Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Technofobe wrote: »
    Is it not a case of pressing record again and you get an option to stop recording ?

Will get up out o bed and try it back in a min

That's how I stop the recording as well it gives a list of what's recording and you just select the one to stop. You can also browse movies hit the red button to delete something you are currently recording and it asked if you want to stop it or stop and delete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

That's how I stop the recording as well it gives a list of what's recording and you just select the one to stop. You can also browse movies hit the red button to delete something you are currently recording and it asked if you want to stop it or stop and delete it.

Just tried it there and had no problem watching other chanells after stopping the recording

I did have an issue last week or so where I got a blank screen but pretty sure what happened on that occasion was that while watching a chanell and recording same chanell I changed over to a different chanell and got a black screen
    Will test it out further in a bit as wifey is watching tv now

Backup openATV 13-12-14 if anyone wants to give it a go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qvurr26namahyl/Backup%20openATV%20%2013-12-14.7z?dl=0

Just tried it there and had no problem watching other chanells after stopping the recording

I did have an issue last week or so where I got a blank screen but pretty sure what happened on that occasion was that while watching a chanell and recording same chanell I changed over to a different chanell and got a black screen
    Will test it out further in a bit as wifey is watching tv now

Backup openATV 13-12-14 if anyone wants to give it a go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qvurr26namahyl/Backup%20openATV%20%2013-12-14.7z?dl=0

Thanks I'll give your backup a try later and see, once I don't stop the recording the CH are fine although there is some breakup on the RTE HD CH. Its after I stop it its like the tuner is knocked off also I tried manually disabling and reenabling the tuner no joy.
    On one image I was able to unmount and remout the hard drive and they all came back but when I try that on OATV it can't unmount as it's busy I presume with the swap and EPG etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

OK, it's another way to stop recordings - but if you go to "Restart GUI", it still "thinks" the Recordings are ongoing. "Recording(s) are in progress or coming up in a few seconds! Really restart now ?"

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

Thanks I'll give your backup a try later and see, once I don't stop the recording the CH are fine although there is some breakup on the RTE HD CH. Its after I stop it its like the tuner is knocked off also I tried manually disabling and reenabling the tuner no joy.
    On one image I was able to unmount and remout the hard drive and they all came back but when I try that on OATV it can't unmount as it's busy I presume with the swap and EPG etc.
    Hey Kenny
    Any chance you can have a look at your display while in stand by or deep standby

Is the power led red or green

Also are the icons on the vfd working on yours
    In spark there are icons in the display ( VFD ) for HD and usb and other stuff
    Do these work on yours in openATV ?
    Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

hi guys just installed the hyperion 4.5 image.very happy with it but is there any way to set a different channel when u reboot as it shows rte1 hd which shows tune failed.any ideas thanks

I just reloaded champs image I have a RED LED on Standby and Green when On, Only Time and CH on the display.

Champ is right when trying to restart GUI it still thinks its recording.

I also noticed if you record and stop the recording without changing channel there is no problem all still works.
    So if you are recording satellite and don't switch to terrestrial and stop the recording you wont loose the CH

hi guys just installed the hyperion 4.5 image.very happy with it but is there any way to set a different channel when u reboot as it shows rte1 hd which shows tune failed.any ideas thanks

Go into your bouquets select the CH you want press Menu and set as start up service.

Go into your bouquets select the CH you want press Menu and set as start up service.
    thankk you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

I just reloaded champs image I have a RED LED on Standby and Green when On, Only Time and CH on the display.

I also noticed if you record and stop the recording without changing channel there is no problem all still works.
    So if you are recording satellite and don't switch to terrestrial and stop the recording you wont loose the CH

I reloaded champs image today and just had a similar issue but with timeshift. Had timeshift on RTE One - switched to BBC on SAT and it asked to turn off time shift which I did without saving. I watched BBC and then went back to RTE which was now black. All the Saorview channels were now black and only restarting the box got them back :(

• Advertisement

I just did a few more checks once you don't switch between Satellite and Terrestrial while recording you won't loose the channels.
    The problem with re-starting the GUI is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You are right its not just champs image, its all OATV images, HDMU is also affected and Hyperion V4 doesn't work at all.

On a side note in Hyperion V4.5 the swap file size is 64MB is this sufficient?

That recording issue has always been present in HDMU images even on the original Alien 2 model.

Is the recording issue present on original Alien 2 receivers or is it just the AA2+ ?

64Mb swap size is more than adequate ,I have never seen my receiver use more than 15Mb of Swap size ,it normally only uses 1-2Mb.
    It would be nice if they increased the internal memory from 128Mb to 256Mb as it would increase performance and solve alot of memory issues.

Zardoz wrote: »
    That recording issue has always been present in HDMU images even on the original Alien 2 model.

Is the recording issue present on original Alien 2 receivers or is it just the AA2+ ?

64Mb swap size is more than adequate ,I have never seen my receiver use more than 15Mb of Swap size ,it normally only uses 1-2Mb.
    It would be nice if they increased the internal memory from 128Mb to 256Mb as it would increase performance and solve alot of memory issues.

I haven't tried HDMU on anything else to be honest.

I haven't tried HDMU on anything else to be honest.

Sorry I meant the OpenAtv image ,i.e is the recording issue present on original revisions of the Alien 2 .

Its a huge bug ,its the main reason I went back to Hyperion from HDMU .

Zardoz wrote: »
    Sorry I meant the OpenAtv image ,i.e is the recording issue present on original revisions of the Alien 2 .

Its a huge bug ,its the main reason I went back to Hyperion from HDMU .

I don't have an original AA2 I only have a GMT+ I will try it on that when its free again.

I don't have an original AA2 I only have a GMT+ I will try it on that when its free again.

I have the original GMT ,I'll try it on that .

Thanks for checking that
    I have green led when on & when in standby or deep standby still green

Loaded champs image on my box and still same green when on and standby

If I tell it no led in standby the led still stays on
    Small but annoying

what version frontprocessor version do you see in openwebif box info
    Thanks

Mine is the AA2+

Front Processor Version 3, when I check with champs image

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

We gave one of these to the Girlfirend's Dad for Christmas, its one of the newer boxes.

I went with the Champs ATV Image as ATV looks pretty nice and seems easier to use.

But the box has got stuck in a bootloop twice since installing the ATV image, and the only way I could get it to boot back into enigma again was to re-install.

Any idea what might be causing this? I just re-installed now so I don't have logs, but I can grab them the next time it happens (hopefully it doesn't).

All I have set up is $ and Saorview. There is only one sat cable if that would make a difference.

Its Spark version 1.2.72

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Did you disable the second satellite tuner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Nope, should have mentioned that, it blue screened when i tried to edit the tuner configuration (the first two times, didn't bother this time!)

Is it possible to edit it via telnet or ftp?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

We gave one of these to the Girlfirend's Dad for Christmas, its one of the newer boxes.

I went with the Champs ATV Image as ATV looks pretty nice and seems easier to use.

But the box has got stuck in a bootloop twice since installing the ATV image, and the only way I could get it to boot back into enigma again was to re-install.

Any idea what might be causing this? I just re-installed now so I don't have logs, but I can grab them the next time it happens (hopefully it doesn't).

All I have set up is $ and Saorview. There is only one sat cable if that would make a difference.

Its Spark version 1.2.72

Thanks!

latest version of spark 1.2.73 , wont effect e2 but good to have it updated as a backup

championc wrote: »
    I purposely added CrossEPG 0.6.2 rather than 0.8.1 due to downloading and updating issues

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **

tried to install these 2 images but none wont boot...just says boot on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liverpoolee

Hi fellas, I'm having trouble lately on playback of files on my box. It will randomly freeze when playing back a recorded file ( even from a Freeview channel ).
    When I tranfer a 1080p file over to the box via ftp it is awful. Stuttering, pixelation and skipping , the sound goes in and out. When I play the same file in my tv or bluray player via usb it's perfect.
    If I could try and describe it it would be that the processor is struggling to cope or the hdd is struggling. (It's a good Samsung m3 one).
    The cool tv guide takes forever to come on. It's like the box is struggling to free up some power or memory. I'm running swap file on the hdd to try and free up some more ram. Is there a way of freeing up more power whilst I'm playing these files or should I ditch for something more powerful like the technomate t3 ?

I'm running Hyperion 4 image. Pkteam

Hi fellas, I'm having trouble lately on playback of files on my box. It will randomly freeze when playing back a recorded file ( even from a Freeview channel ).
    When I tranfer a 1080p file over to the box via ftp it is awful. Stuttering, pixelation and skipping , the sound goes in and out. When I play the same file in my tv or bluray player via usb it's perfect.
    If I could try and describe it it would be that the processor is struggling to cope. The cool tv guide takes forever to come on. It's like the box is struggling to free up some power. I'm running swap file on the hdd to try and free up some more ram. Is there a way of freeing up more power whilst I'm playing these files or should I ditch for something more powerful like the technomate t3 ?

I'm running Hyperion 4 image. Pkteam
    Have you tried cacheflush
    Or uninstall some plugins

Have you tried cacheflush
    Or uninstall some plugins
    How do i do that?
    Is it a blue panel thingy somewhere or a downloadable plugin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Unfortunately these boxes aren't blessed with Memory. So the more plugins that are loaded, the less Memory that will remain. I made the image with NO HDD attached and it saved it with a completed download of CrossEPG data. So it may be worth deleting the /var/crossepg/data directory, to free up a chunk. It's also always worth deleting any plugins which you have no intention of ever using.

It's already running bare bones mate. Hardly anything on it. Not even using timeshift.
    I already clean up that crossepg folder every month or so. The problem seems to be getting worse. Don't remember it ever doing this in the beginning. Especially the freezing bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Firstly thanks to Champs and everyone that contributes to this thread/forum its been a huge help to me getting my AA2+ running.

An annoyance of mine has always been the lack of internal storage so after a couple of bottles of wine I decided to do something about it!

Originally I had hoped to remove the front USB port and just present it internally but once I disassembled the box I discovered that it's soldered to the front panel board so that was out. The solder pads for the front USB port are just big enough to be forgiving of my poor soldering skills so I decided to give it a go.

Tools and required bits!
    Philips head
    Soldering Iron
    Solder
    Snips or scissors
    Glue gun or maybe some small cable ties
    Double sided Sticky tape
    USB Extension Cable
    USB Drive and cable

Disassembling the AA2+ is very easy 3 screws secure the cover and 2 more with 5 plastic retaining clips the front panel. There are 5 cables connected to the main board from the front panel board these come away easy enough but are located very close to some on-board components so be careful! You'll also need to snip a cable ti to fully remove the front panel.

Remove the 5 screws holding the front panel board to the bezel and prise it up gently. See pic 1 (Sorry the pics where taken after I completed and tested!) this shows the front panel board back in situ and had covered my poor soldering in hot glue! under the glue are the 4 pads and the back of the front USB port from left to right the pads are vcc d- d+ gnd I cut the plug off a usb extension cable and stripped back the outer sheath revealing the 4 internal cables Red is vcc or 5v, Data - is white, Data + is Green and Ground is Black I soldered these cables to the pads and fixed them in place with the hot glue now I had an internal usb port to work with. I screwed the board back onto the bezel and reinstalled it on the box routing the usb extension back into the box. (Pic 2)

Next I had to secure the hdd in place (Pic 3)I used the double sided sticky tape and secured it the the outer case. I also used a USB 2.5" caddy that has the same form factor as an external usb hdd as this would allow me change the drive with out having to remove the case and sticky tape. Be careful here as space is limited and you need to think about how it will fit when putting everything back together including where you'll run the cables to connect it. I had to reposition slightly off center as the the drive pushing down on the ribbon cables and connectors preventing a snug fit. It's impossible not to block some ventilation holes but there's plenty and my box has never run hot(yet!)

Once that's done its just a matter of putting everything back together so just reverse the dis-assembly process and you're done. Pic 4 shows the finished mod before I closed up the box. Setup the drive as normal and that's it.

Hope this helps someone!

Brilliant.

I remember folks on the previous version of this thread asking if anyone had tried this. there were rumours of others having done it, but no conclusive proof.

Well done. (hope the sticky tape stays stuck!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

tried to install these 2 images but none wont boot...just says boot on screen

try using the back usb port and force upload.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement