Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From cardio to weights....a journey.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Yay, I can breathe again without feeling like I have hot pokers stabbing me in the chest. The being 25 weeks pregnant thing is starting to interfere with things though. Can't bend over to tie my shoe laces any more, it's all downhill from here :)

Monday 24th Feb

Resumed my bench program today with my pal. I thought because we missed last week that we would have to repeat week 2, but surprised myself and was able to continue with week 3.

Bench 35kg x 5 sets 5

Close Grip Bench 25kg x 8, 8, 8, 8 & 14

Incline Bench 25kg x 5 sets 8

Dumbbell Single Arm Row 15kg x 4 sets 12

Skull Crushers 10kg x 3 sets 10, and last set 15kg x 10

Left it at that, didn't want to push my luck.

Thursday 26th Feb

Husband had to work late, so had literally 1 hour in the gym before it closed.

Trapbar Deadlifts
    30kg x 10
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 4
    80kg x 5 sets 3
    Superset with
    5 sets of 10 DB Floor Press (10kg DB)

Lat Pulldown Machine 4 sets 12 x 35kg

Cable Pulley Row 4 sets 8 x 35kg

Was just delighted to get something done.

Sunday 1st March 26 weeks pregnant today.

Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 6
    50kg x 5 sets 5.

Sad state of affairs when these felt awkward. Not particularly heavy, just weird and awkward. Should have done Good Mornings or some other leg stuff, but was dismayed by the "awkwardness" ha, ha. So went downstairs for some conditioning...my happy place.

Prowler Pushes x 6 rounds
    60kg on prowler x 20 metres
    Superset with 30m Farmers Walks w/ 25kg Sandbags

Finished with 3 prowler pushes @ 90kg. Only did these cause the Frames came on my Playlist and wanted to hear the song out.

One of the kids was off school Mon-Wed as heating was broke in her school. Finding it hard to muster up the energy in the evenings to go gym, so missed 3 days.

Thursday 5th March

TrapBar Deadlifts
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    80kg x 4
    90kg x 3 sets 3

Bench Program Week 4
    Bench
    Bar x 8
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 6
    32.5kg x 3
    33.5kg x 3
    36kgs x 5 sets 4 (thanks Alf for my 0.5kg plate recommendation)

Close Grip Bench 27.5kg x 5 sets 8 (went up from 25 on these)

Dumbbell Single Arm Row 15kg 4 sets 12

*Didn't get to do incline bench or skull crushers as heartburn hit me with a sledgehammer and I had no Rennies with me. Took about an hour and a half all in.

Tuesday 10th March

Trained with a couple of girls this evening, we did a session with my old PT. It was in a different, non-commercial gym. I felt so hardcore, ha ha.

Deadlifts from the Blocks
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    105kg x 3

Bench
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

Last 4 sets were superset with DB Single Arm Row 17.5kg x 8 each side
    Delighted to bench 40 x 5 (twice) but am wondering now is it because I'm a lot heavier bodyweight because of the pregnancy??? These perceived gains could be a load of nonsense. After I have the baby, 30kg will probably feel heavy again....

Was a great session, considering I nearly left 10 minutes into it as had to vomit twice. But was grand then after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

be pregnant, acquire gainz

bluewolf wrote: »
    be pregnant, acquire gainz

False gainz they may be, but I'll take anything at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Think you need to give yourself more credit, tee bee haych.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I think this is one of the most hardcore logs on the forum - training through pleurisy, pregnancy and vomit. Kew-dos like.

Just logging the fact that for 13 days I've done sweet f.a on the exercise front.
    Brought the kids to Disney for 5 days, came home to a letter from Holles St saying I have severe anaemia. On high dose of iron that is upping the ante with my existing all day nausea/vomiting thing that just refuses to go anywhere. Was 30 weeks yesterday.....roll on the last 10 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Good luck with it ninamc! :)

ninamc wrote: »
    Just logging the fact that for 13 days I've done sweet f.a on the exercise front.
    Brought the kids to Disney for 5 days, came home to a letter from Holles St saying I have severe anaemia. On high dose of iron that is upping the ante with my existing all day nausea/vomiting thing that just refuses to go anywhere. Was 30 weeks yesterday.....roll on the last 10 :)

At this stage even walking is high intensity exercise :)

At this stage even walking is high intensity exercise :)

I know, but I miss the mental aspect of training nearly as much as the physical. The gym was a place I could completely switch off if needed be, or I found I could always resolve things flying around in my head. Hard to explain really. I'm hoping the iron issue settles in the next few days and I can go back for the next 4-6 weeks. Then I'll take it easy.....

I know, but I miss the mental aspect of training nearly as much as the physical. The gym was a place I could completely switch off if needed be, or I found I could always resolve things flying around in my head. Hard to explain really. I'm hoping the iron issue settles in the next few days and I can go back for the next 4-6 weeks. Then I'll take it easy.....

Ara I know only too well of the mental benefits of being there. It's why I use go in just to do my stretching and rolling :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

On high dose of iron that is upping the ante with my existing all day nausea/vomiting

Spatone is supposed to be a lot easier on the stomach than other iron supplements, its just mineral water with lots of iron.

Best of luck!

conzy wrote: »
    Spatone is supposed to be a lot easier on the stomach than other iron supplements, its just mineral water with lots of iron.

Best of luck!

Ta Conzy, according to the midwife in Holles St, Spatone is one step above a placebo for iron. She'd recommend it for maintaining existing iron levels but not for replenishing. Came as a bit of a shocker to me as I'd often take it throughout the year as my iron levels would veer on the low side most of the time. So it's the Galfor I've to take, tastes and looks like rusty puddle water.

Wednesday 25th First day back in over 2 weeks. Had nothing specific in mind, just wanted to ease back into something.

Bench
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 6
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 4 sets 5

Trapbar Deads
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 6
    80kg x 4
    100kg x 4 sets 3
    100kg x 8, was going to go to failure. Reckon I could have done 12, but was thinking ahead to the DOMs tomorrow.
    Video shows last set.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=mhp21GlpzfM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Forgot how much fun the Trapbar looks... that's it, I'm going to have a play around with the trapbar in my gym o'er the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Hope I'm not butting in, but for the low iron, drink Raisin Tea if you can stomach it. Raisins soaked in hot water, leave to cool to drinking temp, strain out the raisins if you want (throw into porridge or eat if you desire).
    Got my iron levels up good enough when I was pg, hated Galfor.
    Following this thread in awe. I'm new to lifting and wish I'd discovered it sooner (and been brave enough to use that part of the gym!).
    Best of luck with the next ten weeks.

Gave birth to this beauty 4 weeks ago today, 9th June. All 9lbs of him.
    Trained up to 30 weeks, then an illness happened in the immediate family that took all my spare time and energy. Was still vomiting up 8-10 times a day up to the day I gave birth. But little man made it up for it all by coming into this world in a speedy 2 hour delivery with no complications. Even at 41 my recovery was quicker and much better than previous pregnancies, I would definitely put it down to the weight training that I had done before hand. Going to start a new log now, and hopefully might help anybody else coming back training after pregnancy.

Congratulations. He looks like he lifts an' all :D

Yizzer an inspiration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Congratulations! He's gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Wow he's gorgeous. Making me broody! Huge Congratulations and Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

He's beautiful! Congratulations

Advertisement