Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

bappelbe wrote: »
    When is the last time you did a cold restart?
    check how much memory you are using (in the menus)
    if that doesn't work you might need to reflash

Thanks for the quick response!

Last night was the last time I did a cold restart.
    On standby since.
    Turned it on there a half hour ago and was experiencing the aforementioned symptoms.
    However, its absolutely flying now! No lag or anything through the menus at all. This is quite strange.
    Although, looking in InfoPanel, and RAM, its saying that I have 12724 free. Which is a small percentage of the 116144 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Zardoz wrote: »
    Yes it is a twin satellite tuner .

Yes you can record to usb ,although you may need a powered drive .

I've noticed the sound going out of sync a bit on HD channels and the remote going a bit mad when zapping channels quickly on Wetek Theater.
    I will try Openelec later,there is a new version out.

The picture quality on the box is excellent,better than the Alien 2 for SD and HD I reckon.
    ARM processors are supposed to be the best for picture quality ,better than SH4 (Alien 2) and vastly superior to MIPS processors.

This box requires a fair bit of setting up ,its not plug and play if you want a 7 day guide,picons,favourites etc .

Excellent thank you.

Since there is a fair amount of setting up, looks like I'll have to purchase the box and play around with it periodically.
    Is there any sites or anywhere you could advise for setting up guides etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

On standby since.
    Turned it on there a half hour ago and was experiencing the aforementioned symptoms.
    However, its absolutely flying now! No lag or anything through the menus at all. This is quite strange.
    Although, looking in InfoPanel, and RAM, its saying that I have 12724 free. Which is a small percentage of the 116144 total.

Open ATV always has less free ram I'm sure there is a really technical reason for this but I wasn't assed finding out so I started using freshpots image which is hyp 4.5 it runs alot smoother and faster then open ATV with no crashes if it keeps acting up on you try that other one you flash it very same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

On standby since.

Don't worry too much about free ram. I have found that how your hard drive is performing has more effect on lag. Ensure it is mounted with free space. Best for it to be ext3 formatted (but will work if in NTFS format, but may not be as fast ). You can boot into spark, and use the utility in the settings to test the ability of your HDD.
    Also another common lag issue is caused by crossepg saving to internal memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

Slevster wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about free ram. I have found that how your hard drive is performing has more effect on lag. Ensure it is mounted with free space. Best for it to be ext3 formatted (but will work if in NTFS format, but may not be as fast ). You can boot into spark, and use the utility in the settings to test the ability of your HDD.
    Also another common lag issue is caused by crossepg saving to internal memory.

Be careful with that. I looked into it a while back. Most OpenATV images use ramzswap. This basically dedicates the top 20% of RAM for a swap file. So it fills memory to near maximum and then starts to swap out of the 20%. This is however compressed so it gives more memory than would normally be available. The box will always appear to use all the memory it has but will be swapping like mad at that stage. The important figure is how full the swap is. I found this filled up over time and didn't release. The box then slowly ground to a halt and eventually crashed. If it gets slow then do a full restart or power down. This clears the swap for a while. Something is memory leaky but I couldn't find it. The TOP command did not give any clue as to what was using the memory but something plugin or whatever is buggy.......I gave it a secondary swap file on the USB of 264MB but it eventually filled this too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I recently got my hands on an A2 and I have installed Championc's image onto it no bother. (Thank you for the handy readme!)

However, the interface has become quite slow. Scrolling through menus, opening new menus, channel changing etc takes two or three seconds. It often puts up the little Amiko logo loading icon - even on idle. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the installation or am I missing something?

Thank you very much!

In most cases, pausing of the image is caused by the Tuners not being configured for your own setup. I better modify the Readme doc to point this out. This particularly happens when there is no aerial connected, and when the image has one defined.

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

championc wrote: »
    In most cases, pausing of the image is caused by the Tuners not being configured for your own setup. I better modify the Readme doc to point this out. This particularly happens when there is no aerial connected, and when the image has one defined.

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **

Very true about the tuners and lack of aerial. Will grind things to a halt. But always found that it is an almost total halt, that you wont just describe as laggy or slow, but unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭aireng

Just trying to set up a box and for some reason it won't detect the hard drive in the rear usb. Works fine in the front one. I'm using Freshpots Hyperion 4.5. I go to mount page and it only detects it on the front USB. Other hard drives working in both. The hard drive is a Toshiba 500 GB hard drive. Any ideas appreciated.

Just trying to set up a box and for some reason it won't detect the hard drive in the rear usb. Works fine in the front one. I'm using Freshpots Hyperion 4.5. I go to mount page and it only detects it on the front USB. Other hard drives working in both. The hard drive is a Toshiba 500 GB hard drive. Any ideas appreciated. The hard drive is USB 3.0. Could this be the problem?

aireng wrote: »
    Just trying to set up a box and for some reason it won't detect the hard drive in the rear usb. Works fine in the front one. I'm using Freshpots Hyperion 4.5. I go to mount page and it only detects it on the front USB. Other hard drives working in both. The hard drive is a Toshiba 500 GB hard drive. Any ideas appreciated. The hard drive is USB 3.0. Could this be the problem?

Use the HDD mount in the blue panel.
    Use the left or right direction button to bring up different mounting options when you select position 1 (or which ever mount position you are using). Then press ok

May mount for you then

• Advertisement

Use the HDD mount in the blue panel.
    Use the left or right direction button to bring up different mounting options when you select position 1 (or which ever mount position you are using). Then press ok

May mount for you then

Nope It works in the front usb and shows sda1 but won't recognise it in the back, doesn't show anything when I push left or right.

Nope It works in the front usb and shows sda1 but won't recognise it in the back, doesn't show anything when I push left or right.

As in, did you try to mount it as a sdb1 too when sda1 didn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Does it recognise the drive in Spark ?
    The back port on my Triplex is fried ,only the front works since it fell off a table with a usb drive attached to the back port.

I installed the Kodi (xbmc) plugin last night. It works fine. A bit similar to tsmedia , as in a bit slow. But tested the 1 channel addon. Seemed more reliable, with alot of the links working.
    It may be worth investigating, if you like that kind of thing. I downloaded it from Linuxsat support. It does take up some space (approx 11mb )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I installed the Kodi (xbmc) plugin last night. It works fine. A bit similar to tsmedia , as in a bit slow. But tested the 1 channel addon. Seemed more reliable, with alot of the links working.
    It may be worth investigating, if you like that kind of thing. I downloaded it from Linuxsat support. It does take up some space (approx 11mb )

Cool ill check it out, the 1channel addon on its own don't work bad either.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Cool ill check it out, the 1channel addon on its own don't work bad either.

That's true. The stand alone works a lot faster too. But it wasn't finding any links for TV shows for me .

Just wanted to see how the kodi plugin worked to be honest. (Was trying to find a method to cast kodi from an android device to chromecast, and then came across the kodi plugin for enigma 2. And decided to give it a whirl)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Been havin a few recording issues where it's recording as normal but when I go to play it the file size is 0mb. seems to be only satellite channels I think, has this been covered already? It's only sometimes so I'm just trying to figure out what's causing it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

I installed the Kodi (xbmc) plugin last night.

It's already included in my Image :)

Fair play.
    Not surprised, as yourself and the lads usually keep your image backups bang up to date with the latest, from what I read.

Just hadn't seen any talk about it here (the kodi plugin).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

deezell wrote: »
    The pti.ko file fix was meant to be the solution. My box blanked after recording though ithis was installed, but just now had a look at my kernel version, and it's 2.6.32.61_stm24_0216, but the version in the file posted is 2.6.32.61_stm24_0217. As my previous post shows, this module won't work unless the versions match.

Try this one m8 ,all credit to Joeuser of Sattvhelp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

What would be the main difference in using kodi on the AA2 and the welek box described earlier in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Imstuck wrote: »
    What would be the main difference in using kodi on the AA2 and the welek box described earlier in the thread?

Night and day from my experience. I use KODI all the time and like the interface, flexibility and responsiveness. I haven't had much time to play with the plugin for the AA2 as its my Dad's box but it didn't look, feel or respond anything like the KODI/XBMC ice been using for years. It's great that they're trying to add support, but in the form that tried on the AA2 they're a long way off anything is be happy with.

Imstuck wrote: »

As L prof said, kodi on the aa2 bears only a passing resemblance to the PC or android version.
    Its much slower, with an awkward interface and limited functionallity . but does provide a somewhat useful service.
    However it very much a secondary function of the aa2 ( as in, you won't get the aa2 just to use this kind of plugin)
    An android device would be much more capable of running kodi, and so that may well be considered one of its primarily functions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Do you update your image?

Actually, after a bit more extensive testing with the updated version of H4.5 with the audio fix, the fix is not comprehensive.
    Seems that if the audio output is set to PCM in the a/v settings, all is fine. (With "prefer ac3 track" in auto language selection set either to yes or no)
    But if audio source is set to SPDIF and prefer AC3 track set to yes, then there is the delay in audio when switching to certain channels.
    So half a fix. Seems odd that they haven't addressed such an obvious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nickydee

Guys can anybody recommend a stable image for my Amiko Alien 2+
    I have tried the Atv image that came preinstalled with the unit, but had no joy with that one. Then yesterday i put the Vix4 image on, but im unable to view the Irish channels?
    Maybe its just my lack of knowledge in this area. If anyone could give me a dig out it would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Nickydee wrote: »
    Guys can anybody recommend a stable image for my Amiko Alien 2+
    I have tried the Atv image that came preinstalled with the unit, but had no joy with that one. Then yesterday i put the Vix4 image on, but im unable to view the Irish channels?
    Maybe its just my lack of knowledge in this area. If anyone could give me a dig out it would be greatly appreciated.
    You most likely just need to rescan the saorview channels on the vix image but in my experience its as buggy as openatv. Hyperion v4.5 is the most stable image for the aa2. Either try my backup or zardoz made one more recently.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    You most likely just need to rescan the saorview channels on the vix image but in my experience its as buggy as openatv. Hyperion v4.5 is the most stable image for the aa2. Either try my backup or zardoz made one more recently.

Thanks for the reply.
    All of the Saorview channels are listed in the EPG but no picture shows up when selected. I tried to do a manual scan of the Saorview channels but it wont allow me to select channel 30 33 for the three rock transponder. theres no option to do this. I will download that image you recommend and see how thst runs.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Nickydee wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    All of the Saorview channels are listed in the EPG but no picture shows up when selected. I tried to do a manual scan of the Saorview channels but it wont allow me to select channel 30 33 for the three rock transponder. theres no option to do this. I will download that image you recommend and see how thst runs.
    Thanks again
    Do an automatic scan and it'll find them all.

• Advertisement

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Do an automatic scan and it'll find them all.

Hi, yes full scan is done all channels are there but not all of them have picture, none of the Saorview channels are working. They work perfect in Spark so it must be the image i have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement