Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Another FPS game I really enjoyed on the PSX that's not overly well known .

Exhumed (or PowerSlave in the US)

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think you must mean 133mhz :)

That could have been the case actually,tried to look it up but with gateway disappearing years ago theres not much info on there line from around that time:(

EoinHef wrote: »
    That could have been the case actually,tried to look it up but with gateway disappearing years ago theres not much info on there line from around that time:(

A 933mhz would be a high-end Pentium 3 from the Quake 3/Unreal Tournament era, definitely a long way after Indy Car Racer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,942 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was decent, the Saturn version however is great and a real technical miracle on the system. Both kind of play like a proto metroid Prime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,942 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lemlin wrote: »
    Not sure how it sold but I thought G-Police was a cracking game that is rarely mentioned as a Playstation classic.

Sold really well, loads of hype about it and great reviews. It has been relatively forgotten lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sold really well, loads of hype about it and great reviews. It has been relatively forgotten lately.

Cracking game at the time. I'd imagine it looks dreadful now though.

Part of the reason I don't bother with old games, bar timeless classics like Mario or Zelda, is to preserve the memory of what they were.

Most live up, a classic will always be a classic but the PS1 and N64 early years are rife with games that suffer from dodgy framerate that really affect the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

1.jpg

Very underrated game at the time, pity they never made a sequal

Duke Nukem Time To Kill. One of my favourite ps1 games, definitely underrated. Really good campaign which was backed up with a really fun multiplayer mode that I spent many an hour playing with mates.

Always thought it was a poor substitute for duke 3d on console.

• Advertisement

Always thought it was a poor substitute for duke 3d on console.

Don't think it was ever intended as a substitute, it was a completely different game to duke nukem 3d. Zero hour on the n64 wasn't bad either but not as good as ttk imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was decent, the Saturn version however is great and a real technical miracle on the system. Both kind of play like a proto metroid Prime.

Exhumed + Quake = DEATHTANK, DEATHTANK, DEAAAATHTAAAAANK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

da gamer wrote: »
    Duke Nukem Time To Kill. One of my favourite ps1 games, definitely underrated. Really good campaign which was backed up with a really fun multiplayer mode that I spent many an hour playing with mates.

Such a bad game mate, and only one of a host of games in the franchise that just weren't as good as Duke 3D and paled before even the mission packs released for small money on the PC version of the game as well.
    Happily they are all included in the updated Duke 3D downloadable for current consoles.

Best local 2 player game

Return Fire on the 3DO

End of.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Such a bad game mate, and only one of a host of games in the franchise that just weren't as good as Duke 3D and paled before even the mission packs released for small money on the PC version of the game as well.
    Happily they are all included in the updated Duke 3D downloadable for current consoles.

No doubt that it was nowhere near as good as duke nukem 3d but don't see how it was such a bad game as you say. It was simple mindless fun, with a good campaign and like I said earlier, a really fun multiplayer. The rpg and jetpack made for some great moments. Everyone has different tastes I suppose.

No doubt that it was nowhere near as good as duke nukem 3d but don't see how it was such a bad game as you say. It was simple mindless fun, with a good campaign and like I said earlier, a really fun multiplayer. The rpg and jetpack made for some great moments. Everyone has different tastes I suppose.

And that's the whole point!
    And its why I'll always love Fire Warrior on the PS2!

In a time before the PS1 had any decent third or first person shooters it was a bland fill in. Now Time to Kill is just kind of crap, one of those early PS1 games that really hasn't aged well.

In a time before the PS1 had any decent third or first person shooters it was a bland fill in. Now Time to Kill is just kind of crap, one of those early PS1 games that really hasn't aged well.

It was released in 1999, there was an abundance of excellent third person and first person shooters by that time

It was released in 1999, there was an abundance of excellent third person and first person shooters by that time

No there really weren't. There were a few poor PC ports that were acceptable but the rest was rubbish like Disruptor, Alien Trilogy, Lone Soldier or Apocalypse. The PS1 only got a great FPS with Medal of Honor and like Goldeneye that game has not aged well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Exhumed + Quake = DEATHTANK, DEATHTANK, DEAAAATHTAAAAANK!

Death Tank was also on the Saturn version of Duke 3D which was ported by Lobotomy. Great to see that a 360 version of Death Tank was released(bit pricey at €15 though), fantastic local mp game.

• Advertisement

No there really weren't. There were a few poor PC ports that were acceptable but the rest was rubbish like Disruptor, Alien Trilogy, Lone Soldier or Apocalypse. The PS1 only got a great FPS with Medal of Honor and like Goldeneye that game has not aged well at all.

Ah stop. Your either being very selective or didn't play many ps1 games at the time. You have mentioned crap games like lone soldier there yet for some reason omitted the likes of metal gear solid, tomb raider, tenchu and so on and so on. By 1999 there was a huge selection of great games for the ps1, not just 'poor pc ports'.

Death Tank was also on the Saturn version of Duke 3D which was ported by Lobotomy. Great to see that a 360 version of Death Tank was released(bit pricey at €15 though), fantastic local mp game.

Once you combined 2 of their games you're off to local multiplayer bliss.
    It is a conversion of an old game which I first played on a PS2, that's an IBM PS/2 vintage computer fans, at that time it was called Scourge.
    Long before Team17 cloned it with Worms.

I think you're being a tad harsh their Retr0.
    Alien Resurrection is just one superior PS fps I can think of.
    I'm sure a quick trawl of my own collection will yield a few more examples.

I thought Time To Kill was a pretty solid game, great multiplayer as well, played a lot of it.

Medal of Honor was a brilliant game and it was released in 1999 - don't get the obsession with how these games have aged, doesn't take away from that fact.

A games suddenly not good because retrospectively 16 years later it's not playable to a new audience? Bizarre and illogical yardstick to be fair.

Alien Trilogy was also an excellent game. Resurrection was good too but I think that was 2000 or 2001.

Quake 2 was a really good port in 1999 as well. I was surprised by what they achieved. 4 player splitscreen in an FPS on the PSX is remarkable.

Also: Delta Force Urban Warfare. Think it came out far too late into the PS1's life cycle to be popular, but it was a pretty good game and definitely under-rated I think. I remember thinking it was going to be rubbish, and being really surprised. Not sure if there are any other modern military FPS on the PSX.

Quake on the Saturn was one of the most impressive ports I've ever seen.
    A console that wasn't supposed to do 3D, plays a simply brilliant version of the game.
    It fairly trounces very first person shooter on the N64 and Playstation.

A console that wasn't supposed to do 3D, plays a simply brilliant version of the game.

Quake 64 was a great port and top game to boot. Fps games were so frantic and fast paced back then with the likes of quake, doom and duke nukem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Indeed, especially how it had all the levels and geometry unlike the N64 version, even if they were all scaled to ⅔ their size on PC.

Lobotomy could work wonders with the Saturn considering that Quake was deemed impossible to port to the PS1 and the Saturn at the time.

Ah stop. Your either being very selective or didn't play many ps1 games at the time. You have mentioned crap games like lone soldier there yet for some reason omitted the likes of metal gear solid, tomb raider, tenchu and so on and so on. By 1999 there was a huge selection of great games for the ps1, not just 'poor pc ports'.

Read my post again you are putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about all PS1 games just third and first person shooters and the three games you mention so happen to be great to brilliant in my book.
    I think you're being a tad harsh their Retr0.
    Alien Resurrection is just one superior PS fps I can think of.
    I'm sure a quick trawl of my own collection will yield a few more examples.

Alien Ressurection is superb but it was also a very late PS1 game, well after Medal of Honor.
    Medal of Honor was a brilliant game and it was released in 1999 - don't get the obsession with how these games have aged, doesn't take away from that fact.

A games suddenly not good because retrospectively 16 years later it's not playable to a new audience? Bizarre and illogical yardstick to be fair.

Alien Trilogy was also an excellent game. Resurrection was good too but I think that was 2000 or 2001.

Quake 2 was a really good port in 1999 as well. I was surprised by what they achieved. 4 player splitscreen in an FPS on the PSX is remarkable

you should play MoH now. Frame rate in the 20 fps area, even worse for the PAL version, some very dodgy level design in places and bugs, lots of texture warping and fogging that won't let you see 20 feet in front of you. I'd say it has aged a bit better than goldeneye, the AI is still superb fun, but time has not been kind.

Alien Trilogy I liked when I first played it but went back to it in 2000 at the end of the PA1s like when I got it cheap. It's a really poor game. The 3D engine is more like Wolfensteins than dooms, level design is boring and enemy sprite work is atrocious. It's very poor. Resurrection is so much better.

Agree with Quake 2 though, really solid port even if they nearly completely changed the levels just to make it work on PS1. Framerate was solid enough around 30 fps and the programmers used a trick that almost entirely eliminated texture warping that made PS1 fps games like MoH look awful. Just some awesome programming going on there. 4 player was great craic even if the game didn't render some rockets when it got a bit hectic. Had a lot of fun destroying my mates since they refused to use a dual shock, Quake 2 had the same control scheme on PS1 (as did MoH) that Halo now gets credited with creating.

In a time before the PS1 had any decent third or first person shooters it was a bland fill in.

I dont know how I put words in your mouth...

• Advertisement

I tried to play MoH recently and it was terrible, the controls, the in game visuals were awful.
    The presentation, the menus, the music, fantastic, but the game has dated so badly.
    Alien Resurrection, to mention it again, was on the same system and was so much better.
    Just to mention though that the Doom and Final Doom games on the PS were superb ports.
    And the other games with the Doom engine, Hexen for example, were pretty good on the consoles it was ported to, I think I have the PS version, but it too made it's way to the Saturn and N64.

Advertisement