Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Yeah, any club that suggests sacking a player for that gesture needs to spend some serious time in the real world

I reckon they are probably making the right noises ahead of the hearing in an effort to get as minimal a ban as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, any club that suggests sacking a player for that gesture needs to spend some serious time in the real world

He represents the club/company, if they didn't want him on their books it would be an easy out for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

.ak wrote: »
    He represents the club/company, if they didn't want him on their books it would be an easy out for them.

Well, I'd say no, it would be victimisation and any solicitor worth his salt could crucify them .

Besides....ask the referee under oath if he masturbates.... He says no, he's done for perjury...he says yes...player is proven correct .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dismissal?! For that?! Look he shouldn't have done it but talk of dismissal is crazy.

Well, I'd say no, it would be victimisation and any solicitor worth his salt could crucify them .

Besides....ask the referee under oath if he masturbates.... He says no, he's done for perjury...he says yes...player is proven correct .

That's not how this works at all. At all.

I guarantee he has a clause in his contract not to bring the club into disrepute. This would fall under that. I've seen people let go from jobs for less.
    Dismissal?! For that?! Look he shouldn't have done it but talk of dismissal is crazy.

Well the head coach said it in response to what they were going to do. No one here is suggesting that is a course of action, but the club are clearly either very peeved or they want rid of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well the head coach said it in response to what they were going to do. No one here is suggesting that is a course of action, but the club are clearly either very peeved or they want rid of him.

He's a talented young player right? Unless there's something else going on I don't see why they would get rid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It is but it's a PR move to show that the club is taking this seriously. I would be very very very very surprised if he was dismissed.

Compare it to what the head of the RFU said about Hartley
    “I think Dylan’s got credit in the bank,” Ritchie told BBC Sport.

“I think most people would say it’s been a fantastic year. We’ve had 13 wins out of 13 and Dylan has made a huge contribution and he should be allowed to continue that.

“Obviously it’s disappointing when he gets sent off but we’ll wait and see what happens.

“You view all these things in perspective and in perspective one looks at the totality of what he’s done and what’s happened over the years and I think we should be supportive of that. Ultimately we’ll see what happens – I’m not going to talk about the disciplinary process as you know.

Which looks better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I guarantee he has a clause in his contract not to bring the club into disrepute. This would fall under that. I've seen people let go from jobs for less.

Oh you guarantee it! Ah that's grand so, lads Venjur guaranteed it ...problem solved

I would hazard a guess and say the club are neither peeved, not have any plan to get rid of the player

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Thats exactly what Pivac said. Right at the same time he said it's not what they were doing with James Davies. Click bait article and people fell for it hook, line and sinker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It is but it's a PR move to show that the club is taking this seriously. I would be very very very very surprised if he was dismissed.

Compare it to what the head of the RFU said about Hartley

Which looks better?

Hartley has credit in the bank? Which bank is this, Anglo Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bazzo wrote: »
    Hartley has credit in the bank? Which bank is this, Anglo Irish?

Yes :) He's been a good boy for 15 months

Oh you guarantee it! Ah that's grand so, lads Venjur guaranteed it ...problem solved

I would hazard a guess and say the club are neither peeved, not have any plan to get rid of the player

I never said the club would or should let him go. I pointed out that they said it was an option.

And yes I do guarantee that the player has a section in his contract that deals with termination and disrepute is in that. It would be unheard of for an employment contract not to have that. I do this for a living so I'm not talking through my hoop.

But hey, you cleary know what you are talking about when it comes to the law.

Ah lads if you're going to complain about an article at least read it first:
    Asked about the potential harness of a dismissal, Pivac replied: "I’m not saying that’s what we are doing. I’m saying that is a course of action and the players are well aware of that in their contracts.

"This sort of thing is deemed as being very, very serious and that’s the way we are looking at it."

Thats exactly what Pivac said. Right at the same time he said it's not what they were doing with James Davies. Click bait article and people fell for it hook, line and sinker

When is it not a click bait article these days. There's no way he gets fired, but it's a strong statement to make all the same.

As has been pointed out, polar opposite rhetoric to Ian Ritchie who I'm pretty disgusted with tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As has been pointed out, polar opposite rhetoric to Ian Ritchie who I'm pretty disgusted with tbh.

They're absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

What's the most amount of time a player has spent suspended without being banned from Rugby?

laugh wrote: »
    What's the most amount of time a player has spent suspended without being banned from Rugby?

That time Fez was gouged twice in the same match one of them got banned for 70 odd weeks, highest I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there have been some long ones for drugs.

Bazzo wrote: »
    That time Fez was gouged twice in the same match one of them got banned for 70 odd weeks, highest I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there have been some long ones for drugs.

Chilliboy Ralepelle was banned for two years for steroid usage I believe.

Maybe Clohessy is up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Matt Stevens got 24 months, testing positive for cocaine.

Edit: Wendell Sailor was banned for the same time, again for cocaine, never knew that!

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/rmcelwee/top-ten-rugbys-longest-bans/

^^^^ Great shot of Trevor Brennan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

laugh wrote: »

An Argentine club player got 29 years for kicking an opponent in the head. That's a tough one to beat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

An Argentine club player got 29 years for kicking an opponent in the head. That's a tough one to beat
    That was only this year too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Rte article says it could be 5-8 weeks. 8 weeks would mean he'd miss the France match.

Id say that's the most likely outcome. It's clear that he cares about England more than Northampton and it would be a fair old headache for him.

One commenter said it should be at least a year suspension which is ridiculous.

8 weeks seems a bit soft so I'd be happy with 12 weeks but I don't think that's possible given the specific charge against him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm betting on 6 weeks, let him get a game in for practice before the 6N...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Rte article says it could be 5-8 weeks. 8 weeks would mean he'd miss the France match.

Id say that's the most likely outcome. It's clear that he cares about England more than Northampton and it would be a fair old headache for him.

One commenter said it should be at least a year suspension which is ridiculous.

8 weeks seems a bit soft so I'd be happy with 12 weeks but I don't think that's possible given the specific charge against him.

ECPR press release

World Rugby Law 10.4 (a) Striking:

'Under World Rugby's Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 10.4 (a), Striking a player with a hand, arm or fist carries the following sanction entry points - Low End: 2 weeks; Mid-Range: 5 weeks; Top End: 8 to 52 weeks.'

12 weeks is technically possible I suppose.

Does a six week ban mean six calendar weeks or six matches?

Stheno wrote: »
    Does a six week ban mean six calendar weeks or six matches?

6 weeks in which matches are scheduled to be played

• Subscribers Posts: 41,394 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im going to suggest he gets 4 weeks.

5 week entry, 50% reduction for suit and tweet, 50% of which laid back on for past behaviour.

I'll be surprised if he gets 6-8 weeks tbh, I'd say he'll get 2-4 but hope I'm wrong(not that it matters because bans clearly teach Hartley absolutely nothing).

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/downright-pathetic-comments-from-clive-woodward-on-dylan-hartley/106228

Clive Woodward thinks Hartley marginally over stepped the mark and he was trying to tackle SOB because his arm was out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement