Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

smash wrote: »
    Group of hackers Imitation hacker against water charges

So what? What's he actually going to do? Why is this news?

They will hack the IW twitter account & sow seeds of dispair by giving contradictory information on who is liable for charges in rented properties.

Capitalism will accordingly collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Look at the video - "Hello citizens of the world, we are Anonyomous"??

If they can't even spell their own name then I wouldn't be shaking in my shoes if I was Irish Water.

Clowns.

ETA - Apparently the original version of this video was put on the maker's youtube channel, along with his ice bucket challenge. What a genius!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92593629&postcount=703

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

20Cent wrote: »
    Isn't that what anonymous is anyone can make one of those videos put out an issue? No leadership or anything central just people proposing ops and hoping others will join in.

Don't quite think it works like that - True there is no "leadership" per se , but there is certainly a collective to which you must belong to be Anonymous

See Wiki - Appreciate that this is Wikipedia , but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They will hack the IW twitter account & sow seeds of dispair by giving contradictory information on who is liable for charges in rented properties.

Capitalism will accordingly collapse.
    Chaos and Anarchy I tells ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FREETV wrote: »
    We already have bailed out the Banks and the Bondholders, pay Property Tax, VAT, Income Tax and pay for treatment of water and sewage.
    Cancer and heart attack/strokes levels are very high here because of the amount of Chlorine/Fluoride in tap water and homogenised and pasteurised milk, beer, soft drinks etc.

I work hard and I never begrude others of anything.
    Well we have over decades just got by with water production and wastewater facilities - it is ridiculous underfunded ... Old pumps, old leaking pipes (still a lot of asbestos), old water treatment plants, old reservoirs ... And that's just the water side of it.

I work hard too but I want others to pay for water too, you can't have something for nothing - that's what got us in trouble.

• Advertisement

Cancer and heart attack/strokes levels are very high here because of the amount of Chlorine/Fluoride in tap water

As someone who claims to work in the education sector, you'd think you'd be smart enough to know this isn't true.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I only watched a bit of it, but the video is terribly put together.

Most likely put together by Irish water protesters.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We already have bailed out the Banks and the Bondholders, pay Property Tax, VAT, Income Tax and pay for treatment of water and sewage.
    Cancer and heart attack/strokes levels are very high here because of the amount of Chlorine/Fluoride in tap water and homogenised and pasteurised milk, beer, soft drinks etc.

I work hard and I never begrudge others of anything.

More conspiracy theory nonsense.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Nope. You really don't.
    Well like, why should taxpayers fund water through General taxation? ... Why not pay for petrol or diesel through General taxation?

If you use water you pay for it ... It's as simple as that - everyone with their own wells out the country have been doing so for decades... Yet we don't attack IW employees or Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Money and the lack of it are the reasons why people are dying of starvation everyday worldwide or homeless and living in despair.

No, mans greed and lack of empathy for his fellow human is the reason for that. Money is just the vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IDpXCev5mk

It is a Conspiracy and not nonsense.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No, mans greed and lack of empathy for his fellow human is the reason for that. Money is just the vehicle
    Yes, well I hope that the vehicle will someday crash and burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

irishfeen wrote: »
    Well like, why should taxpayers fund water through General taxation? ... Why not pay for petrol or diesel through General taxation?

If you use water you pay for it ... It's as simple as that - everyone with their own wells out the country have been doing so for decades... Yet we don't attack IW employees or Gardai.

Don't be silly.

Fuel is not the same type of utility as water is.

Paying for water is fine. It's how we're made pay for it and whom we're paying.

Irish Water shouldn't exist. It's a quango of FG's buddies that's grease for full privatisation and that should never happen to a public utility like water.

They've already pissed away millions.

As someone who claims to work in the education sector, you'd think you'd be smart enough to know this isn't true.
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/chlorine-cancer-and-heart-disease/

Scientists say so.

“Chlorine is so dangerous, that it should be banned. Putting chlorine in the water is like starting a time bomb. Cancer, heart trouble, premature senility, both mental and physical are conditions attributable to chlorine, used in treated water supplies. It is making us grow old before our time by producing symptoms of ageing such as hardening of the arteries. I believe if chlorine were now proposed for the first time to be used in drinking water it would be banned by the Food and Drug Administration."
    - Biologist/chemist Dr. Herbert Schwartz

Case closed then.

Shouldn't you be in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Anonymous pronouncements increasingly bang of Royal Announcements.

Don't be silly.

Fuel is not the same type of utility as water is.

Paying for water is fine. It's how we're made pay for it and whom we're paying.

Irish Water shouldn't exist. It's a quango of FG's buddies that's grease for full privatisation and that should never happen to a public utility like water.

They've already pissed away millions.
    So you don't have any issue in actually paying for water? ... Just to Irish water? Ha you talk to millions - do you not realise IW will have to invest billions upon billions of euro to bring our water and wastewater networks up to speed?

Would you agree to pay more then the current proposed rates to your local county council?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Back to the topic, please.

So you don't have any issue in actually paying for water?

That's what I've said.

I object to the privatisation of something like water provision. Something as precious and as essential as water should NEVER belong in the hands of a private business concern.

What should have been done was to fix the issues during the boom times, but the powers that be weren't interested in that.

Now, the better solution is to raise taxes on a temporary basis, ring fence the money accrued, fix the problems and then ease back the taxes once that's complete.

With the situation that's been forced upon people (which NOBODY voted for), we are just going to end up with an ever rising bill used to fill the pockets of people who shouldn't be making profit off of such a utility.

Don't be surprised when in a few years you'll be looking at a grand for your water bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Really don't understand the opposition to the water tax - every other OECD country has a water tax... The amount of people in this country who wants stuff for nothing is ridiculous. If you live out the country you have to sink a well, pay for the pipes, pay the electricty to run the pumps, sink a septic tank, clean out the tank etc. yet people don't want to pay in towns and cities.

There is now a massive divide between people who work hard, pay taxes and keep their head down to support their family and those who want everything for nothing at the expense of the rest.

I hear the stupid argument that "oh it rains a lot in Ireland and we still have to pay for it" ... Do people not realise how much work goes into capturing water, storing water and distributing water to homes ... Then there is wastewater - pipes, wastewater treatment plants, sludge disposal, effluent testing etc.

People would really want to fcuk off and stop wanting everything for nothing - how are all these protesters getting the time to abuse IW workers and Gardai during the day?? Most of us don't have the time unless we go during our 30min break.

There are also people who work hard, pay taxes and have fcuk all left at the end of the week/month after bills and other costs. The new poor they are called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People who refuse to pay won't be anonymous.

There are also people who work hard, pay taxes and have fcuk all left at the end of the week/month after bills and other costs. The new poor they are called.
    Yeah I understand that and the government brought in measures to help families on Tuesday ... So who should fund water so? ... You can't have it the case that the taxman is called on again to crucify working families, some who don't even use public water. You pay for what you use after the government allowance and low income family help.

The days of getting everything for nothing is over, property tax and water taxes are essential to fund services... It was Irish cute hoor politics which prevented them from being introduced in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never heard of them.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Per use or is there a free allowance available up front??

There is, if you hand over your PPS number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Letters sent to RAS tenants in Wicklow by Wicklow CC that if these tenants do not comply with IW and pay the water charge that they are at risk of losing their RAS.
    And therfore their homes.
    An absolute new low.

Smidge wrote: »
    Letters sent to RAS tenants in Wicklow by Wicklow CC that if these tenants do not comply with IW and pay the water charge that they are at risk of losing their RAS.
    An absolute new low.
    The "At risk" there is probably the major thing - that won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Smidge wrote: »
    An absolute new low.

Expecting people who are being subsidised by the taxpayers to actually chip in a bit and help out with improving the Countries finances?

Good God!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

With the situation that's been forced upon people (which NOBODY voted for)

I am sorry but this is patently not true.

It was a clear point in their manifesto that they would set up IW in line with the bailout program.

They were, on this at least, upfront and honest about their intentions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

With the situation that's been forced upon people (which NOBODY voted for),

Your absolutely right we also didn't vote for them to keep taking taxes off us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Expecting people who are being subsidised by the taxpayers to actually chip in a bit and help out with improving the Countries finances?

Good God!!!

Lol.
    Point missed completely.
    The scheme is in place whether you or I like it or not.
    So you think it's perfectly fine for a government department to threaten householders who by the state are already considered vulnerable, hence the payment, with eviction from their homes if they do not comply with a private company (and no point in denying that it is anything else, that won't wash)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement