Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poet, Activist, Parkinson's sufferer and Granny (80), likes her porridge.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Okay. There is.
    But i feel there is too much clout here been given to the ''law''.
    The law as I have said before is a mutable thing. Up to a certain point in history women were not permitted to vote, and women protested (in a prolonged and annoying manner) and this law was repealed. Up to a certain point in history homosexual relations were illegal, and people protested (again in an annoying and uncomfortable manner) and the unjust law was repealed. Up to a certain point in history black people were forbidden to sit near the front of buses in America and Rosa Parkes protested in a way that made the white people on the bus feel repelled....ie by taking a seat amongst them...illegally.

The point is the law is often an ass, it often takes repeated protest to bring it to account, and undoubtedly future generations will look back on some of our present day ''laws'' (including legally maintained places like Guantanamo Bay and rendition and invasion of privacy by governments and so on and so forth) and wonder why we were so stupid as civilised populations to live with such barbarity.

In fairness, there's quite a difference between Rosa Parks and this eejit intruding on an active runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

In fairness, there's quite a difference between Rosa Parks and this eejit intruding on an active runway.

I can't get over the comparison of African American rights, to compare that to terrorists that would quite happily kill as many people as they could. Cant they see a difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Meanwhile military planes refuel at Shannon. Why should we allow that when we claim neutrality?
    So if a bank robber filled up his car at topaz before he robbed a bank, should topaz then be arrested as an accessory before the fact? Or would he be complicit in the robbery itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Okay. There is.
    The law as I have said before is a mutable thing. Up to a certain point in history women were not permitted to vote, and women protested (in a prolonged and annoying manner) and this law was repealed. Up to a certain point in history homosexual relations were illegal, and people protested (again in an annoying and uncomfortable manner) and the unjust law was repealed. Up to a certain point in history black people were forbidden to sit near the front of buses in America and Rosa Parkes protested in a way that made the white people on the bus feel repelled....ie by taking a seat amongst them...illegally.

The point is the law is often an ass, it often takes repeated protest to bring it to account, and undoubtedly future generations will look back on some of our present day ''laws'' (including legally maintained places like Guantanamo Bay and rendition and invasion of privacy by governments and so on and so forth) and wonder why we were so stupid as civilised populations to live with such barbarity.

There is one word that always springs to mind when I read or see anything to do with Rosa Parks and that's 'dignity.' Her protest was so powerful because like all good protests it was executed with dignity and bearing - not cheap melodramatic publicity stunts.......

.........and btw she didn't sit in the 'white' section of the bus, she was sat in the 'coloured' section - she refused to give up her seat when ordered to do so by the driver when the 'white' section of the bus was full - she also violated a law that was subsequently found to be unconstitutional - have Ms D'Arcy's supporters endeavoured to have the law allowing military flights through Shannon struck down in the way the NAACP used the courts to have Montgomery' city ordinances overturned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In fairness an 80 year old 'eejit' as you so quaintly put it shouldn't be able to get near an active runway - says more about airport security than anything else. Anyway, great to see the law cracking down on these types of dangerous lawbreakers. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

In fairness an 80 year old 'eejit' as you so quaintly put it shouldn't be able to get near an active runway - says more about airport security than anything else. Anyway, great to see the law cracking down on these types of dangerous lawbreakers. :rolleyes:

Your right, should have armed patrols shooting on sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Your right, should have armed patrols shooting on sight.

Unlikely, in case you haven't noticed, Ireland doesn't do security and one of these days some nut job is going to take advantage of that big time - and it won't be some old dear who has the courage of her convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Unlikely, in case you haven't noticed, Ireland doesn't do security and one of these days some nut job is going to take advantage of that big time - and it won't be some old dear who has the courage of her convictions.

Yeah but i hear the perimeter around Shannon is quite big, And security tend not to expect randomers deliberately walking onto a runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You would be better off sending pictures of what a massive plane crash looks like on landing or after take off due to foreign debris on the runway.

Unlikely.

What's more likely - she is sucked into the engine from what she thought was a safe distance - ground beef out the exhaust - indication of abnormal temperatures - engine shut down - safe landing with an engine shut down as all aircraft are designed to do and all aircrew are trained to do.

Aosdana can gather up the mince and award it yet more taxpayers' money.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Okay. There is.

You really think that the law that prohibits people endangering hundreds of lives by trespassing on an active runway is the equivalent of racist segregation? That's possibly the stupidist post on boards in ages (which is impressive given the Garth Brooks thread :pac:)

Aldo, it's strange that Ms Darcy's objections to violence don't extend to objecting to a 25 year old man being blown to pieces. A bit hypocytical of her, but no more than is to be expected really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Whether or not I agree with her protest or whatever I really respect her for standing up for something she believes in to this extent, most wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The very best people at standing up for what they believe in are the criminally insane. They don't let facts, evidence or law get in their way. I regard that as pitiable rather than admirable though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Fair dues. She has more balls than most of us here hammering away furiously at our keyboards calling her names.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Satriale wrote: »
    Fair dues. She has more balls than most of us here hammering away furiously at our keyboards calling her names.

Fair dues ? more balls ? she went on to an active runway ?

She is terrorist filth

- she is either off her game and didn't know what she was doing
    or
    - she knew she was endangering lives

either way - she needs to in a safe place

It was the same as running into an operating theatre in a hospital because you were protesting about long waiting times in A & E

ya just don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gctest50 wrote: »
    Fair dues ? more balls ? she went on to an active runway ?

She is terrorist filth

I'd suggest that's enough internet for you for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd suggest that's enough internet for you for tonight.

modding much?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Satriale wrote: »

Fair dues... she has more balls than us.... at least she stood up for.......

No, what she did was just really stupid. If she needs to pull a stunt like that to get her point across then her poetry mustn't be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Silly bint.

Let's just hope they do something to prevent people like her endangering lives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Breaking News: This what happens in Irish prisons: "we eat in our cell, and we also we go to the toilet in our cell, and I think this is unacceptable"

The madness. thankfully, "There are plans for a wonderful new jail". Oh I do hope ever so much that it is a lovely litte jail...Wouldn't it be swell!

EDIT: linky:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/anti-war-activist-says-limerick-prison-conditions-inhumane-1.1870890

• Advertisement

Oink wrote: »
    Breaking News: This what happens in Irish prisons: "we eat in our cell, and we also we go to the toilet in our cell, and I think this is unacceptable"

The madness. thankfully, "There are plans for a wonderful new jail". Oh I do hope ever so much that it is a lovely litte jail...Wouldn't it be swell!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/anti-war-activist-says-limerick-prison-conditions-inhumane-1.1870890

That's some picture. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Oink wrote: »

That's terrible........what a pity there is no easy way for her to get out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

That's some picture. :eek:

Am printing that pic and putting it over the fireplace to keep the young lad away from it.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Am printing that pic and putting it over the fireplace to keep the young lad away from it.

Good idea. Just don't expect him to sleep for a week.

Inhumane? Imagine of she went to a real prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Inhumane? Imagine of she went to a real prison.

She goes there by choice. Don't like prison? Don't break the law. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

bumper234 wrote: »
    She goes there by choice. Don't like prison? Don't break the law. :D

I love the way she thinks that women criminals should somehow be treated differently to male criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

ah poor craytur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

"She said she expected to be placed back inside a prison cell as she would not comply with a previous court order to refrain from unauthorised access to Shannon Airport."

Fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

blackwhite wrote: »
    I love the way she thinks that women criminals should somehow be treated differently to male criminals.

Seems like they already are. Compare the Dochas Centre to Mountjoy.

Advertisement