Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's post keeps coming to apartment

Options
  • 02-07-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

As accommodation and property issues go, this is admittedly a minor problem, I realise that!

Moved into an apartment 6-7 weeks ago, we rent via a lettig agency. Every week we get 2-3 pieces of post for the landlord into our letterbox. The letting agent has offered to collect the post on a weeky basis from the apartment but this doesn't always suit as I work odd hours. She asked me then to drop it into the office whenever any post arrives for him (the office is 12.5km away and it is rarely convenient for me).

Am I moaning about something stupid or would any of ye be a bit fed up of this? I thought after a month or so he would have changed his address but nope, the post is still coming just as often for him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Write "no longer lives at this address " on the post and drop it into a post box. The landlord has had ample time to redirect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

As accommodation and property issues go, this is admittedly a minor problem, I realise that!

Moved into an apartment 6-7 weeks ago, we rent via a lettig agency. Every week we get 2-3 pieces of post for the landlord into our letterbox. The letting agent has offered to collect the post on a weeky basis from the apartment but this doesn't always suit as I work odd hours. She asked me then to drop it into the office whenever any post arrives for him (the office is 12.5km away and it is rarely convenient for me).

Am I moaning about something stupid or would any of ye be a bit fed up of this? I thought after a month or so he would have changed his address but nope, the post is still coming just as often for him.

I'd just ignore it. No way would I be going out of my way to bring it elsewhere. We had LL post coming to our apartment too - we just figured she was pretending to live there as she didnt have the place reg'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Return to sender every letter you get.

Don't let on you know anything about it.

The property is now your home as long as you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Return to sender every letter you get.

Don't let on you know anything about it.

The property is now your home as long as you pay.

Any tenant of mine tried anything like that, I'd find a relative that needed a place to live, and out on their ear would go the tenant.

Then I'd relet.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

It's always to keep on the landlords good side IMO ... Could you not get a forwarding address for the landlord and just writ this on any post and pop it on the post box for the postman to collect ??? Or keep whatever post does come for him and poo it all in the one envelope and post it to the letting agent every couple of weeks ??

• Advertisement

The Spider wrote: »
    Any tenant of mine tried anything like that, I'd find a relative that needed a place to live, and out on their ear would go the tenant.

Then I'd relet.

Why? They are your tenant not your secretary or post clerk!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Then I'd relet.

So you'd break the law because a tenant refused to be your skivvy?

You can pay for postal redirection, its not that dear.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Why? They are your tenant not your secretary or post clerk!

Who knows, he may want his post going there, if you're in Dublin best do what you're told, or you'll find yourself either evicted or receiving a rent increase.

When I rented I gave the landlord his post, made sure I wasn't there for inspections, and surprise surprise my rent was never hiked in 6 years and when I left I had been paying 600 euro below market rate for 2 years.

Not rocket science whatever the landlord is doing is none of your business stay on his good side and you'll be ok.

Cause hassle and you'll be out at the first opportunity.

Who knows, he may want his post going there

Its not his delivery address, so whether he wants it or not is irrelevant.

Landlords who take revenge for actually being made act appropriately are slumlords and nothing better - and it appears you've admitted you are / will be one. Fantastic.

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not his delivery address, so whether he wants it or not is irrelevant.

Landlords who take revenge for actually being made act appropriately are slumlords and nothing better - and it appears you've admitted you are / will be one. Fantastic.

Doesn't matter what you call someone or get indignant about, doesn't matter new tenants will come along and have no problem keeping the landlords post, and you'll be searching for a new place, probably at a higher rent because you didn't want to be a skivvy, only one loser here and it's not the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Just put the post in a box / bag and pass it on when you get the chance. I would be up for tenants rights etc but this and some of the responses are mean and silly. I rented out a house once and got news of a long lost pal (who was ill) via a letter from his mum to my property.

If the tenant had not kept it for me -- damn right i would have kicked them out

Doesn't matter what you call someone or get indignant about, doesn't matter new tenants will come along and have no problem keeping the landlords post, and you'll be searching for a new place, probably at a higher rent because you didn't want to be a skivvy, only one loser here and it's not the landlord.

The landlord'll be the loser when they're heavily fined for an illegal eviction for the invented and extremely easily found out proposition you made above.

If you move out of somewhere, get your post redirected or don't expect to get it - making up fantastical situations to try show you're some form of hardman doesn't get you your post.

Also, how much rent would you forgo for the time you're pretending someone else is in the house, just to get yourself some pathetic satisfaction?

MYOB wrote: »
    The landlord'll be the loser when they're heavily fined for an illegal eviction for the invented and extremely easily found out proposition you made above.

If you move out of somewhere, get your post redirected or don't expect to get it - making up fantastical situations to try show you're some form of hardman doesn't get you your post.

Also, how much rent would you forgo for the time you're pretending someone else is in the house, just to get yourself some pathetic satisfaction?

Not really you don't know what's in the post maybe he has investments or bills he doesn't want his family to know about?

It's not pathetic satisfaction, could be loads of reasons he doesn't want the post going to his current address.

Landlords want tenants who'll play ball, just as they don't want a tenant ringing them because they need a new fuse.

More likely situation is that they'll just put up the rent especially if you've been there more than a year and haven't had a rent review, or if it's coming up to when the lease needs to be renewed, where they would have let it go, they decide to put the rent up.

Or they may have a relative that needs a place and offer it to them at a discount.

Fact is landlords don't want hassle in any shape or form, you cause hassle and you end up as something that needs resolving shall we say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

.......... i'm in a property 6 months.

We get loads of post for old tenants and the landlords.... we collected them and gave them to the estate agent when she came for an inspection... and still collecting for when we see her next...

IS this wrong? she said it was fine ?

Not really you don't know what's in the post maybe he has investments or bills he doesn't want his family to know about?

It's not pathetic satisfaction, could be loads of reasons he doesn't want the post going to his current address.
    Then they need to hire a post box. They don't live at the place they are renting to tenants, they have no entitlement to have post directed there. It also smacks of tax evasion, if post goes there the landlord can claim to be living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Landlords want tenants who'll play ball, just as they don't want a tenant ringing them because they need a new fuse.

More likely situation is that they'll just put up the rent especially if you've been there more than a year and haven't had a rent review, or if it's coming up to when the lease needs to be renewed, where they would have let it go, they decide to put the rent up.

Or they may have a relative that needs a place and offer it to them at a discount.

Fact is landlords don't want hassle in any shape or form, you cause hassle and you end up as something that needs resolving shall we say.

If you own property then you would probably up there with the crappest landlords in the country.

Basing this solely on the advice you are giving in this thread.

If a landlord wants his post to the address, stick it in the contract and reduce the rent for the tenant citing the fact that they are now some sort of PO box for you.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Sadderday wrote: »
    .......... i'm in a property 6 months.

We get loads of post for old tenants and the landlords.... we collected them and gave them to the estate agent when she came for an inspection... and still collecting for when we see her next...

IS this wrong? she said it was fine ?

Nope carry on I say, landlords will let the post they want come to their homes and post they want go to their btl's

listermint wrote: »
    If you own property then you would probably up there with the crappest landlords in the country.

Basing this solely on the advice you are giving in this thread.

If a landlord wants his post to the address, stick it in the contract and reduce the rent for the tenant citing the fact that they are now some sort of PO box for you.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Theory, theory, theory on a bulletin board, if you've a nice place and the estate agent says the landlord wants to have his post collected are you going to argue realistically if you're 7 months into a lease?

Rent a postbox elsewhere - the tenants house is not his mailing address.

The pathetic satisfaction was in kicking a tenant out because you're unwilling to actually do things properly.

If landlords want to "play ball" they need to themselves - including getting their post redirected. This is not a one way street.

Trying to scare people in to accepting substandard service will eventually backfire.

Losing money in the process; but your original suggestion was them using that as a reason to illegally evict someone and nothing more. ("Then I'd relet.")

Landlords who don't want to be landlords shouldn't *be* landlords. Not being allowed abuse your tenants time and mailing address is part of what you get by renting out the house. Tenants are your customers not your servants.

Nope carry on I say, landlords will let the post they want come to their homes and post they want go to their btl's

Ridiculous. It's the tenant's home. Only their post should go there. Sadderday why on earth are you collecting post for people who don't live there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theory, theory, theory on a bulletin board, if you've a nice place and the estate agent says the landlord wants to have his post collected are you going to argue realistically if you're 7 months into a lease?

Yes, Im not a postal address. Just like anyone elses post il send it return to sender.

This is now my home in accordance with the law. Sure if you want to sit down and come up with some arrangement then we can work it out.

But dont assume im here to gather all your crap and deliver it to you or have you knocking at my door every week.

I mean come on. I dont care how fancy you think your property is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Ridiculous. It's the tenant's home. Only their post should go there. Sadderday why on earth are you collecting post for people who don't live there?

well, its no hassle to put envelopes into a designated spot until whenever I see the EA

listermint wrote: »
    Yes, Im not a postal address. Just like anyone elses post il send it return to sender.

This is now my home in accordance with the law. Sure if you want to sit down and come up with some arrangement then we can work it out.

But dont assume im here to gather all your crap and deliver it to you or have you knocking at my door every week.

I mean come on. I dont care how fancy you think your property is.

Ha, wouldn't be every week, and where you say no, plenty of people will say yes. Supply and demand of rental properties'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

In that case perhaps a PO box or more secure address might be in order, rather than delivering sensitive documents into the hands of a stranger. In short, getting important post delivered to anybody else's home is a bad idea, regardless of whether they are your tenant or not. Just common sense for anybody running a business, including a landlord.

In that case perhaps a PO box or more secure address might be in order, rather than delivering sensitive documents into the hands of a stranger. In short, getting important post delivered to anybody else's home is a bad idea, regardless of whether they are your tenant or not. Just common sense for anybody running a business, including a landlord.

True, but then there may be ramifications in letting whoever's sending the post know that they now had to send it to postbox.

True, but then there may be ramifications in letting whoever's sending the post know that they now had to send it to postbox.

Yes if the landlord is avoiding tax

Yes if the landlord is avoiding tax

They may be, who knows either way none of your business if you don't want to find yourself looking for a new place.

Like?

Not telling the bank its no longer an owner occupier when on an owner occupier mortgage?

Not having it appropriately insured for a rented property?

Regardless, its the landlords issue and not the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Let's say your tenant was of the same mind-frame. I'd imagine that there might be ramifications if he/she realised they were in possession of sensitive information regarding their landlord. Time for a rent decrease, anyone?

Anyway this is all hypothetical nonsense. Responding to the OP, you are under no obligation to collect post for your landlord. Tell your letting agent that them collecting the post is not convenient for you and that you'd like the landlord to employ a post redirection service, as you are afraid some of the letters might become mislaid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

We get a lot of post for the previous tenants. I just let it pile up and hand it to the LL when he comes around to collect the rent. I only do that because he happens to be around for other business. I wouldn't bother if it meant me contacting him to come get it and sure as hell wouldn't travel to give it to him. They don't live here, there is no reason to get post sent here and if it is important then you should have it sent to your own house or family member.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement