Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Meath heritage cycle tour 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Can you register with the email on your mobile or do you need print outs and ids etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Can you register with the email on your mobile or do you need print outs and ids etc.?

I think last year I just showed up and they crossed my name off the list and gave me wristband etc

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'm looking for 2 entries if anybody cant make it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Two of us on the same order, looking to sign up for this today. Can you sign in for someone else who isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Signed in earlier today, looks very well organised - ample parking, signposts, road sprayed with directions etc

Roll on tomorrow morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Registered today. Does look well organised alright. Looking forward to it now if still a bit nervous. Is there an overall elevation gain number for the 100km knocking around. Looks like lots of hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Map my Ride says it's 626 m gained,not too sure how accurate it is but I find it better than Strava for elevation . Not too bad, 3 hills in the first 60km then just rolling landscape after that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Nothing too bad in it.

Registered now, there's a good vibe around the place. Should be good fun tomorrow.
    I was intending on doing the 100k on the trusty Hybrid but I'm beginning to think about bringing the new road bike now, just not sure if doing 100km on a bike I'm not used to will end with me in pain.
    :confused::confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Registered now, there's a good vibe around the place. Should be good fun tomorrow.
    I was intending on doing the 100k on the trusty Hybrid but I'm beginning to think about bringing the new road bike now, just not sure if doing 100km on a bike I'm not used to will end with me in pain.
    :confused::confused::o

If you have a good pair of padded shorts go with the new bike. Have you time to take it out now for a quick 10k (even 5k) spin to get used to it. Worth a quick spin to see if your comfortable and then you'll be grand tomorrow. Can't wait myself, getting in the carbs now.

• Advertisement

Doc07 wrote: »
    If you have a good pair of padded shorts go with the new bike. Have you time to take it out now for a quick 10k (even 5k) spin to get used to it. Worth a quick spin to see if your comfortable and then you'll be grand tomorrow. Can't wait myself, getting in the carbs now.
    Ya, had a 10k last night, set 2 PRs :) . The bike handles like a dream and is nowhere near as harsh as I thought it would be, I guess I'm just a bit cautious about spending 4 hours in a more "racy" position. Plenty of old war injuries just awaiting their chance to say hello.
    Then again, I could try and get around in 3 hours....:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

is there anyone who has to pull out and has a registration going. A friend didn't realise it was limited and closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

There's 3 of us heading up in the morning for the 100km , was hoping to arrange with a few from here to group up if doing the same speed. Since this dosent look like happening do you think others would mind us dropping into their groups provided we take the front at times for them and don't just use them for a wind breaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Where abouts is the parking for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

What's the total doing the 100/160km?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Where abouts is the parking for tomorrow?

Signed in today. Parking very well signposted. There is a big feld for parking. When you park up you don't need to go back out on the road. There is a track you can follow (wheeling bike) that brings you out at Trimcastle Hotel. Seems very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zenson

jamesd wrote: »
    There's 3 of us heading up in the morning for the 100km , was hoping to arrange with a few from here to group up if doing the same speed. Since this dosent look like happening do you think others would mind us dropping into their groups provided we take the front at times for them and don't just use them for a wind breaker?

People will join various groups. Don't think anyone minds once you do a bit of work at some stage.

cheerspal wrote: »
    What's the total doing the 100/160km?
    Somewhere around 3000 the last few years. I don't think the numbers are limited, just that there's a deadline for registration

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

An Post 160km. All done in 5 hours 7 mins. Friend took a piss at exactly the wrong time with 40km to go and missed a road train of about 30 cyclists.

The two of us manage to catch up after a painful 10k and joined them with 30km left to the finish.

https://www.strava.com/activities/171599261

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

Did the 100Km first time doing such an event. Just started cycling in April really enjoyed it. Thought it was very well organised, would most events be of similar standard.

• Advertisement

Did the 100 km in about 3hrs 5Om with 2 others. Pelted home on my own the last 10 km as we said each to their own the last few if we wanted and it took a lot out of me. I'll stick with the group in future and aim for the 160 I think.

Also nearly had a spectacular accident as I broke late at the last roundabout and had a wheel slip and came off the bike which stayed upright against my friends and I landed on my feet.

Very well organised and jersey and food for less than 40 is well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

If u like potholes n hedges put this one on ur diary... ...:(

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    If u like potholes n hedges put this one on ur diary... ...:(

Didn't think it was that bad, though we were warning each other of hazaerds. Didn't see a lot of that til we caught up to some dunboyne pedal pushers and a few others who were doing the same.

Saw some girl get her wheel pretty much wrecked after 5k, wonder if she ,made it

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Weepsie wrote: »
    Didn't think it was that bad, though we were warning each other of hazaerds. Didn't see a lot of that til we caught up to some dunboyne pedal pushers and a few others who were doing the same.

Saw some girl get her wheel pretty much wrecked after 5k, wonder if she ,made it

There was one section which I would have described as an "ocean of gravel"... I don't know how I stayed upright. Overall the roads were ok, some decent fast stretches.

I think the roads for the climbs were a little too bunched, might have done with holding them back to about halfway in the ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

Weepsie wrote: »

different experience...

Nedkelly24 wrote: »
    different experience...

im probably basing it on my last long cycle from Cork to midlands via limerick which was very bumpy, so as you said different experience for all.

With above on the gravel. Friend had an accident and I nearly did myself. Some of the corners were a bit sketchy because of then.

The gaeltacht has a lovely stretch of road

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

did the 100k and very happy with the route. a few bumpy patches but on a whole very good. it was great to see all the different cycling jerseys from previous events, I.m sure a substantial amount of money was made for good causes on the the back of those cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Same as last year, way too many potholes 😞
    Still can't get over the fact food stop was 83 km in (on 100 km route) which makes no sense!!!
    Last year's route was much better.
    Plus points for marshaling, signs and food quality at the stop.
    Jersey looks nice and quality seems good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

TonyStark wrote: »

I think the roads for the climbs were a little too bunched, might have done with holding them back to about halfway in the ride.

Ay, letting everyone off in groups at the first Hill like last year would have been better.

And the food stop 17km from the end.... Can't understand that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Did the 160K today.

I enjoyed it, but I thought the 1st 100K was very tough. I wasn't expecting so many climbs. Some of the roads were quite narrow and it was unfortunate, that the road around Moynalty was so rough. Most of the potholes were marked. The route was very well signposted and the distance markers were great.
    The food was great, pasta is a great idea and the sandwiches were lovely, and fresh.
    Marshalling was spot on, for the most part.
    Finish area, as usual, was fantastic, great buzz about the place.
    I did it with with 10 others, we averaged 30.5 kph.
    All in all, a great day.
    Well done to the organisers.
    In my opinion, one of the better sportives.

Advertisement