Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

phog wrote: »
    So this bad news is spreading. Now it's bad news for Ryan and Foley. I hope they can cope with it.

Should someone ask Billy Holland how he feels about it too?
    I imagine he's not best pleased as his season will mostly be spent with the A team unless there's an injury to any of the other three. Are you going to pretend that this is good news for him?
    Rotation

Do you think Foley or Ryan will be thinking "ah it's grand, just a bit of rotation" when they're benching for European games?

I'm more than happy to suggest that it's incredibly important for Munster to have at least 3 locks capable of playing Euro games, but it's quite naive to think that it's good news on a personal level for them that Munster have got this stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

What's the point of sarcastic replies? Nobody else is acting like this.

I don't see Billy Holland as a candidate to be a starter in the same sense as Ryan, Foley and Chisholm. Chisholm pushes at least some players down the pecking order, does that need to be said?

If Chisholm pushes Ryan or Foley onto the bench then the guy who was on the bench (Holland) gets knocked out of the 23

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Chisholm pushes Ryan or Foley onto the bench then the guy who was on the bench (Holland) gets knocked out of the 23

I know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 esterhayes

case885 wrote: »
    So just because he's a new signing he has to start? That's not how it works, the 2 best performing locks will start and you've no evidence to say Chisholm will be one of them.

more experienced, more proven and bigger than Foley, signed to replace POC.

yeah nothing to suggest Munster plan on him being a starter.

Poor allocation or limited resources both money and NQ slots if he is sitting on the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 esterhayes

I imagine he's not best pleased as his season will mostly be spent with the A team unless there's an injury to any of the other three. Are you going to pretend that this is good news for him?

Do you think Foley or Ryan will be thinking "ah it's grand, just a bit of rotation" when they're benching for European games?

I'm more than happy to suggest that it's incredibly important for Munster to have at least 3 locks capable of playing Euro games, but it's quite naive to think that it's good news on a personal level for them that Munster have got this stock.

some people can't read or something, it's a good signing for Munster but not good news for any current locks at Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've never seen such misery being dragged out of a good news story. When Foley is on the pitch in big games, and he will be on the pitch in big games, his second row partner will be more likely to be operating at a consistently high level. This makes his job easier as he can concentrate more on his own game and less on covering his partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I don't see why Foley would lose out. Given Ryans recent injury record I reckon we'll see a lot of Foley and Chisholm in the same team this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

We need Chisolm as Ryan, Holland and Foley will all be at the world cup!

Was there the same concern expressed for Toner/McCarthy when Kane Douglas was announced as having signed for Leinster as there is for Foley and now to a lesser degree Ryan with Chisholm coming to Munster?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

esterhayes wrote: »
    it's far more likely now than it was pre signing.

did Munster sign Chisolm to sit on the bench? if so not a great way of using limited NIQ slots is it ?

Leinster didn't sign Douglas to sit on the Bench either....but...

I think Chisholm is a far better player than Douglas though...

Great signing for Munster I think...

With POC gone from both Ireland and Munster , either Foley or Ryan could be unavailable to Munster for large parts of the season (and have the player welfare limits applied) - So having someone of that Quality available week in week out will be of huge value...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's a great signing, as good a replacement for POC as we could have hoped for.

Was there the same concern expressed for Toner/McCarthy when Kane Douglas was announced as having signed for Leinster as there is for Foley and now to a lesser degree Ryan with Chisholm coming to Munster?

whatabout this or whatabout that or whatabout what?

Are people not allowed raise rational points? Everyone, and I mean everyone, has said that this is a good signing for Munster.

By being so ultra-defensive, you have asked those who have (imo) logically pointed out of the comparatively small 'downside' of the transfer, to repeat their point over and over, so that it might even appear that they are rabidly doing so.

You haven't even at any stage contested the point, just questioned it, and offered some whataboutery.
    Do you disagree with the contention that was made? Can you explain your reasoning if you do?

whatabout this or whatabout that or whatabout what?

Are people not allowed raise rational points? Everyone, and I mean everyone, has said that this is a good signing for Munster.

By being so ultra-defensive, you have asked those who have (imo) logically pointed out of the comparatively small 'downside' of the transfer, to repeat their point over and over, so that it might even appear that they are rabidly doing so.

You haven't even at any stage contested the point, just questioned it, and offered some whataboutery.
    Do you disagree with the contention that was made? Can you explain your reasoning if you do?

I actually don't accept that Foley is in any worse position now than he was 12 months ago, in fact I'd rate POC higher than Chisholm but think Chisholm will bring some of his own experiences to the position from which all our locks should benifit.

And having glanced at the news of KD siging over on that thread there wasn't one mention of how that signing might affect the IQ players.

I wonder why it became an issue today?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I actually don't accept that Foley is in any worse position now than he was 12 months ago, in fact I'd rate POC higher than Chisholm but think Chisholm will bring some of his own experiences to the position from which all our locks should benifit.

And having glanced at the news of KD siging over on that thread there wasn't one mention of how that signing might affect the IQ players.

It's a completely different situation isn't it?

Well Ryan was injured, and had been long term, and DOC had just finished a season where he'd benched for most if not all of it (behind Foley). And POC was an insta-starter so Foley was vying for a spot with an injured player and a player who he'd been ahead of for the entire season.

The situation is totally different now, as Munster look to have more quality in the row with 3 players all vying for 2 spots without a huge amount between any of them.

Because there wasn't anywhere near the quality-competition at Leinster! Denton's international prospects weren't exactly affected by Douglas arriving. McCarthy was a bit-part* player with Cullen previously, and remained so with Douglas. .ak's first post after the announcement tells you the state of affairs!

Consider the Sexton returning instead, and the impact on Madigan for a comparable situation.
    *not starting each week, benching for big games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If Ryan again misses the entire season like he did last year, then yes, Foley is in exactly the same position.

I wonder why we can't discuss a Munster issue without dragging Leinster into it? Isn't that a more valid question.

.ak wrote: »
    It's a completely different situation isn't it?

International lock signs for an Irish province where two of the current players in the province could be starters for that province in a cup game.

International lock signs for an Irish province where two of the current players in the province could be starters for that province in a cup game.

Ha!

So Brad Thorn's signing was the same situation too? Or Owen Finnegan's?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Phog by your rule unless someone posts on a similar topic every time it invalidates a subsequent opinion. This is strawman stuff.

Someone can surely make a comment without being cross examined on what they didn't post in the past. If I say X player had a good season, can I called out on never saying it during the season? I don't think that's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jankouskas87

Surely this is good news.Chilsom is a former international with experience of playing in the Northern Hempisphere the last few years.

People seem to be saying that the positive impact of signing him is negated by the negative impact it has on someone like Dave Foley.With all due respect if Dave Foley is good enough then he will start and Chilsom won't.

Without doubt there is potential that Dave Foley may leave if he feels as though he's not getting enough game time this seaon but that comes with the territory of professional sport right -how many players have left Munster cause they weren't getting enough game time went on to prove Munster wrong? (I'm genuinely unsure of this!)

• Advertisement

Surely this is good news.Chilsom is a former international with experience of playing in the Northern Hempisphere the last few years.

People seem to be saying that the positive impact of signing him is negated by the negative impact it has on someone like Dave Foley.With all due respect if Dave Foley is good enough then he will start and Chilsom won't.

Without doubt there is potential that Dave Foley may leave if he feels as though he's not getting enough game time this seaon but that comes with the territory of professional sport right -how many players have left Munster cause they weren't getting enough game time went on to prove Munster wrong? (I'm genuinely unsure of this!)

Nobody is saying this! Everyone has said it's a good signing! The positives far outweigh the perceived negatives.

It could be read by number of comments that people are focusing on the single, small negative, but it's because tediously that single negative point has been questioned over and over and over again (though not once contradicted)

Phog by your rule unless someone posts on a similar topic every time it invalidates a subsequent opinion. This is strawman stuff.

Someone can surely make a comment without being cross examined on what they didn't post in the past.

I'm making no rules just a real comparison

Anyway, I'm done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Wow. Talk about mis-interpretation! This is Chinese whispers stuff. Nobody said it was a bad signing, or that it was bad news, or that Dave Foley may leave Munster now as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Donnacha Ryan emerged no problem with POC, DOC & Mick O'Driscoll in the squad. He didn't leave. Plenty of big games for all of them. I just can't see how Foley will lose out.

Interview with Chisolm here when at Bayonne - comes across as a very sound bloke and will fit in very well in Munster.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1sc8pa_bayonne-castres-mark-chisholm-se-confie_sport

PS - Toner was all the better for Thorn & Hines coming into the Leinster squad, though I must say I thought that bringing in Thorn must have been tough for Toner to take at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

Does anyone know when Holland, Foley and GVDH are back from injury?

17 July 2015 11:02am
    Pre-Season Week 3 Update
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20875.php#.VcIkiPNVhBc

Looks like 10 weeks of recovery for Holland after his ankle surgery, doesn't say when he got the surgery, but he could be back in action possibly 6-8 weeks from now I'm guessing.

Couldn't find any recent update on Foley or GVDH anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jankouskas87

"Foley is more likely to lose out than Ryan, but this signing is bad news for all the locks at munster."

Actually some did say it was bad news.... but I'm taking this out of context in fairness.

I've reread the majority of the posts so far and ya people are definitely positive about the move - apologies for my previous misinterpretation.

Also me suggesting that "Dave Foley may leave Munster now as a result" is purely me speculating what happens if he doesn't play many games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Some amount of **** has been written about what Mark Chisholm's signing means to others. To me he is will be exactly the same as John Langford in '99 bringing something different and bringing on the younger locks and make Foley etc better. Remember DOC getting angry with Galwey? Made him better all those years ago. A bit of pride and that chip on the shoulder has always worked in Munster

Chisholm meets up with Munster squad in Kilalloe today
    Today also saw second row Mark Chisholm pay his first visit to his new club. The former Australian international and Bayonne captain was in Limerick today and met with Munster backroom staff in competing medical and fitness tests prior to his full move to the province in the coming weeks. It was announced on Wednesday that Chisholm will join Munster on a two-year contract subject to being granted a valid work permit and obtaining medical and fitness clearance.

Tommy possibly out for months rather than weeks according to Ml Corcoran.

We're light enough in decent replacement for him.

He was badly missed at the later stages of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jimmymcelroy

If o'donnell is only out for a few months we can deal with it. That injury looks potentially career threatening. Nearly 4 years to the day we lost wallace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement