Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Anyone know what time Hartley's hearing is due to start/end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Started at 2. No idea how long they go on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They're currently reading his disciplinary history, should be finished sometime tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Cheers. Should be an open and shut case but considering Hartley's form in this area and his status as England captain I reckon we might not get a verdict til well after 6.

Expecting 5 weeks, hoping for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Anyone who listens to anything out of Woodwards mouth needs to stop. He's the most biased, jingoistic pundit on the circuit at the minute. After bringing 20 Englishmen on the 2005 lions tour after England came 3rd and then 4th in the 04/05 6N's, nobody need question is integrity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Lake1989 wrote: »
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/downright-pathetic-comments-from-clive-woodward-on-dylan-hartley/106228

Clive Woodward thinks Hartley marginally over stepped the mark and he was trying to tackle SOB because his arm was out.
    Its ludicrous, even if SOB had stayed standing then it was a swinging no-tackle arm to his lower back. Still dangerous.

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Its ludicrous, even if SOB had stayed standing then it was a swinging no-tackle arm to his lower back. Still dangerous.

the way hartley swung, he would have connected on SOBs upper back and gone upwards. Hartley literally put his entire body weight into that shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

'Under World Rugby's Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 10.4 (a), Striking a player with a hand, arm or fist carries the following sanction entry points - Low End: 2 weeks; Mid-Range: 5 weeks; Top End: 8 to 52 weeks.'

Ah 8-52 weeks. I thought it was 8 weeks. It's not likely to be viewed as a top end offence so it's likely to be 5 weeks. To be fair he hit SOB's head because SOB was tackled. It's a sh1t defence to say ye only meant to clobber SOB in the body rather than the head but I expect it to be a mitigating circumstance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ah 8-52 weeks. I thought it was 8 weeks. It's not likely to be viewed as a top end offence so it's likely to be 5 weeks. To be fair he hit SOB's head because SOB was tackled. It's a sh1t defence to say ye only meant to clobber SOB in the body rather than the head but I expect it to be a mitigating circumstance.

High end usually means closed fist

High end usually means closed fist

Nick Williams got 8 weeks for a swinging arm offence a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lake1989 wrote:
    Nick Williams got 8 weeks for a swinging arm offence a few years ago.

Low end of the high bracket. That could happen. With a few extra weeks tacked on for repeated offences. Anywhere between 5 and 12 weeks.

It's all guess work but it will be fascinating to see how it actually works out.

Hartley's a thug on the pitch which is actually a great quality in a captain, as long as he stays on the pitch. He takes it too far though. There has to be more consideration of safety so I hope he gets a decent ban.

My prediction is 8 weeks. I hope he gets slightly more (10-12 weeks) but I think it will moat likely be enough to keep him out of the first 6 nations game. They will surely take the 6n into account when they decide a penalty.

Anything less than a penalty that keeps him out of 6n will really only punish Northampton as it seems Hartley isnt really interested in playing for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Started at 2. No idea how long they go on for.

Depends on the case, they can go on for hours on certain occasions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Depends on the case, they can go on for hours on certain occasions.

Didn't SOBs in the WC go on for ages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No game against All Blacks????

The Rugby Football Union has announced games against Argentina on November 11, Australia seven days later, and then Samoa on November 25.

England beat Australia four times this year, including a 3-0 Test series whitewash Down Under.

Both Australia and Argentina were on this season's autumn schedule, when England extended their winning run to 14 Tests.

England head coach Eddie Jones said: "These block of matches are an important step in our preparations for the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan, and we look forward to playing in the 2017 series against three tough opponents in Argentina, Australia and Samoa."

England Women, meanwhile, face three Tests against Canada next autumn, finishing the series at Twickenham on November 25 after the Samoa match has finished.

Suggestions Hartley has gotten three weeks.

Suggestions Hartley has gotten three weeks.

Funnily enough, I predicted that's what he would get though deserving of much more.

Much like with SOB during the World Cup, i'd wait until it's confirmed before pulling out the pitchforks.

Funnily enough, I predicted that's what he would get though deserving of much more.

Much like with SOB during the World Cup, i'd wait until it's confirmed before pulling out the pitchforks.

I just read it on Planet Rugby, could well be not true.

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/809062826849501184

Bah humbug world rugby are sore losers, game has gone soft etc. etc.

Great for them to have more new rules to not enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Lake1989 wrote: »

Yeah :rolleyes:

"TMO, in your opinion did the player know or should have known..?"

"You're not sure, you think it might have been accidental"

"Red 6, it's a penalty only, we can't be sure you knew or should have known that your tackle around the shoulders would end up slipping above the shoulders"

We are just risking more fuzziness imo.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »

"Red 6, it's a penalty only, we can't be sure you knew or should have known that your tackle around the shoulders would end up slipping above the shoulders"

It's not risking anything. Players need to stop tackling at head height.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

England are to host Australia, Samoa and Argentina in their autumn internationals next year. So, if they do the Grand Slam and break the NZ record of 19 wins in a row, odds are that they'll go on to add 5 more to that (they tour a weakened Argentina in June) and put up an insurmountable record of 24 wins on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

swiwi_ wrote: »

I think it helps if you look at it the other way. i.e. The tackle ends up around the neck or head and it didn't start at the navel.

Buer wrote: »
    England are to host Australia, Samoa and Argentina in their autumn internationals next year. So, if they do the Grand Slam and break the NZ record of 19 wins in a row, odds are that they'll go on to add 5 more to that (they tour a weakened Argentina in June) and put up an insurmountable record of 24 wins on the trot.

The record is 24 at the moment! Let's not forget

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

They'll be getting anxious in Nicosia with this news

6 weeks for Hartley.

So around what we were expecting really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

6 weeks for Hartley.

If he behaved on the street the way he behaves on the pitch, this time it would six months.

6 weeks for Hartley.

Think he is a little lucky with 6 weeks but its a serious enough ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

6 weeks for Hartley.

Looks like it was considered a mid-range offence and a bit above entry level. Possibly an extra week added for previous.

Edit: looks like I was right... ish :)
    In upholding the red card decision, the Committee found that the offence was at the mid-range of World Rugby's sanctions and selected five weeks as the appropriate entry point.

Taking into account Hartley's poor disciplinary record, the Committee added two weeks to the sanction and then reduced the sanction by one week due to the player's guilty plea before imposing a suspension of six weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement