Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Meath heritage cycle tour 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

So.....

Anyone doing the 160 want to form a group to ensure the 77km cut off is reached before the three hour time limit?

I might be interested. I know I can do distance, as I completed the 160 in Waterford last year, which is an awful lot hillier than Meath, but my racer is old and heavy, and so far I haven't had a lot of luck in finding groups to drop in with for long periods so it's hard to know how fast I can go in a group. On my own I often seem to average around 22 km/hr, but with a good number of stretches that are a lot faster. A lot depends on the road surface as well I suppose. I imagine they might be fairly strict in enforcing the time cut unfortunately. It does seem a little harsh that the alternative route skips the food stop, but maybe it passes the 100km route food stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I meant to say reached....

Damn predictive text.

I'd be similar enough - 24-25km/hr average & as you said, Meath is relatively flat, so if you're on for it, let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Anyone got a link to mapmyride or something for the new 160 route ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

cheerspal wrote: »

Yes been there was looking for a map i could actually see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Zorba wrote: »
    Yes been there was looking for a map i could actually see.

The PDFs have the route that you can see.

Might try and rope some people into this, only problem is getting to trim for 8am unless I get some others involved.

Weepsie wrote: »
    The PDFs have the route that you can see.

Might try and rope some people into this, only problem is getting to trim for 8am unless I get some others involved.

Ahhh had a look at that pdf earlier but when i zoomed in i didn't wait for it to focus itself so thought the map was unreadable ! So had another look and gave it a bit of a chance and hey presto i can see !

Would see like a mapmyride link to see the elevations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Completed all 5 An Post cycles last year and Meath was the easiest of them. Averaged over 34Km/h where as Average for the Rebel Tour and Sean Kelly was 30km/h. Meath cycle last year was relatively flat in comparison to the other an post events.
    If your worried about making the cut off time leave 30mins earlier. There usually is a few people that strike off early. If you get into a group your average will be a lot higher than cycling solo so should make the cut off time.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

ADW1 wrote: »
    Completed all 5 An Post cycles last year and Meath was the easiest of them. Averaged over 34Km/h where as Average for the Rebel Tour and Sean Kelly was 30km/h. Meath cycle last year was relatively flat in comparison to the other an post events.
    If your worried about making the cut off time leave 30mins earlier. There usually is a few people that strike off early. If you get into a group your average will be a lot higher than cycling solo so should make the cut off time.

Is leaving early frowned upon at all? Just wondering as I am presuming that the cutoff is there not because of the time itself but because they assume if you are too slow on that section, you will also be too slow on the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ahhh had a look at that pdf earlier but when i zoomed in i didn't wait for it to focus itself so thought the map was unreadable ! So had another look and gave it a bit of a chance and hey presto i can see !

Would see like a mapmyride link to see the elevations.
    Here's the 100km on Map My Ride if thats any good to you....
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/424602050

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Looks like an easy enough route. Are the roads ****e though?

loughgill wrote: »
    Is leaving early frowned upon at all? Just wondering as I am presuming that the cutoff is there not because of the time itself but because they assume if you are too slow on that section, you will also be too slow on the whole thing?

At a lot of events people leave earlier, but marshals may not be in place so be careful at roundabouts junctions etc. time can be made up by reducing time at food stops or skipping 1 of them. An Post Meath last year had a lot of cross roads junctions etc in which a lot of them had no marshals in place. A bit disappointing considering it's one of the bigger cycling events. It also lacks the scenic views of the other 4.

cheerspal wrote: »
    Looks like an easy enough route. Are the roads ****e though?

Most of the roads are grand, the decent off Tara is a bit dodgy but nothing too bad if u take it easy

It also lacks the scenic views of the other 4.

Sure your not gonna get a chance to see much if your avg is over 34k/hr :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

loughgill wrote: »
    Only did rebel tour last year and they allowed people to go early but warned them that marshalls/food stops would onyl be there from when the first "official" cyclists got there

Sure your not gonna get a chance to see much if your avg is over 34k/hr :o

Head down Arse up LOL! spent a lot of time looking down at the back wheel of the bike in front! I think it may have been the lack of sea views that resulted in the higher than average speed!

Head down Arse up LOL! spent a lot of time looking down at the back wheel of the bike in front! I think it may have been the lack of sea views that resulted in the higher than average speed!

Will have to keep an eye out for your group, will get home quicker !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hmmmmm it looks like I'm going to be the only person doing the 100k .... Is there anyone else planning on doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

sullzz wrote: »
    Hmmmmm it looks like I'm going to be the only person doing the 100k .... Is there anyone else planning on doing it

Hoping to do it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Would everyone doing this be on a racing bike as opposed to a mountain bike type bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm doing the 100 and more than likely on my hybrid which is basically a 29" mountain bike with 40c tyres. I'm aiming for 4 hours moving time. Probably do the first 2 hours at close to 30kmh, then collapse/throw up going up Slane and crawl the last 2 hours home at 20 kmh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

sullzz wrote: »

I'll probably do the 100k as I can't be out all day. I'll confirm next week. Saw a green boards jersey roll out when I was parking for Paddy Martin, was that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Doc07 wrote: »
    I'll probably do the 100k as I can't be out all day. I'll confirm next week. Saw a green boards jersey roll out when I was parking for Paddy Martin, was that you?

Unfortunately not , didn't make that .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Signing up for the 100km tonight, my buddy signed up last night.
    Trying to get a 3rd and 4th to go but one lad said dependant on Gareth brooks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

jamesd wrote: »
    Trying to get a 3rd and 4th to go but one lad said dependant on Gareth brooks :)
    He hasn't the power to cancel cycling events as well, does he? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Useless Fecker

Am doing the 100 km,first sportive. What is the format in relation to water stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

jamesd wrote: »

Can't see Gareth making it. He hasn't the training done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I can assure you... you won't be alone!
    Doing the 100k again this year, it's flat (ish) but nice sportive for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Can't see Gareth making it. He hasn't the training done for it.

The man will swim or crawl it to get around the course don't you worry.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Now Ive signed up for the 100Km, max distance ive done is 3 * 60Km sportives this year, my average speed was 23 / 24Km/h for the Tour de Burren, 24km/h for Portumna and 25 km/h for Tour de Corrib.

If anyone is around the same or a little slower and wants to meet us at the start Sunday and go in a group let me know. (Dont think I could do over 24km/h for the 100Km.)

For Portumna midway we joined up with a few more about 1/3 of the way into the cycle and it made things so easy so hoping for the same , even better if someone wanted to take charge calling the switch and speed as on that cycle one guy kept us at the 23Km as it suit 2 of the slower cyclists in the group.

Advertisement