Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's post keeps coming to apartment

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I dont know any.....

I'm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

I think most people (both tenants and landlords) are reasonable and realise that when you move, no matter how hard you try to update your contacts with your new address, that a few will slip through. In these cases, I think most people would have no problem with forwarding them to the landlords address or to the previous tenants new address (though An Post no longer officially provide a forwarding service where you can cross out the delivery address and provide a forwarding address. You are meant to put a new stamp on it)

However, it becomes an issue, as with the OP, where the landlord doesn't seem to have made any effort to update his address or set up postal forwarding and continues to use the tenants address as their own. Now it could be just laziness, assuming that the tenant will just forward it to them, maybe they're pretending to the bank etc that they are living there to avail of lower interest rates and avoid tax on rental income or maybe they're using that address for payment of services and you'll have debt collectors at your door when they don't pay. Who knows, but as a tenant you are not obliged to forward post to your landlord. I think you should send your landlord a letter with the next post that you forward to them, informing them that you are not happy to receive post addressed to anyone else to your home and that you will forward on any post received to the landlord for the next 2 weeks, but after that, any post received at your address addressed to anyone else but yourself will be returned to sender. This gives them plenty of time to set up postal redirection and so any post they don't receive is their own responsibility. Those mentioning dumping the letters would be guilty of an offence under the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act, 1983 by preventing their delivery so would not take this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

athtrasna wrote: »
    Ridiculous. It's the tenant's home. Only their post should go there. Sadderday why on earth are you collecting post for people who don't live there?

Because when you move to the next address, it be nice to think any wayward post would get to your eventually perhaps, or just to be "nice".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,185 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because when you move to the next address, it be nice to think any wayward post would get to your eventually perhaps, or just to be "nice".

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redirection/

Trusting it to chance is utterly irresponsible.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks I've had enough of the squabbling - I'm locking this thread down. I'll discuss with my co-mods if we want to reopen the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement