Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Meath heritage cycle tour 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sorry to hijack this thread BUT

I've signed up to do the 160km (did the 100km last year) but the crew I was gonna do it with have pulled out.

Any boardsies fancy taking a relative noob with them around for this spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Did this two years ago. Great event, but the roads were really in bad shape in some areas, so might be worth bringing the winter bike for this one. Some nasty little hills as well, short and very steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i'm intending to do this
    i had a look at last years route on strava and it doesnt look like there is a lot of climbing in it
    i think it said for last years cycle there was only 200m odd of an elevation gain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've signed up for the 100, it'll be my first sportive. Was supposed to be doing it with mates but they've abandoned ship. Details of the 100 km here.
    http://www.meathsports.ie/cycle-tour/routes/100km-royal-tour.html
    I did a bit of recon a few weeks ago. 3 hills, tara and skryne one after another and then slane about 25 k later. None of them are massive. Plenty of rolling road after slane might sap the energy a bit. Looking forward to it though.

I'm wondering about one thing, I'm getting a new bike next week switching from hybrid to road. Would I be as well sticking with the trusty hybrid which I've done 100km on before, rather than risk being buckled with my back from doing a 100k on a bike I'm not used to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Signed up on my own for the 100km. First sportive. Kinda nervous but also excited. I'll drive the route next week to get a feel for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

Signed up for 100km myself. It will be my first time not just been cycling by myself, only started cycling this year. Looking forward to it, little nervy though.

What kind of distance would one want to be comfortable with to completw the 100 km? Can do 80km solo with a bit left in the legs. That too little?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

What kind of distance would one want to be comfortable with to completw the 100 km? Can do 80km solo with a bit left in the legs. That too little?[/Q

Not a bother doing the 100km if you can manage 80km solo with a bit to spare. The fun and excitement of the day would carry you through. In fact, if you could do 100+ solo I'd say you could manage 160 on the day, though prob would be best do the 100km as planned and enjoy it.

It's a fairly flat sportive. No need to drive it in advance either - better to enjoy on the day !

Nah, you'll be fine with that.
    My longest spin for the 100km last year was 60km & it was fine.
    It's a flat spin for the most part do after the hill of Tara you could be averaging 28-30km/hr.

I'm up to 115km now and looking forward to the 160 now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

What kind of distance would one want to be comfortable with to completw the 100 km? Can do 80km solo with a bit left in the legs. That too little?

I did my first 100 on my own about 6 weeks back, most I'd done before that was 75. I felt worse after the 75. You'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Myself and 2 buddies are thinking of doing the 100km, did three 60kms sportives this year so hoping to be ok for the 100km as we did the tour de burren which was very hilly.
    Would be interested in meeting up with a few to make a group of 6 or 8 for the spin if simular speed as us.

jamesd wrote: »
    Myself and 2 buddies are thinking of doing the 100km, did three 60kms sportives this year so hoping to be ok for the 100km as we did the tour de burren which was very hilly.
    Would be interested in meeting up with a few to make a group of 6 or 8 for the spin if simular speed as us.

What kind of speed are you thinking?

What kind of speed are you thinking?

Nothing too fast to be honest but can share a link to my strava tomorrow from my laptop I think. Did an average of 25km speed for the Galway croi cycle and an average of 22.4km speed for burren cycle as was hilly. Since this is a bit longer would be thinking a bit slower.

I'm thinking around 25 as well. Think my normal solo speed is a it faster but I'd be happy to just get around it.

I'll be chatting my 2 friends over the weekend and will post up here when we book and can then arrange if we can get a few of us in a group as we went in a group of 8 for a 60km in Portumna Galway and the rotation made it very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I'll probably be doing this myself but will be only doing the 100k as I have to be home early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Doing the 160km. Just wondering if the 77km by 11am or they turn you back to the 100km is rigidly enforced ?
    I doubt it but just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i'm intending to do this
    i had a look at last years route on strava and it doesnt look like there is a lot of climbing in it
    i think it said for last years cycle there was only 200m odd of an elevation gain

Looks like the route this year is different from 2012 when I did it, and also from 2013. Last two years had around 1,100 metres of climbing, which I think is mainly short and very steep hills. This, coupled with the fairly bumpy roads makes it quite a hard day in the saddle, but really a great event and well worth doing-I've only done this and the Sean Kelly of the five An post events, but they seem to be very well organised, and feedback on the other three seems also to be very positive.

Doing the 160km. Just wondering if the 77km by 11am or they turn you back to the 100km is rigidly enforced ?
    I doubt it but just wondering

I'm not sure, that's why I'm keen to try and form a bit of a group to share the work
    I

Koobcam wrote: »
    Looks like the route this year is different from 2012 when I did it, and also from 2013. Last two years had around 1,100 metres of climbing, which I think is mainly short and very steep hills. This, coupled with the fairly bumpy roads makes it quite a hard day in the saddle, but really a great event and well worth doing-I've only done this and the Sean Kelly of the five An post events, but they seem to be very well organised, and feedback on the other three seems also to be very positive.

Preparing my arse for the worst so. No jokes lads come on. We're all grown ups here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

jamesd wrote: »

I'm hoping to this if work/babysitting allows. Was planning on the 160km but like the idea of 100 in a group at decent pace. I'm fairly novice but did Tour de Burren in 4hours(96k). Delighted to join up with your gang if I can make it on the day.

Regards

Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a look at the 160k version of this. It mentions a cutoff at the 7km mark after 3hours. Does this sound a little fast? You need to be averaging 26km/h over 3 hours to make that. Am I misreading that?

If you miss the cutoff, you're sent on a route that cuts out the food stop too.

"Start Time:
    Sunday 27th July at 8am from Castle Street,Trim

Cut-off applies at 77km on the 160km route. Cyclists not through this point before 11am will be directed to Moynalty village and back on to the 160km route. This measure is taken in the interest of health & safety and out of respect to the volunteers out on the course."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

If you have signed up to the 160k then sensibly you should be well able to travel the first 77k in well under the 3hour mark. If you cant then I may suggest that the 160k isn't for you.

Its actually quite a sensible cutoff made by the organisers I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I would have thought, that there were lots of cyclists, capable of 160K, who would be very happy with an average of 26kph. In fact, I would suggest, that if that limit is adhered to, a lot of riders will be diverted off the long route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If you have signed up to the 160k then sensibly you should be well able to travel the first 77k in well under the 3hour mark. If you cant then I may suggest that the 160k isn't for you.

Well I could travel 77k in 3hrs, but probably wouldn't in a sportif. As Eamonator said, I'm guessing a lot of people wouldn't read the small print and would be shy of 77km after 3hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Well I could travel 77k in 3hrs, but probably wouldn't in a sportif. As Eamonator said, I'm guessing a lot of people wouldn't read the small print and would be shy of 77km after 3hrs.

Why not in a sportif , it'd me much easier to do it than on your own , get in with a decent group and you'll be flying

So.....

Anyone doing the 160 want to form a group to ensure the 77km cut off is reached before the three hour time limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I emailed the organisers I have the 3 routes on gpx if anyone needs them i can email them to you PM me,
    Now to see if I successfully transferred it to my Garmin.........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Signed up for this but my sister decided to have her 40th the night before.
    Doubt ill make it now but if i can swing things at all i will.
    I done my first 100k sportive last month at the tour de bog 105k and i was fine completed inside the time i gave myself of 4.5 hours and got home in 3hrs 58mins,only minor issue was a bit of a sore neck for a few hours afterwards.
    Previous to that was doing 60k-ish spins on my own so people worried should be fine.
    Just back from a solo 75k spin today,cant get enough of cycling now.
    Im making hay while sun shines as ill have to quit for the winter like last winter because of asthma, i will be like a bear with a sore head for them few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

As someone who recently completed the Wicklow 200 at an average speed of 20km/h, that statement just doesn't stand up. I know I can cycle the distance, but as somebody who does almost all of their cycling on steep hills, I don't know of I can match the required pace on the flat. I'd be mighty peed off to be diverted onto a 100k route after signing up to the 160. That cut off point is a real disincentive to sign up to this event. There are plenty of cyclists capable of the distance but who may not make that pace.

Advertisement