Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From cardio to weights....a journey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Thanks Alf, plates ordered. Gonna smash 43.5 when they arrive :) Slowly but surely trying to improve this bench press is gonna kill me.

Thursday 18th

High Box Squat
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    35kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 3 sets 5
    50kg x 5

High Bar Squat
    30kg x 3 sets 8.

*pregnancy is making me lazy. Would much rather heavier weights and lower reps. Higher reps take it outta me big time.

2 Board Close Grip Bench Press
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 6 sets 3

Nice, handy session. In and out in 45 mins.
    Gonna read some more and set out some kinda program for myself for the New Year upto maybe the end of March. I've already put on 10kg, and already feeling every bit of it. My last baby was 10lb so expecting something similar with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ninamc wrote: »
    My last baby was 10lb so expecting something similar with this one.

On the plus side, that's about 4.5kg for curling.

Can't believe I didn't do a tap for 11 full days :( But had a fabulous Christmas with the kids, so just gonna shake the guilt off and get back on the wagon.

Monday 29th Dec

High Box Squat
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    35kg x 8
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 2 sets 5
    52.5kg x 5
    55kg x 5

*Squats felt great, form looked good. Think I'll keep on pushing ahead with the box squats and going up in weight.

High Bar Squat
    40kg x 3 sets 8.

Close Grip Bench Press
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 4 sets 5

Nice handy session to ease back into it. Think I'll have to move back to trapbar deadlifts in the next couple weeks. Might start incorporating some cardio back in. Most blogs I'm reading are from Crossfit pregnant ladies, and they're still doing all their WODs upto 3rd trimester, including runs, rowing etc. Looking forward to the next 3 months.

Wednesday 31st Dec

Trap Bar Deadlifts
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 4 sets 5

Barbell Floor Press off blocks
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 4 sets 5
    Superset with
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    50kg x 4 sets 5

4 sets of
    Incline Dumbell Close Grip Press
    10kg DBs x 8
    Superset with
    Close Grip Lat Pulldown
    35kg x 8

*The last set of the incline db press I did 6 * 12.5kg DBs. Just testing to see if I could go up next time. And the Lat Pulldown, I'll have to up the weight or up the reps.

Hope everybody continues to have a fit and healthy New Year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Nice handy session to ease back into it. Think I'll have to move back to trapbar deadlifts in the next couple weeks. Might start incorporating some cardio back in. Most blogs I'm reading are from Crossfit pregnant ladies, and they're still doing all their WODs upto 3rd trimester, including runs, rowing etc. Looking forward to the next 3 months.

Fair play to you for continuing your training!:) I've no experience with being pregnant (thankfully:P) and I'd imagine its so hard to find information that you trust on the matter. I remember reading about how important it is to monitor maternal temperature and heartrate as it can be a risk factor for hypoxia. Might be worth a bit of research on the matter...if you are unsure of how to structure your training in the coming months! :)

• Advertisement

Was down in the in-laws so didn't get to go the gym through New Years. The camogie team are doing some pre-season training 2 nights a week in Advanced Fitness for the month of Jan. Strength and conditioning mainly. I'm hopping in with them for the craic. First session was last night. From what I can remember it included:

Tuesday 6th Jan

5 rounds (35 seconds each exercise) no break
    12kg KB Swings
    TRX Pull-ups

10 Push-ups x 3 sets (10 sec break)
    10 Bodyweight Squats x 5 sets (10 sec break)
    Some partner work - planks, ab work etc which I sat out.

Love working out with the team, good banter and good bonding.

Wednesday 7th Jan

Bench Press (all paused)
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 8
    35kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3

Last 4 sets were superset with
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    45kg x 8

Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 4 sets 5

Good Mornings
    40kg x 4 sets 8

*Had to buy new gym gear, the bump is getting HUUUGGGE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

gymfreak wrote: »
    Fair play to you for continuing your training!:) I've no experience with being pregnant (thankfully:P) and I'd imagine its so hard to find information that you trust on the matter.

Ditto on this!

Could you link to some of the blogs you mentioned? Or send them in a pm? I'm NOT expecting but I'm doing some training in pre-/post-natal training in the next few months and would love some more reading material :-)

The youngest fella (4) broke his arm last week so was in Temple St Thursday and Friday with him. Spent the weekend wishing I had eyes in the back of my head to prevent him from breaking his other arm. He is my smiling lunatic. 14 years being a Mammy and his was the first broken bone of the 4 kids. In anyway....

Great week training wise:

Monday 12th

Worked out with my pal. Gonna help her get started lifting weights. Feel comfortable showing her Deadlift and Bench, but not Squat.

Warmed up with a 500m row 2.20. Had this down to well under 2 mins before Xmas but not meant to get my heart rate too high so took it handyish.

Lat Pulldown 35kg x 4 sets 8

Trap Bar Deadlift
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 6

Bench
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 9
    35kg x 6
    40kg x 3

Prowler 60kg & Farmers Walk 30m w 15kg bags x 4 sets.

Tuesday 13th

Strength and Conditioning Class with the Camogie team which included:
    3 Sets x 30 Secs (no rest)
    Dumbbell Squats
    Push Ups

Overhead Dumbbell Squat Press 30 secs x 3
    30 secs rest

Single Arm Dumbbell Snatch x 4 rounds
    Right Arm x 10
    5 Push-ups
    Left Arm x 10

30 Secs
    Bent Over Rows
    Plank

*I'm leaving stuff out, can't remember it all.

Wednesday 14th

Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3

Bench
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 3
    40kg x 4 sets 3
    Last 4 sets superset with
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 50kg x 5

Thursday 15th

S&C with the team. Tonight was purely conditioning. So many sprints, shuttle-runs, push-ups, mountain climbers etc. Pure wrecked after it, hence posting this from a scalding hot bubble bath :)

*Will post links to articles I read underneath Helliwen.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Unreal amount of work, whenever I'm feeling lazy I'll drop into this log for a kick in the arse.

Fair play for continuing your training while expecting!

You could keep the same set / rep scheme for chin ups and have progressive overload over the next 9 months....

:pac:

• Advertisement

Tuesday 20th - S&C Class w/ Camogie Team

4 exercises x 4 rounds
    TRX Rows
    Sit-ups
    Push-ups
    Single Arm Dumb-bell Snatch 10kg DB

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
    Squats
    Jumping Jacks
    Mountain Climbers
    Push-ups
    TRX Rows

Dumb-bell Floor Press 9kg db's x 4 rounds
    *this was supersetted with a single arm dumbbell sit-up motion thingy that I didn't do.

Great class.

Wednesday 21st

Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    *Apparently I swing too much coming back up from the box. Something to work on.

Good Mornings 40kg 5 sets 5

Single Board Bench Press
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 10
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    40kg x 3
    40kg x 3

15 mins conditioning work
    Prowler 20metres
    & 90kg x 6 rounds
    & 120kg x 3 rounds

Farmers Walks 30 metres w/ 20kg sand bags x 6 rounds.

Friday 23rd Jan

Didn't do the Strength & Cond. Class last night with the camogie team. The body was weary and I'm getting a bit better at listening to the cues. Got about 6 hours sleep which is amazing for me, so felt brand new this morning. Literally had 45 mins to get my Deadlift session done so breaks were minimal.

Trap Bar Deadlift
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 6
    80kg x 4 x 6 sets
    90kg x 3 x 4 sets

Last 10 sets were superset with Dumbell Floor Press 10kg x 8 reps. Should have really gone for 15kgs x 6 reps but place was busy and I was pushed for time so didn't bother looking for the 15s. Had a new playlist on the iPod, and would have stayed for the morning if time was on my side :)

Monday 26th Jan
    This was an unplanned session. Went over with my pal to help her with her squat and deadlift, and ended up doing more than I had intended. Have a lot on this week so don't know how my training will workout.

Trap Bar Deadlifts
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 1 x 3 (this is 80% of 1RM on normal deadlift)

Bench
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    35kg x 4 sets 5

Prowler 100kg 20metres x 6 rounds
    Superset with Farmers Walks 2 x 15kg bags 30 metres.

Tuesday 27th
    Box Squat
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3 sets of 5

Bench
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 3 sets 5

Trap Bar Deadlift
    50kg x 8
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3 sets 5

Need to start working on accessory exercises, more Dumbell work/lat pulldown/pulley row etc to try isolate different muscles and hopefully improve my bench.

Going to try Hanleys program that he has posted to try up my bench. If somebody with more of a clue than me would like to take a look and let me know if I'm on the right track, I'd be really grateful :)

A) Main Lift
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

Main lift progressions:
    70% 5x8+
    75% 5x6+
    80% 5x5+
    85% 5x4+
    90% 5x3+
    95% 5x2+

So working off a 42.5kg 1rm (and rounding up)

Week 1
    A) Bench 30kgx 5 sets 8
    B) Close Grip Bench 27.5kg x 5 sets 8
    C) Incline Bench or Barbell Floor Press???
    D) Dumbell Single Arm Row 15kg 4 sets 12
    E) Skull Crushers 4 sets 12 (chose these cause my triceps need a lot of work, will have to test out some weights to see what I can manage)

Week 2
    Bench 32kg 5 sets 6

Week 3
    Bench 34kg 5 sets 5

Week 4
    Bench 36kg 5 sets 4

Week 5
    Bench 38kg 5 sets 3

Week 6
    Bench 40kg 5 sets 2

This sound about right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think that's what my upper body day looks like. Bench, incline, db bench, db rows, flys, in those numbers. Uh i guess it would look the same since its from him, lol
    I think the db one for me is cos my left arm is wonky at the benching

Week 1
    A) Bench 30kgx 5 sets 8
    B) Close Grip Bench 27.5kg x 5 sets 8
    C) Incline Bench or Barbell Floor Press???
    D) Dumbell Single Arm Row 15kg 4 sets 12
    E) Skull Crushers 4 sets 12 (chose these cause my triceps need a lot of work, will have to test out some weights to see what I can manage)

Pretty much what I do on bench day. Bench, Close-grip, Incline, Rows, Skullz.

Bear in mind when you're testing out weight for skullz that they'll have been worked in the earlier sets, especially close grip so better to start lighter than where you're at doing them fresh.

Thanks guys :) Never did incline bench before, and as these don't change for the 6 weeks I need to find a challenging enough weight.

Wednesday 28th

Box Squats
    Bar x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    67.5kg x 3

Speed Bench using Single Board
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 8 sets 3
    *Impressed myself with the speed these were shooting up. Normally on any kind of speed work I fail miserably, but these were deadly.

Thanks guys :) Never did incline bench before, and as these don't change for the 6 weeks I need to find a challenging enough weight.

Well, they do change. It says 5 x 8, which is what you should be getting the first week but try going for AMRAP on the 5th set the next week and if you're getting 12+ reps, you can step the weight up a bit if you think you'll be able for 5 x 8 at the next weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vaidookas_

Well done girls! Impressive!

Thursday 29th
    Strength & Cond with the Camogie team. Lots of sprints, boxercise, air squats, planks etc. The girls are going to continue with the classes for Feb, but think it's time for me to bow out now. The sprints etc are starting to leave me more breathless than I'd like.

Monday 2nd Feb
    Started the Bench program....all the Jeebus's.

Week 1
    A) Bench
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 8
    30kg x 12

B) Close Grip Bench 25kg x 5 sets 8

C) Incline Bench - Bar x 5 sets 8 (Never did these before, just left it at the bar to get used to the exercise. Should be ok for 25kg next week)

D) Dumbell Single Arm Row 12.5kg 4 sets 12

E) Tricep Dips 4 sets 12 *Had planned to do skulls here, but when I lay flat on the bench and performing the exercise I felt it was putting too much pressure on my stomach. Didn't feel right at all. Then I remembered reading overhead presses of any kind are not recommended during pregnancy, and wonder is it the same kind of action? Just felt it was pulling stomach muscles it shouldn't be. Overall, enjoyed it but it's quite intensive. Did it with my pal who's just starting to lift weights so looking forward to seeing our progress.

• Advertisement

After Monday 2nd training session, came down with the lousiest of chest infections. Had to take a full week off. Still have a manky cough, but the lungs aren't on fire anymore. Just did a light session Tuesday evening to ease back into it.

Tuesday 10th Feb

Deadlift
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5 sets 5

Box Squat
    Bar x 10
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 5 sets 5

Bench
    Bar x 10
    25kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    32.5kg x 4 sets 5

Wednesday 11th Feb
    2nd week of Bench program. Got some good advice re keeping both legs up on bench. Doesn't put any pressure on my pelvic/hip region. Was hard to get used to at first but can see the logic in it. Feel like I'm missing a bit of the drive I used to get through my legs, but considering my bench is so weak, can't imagine it's a biggie :)

Bench 32.5kg 5 sets 6 (last set was 9)

Close Grip Bench 25kg x 5 sets 8

Incline Bench 25kg 5 sets 8
    *Last set was 6+2

Dumbbell Single Arm Row 15kg x 4 sets 12 (Used 12.5 DB last week, but felt I could move up)

Skull Crushers 10kg x 4 sets 12 (Found if I used the same technique as the bench with feet on the bench, these were grand)

Will try get over for a squat session over the weekend.

After Monday 2nd training session, came down with the lousiest of chest infections. Had to take a full week off.

Excuses excuses.

Stop being so lazy! :P

And what was worse, I'm turning into one of those freaks. I had to talk myself out of going the gym after day 3/4, trying to convince myself it would do no harm. I used to relish a week where I could be lazy without guilt. What has become of me??? When I start talking bout "gainz" and "gunz", I'll consider myself officially turned :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm sick as well and all I want to do is gym
    lol
    hope the cough clears up fast for ya

So eh, I have Pleurisy. What a pile of gick.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Feck! You poor thing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Oh noes :( Feel better soon - take it easy on yourself (if you know how! :))

Last time I heard of pleurisy was in Junior Cert History.

Last time I heard of pleurisy was in Junior Cert History.

Junior Cert? You must only be a youngfella. Inter Cert all the way for me :)

• Advertisement

Junior Cert? You must only be a youngfella. Inter Cert all the way for me :)

It had changed from Inter Cert by the time the horse and cart dropped me off at the exam hall.

Advertisement