Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's post keeps coming to apartment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

athtrasna wrote: »
    Write "no longer lives at this address " on the post and drop it into a post box. The landlord has had ample time to redirect it.

+1
    I put up with it myself for the first couple of months and would drop off the post with the agency.
    Now I just chuck it back in the post box. It's been over a year. It's not my problem any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

drumswan wrote: »
    As high as the market rate?

You aren't a landlord are you? You clearly know nothing about it.

If you're on a part 4 and haven't had a rent review in over 14 months, then you're paying below market rate in Dublin city centre, rents have rocketed in the past year.

So yes you can have a rent review and you can set the rate at the highest the market will bear, if the tenants want to stay on then they'll have to pay the new rent.

Rents in Dublin have risen roughly 10 percent from Q1 2013- Q1 2014 and that's not counting the rises to the year so far, so if you rented a property in Q1 2013 for 1300 a month, and slipped into a part 4 because the landlord didn't renew the lease.

He's automatically entitled to raise it by 130 a month and that's not counting 7 months so far into this year.

You could of course give him his post and avoid paying possibly an extra 200 a month, seems easy doesn't it?

Oh and for people interested, there's still plenty of room upwards in rent if you compare 2007 to 2014

http://www.prtb.ie/docs/default-source/rent-index/prtb-quarter-1-2014-report-final-10th-june-2014.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭My Makeup Perspective

The Spider wrote: »
    If you're on a part 4 and haven't had a rent review in over 14 months, then you're paying below market rate in Dublin city centre, rents have rocketed in the past year.

So yes you can have a rent review and you can set the rate at the highest the market will bear, if the tenants want to stay on then they'll have to pay the new rent.

Rents in Dublin have risen roughly 10 percent from Q1 2013- Q1 2014 and that's not counting the rises to the year so far, so if you rented a property in Q1 2013 for 1300 a month, and slipped into a part 4 because the landlord didn't renew the lease.

He's automatically entitled to raise it by 130 a month and that's not counting 7 months so far into this year.

You could of course give him his post and avoid paying possibly an extra 200 a month, seems easy doesn't it?

Oh and for people interested, there's still plenty of room upwards in rent if you compare 2007 to 2014

http://www.prtb.ie/docs/default-source/rent-index/prtb-quarter-1-2014-report-final-10th-june-2014.pdf?sfvrsn=2

If you read my OP you'd have seen that I am a mere 6 weeks into my lease...

If you read my OP you'd have seen that I am a mere 6 weeks into my lease...

Ah, well that gives you ten plus months then.

Ah, well that gives you ten plus months then.

Exactly! I don't plan on staying here any longer than that so it works out perfectly!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Or feck it in the bin and say nothing to him....thats what i'd do and IF the landlord raised the rent out of spite then i'd be onto him day and night complaining about things for the whole year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

chopper6 wrote: »
    Bin the mail,unopened.

You're not a post restante service for the landlord..as far as you're concerned it's Junk Mail.

Confucius he say to LLs and tenants, Don't Be A Kunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

It amazes me how incensed some people get over something so small. I wish my life was so simple that something like this pissed me off.

OP, be nice, and just re-direct to the agent. It doesn't cost you a penny and you can throw it into a nearby post box as you are passing, or chuck it into the post bag at work. That really cant be any hassle, can it? Though I agree it is not reasonable to expect you to bring it to the agent on receipt.

Put it this way, if you need something fixed asap, don't you want the LL to remember you as the trouble free tenant to kindly passed on his post?

[QUOTE=Arbiter of Good Taste;91113336

Put it this way, if you need something fixed asap, don't you want the LL to remember you as the trouble free tenant to kindly passed on his post?[/QUOTE]

That's the sort of veiled threat we read only too many times in these threads.

"Keep your head below the parapat or you'll get nothing fixed,have your rent increased or you will be thrown out".

Disgracefull...there needs to be legislation to put landlords like that out of business quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What is this bull****. The landlord should be charging market rates for rent at all times, he is operating a business, every tenant expects this. Charging market rates for rent is not some kind of threat.

You should stop posting as you are continually making a fool of yourself. You are not a landlord so your nonsensical ramblings are irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

"Keep your head below the parapat or you'll get nothing fixed,have your rent increased or you will be thrown out".

Disgracefull...there needs to be legislation to put landlords like that out of business quickly.

Please do not put words into my mouth. You have a nasty chip on your shoulder and have no sense of reason when it comes to landlords.

The point I'm making is that it's nice to be nice. Quid pro quo. Whatever way you want to look at it. If it means the LL going out of their way to return the compliment, then what's the harm?

Please do not put words into my mouth. You have a nasty chip on your shoulder and have no sense of reason when it comes to landlords.

The point I'm making is that it's nice to be nice. Quid pro quo. Whatever way you want to look at it. If it means the LL going out of their way to return the compliment, then what's the harm?
    A quick note or courtesy call to the landlord informing him that you are receiving his post and that he needs to pay for a redirection is all that is required here.

It's not a compliment...the LL is being paid(very well) to provide a service..it's not a discretionary measure for him to fix stuff thats wrong with a property he's renting out!

Lol, I missed that, pay a landlord 12 grand a year and expect him to do you the 'favour' of providing the service you pay for.

What do people be thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Wow. You're just looking for things to be angry about. That's not a veiled threat. Just something that will lead to a harmonious relationship.

And in a harmonious relationship, where the tenant is nice, the LL is likely to be nice in return. And do more than the absolute minimum required under the relevant legislation. With your approach to the tenant / LL relationship, I am sure that the LL doesn't see why he should do more than the absolute minimum.

Harmonious relationship now is it? Do you stay up at night worrying if you have a harmonious relationship with your cable tv provider?

I expect the exactly the minimum required by law from my landlord and that is exactly what he provides as he is a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Harmonious relationship now is it? Do you stay up at night worrying if you have a harmonious relationship with your cable tv provider?

I expect the exactly the minimum required by law from my landlord and that is exactly what he provides as he is a professional.

What exactly is the exact minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I wouldn't get het up about it as people are here at all. Ask the estate agent for a few stamped envelopes and you will pop them into a post box once a month or something.

What exactly is the exact minimum?

Collecting the rent seems to be about the size of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

The Landlord doesn't live there . Just return to sender

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get het up about it as people are here at all. Ask the estate agent for a few stamped envelopes and you will pop them into a post box once a month or something.

That's a great idea! I'll need to ask for quite a few envelopes however as they were not willing for me to give them the post once a month, they wanted the letters as and when I receive them!

• Provide a a Building Energy Rating (BER) for the property
    • Register the tenancy with the PRTB
    • Provide your tenant with a rent book or statement of rent paid
    • Make sure that the property meets certain minimum standards
    • Repair and maintain the interior of the property to the standard it was in at the start of the tenancy
    • Repair and maintain the structure of the property
    • Reimburse tenants for any repairs they carry out which are your responsibility
    • Insure the property (if it is impossible to get insurance, or if the cost is unreasonable, this obligation doesn’t apply)
    • Provide the tenant with information about any agents who are authorised to deal on your behalf (such as management companies, agencies, personal representatives)
    • Ensure the tenant knows how to contact you (or your agent)
    • Give tenants 28 days notice of a rent review
    • Provide tenants with a valid notice of termination (in writing) if terminating the tenancy. Read more information on termination here.
    • Return deposits to the tenants (unless they have not paid the rent or have damaged the dwelling)

This needs to be a sticky i think.

This needs to be a sticky i think.

As long as the tenants obligations, which seem equally bewildering to some, go up beside it.

Funny enough I don't see 'manage your cowboy landlords post' on there

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html#l3236b

Collecting the rent seems to be about the size of it.

Geez....some people just dont want to be nice. There is the chip on your shoulder showing through again. If you are nice to your LL you might find that he keeops the property in better shape than meeting the 'minimum standards' required by law

I'm nice to my tenants. Got them a new hoover the other day. They're pro-active in letting me know of things going on in the estate, keeping my post and stuff like that.

Im a tenant too. I got a new mattress from my LL as mine was not as comfy as I would like. And I got new curtains as they were kind of ugly. You think the LL would do that if you binned his post or otherwise were obstructive? No, he'd tell you to lump it. But being nice I have found leads to a better relationship and a LL doing more than giving you the minimum quality service as he can get away with

As long as the tenants obligations, which seem equally bewildering to some, go up beside it.

Quite. This forum is full of tenants that dont do these. That won't let a LL in to inspect the property. And sublet without telling him

Pay your rent on time
    Keep the property in good order
    Inform the landlord if repairs are needed and give the landlord access to the property to carry out repairs
    Give the landlord access (by appointment) for routine inspections
    Inform the landlord of who is living in the property
    Avoid causing damage or nuisance

What is this bull****. The landlord should be charging market rates for rent at all times, he is operating a business, every tenant expects this. Charging market rates for rent is not some kind of threat.

You should stop posting as you are continually making a fool of yourself. You are not a landlord so your nonsensical ramblings are irrelevant.

Ah, you're kinda funny, really. Seriously we've let tenants stay on at 100 a month less than we could've got, because they were no trouble, when they moved we put the rent up, no problem getting it either.

There are plenty of tenants out there on 2010, 2011 rents because the landlord didn't come knocking about a new lease, part 4 remember?

Landlords in general will leave it off if the rents being paid and the place is kept in good order, I know when I rented they did and I know we have, hey maybe it's just me and I was the single lucky tenant in Dublin that didn't have a rent review in 6 years.

Plenty of people out there not rocking the boat and paying less than they should be, believe me.

Plenty of people out there not rocking the boat and paying less than they should be, believe me.
    Nobody believes a word you are saying, you are a spoofer who has zero understanding of tenancy law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think the main issue in this case is the LL expecting the post to be passed on every week. Most of us are willing to give a little to get a little, I certainly wouldn't have any problem holding on to the odd piece of mail and having it collected every now and then. However, an expectation that I was to be a weekly forwarding/holding service for the post is very different.

I also don't think An Post will tolerate redirecting them without a fee for a prolonged period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ah, you're kinda funny, really. Seriously we've let tenants stay on at 100 a month less than we could've got, because they were no trouble, when they moved we put the rent up, no problem getting it either.

There are plenty of tenants out there on 2010, 2011 rents because the landlord didn't come knocking about a new lease, part 4 remember?

Landlords in general will leave it off if the rents being paid and the place is kept in good order, I know when I rented they did and I know we have, hey maybe it's just me and I was the single lucky tenant in Dublin that didn't have a rent review in 6 years.

I dont know any....

I do know that our LL was do money hungry that she attempted an illegal eviction mid lease in order to rent to someone else at a higher price. Bad news for her we know the law. Best thing she ever did was beset our private dwelling and my workplace. People allow themselves to go a bit mad in the head when it comes to money - and do stupid things...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement