Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's post keeps coming to apartment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Is it that big a deal to just stick the post that isn't for you in a cupboard. I get LL post and post for about 5 previous tenant. Frankly I can't be bothered to write on it and post it. It just gets thrown on top of some cupboards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just pile it in a corner. Don't go out of your way to deliver it unless the letting agent/Landlord turns up with their begging bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Spider wrote: »
    Any tenant of mine tried anything like that, I'd find a relative that needed a place to live, and out on their ear would go the tenant.
    How exactly would you know?

When I was renting, I just let the letters build up, and passed them onto the landlord. If the landlord got antsy, and started dropping threats regarding his mail, I'd probably get curious on it's contents...

And no, you wouldn't know the post was opened :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They may be, who knows either way none of your business if you don't want to find yourself looking for a new place.

Well yes it is, because for them to be on the PRTB the tenancy has to be compliant.

So if the property is some form of tax avoidance the tenant is also complicit.

But sure you know that already.... Or actually judging on the posts you may not.

Because some properties are just so dammed nice, be dammed with the law... Ya know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Leave a shoe box handy and put all the post into it. I wouldn't bother agreeing to the agent calling weekly. That's ridiculous when the LL can surely organise to redirect his own post. Nor would I travel to deliver it and I wouldn't pay the price of a stamp to redirect it myself. If you happen to be in when the agent calls then hand over the post but otherwise why would anyone be expected to go out of their way to accommodate someone using an incorrect address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

athtrasna wrote: »
    Then they need to hire a post box. They don't live at the place they are renting to tenants, they have no entitlement to have post directed there. It also smacks of tax evasion, if post goes there the landlord can claim to be living there.

+1, I heard of a case recently where that landlord had failed to inform his bank he had let his property and was continuing to get all his post to his rental property. The property fell into arrears and when eviction processes eventually started and baliffs arrived to change locks it was the tenants, who had been paying rent the entire time, who were locked out of the house and all of their possessions locked inside. Not sure but think they had to get a court order to gain access to retrieve their possessions

Your address is an important part of your identity, if someone is trying to pretend they're living somewhere they aren't, then they're up to something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

athtrasna wrote: »
    Write "no longer lives at this address " on the post and drop it into a post box. The landlord has had ample time to redirect it.

Simple but effective

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I think you're all being very uncooperative here, I would be delighted to help my landlord out like this. I'd even offer them a discount off the standard rates for this kind of service (it's the "PO Box Delivery" option they're asking for as far as I can make out).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Act the asshole with the landlords post and then see what happens when you leave. Your post that goes to your old address you will never see again.
    But I will redirect it I hear you say. Yea an post and all other companies are so efficient and nothing will ever slip through to your old address.
    I would not go out of my way to help him nor would I try to harm him.
    Hold onto the post for your landlord and give it to him every few weeks.
    If you are not there when he calls for it then he just has to wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Any tenant of mine tried anything like that, I'd find a relative that needed a place to live, and out on their ear would go the tenant.

Then I'd relet.
    What is the matter with. Redirect your post like a normal person. Why should a tenant have to worry about your post. They want peaceful enjoyment of their home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

It's always to keep on the landlords good side IMO ... Could you not get a forwarding address for the landlord and just writ this on any post and pop it on the post box for the postman to collect ??? Or keep whatever post does come for him and poo it all in the one envelope and post it to the letting agent every couple of weeks ??
    Just starting to read the thread so perhaps there is a reply.

What address is given in the lease agreement for the landlord. This is a legal requirement in case there is a claim against him with the PRTB. If you don´t have a written agreement then you must have a rent book with the required details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

It wouldn't be a source of aggro for me. Stick it in a shoebox in the hall press, give it to the agent next time you see them.

+1, I heard of a case recently where that landlord had failed to inform his bank he had let his property and was continuing to get all his post to his rental property. The property fell into arrears and when eviction processes eventually started and baliffs arrived to change locks it was the tenants, who had been paying rent the entire time, who were locked out of the house and all of their possessions locked inside. Not sure but think they had to get a court order to gain access to retrieve their possessions

Your address is an important part of your identity, if someone is trying to pretend they're living somewhere they aren't, then they're up to something.

I would be a boot to the door it would get if that happens to a place I was renting. I would strip out the cupboard and anything that was in it that wasn't mine. Mind you I would not let the landlord have his post delivered to my place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I would be a boot to the door it would get if that happens to a place I was renting. I would strip out the cupboard and anything that was in it that wasn't mine. Mind you I would not let the landlord have his post delivered to my place.
    And lose your deposit for damage to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

odds_on wrote: »

Perhaps cheaper than a court order.

odds_on wrote: »

That would be the least of my worries if I had been locked out. The landlord had not payed his bill in this case hence the locks being changed, therefore no deposit to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭My Makeup Perspective

It wouldn't be a source of aggro for me. Stick it in a shoebox in the hall press, give it to the agent next time you see them.

I suggested something like this, that perhaps I could collect all the letters and when I happened to be in the letting agent's office's area I could drop them in and she said no, that the landlord requires his post as and when it arrives in our letterbox.

Thanks for all the replies by the way, I'm glad I'm not being odd by being miffed by the situation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I suggested something like this, that perhaps I could collect all the letters and when I happened to be in the letting agent's office's area I could drop them in and she said no, that the landlord requires his post as and when it arrives in our letterbox.

Thanks for all the replies by the way, I'm glad I'm not being odd by being miffed by the situation...

The landlord is not entitled to use your address as his postal address. If he wants his post he should pay for a redirection service. I'd stand by my original thing of returning everything to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Doesn't matter what you call someone or get indignant about, doesn't matter new tenants will come along and have no problem keeping the landlords post, and you'll be searching for a new place, probably at a higher rent because you didn't want to be a skivvy, only one loser here and it's not the landlord.

Whats the fine again for eviction with no apparant reason? And then letting out to a new tenant all while pretending to give it to a family member? €5000 is it? Yeah thats what a slumlord like you would be paying after I take you to court over it and the cost of wrecking your house for being an asshole

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If I see one more post about scum landlords or trouble making tenants I'll start handing out infractions and/or bans - the charter requires that all posters remain civil to each other and reading this thread there are plenty that are skirting the line.

Behave yourselves, it's like a kindergarten in here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I am all above board, tax and registration wise, but I still intentionally get one or two things sent to the house regularly. There is a some regular bank post (not my mortgage provider) and the cable tv in my name. I expect the tenants to just stick them in a drawer out the way. I have asked them to to so, and they have no issue. You never know when I might have to move back in, and 3 months worth of items sent to that address might be useful. I really don't see what the issue is with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I am all above board, tax and registration wise, but I still intentionally get one or two things sent to the house regularly. There is a some regular bank post (not my mortgage provider) and the cable tv in my name. I expect the tenants to just stick them in a drawer out the way. I have asked them to to so, and they have no issue. You never know when I might have to move back in, and 3 months worth of items sent to that address might be useful. I really don't see what the issue is with this

In your case it isn't too bad. Its when you expect the tenant to make trips or you are calling over every week that it becomes a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have rented and had all sorts of post for different people been delivered and as I said before I wrote return to sender as it's not up to me to hand over other peoples mail.

Any proper LL or property owner in their right mind would have post going to their own address and not to a rented property.

This business of some on here saying they would have the tenant out on there ear are either winding us up or are someone you would never want to be renting off.

God help anyone decent been stuck with such a LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Then I'd relet.

You realise that if you lie in order to terminate a part 4 tenancy and are subsequently found out, the "out on his ear" tenant is entitled to recover possession of the property and sue for damages?

Baffles me how many landlords know their rights but not their responsibilites...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Could you not get a forwarding address for the landlord and just writ this on any post and pop it on the post box for the postman to collect ???

You already have a forwarding address for the landlord - is the agent's address.

Just write that on letters, and drop them in the post-box.

Problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Bin the mail,unopened.

You're not a post restante service for the landlord..as far as you're concerned it's Junk Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    You realise that if you lie in order to terminate a part 4 tenancy and are subsequently found out, the "out on his ear" tenant is entitled to recover possession of the property and sue for damages?

Baffles me how many landlords know their rights but not their responsibilites...

Yes and if it's a part 4 and no rent review has happened, well then you can just tell the tenants you intend to put up the rent, a lot of part 4 tenancies are people who've stayed beyond the limits of the lease and the landlord thought it'd be more hassle to get new tenants, and left them alone because they weren't causing trouble.

As soon as you make things 'difficult' get ready for a rent review, and one that is as high as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes and if it's a part 4 and no rent review has happened, well then you can just tell the tenants you intend to put up the rent, a lot of part 4 tenancies are people who've stayed beyond the limits of the lease and the landlord thought it'd be more hassle to get new tenants, and left them alone because they weren't causing trouble.

As soon as you make things 'difficult' get ready for a rent review, and one that is as high as possible.
    Most part 4 tenants have stayed beyond the limits of a lease and are more than entitled to do so by law!

Raising the rent to more than the market rate will be shot down by the PRTB and again the landlord will be out of pocket to the tenant.

Why do you suggest ways the landlord can break the law when compliance would be so much easier and cheaper?

OP write "NO AT THIS ADDRESS" on all post not for you(write it over the address blocking it out) and put it back in a postbox or drop it in your local post office.

As for the slumlords who have post sent to someone else's home for whatever reason, the law and the taxman is catching up to ye, it is only a mater of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

As high as the market rate?

You aren't a landlord are you? You clearly know nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

drumswan wrote: »
    As high as the market rate?

You aren't a landlord are you? You clearly know nothing about it.

I think he's trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement