Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From cardio to weights....a journey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Thursday 14th August.

Did a trampoline aerobics class because Camogie training was cancelled. First time, certainly won't be my last. Was great craic altogether. In my head I was sure I was like a graceful gazelle leaping with joy, in reality I imagine I was more like a baby hippo emerging from a swamp.

Friday 15th August
    Conditioning Workout.

4 sets
    Rowing Machine 500m
    Superset with pull-up contraption x 8

Abs Machine
    40, 30, 30
    Superset with renegade rows 12.5kg x 6 each side.

Prowler
    60kg x 20m x 1
    90kg x 20m x 2
    120kg x 20m x 2
    150kg x 20m x 4
    180kg x 20m x 1 (PR - had never pushed 180 on the low bars before)
    210kg x 10m x 2 high bars only

Tuesday 19th August

Camogie Match
    Managed to play a full match and cover a lot of ground without the knee bucking. Always a positive. Got a few knocks so was feeling battered and sore this morning.

Wednesday 20th August

Speed Work on Box Squats and Bench
    Haven't squatted in so long, so kept it nice and light and tried to keep good form. Was told I tend to be very quad dominant so working on using hamstrings and hips. Felt very comfortable on the light weights, hopefully can keep it up when I get back to squatting a bit heavier.

Bar x 3 x 4 sets
    25kg x 3 x 4 sets
    30kg x 3 x 4 sets
    35kg x 3 x 4 sets
    40kg x 3 x 4 sets

Bench
    Bar x 3 x 6 sets

Close Grip Bar
    Bar x 10 x 3 sets superset with
    Renegade Row 20kg x 10 each arm.

Should be testing my deadlift and bench on Monday. The thoughts :(

Monday 25th Aug

Tested bench and deadlift today. Bench went from 37.5 to 40, have to admit to being fierce disappointed. Because I haven't been squatting in weeks, and was working hard on my upper body strength I really had my heart set on 42.5. But will just have to push harder next time, build a bridge and get over it and all that crap :) Did I mention I HATE the bench?

Deadlift went from 105 to 112.5. 110 went up nice, 112.5 had a fairly manky wobble but I levelled it out in the end. Doesn't look pretty but it counts as a PB apparently. Trying to sort my nutrition out slowly but surely the last couple of weeks, hopefully I'll get to the stage where I'm getting more strength from proper foods. That's the plan in anyway.

Trainer shared videos of the DL on my Facebook but can't figure out a way to copy them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

ninamc wrote: »
    Monday 25th Aug

Tested bench and deadlift today. Bench went from 37.5 to 40, have to admit to being fierce disappointed. Because I haven't been squatting in weeks, and was working hard on my upper body strength I really had my heart set on 42.5. But will just have to push harder next time, build a bridge and get over it and all that crap :) Did I mention I HATE the bench?

Deadlift went from 105 to 112.5. 110 went up nice, 112.5 had a fairly manky wobble but I levelled it out in the end. Doesn't look pretty but it counts as a PB apparently. Trying to sort my nutrition out slowly but surely the last couple of weeks, hopefully I'll get to the stage where I'm getting more strength from proper foods. That's the plan in anyway.

Trainer shared videos of the DL on my Facebook but can't figure out a way to copy them here.

Fantastic Work! Well done!! 2.5kg on the bench is A LOT!!

If your trainer sends the videos to your phone, you'll be able to pop em on youtube and share here :) There's even a boards Lifter Leaderboard on the Strength Sports Forum..if you submit the vid there you'll get your name up on the leaderboard!!

Congrats again on the PBz

Tuesday 26th Aug

6.00 pm Trampoline Aerobics

7.15 Camogie Training for 1.30 hours. Lots of cardio/sprints.

2 good sessions. Nice to get out of the gym and mix things up a little. Kids back in school properly next week, so will have extra time to train. Need to fit in a couple of extra conditioning sessions a week.

• Advertisement

Having a shockingly bad hour trying to upload videos of Deadlift shenanigans to YouTube, will try again tomorrow before I lamp this phone off the wardrobe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think you can save them in dropbox and put a direct link to that here
    That's what I'd do anyway, I've uploaded to youtube once before and it took a long time :pac:

Having a shockingly bad hour trying to upload videos of Deadlift shenanigans to YouTube, will try again tomorrow before I lamp this phone off the wardrobe.

It should pop up from your phone to youtube in a minute or so. If not..when you go to your vid and you hit send to youtube..click the settings and make sure that it says 'use any network'...if that setting aint right you could be waiting months:P:P Or you could just use dropbox! Is it a HTC phone by anychance?

No, it's an IPhone 5. But I just created the YouTube account for these videos so not sure if Im doing it right. Will have another look around now.
    gymfreak wrote: »
    It should pop up from your phone to youtube in a minute or so. If not..when you go to your vid and you hit send to youtube..click the settings and make sure that it says 'use any network'...if that setting aint right you could be waiting months:P:P Or you could just use dropbox! Is it a HTC phone by anychance?

Let's see if this works. 112.5 Deadlift . I'm kinda half embarrassed about the amount of work that went into it, but half proud that I didn't give up on it. Kinda thinking I'm too old to start this **** :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xxeG8zKBj4E

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Let's see if this works. 112.5 Deadlift . I'm kinda half embarrassed about the amount of work that went into it, but half proud that I didn't give up on it. Kinda thinking I'm too old to start this **** :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xxeG8zKBj4E

Great work!

Edit: Don't be half embarrassed, do be fully proud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Great work!

Edit: Don't be half embarrassed, do be fully proud.

^ Sums it up :)
    awesome stuff :cool:

Fantastic!!

We'll definitely have to do a session together soon!!:)

Wednesday 27th Aug.

Upper Body Incline Bench Superset x 3
    Shoulder Press 7.5kg x 10
    Some kind of row where I was lying stomach down on the bench and using both arms at the same time? 12.5kg x 10

Speed Box Squats - Apparently I took the SPEED out of them, so they were just box squats :)

Bar x 10
    27.5 x 8
    37.5 x 8 sets of 3

Bench Press - but using the safety bar on the squat rack instead of coming all the way down to chest level? (My technical ignorance astounds even me)

Bar x 6
    27.5 x 6
    37.5 x 4 sets of 5. Struggled on the last rep of each, so think he's going to go down to 32.5 next week and work up again. Enjoyed these.

Bit of core work to finish - Superset x 3
    Renegade Rows 12.5kg x 6 e/s
    10 Modified Push-ups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Nina you badass!! Great work.

Shurrup you :) Have to say, I'm having probably the best season playing camogie this year too and I'm putting it down to the strength training. One of our midfielders was out for 3 weeks and I got thrown in. Last year I would have refused, but just got stuck in and was able to hold my own. Not bad considering I could have given birth to 90% of my opponents. Might have to knock it on the head after this season though if the knee gets any worse :(
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Nina you badass!! Great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Shurrup you :) Have to say, I'm having probably the best season playing camogie this year too and I'm putting it down to the strength training. One of our midfielders was out for 3 weeks and I got thrown in. Last year I would have refused, but just got stuck in and was able to hold my own. Not bad considering I could have given birth to 90% of my opponents. Might have to knock it on the head after this season though if the knee gets any worse :(

Not a'tall - just stand in full-forward and throw it about like it's goin outta fashion. Years left!

That might work if I had any kind of pull on the ground, which eh....I don't :)
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Not a'tall - just stand in full-forward and throw it about like it's goin outta fashion. Years left!

Thursday 28th August
    Camogie Training - skills training so didn't break a sweat.

Friday 29th August
    Went gym specifically to do some prowler/farmer walks conditioning but that area was sealed off for renovation. So had to make up a program on the fly. Bummer.

Mobility - foam rolling, lacrosse ball and band pull aparts.

Speed Box Squat - concentrating on form
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 6
    40kg x 4 sets 3
    *think the only way I'll get speed on these is to take actual speed.

3 Sets
    Hamstring machine x 10 each leg
    Renegade rows x 6 e/s 12.5 kg

3 Sets
    Hanging Leg raises x 10
    Floor press 12.5kg db's x 10

Green band assisted pull-ups x 10 8 6 8
    Bicycle crunches x 50 x 3

3 sets
    Single leg glute bridge x 10 e/s
    10 kg weighted plank x 30 secs

More rolling etc.

Had new songs on my playlist so was happy to spend the guts of 2 hours there.

• Advertisement

Monday 1st September .

Box Squats (wide stance)
    17.5 Bar x 10
    25 x 5
    30 x 5
    35 x 4 sets 5

Good Mornings
    Bar x 10
    30 x 4 sets 8

Hip Thrusters 37.5. X 4 sets 10
    Plank 20kg x 3 x 60 secs

Prowlers - 20 metres (10 up/10 back)
    Prowler 60kg + 40kg frame
    Prowler 90kg + 40kg frame
    Prowler 120kg + 40kg frame
    Prowler 150kg + 40kg frame
    Prowler 150kg + 40kg frame
    Prowler 90kg + 40kg frame
    Prowler 60kg + 40kg frame

Farmers Walk x 3
    15 metres with 15kg bags
    30 metres sprint
    15 metres with 15kg bags

Farmers Walk x 3
    15 metres with 20kg bags
    30 metres sprint
    15 metres with 20kg bags

Felt great to be able to do the prowler and sprints again. Knee was fine throughout, hopefully over the worst now.

Lots of foam rolling and lacrosse balling. Think I need to get the bumpier foam roller as not feeling the good pain I used to feel. Want to take the training and nutrition more seriously and hopefully have a great 4 months up to the New Year. Want to get down and maintain at about 64kgs, and concentrate on form on the big lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Feeling less pain when you foam roll is a good sign I think, means it's working and there's less knots to work out.

Really? It's like I'm not feeling a thing on my hamstrings or quads anymore, and I'm doing a lot of hamstring dominant exercises. Still feeling it on my upper back a good bit. I remember the first couple of weeks It was horrendous, in an agony/ecstacy way. Now it's like rolling on marshmallows.
    dylbert wrote: »
    Feeling less pain when you foam roll is a good sign I think, means it's working and there's less knots to work out.

It's supposed to decrease in pain over time if you do it regularly all right

ninamc wrote:
    Really? It's like I'm not feeling a thing on my hamstrings or quads anymore, and I'm doing a lot of hamstring dominant exercises. Still feeling it on my upper back a good bit. I remember the first couple of weeks It was horrendous, in an agony/ecstacy way. Now it's like rolling on marshmallows.

I went too long without stretching or rolling and when I went to the physio, the work on the trigger points in my hips and glutes felt like some form of medieval torture.

It was horrendous in an agony/agony way.

So I made sure to so some rolling every day after and the last day I went back I had very few trigger points. Thank Christ.

Tuesday 2nd Sept

A.M Yoga (Jeebus, felt all different kinda pains. First time, but really enjoyed it. Will only be able to do one session a week so hopefully won't be wasting my time)

P.M Camogie Match

Wednesday 3rd Sept
    A.M Lots of rolling and mobility work.

Bench Press using safety bar off squat rack?
    Bar x 10
    25 x 8
    35 x 3 sets 5
    40 x 1 set 5

Superset x 4 Sets
    Incline Bench 25kg x 10
    Double Arm Row 12.5kg DBS x 10

Superset x 4 Sets
    High Incline Bench Dumbbell Shoulder Press 7.5kg DB's x 12
    Face-pulls x 12

P.M
    Miha Bodytec
    20 min workout while hooked up to some torture device. Workout consisted of
    5 rounds of
    10 Burpees
    10 Floor Press w/20kg plate
    10 Squat Jumps
    10 Plate Swings w/10kg plate
    10 Crunches
    10 Upright Rows w/20kg plate
    Really enjoyed this and would do it again.

Despite being a committed sceptic, I gave yoga a go a while back and really enjoyed it. The instructor, or whatever they're called, was good and my hips, legs and lower back felt 1.23 million percent better after it.

Recommended.

Yoga with a good instructor is brilliant, once I found a good one I preferred it to pilates.

I just wasn't expecting it to hurt so much, ha ha. The relaxation at the end of it made it all worthwhile.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yoga with a good instructor is brilliant, once I found a good one I preferred it to pilates.

• Advertisement

Friday 5th Sept
    10 mins mobility

Had a workout partner so took 2 hours to do 1 hours work between chatting and laughing. Better off on my own :)

Supersets x 3 Sets
    Hamstring Curls x 10
    Push-ups x 15

Wide Stance Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    25 x 5
    30 x 5
    40 x 3 sets 8

Bench Press using safety bar off squat rack
    Bar x 10
    25 x 10
    30 x 5
    35 x 5
    40 x 3 sets 3
    42.5 x 3
    45 x 1

* Would anybody know the science of why I can only normal bench 40 at a push but can do 45 from the safety bar? I know it's cause I'm not pushing from chest level, but it's a big enough difference. Obviously there's some muscle group that I need to work extra on, Lats? Chest? Arms? Does that make sense?

Downstairs for some conditioning.
    Prowler, all x 20 metres
    60kg
    90kg
    120kg
    120kg
    150kg
    150kg
    180kg

First 4 runs were superset with renegade rows 10kg db's x 6 e/s. Then I was too knackered to superset with anything.
    Finished off with band assisted pull-ups
    10, 8, 6.
    Good session, looking forward to resting at the weekend.

Advertisement