Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

deezell wrote: »
    It took a week for my Hyperion install to fail, and this had epg set to hourly updates. I currently have it set to HDD, but I'm going to keep an eye on the local memory, I think that's where the problem lies.

Just to clarify deezell ,its hourly update when in standby ,so if you dont use Standby it wont update at all.

Also ,Crossepg 0.8.1 seems to be more temperamental than earlier builds.
    I've noticed it on a number of different receivers ,it seems to like creating a new database every few days instead of modifying the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

Slevster wrote: »
    You could Ftp into the box and have a route around. Look to see if crossepg is creating any files outside of the hdd.
    I had a look like you suggested, and while the Hdd now had a folder in it named movies, because i'd clicked on the record button, it did not have any crossepg stuff. Now I just kicked off record for a few minute to put some stuff in the movies folder, to make sure it was working. It did, but when I manually stopped the recording, I got tuner blanking ala OpenAtv, which is why I moved to hyperion. Not good. I rebooted, then went into crossepg menu and downloaded. It succeeded. I then FTP checked and this time the cross databases are on the HDD. I'm still worried about that blanking, it was the finalstraw for me with OpenAtv. I'll let things settle for a while, maybe do a reflash, pay careful attention to where cross databases are being created. I'd like to have the disk as EXT3, so I might reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Zardoz wrote: »
    Just to clarify deezell ,its hourly update when in standby ,so if you dont use Standby it wont update at all.

Is there any advantage to an hourly update?

I had a look like you suggested, and while the Hdd now had a folder in it named movies, because i'd clicked on the record button, it did not have any crossepg stuff. Now I just kicked off record for a few minute to put some stuff in the movies folder, to make sure it was working. It did, but when I manually stopped the recording, I got tuner blanking ala OpenAtv, which is why I moved to hyperion. Not good. I rebooted, then went into crossepg menu and downloaded. It succeeded. I then FTP checked and this time the cross databases are on the HDD. I'm still worried about that blanking, it was the finalstraw for me with OpenAtv. I'll let things settle for a while, maybe do a reflash, pay careful attention to where cross databases are being created. I'd like to have the disk as EXT3, so I might reformat.

Did you say before, that you only have one sat feed in. ie only one sat tuner and the terrestrial aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

Certainly 0.6.2 was safer than 0.8.1. However, up to about 1 month ago, OpenATV would NOT run processes in the backround. So neither CrossEPG nor AutoTimer were working. It was then fixed with a software update.

So for those of you on OpenATV, if you haven't done a software update, then i strongly suggest you do it.

• Advertisement

Did you say before, that you only have one sat feed in. ie only one sat tuner and the terrestrial aerial?

Correct, originally looped to the second tuner but I disabled that as per a tip from a recent post, though I'm not sure how that would benefit the operation of crossepg. I'll restore it back and test record again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hi

I'm having trouble tuning my terrestrial channels on Vix4 image on amiko alien 2.

I know what frequencies I need but don't know what to put in for inversion, symbol rate, modulation and FEC.

My frequencies are 652 and 685.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Hi

I'm having trouble tuning my terrestrial channels on Vix4 image on amiko alien 2.

I know what frequencies I need but don't know what to put in for inversion, symbol rate, modulation and FEC.

My frequencies are 652 and 685.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Those are settings for satellite, all you need for dtt are frequencies and bandwidth, which is 8 Mhz for saorview.

Thanks. The Vix image isn't giving me the same options as openatv.

When I go for manual scan in tuner a I have c(t/t2/c)(dub-c)

Type of scan single transponder
    Frequency
    Inversion
    Symbol rate
    Modulation
    FEC
    Network scan

I was used to the old bandwidth method and cannot understand how to arrange this or why I am not getting access to my aerial.

Thanks

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Thanks. The Vix image isn't giving me the same options as openatv.

When I go for manual scan in tuner a I have c(t/t2/c)(dub-c)

Type of scan single transponder
    Frequency
    Inversion
    Symbol rate
    Modulation
    FEC
    Network scan

I was used to the old bandwidth method and cannot understand how to arrange this or why I am not getting access to my aerial.

Thanks
    looks like your tuner is set up for cable TV (DVB C) you need to select terrestrial (DVB T). Those frequencies dont correspond to any saorview channels

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I saw the cable but I can't find the option for dvb t. The image won't allow me to choose it. Has anyone ever used this vix4 image.

Correct, originally looped to the second tuner but I disabled that as per a tip from a recent post, though I'm not sure how that would benefit the operation of crossepg. I'll restore it back and test record again later.

Have you retested your blank screen scenario ?
    The second tuner would seem to me the first place to look. So would agree that disabling the second tuner on the box, would seem to be the thing to do . hopefully it was a blip

Hi

Tried several options but none have given me terrestrial option. Completed factory reset and started again but could not get any joy. Returning to the old reliables instead. If its not broken, don't fix it!!!

Thanks

Have you retested your blank screen scenario ?
    The second tuner would seem to me the first place to look. So would agree that disabling the second tuner on the box, would seem to be the thing to do . hopefully it was a blip

No, but just now sorted timeshift, it was going nowhere either, had to explicitly set the disk as the location, ( NTFS formatted disk is showing as sda3 and sda5, with 5 being the actual storage partition) I restored tuner C, set it to "same as B", which I presume means same dish source? Anyway, I done that, changed a few Cool buttons to my preference, made a backup, and retired. I'll set a timer for something and see tomorrow if the dtt is still working. I realise now that during my test recording in single tuner mode, a number of things happened. While recording, the sat channels greyed out, obviously you can't change while recording a fixed time timer setup. I tried to change to dtt and just got blank. I tried to stop recording and it didn't respond initially, so the whole thing was a mess requiring reboot. I'll do a few tests of different timer option in a more controlled manner, see can i get consistent results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

.........I realise now that during my test recording in single tuner mode, a number of things happened. While recording, the sat channels greyed out, obviously you can't change while recording a fixed time timer setup. ......
    If you have only one feed, the tuner is busy during a record and you will only access the same TP.

Setting c = b only sets the same tuning parameters. You would need to actually loop the sat ports and even then you would still be restricted to whatever polarity/band the first feed is watching.

So the loop setting internally makes the connection, though you're still restricted to the same TP. Tried a record from satellite, while showing saorview on the tv, and watching another sat channel. ( from same TP) on a stream. It all worked, recording ended and terrestrial and stream kept going. I'll try something similar next with an on demand recording with a forced stop.

So the loop setting internally makes the connection, though you're still restricted to the same TP. Tried a record from satellite, while showing saorview on the tv, and watching another sat channel. ( from same TP) on a stream. It all worked, recording ended and terrestrial and stream kept going. I'll try something similar next with an on demand recording with a forced stop.
    No there is no internal connection. Also be aware, streaming a channel locks the tuner in the same way as a recording.

No there is no internal connection. Also be aware, streaming a channel locks the tuner in the same way as a recording.

What's the difference in the tuner setting, ' B same as C' and ' B looped through to C' or something like that. I noticed on record with a single tuner that the sat list was blanked. This would prevent watching on the telly another sat channel from the same TP, but i can do this at least as a stream when I have two tuners on and looped.

What's the difference in the tuner setting, ' B same as C' and ' B looped through to C' or something like that. I noticed on record with a single tuner that the sat list was blanked. This would prevent watching on the telly another sat channel from the same TP, but i can do this at least as a stream when I have two tuners on and looped.

AFAIK "B equal C" means they share the same tuning information. You don't have to scan each one separately.

"B loopthrough C" lets the box know you have only one feed and an external cable looping between the two tuners. It would turn off the power output on C to stop the tuners "fighting" each other.

That makes sense, so how does it work with two LNB feeds and two tuners. Is it transparent to the user, with the box taking care of which tuner is used after you press record say, then want to watch a different channel. Or if you are recording, can you change channel to the recording on the fly ( tho why you'd want to I can't Imagine,). Is there just the one bouquet set, or ones for each tuner? I'll get up on the roof and drop another line, I've a spare on the quad LNB ( tv room and old tuner has two from when I had an old skybox with the Edision, but I'm not allowed in there to mess.. I'll have a good fiddle after I've installed the second feed.

• Advertisement

With two feeds properly configured, the box is clever enough to juggle the tuners as required. You don't need to worry about them. Just remember that a streaming channel uses one tuner so you can't do two satellite recordings of other TPs at the same time.
    For example if you were streaming one sat ch while watching another and a timer came along. The box will switch to the recording channel automatically (with a warning message).

With two feeds properly configured, the box is clever enough to juggle the tuners as required. You don't need to worry about them. Just remember that a streaming channel uses one tuner so you can't do two satellite recordings of other TPs at the same time.
    For example if you were streaming one sat ch while watching another and a timer came along. The box will switch to the recording channel automatically (with a warning message).
    Ran a new feed down, set B=C, all seems to work. Watch saorview, record movie, stream BBC at the same time. Watch Sat, record another sat, stream from the same TP as i'm watching. I havn't tried, or even worked out, all the permutations. Pressing info on the TV shows A, B, or say B and C when using both with a little flashing red record button. I pressed record at one stage and it killed the stream, but I got it back. No blanking of terrestrial tuner, its all good.

Happy to hear you got sorted. You can now explore the full potential of the box ;)

Happy to hear you got sorted. You can now explore the full potential of the box ;)

It's a brilliant box to be sure once you get the hang of it. I'm thinking though that some of my problems could be due to using an image that has been created with different components. I thinking in particular about the hard disk and it's recognition by the box. Although the image had hdd referred to in various settings, crossepg, record, timeshift, I had to remount my disk and reassign the settings to the partition by name before everything worked. Perhaps because my Hdd is a different brand, format, capacity to that used when the image was created, some settings failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Perhaps because my Hdd is a different brand, format, capacity to that used when the image was created, some settings failed.

Format is vital in my experience. If someone creates a backup with a Hdd formatted in FAT32. Then this backup is but on receiver with EXT3 format for example, or any other format, it will not function properly.
    I have learnt this the hard way!!

givecredit wrote: »
    Format is vital in my experience. If someone creates a backup with a Hdd formatted in FAT32. Then this backup is but on receiver with EXT3 format for example, or any other format, it will not function properly.
    I have learnt this the hard way!!
    That must be it so, the image was expecting Zardoz' disk, but mine was different, name, capacity, partition name(s). So when using a fresh image thats not your own, unmount any disks that show in the disk manager, and mount your own device from the device list, then assign this to the Record, timeshift and crossEPG storage loacation settings. In Hyperion you have to press "Menu" when in the storage device area to bring up a sub menu which allows you to select "file list", only when in this can you navigate to the actual list of storage devices, and there you should see your HDD. Mine was referrd to as SDA3 and SDA5, these being the two partitions on an NTFS formatted disk. I'll probably revert to EXT3 now that I know the routine for unmount/mount and how to actually discover the device in storage settings. If your record or timeshift settings on a fresh image refers to your storage device as "HDD/Media or "HDD/Movies", there is no guarantee that this actually is connecting to your particular disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Openatv 5.0 is out for the Alien 2 if anyone is brave enough to give it a go

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/5.0/index.php?open=amikoalien

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

I'm wondering if anybody has had the same issue as me on Zardos image. If I'm recording a satellite channel saorview becomes pixelated and unwatchable, I have tested in another house and its still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

That must be it so, the image was expecting Zardoz' disk, but mine was different, name, capacity, partition name(s). So when using a fresh image thats not your own, unmount any disks that show in the disk manager, and mount your own device from the device list, then assign this to the Record, timeshift and crossEPG storage loacation settings. In Hyperion you have to press "Menu" when in the storage device area to bring up a sub menu which allows you to select "file list", only when in this can you navigate to the actual list of storage devices, and there you should see your HDD. Mine was referrd to as SDA3 and SDA5, these being the two partitions on an NTFS formatted disk. I'll probably revert to EXT3 now that I know the routine for unmount/mount and how to actually discover the device in storage settings. If your record or timeshift settings on a fresh image refers to your storage device as "HDD/Media or "HDD/Movies", there is no guarantee that this actually is connecting to your particular disk.

I'd suggest though, that if you had two feeds to the two tuners, and your hard disk already formatted to ext3, then the image would have worked straight off with all good. It certainly has done with me, after 3 boxes installed, just the fourth for my friend causing epg problems.
    I'm thinking that he has a faulty tuner though......

• Advertisement

I'm wondering if anybody has had the same issue as me on Zardos image. If I'm recording a satellite channel saorview becomes pixelated and unwatchable, I have tested in another house and its still the same.

Possible that its your hdd.
    Boot into spark, and use the utility in there to test your hdd's ability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement