Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Meath heritage cycle tour 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It was tough with more climbs than I expected - 5 category 4s and a few other non-categorized.

Last 60 was ok but I had very little left in the tank.

Cheers to Trim CC for the train ride back in to the finish for the last 20km,
    Last 17km were done in 32mins.

Some going at the end of a 160 spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Did my first 100km today, 4hr30min so happy enough. Thanks for John from here for joining us for the spin.
    Taught the event was ran excellently, found the few big hills tough but got through them.

Met another boardsie in the pink jersey outside the Trim castle hotel - he was doing the 50km so nice to chat you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did 106km to warm up yesterday and rode out to Trim this morning for the 100km and back so another 47km on top of that. Only back cycling since the start of May so happy with 28kmph average for the lot

Tough course but got over everything handy enough, all my food kicked in around slane so was flying then which was just as well as it was very draggy from there.

Well organised and marshalled

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

100k. A nice day doing this event, organisation very good. Some of the narrow channels for climbs were hair raising as some cyclists stalled or hopped off. Great route. Cycled solo for a lot of it, should have been braver and gatecrashed a group. But hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

100k. A nice day doing this event, organisation very good. Some of the narrow channels for climbs were hair raising as some cyclists stalled or hopped off. Great route. Cycled solo for a lot of it, should have been braver and gatecrashed a group. But hey.

You should definitely crash a group next time, once you give a dig out at the front no one minds if someone joins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

Joined the Ratoath Wheelers train which made the final run home into the wind a piece of cake. Did at least 2 mins at the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

an enjoyable day in the saddle

i did the 100km at around 25 km/h so happy enough with the time ,

about the event , i was impressed with some parts of it organisation wise but was baffled with the route at times , it seem to have a lot of road with bad surface and noticed a lot of punctures along the route
    they should have done all the gravel on the junctions with a roadsweeper as it was dangerous at times ,

food stop was a bit late so i was glad i ate along the way , in saying that the pasta was delicious and welcome

all in all a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

cavan4sam wrote: »
    an enjoyable day in the saddle

i did the 100km at around 25 km/h so happy enough with the time ,

about the event , i was impressed with some parts of it organisation wise but was baffled with the route at times , it seem to have a lot of road with bad surface and noticed a lot of punctures along the route
    they should have done all the gravel on the junctions with a roadsweeper as it was dangerous at times ,

food stop was a bit late so i was glad i ate along the way , in saying that the pasta was delicious and welcome

all in all a good day

I did this a couple of years ago and to be honest, the sh*te roads were kind of part of the fun for me, certainly added to the challenge. Not an event to be done on the 'good' bike I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Did the 160k in Sub 5hrs, ended up off the front with the McCrystal and co on the tandem at the start. The Tandem sure covers ground fast on the flats, so by the time we got to Cormeen I had a lot taken out of me! Let them off up the road for the last 60k and ambled in the rest of it.

We did take a wrong turn at the foot of Tara and ended up back in the bunch for the climb at Tara Hill..

Some good climbs and good speeds.

Food was fantastic and badly needed at the 100k point. Great atmosphere at the end and I got in the queue early for the physio who incidentally recommended me to go stand in the river for ten minutes to ease the aches in the legs. I declined that advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Sub 5 hours good stuff! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Did the 160k in Sub 5hrs, ended up off the front with the McCrystal and co on the tandem at the start. The Tandem sure covers ground fast on the flats, so by the time we got to Cormeen I had a lot taken out of me! Let them off up the road for the last 60k and ambled in the rest of it.

We did take a wrong turn at the foot of Tara and ended up back in the bunch for the climb at Tara Hill..

Some good climbs and good speeds.

Food was fantastic and badly needed at the 100k point. Great atmosphere at the end and I got in the queue early for the physio who incidentally recommended me to go stand in the river for ten minutes to ease the aches in the legs. I declined that advice!

Was heading over to the 100K in the car when people went awry, I think people thought I was being rude when I started beeping and waving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Zenson wrote: »
    Joined the Ratoath Wheelers train which made the final run home into the wind a piece of cake. Did at least 2 mins at the front!

I was one of those wheelers. Alas I was probably sucking your wheel as I was hanging in for dear life. My clubmates need a good talking to. Once I get me breath back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Incidentally is there any pictures anywhere from out on the course of the 160k? Ive seen a few from the 50 and 100k spins but not the 160?

Advertisement