Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems Enda has taken to poking the Irish Language Community with a stick.

Options
  • 15-07-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

“Lads, did ye hear the one about the Minister of the Gaeltacht who couldn’t speak Irish?” Essentially, that is what the Taoiseach is asking us while trying to keep a straight face.

Our politicians have often shown great ingenuity in finding new ways to undermine the language while simultaneously professing their unceasing commitment to its promotion, but for sheer audacity and shamelessness Enda Kenny has now set the bar higher than anyone imagined it could go.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/treibh/they-wouldn-t-would-they-1.1867225#.U8VoY3YwsYo.email

It seems that one major protest on the streets of Dublin this year are not enough for Enda. Needless stupidity seems to be the hallmark of this government unfortunatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

kowloon wrote: »
    Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht?

No Minister of State for the Gaeltacht, who cant speak Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

GaelMise wrote: »
    It seems that one major protest on the streets of Dublin this year are not enough for Enda.

Ah now. He wouldn't give in to the Garth Brooks protestors, he'll never back down to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Can he not learn?

The biggest reason most people are turned off Irish is this elitist attitude that native irish speakers have. If you are not a native speaker there is derision where there should be two open arms for a dying language.

I would think a minister learning the language would resonate more with the public than this martyr reaction

Like that twit on tg4 going round to people in Dublin speaking Irish most of whom werent even Irish and then acting like they were the morons.

Drop the condecension. We are all sick of ye.

c_man wrote: »
    Ah now. He wouldn't give in to the Garth Brooks protestors, he'll never back down to ye.

There were more Irish Language protesters, and we will still be protesting long after Brooks is forgotten.

• Advertisement

Can he not learn?

The biggest reason most people are turned off Irish is this elitist attitude that native irish speakers have. If you are not a native speaker there is derision where there should be two open arms for a dying language.

Like that twit on tg4 going round to people in Dublin speaking Irish most of whom werent even Irish and then acting like they were the morons.

Drop the condecension. We are all sick of ye.

You think it is elitist and condecending to expect the Minister with responsibility for the Gaeltacht to be able to speak Irish?
    Sure he can learn, but I doubt he will learn fast enough to be ready for his first official engagement tomorrow at 9:30.
    In one move the Department has moved from opperating through Irish to having to opperate through English.
    Its nothing short of a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

As gaeilge, le do thoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jaysus sure our dear leader can't debate- in a parliamentary democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/treibh/they-wouldn-t-would-they-1.1867225#.U8VoY3YwsYo.email

It seems that one major protest on the streets of Dublin this year are not enough for Enda. Needless stupidity seems to be the hallmark of this government unfortunatly.

Why are you protesting about this decision 'as bearla' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

He probably can't do a "pas de deux" or mix lime mortar for an 18th century stone wall neither. Let us hope he can fill out the EU grant applications paperwork for the people who can.

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why are you protesting about this decision 'as bearla' ?

That would mainly be because if I did so in Irish on this forum, I would be banned.
    Rest assured I will be protesting about it as Gaeilge outside the Dept. Of An Taoiseach tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

That would mainly be because if I did so in Irish on this forum, I would be banned.
    Rest assured I will be protesting about it as Gaeilge outside the Dept. Of An Taoiseach tomorrow.

Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

There's an Irish part of After Hours up the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You mean like pretty much every other Minister that the Gaeltacht had? Seems there wasn't many who could actually speak Irish.

Next you'll be saying that the minister of health looked like a health warning...

You've more chance or a protest over GB concert not happening, tbh.

the_syco wrote: »
    You mean like pretty much every other Minister that the Gaeltacht had? Seems there wasn't many who could actually speak Irish.

Actually this is the first time that neither Senior or Junior Minister could speak Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

This thread might be of interest to you:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056411706/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Do we also have a Minister for Chocolate Teapots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Goodness me that's rather thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thats a bit odd. It is also odd that irish speakers were protesting before this supposedly, about what I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It might seem like sentimental nostalgia, and there will be people who will say "the world has moved on, and we need to move with it", but I often think that if we were brave enough, and determined to put our minds to it, we could recreate the times of a few hundred years ago when speaking Irish was illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If Enda really wanted to poke the gaeilgeoirí with a stick, he would have appointed Damien English as Minister for the Gaeltacht. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Of all the issues I have with Enda and his government (and there are many!), this is hardly one of them.

But to keep the Irish lobby happy, it seems the new Minister will be getting a refresher course

"Problem" solved!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Same way that Sean Sherlock isn't fluent in research and innovation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The track record of Ministers for Finance obviously not having a great grasp on things that we've had recently is grand I guess.

Change the record OP, there's a big difference between people deliberately provoking the Irish speaking community and nobody giving a shít.

Same way that Sean Sherlock isn't fluent in research and innovation?

To be fair there is probably an argument to be made that Sean Sherlock's mere presence is as damaging to the work of that Dept as is the case with a non-Irish speaking Minister for the Gaeltacht, but this case is particularly blatent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Of all the issues I have with Enda and his government (and there are many!), this is hardly one of them.

But to keep the Irish lobby happy, it seems the new Minister will be getting a refresher course

"Problem" solved!

Send him on an 8-track player repair course next.

Or teach him how to fix tube TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Send him on an 8-track player repair course next.

Or teach him how to fix tube TVs.

actually, those are probably skills that could earn someone a decent living.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

He's the Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs. There's more to the job than speaking fcuking Irish.

He's the Minister of State at the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs. There's more to the job than speaking fcuking Irish.

His specific brief in that department is the Gaeltacht. So one of the main fcuking requirements of the fcuking job is speaking fcuking Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

His specific brief in that department is the Gaeltacht. So one of the main fcuking requirements of the fcuking job is speaking fcuking Irish.

As others have fcuking said and has been fcuking reported he's going to fcuking take a fcuking refresher course to fcuking learn the fcuking language to be able to fcuking use it when needed to do his fcuking job. And as I fcuking said there's more to the fcuking job than speaking fcuking Irish.

Advertisement