Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Is it all getting a bit boring and turning into rugby league, crash out 6 or 7 phases and 'build a platform' run it til tackled but don't chance too many switches loops or dummies, then 6 more phases and 'build a platform'?
    Or am I missing something.
    No it pretty much seems like that.
    The Jason Robinson/Shane Williams types players have all but dissappeared from the game.
    Only rule changes can reverse the trend towards bigger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

No it pretty much seems like that.
    The Jason Robinson/Shane Williams types players have all but dissappeared from the game.
    Only rule changes can reverse the trend towards bigger players.

I think it's more a case that defences have become better and more organised, technique has improved and players are more disciplined, staying position, playing space instead of playing the man etc.

Yeah, the days of a blindside trampling a 5'9 outside centre are gone, but you don't see brainless props charging out of position dead set on dump tackling someone or wingers trying to tackle by standing completely upright, turning their head away and falling towards the attacker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I think it's more a case that defences have become better and more organised, technique has improved and players are more disciplined, staying position, playing space instead of playing the man etc.

Yeah, the days of a blindside trampling a 5'9 outside centre are gone, but you don't see brainless props charging out of position dead set on dump tackling someone or wingers trying to tackle by standing completely upright, turning their head away and falling towards the attacker
    You are correct, both trends have occurred at the same time. Defences are extremely well organised and the players are much bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Andy Goode signs for London Irish!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31487860

Just going to cover I presume but he's still doing the business for Wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Not sure it deserves its own thread but a disaster has occurred this morning. George has decided not to retire after all.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/hook-cancels-retirement-plans-662176.html

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

DGRulz wrote: »
    Not sure it deserves its own thread but a disaster has occurred this morning. George has decided not to retire after all.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/hook-cancels-retirement-plans-662176.html

no...

he was on Ivan Yates this morning and clarified it.

hes finishing TV work after the 6 nations

hes finishing his journo work in october

and hes finishing his radio work the following october.

hes says hes "not retiring" because he doesnt want to, he still wants to do work whether thats 'building houses in haiti' or whatever.... thats what he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Huh. Grand so. Thanks for clarifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Leave poor George alone ye ageist bullies ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cipriani extends his Sale contract. Have to say, there was a chance of him doing a Henson for a while, but I think he's in a great place now. At the moment he's still clearly behind Ford but I hope Farrell doesn't just walk back into the team.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31518885

Michele Campagnaro: Italy centre to join Exeter Chiefs

• Advertisement

****e

Whatever about us losing players to England & France, Italy really can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

sydthebeat wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/31518885

Michele Campagnaro: Italy centre to join Exeter Chiefs

That's a great signing for Exeter but it's disappointing to see Treviso and the Pro 12 losing a really good player.

Clearlier wrote: »
    That's a great signing for Exeter but it's disappointing to see Treviso and the Pro 12 losing a really good player.

the vacuum of players going from the premiership to the pro 12 is startling to be honest. just goes to show theres no attraction, financial or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

****e

Whatever about us losing players to England & France, Italy really can't.

I wonder how many players Treviso have lost to the AP now between this season and last?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wonder how many players Treviso have lost to the AP now between this season and last?

According to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014%E2%80%9315_Pro12_transfers#Benetton_Treviso

Treviso lost 7 to the AP and 1 to the Pro12.
    Zebre lost none

From here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2015%E2%80%9316_Pro12_transfers#Benetton_Treviso

Treviso are losing 1 to the AP and 1 to the Pro12
    Zebre are losing 1 to the Pro12

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    According to
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014%E2%80%9315_Pro12_transfers#Benetton_Treviso

Treviso lost 7 to the AP and 1 to the Pro12.
    Zebre lost none

From here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2015%E2%80%9316_Pro12_transfers#Benetton_Treviso

Treviso are losing 1 to the AP and 1 to the Pro12
    Zebre are losing 1 to the Pro12

One side losing 7 players to a single (non-domestic) league is pretty damn huge no? I know why it happened, but it's still a bit mad. Good bit of business from Exeter though.

Its good the Italian national side though

Its good the Italian national side though

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why?

The standard of squad mates and coaching.

Not sure it's better in the long term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No easy games in the Premiership so it's a good move for Campagnaro. It's a bad sign for the Italian teams though, they are losing their star names. You have to wonder where they go from here if they continue to struggle to develop and retain players while making little impact in their competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I wonder does GT go to bed with his shades on his head?
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/england-a-worthy-rival-but-ireland-can-prevail-says-les-kiss-313356.html
    man in the mirror (oh yeah)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I wonder does GT go to bed with his shades on his head?
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/england-a-worthy-rival-but-ireland-can-prevail-says-les-kiss-313356.html
    man in the mirror (oh yeah)

Gerry doesn't sleep, he stays up all night drinking whiskey and thinking up comparisons to Victorian era military engagements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I think there is some sort of thread for discussing Irish exiles but for the life of me I can't find it.

Anyway, just remembering Danny Barnes there. I think he is in the second year of a two year contract with the Falcons and I believe his appearances have been fairly limited. No word of a contract extension in February and quickly heading into March. Anyone been following him over there? Where could he go from here?

A pity he never kicked on, he had a decent game or two a few years ago and I thought his ceiling was higher.

Why?

Arguably for the same reason that Hanrahan moving helps the Irish national side.

It opens up space for another Italian to get exposed to pro12 level. Campagnaro gets exposed to a possibly higher level of training and coaching; gets more gametime against better opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Gerry doesn't sleep, he stays up all night drinking whiskey and thinking up comparisons to Victorian era military engagements

That is "assuredly" the case. its a wonder he is never "hors de combat" after all night whiskey swigin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good to see Conor Gilsenan getting another start for LI tomorrow against a strong Leicester pack. He didn't come out of the blocks flying but has grown steadily over there and will be making his 9th start of the season tomorrow. Not bad for a 22 year old away from home.

There's definitely a place for him in Irish rugby. With Chris Henry turning 31 this year, I think it might be in Ulster but hopefully someone does look at him at the end of next season when his contract is up.

Good to see Conor Gilsenan getting another start for LI tomorrow against a strong Leicester pack. He didn't come out of the blocks flying but has grown steadily over there and will be making his 9th start of the season tomorrow. Not bad for a 22 year old away from home.

There's definitely a place for him in Irish rugby. With Chris Henry turning 31 this year, I think it might be in Ulster but hopefully someone does look at him at the end of next season when his contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any chance of Griffin or Sheridan becoming available in the summer?

Any chance of Griffin or Sheridan becoming available in the summer?

Sheridan is available this summer. I haven't heard of a new contract being signed yet. There were rumours of Munster approaching him. He hasn't been as prevalent this season as he was last but he now has got a run of games under his belt and seems to be finding form.

Griffin joined on a 2 year deal so has another season to run and has done well since injuries blighted his start to the season. He's out again currently but appears to be rated there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Buer wrote: »
    Sheridan is available this summer. I haven't heard of a new contract being signed yet. There were rumours of Munster approaching him. He hasn't been as prevalent this season as he was last but he now has got a run of games under his belt and seems to be finding form.

Griffin joined on a 2 year deal so has another season to run and has done well since injuries blighted his start to the season. He's out again currently but appears to be rated there.

Griffin has been injured a lot but is on the bench tomorrow v Tigers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement