Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Craig Joubert is retiring from refereeing to take up a role with World Rugby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Things really slipping at Glasgow.

https://twitter.com/JLyall93/status/806475907145859072

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So many opportunities for a smart comment....too many options....too confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

That gave me a laugh but seeing this on his timeline was quite interesting. Will be looking forward to hearing Browns side of the story

https://twitter.com/JLyall93/status/806483139061284864

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

b.gud wrote: »
    That gave me a laugh but seeing this on his timeline was quite interesting. Will be looking forward to hearing Browns side of the story

https://twitter.com/JLyall93/status/806483139061284864

Earls really hasn't covered himself in glory there at all. To still come out, in the cold light of day and point fingers at Brown was incredibly wrong.

Brown seemed to tuck his neck in on the way down, but I don't think it was a ploy to make it look worse, I think it was more of a 'shít the bed' moment where he panicked.
    It happened in the NRL a few years back where a player did the same thing and landed on his neck.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Earls really hasn't covered himself in glory there at all. To still come out, in the cold light of day and point fingers at Brown was incredibly wrong.

Brown seemed to tuck his neck in on the way down, but I don't think it was a ploy to make it look worse, I think it was more of a 'shít the bed' moment where he panicked.
    It happened in the NRL a few years back where a player did the same thing and landed on his neck.

Yeah, I saw Earls' comments in one of the papers a few weeks back about it. What struck me though is that he apologised in the immediate aftermath but then goes back on all that and blames Brown again. I know people joke about the citing hearings, nice suit, public apology etc. but it does seem that's how it works.

Yeah, I saw Earls' comments in one of the papers a few weeks back about it. What struck me though is that he apologised in the immediate aftermath but then goes back on all that and blames Brown again. I know people joke about the citing hearings, nice suit, public apology etc. but it does seem that's how it works.

It's been a highly stressful couple of months for a lot of those guys so I'm inclined not to jump on his back. It was a complete error of judgement both in the game and two weeks ago in his rowing back on his own guilt.

The only concern is that it will be held in front of him and most likely against him if he is ever cited again.

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

It's been a highly stressful couple of months for a lot of those guys so I'm inclined not to jump on his back. It was a complete error of judgement both in the game and two weeks ago in his rowing back on his own guilt.

The only concern is that it will be held in front of him and most likely against him if he is ever cited again.

AT the time you can accept his response but 4-5 weeks later in the cold light of day he should have far more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Brown has a right of reply to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

It's been a highly stressful couple of months for a lot of those guys so I'm inclined not to jump on his back.

So how much time would you say needs to pass before this get-out-of-jail-free card expires?
    Serious question.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    So how much time would you say needs to pass before this get-out-of-jail-free card expires?
    Serious question.

Honestly? I think anything to do with the incident is going to be warped in his mind. It was a very tough occasion and he needs to take responsibility for what he did. But given the tragedy of the week I can appreciate if he can't come to terms with his actions and feels the need to divorce himself somewhat from responsibility. I don't know if that will ever change. He made a mistake on the day, it was dangerous but not intentional. Had he not done that interview he would get the benefit of the doubt.

If he got a red this weekend he would get no benefit of the doubt. I'm just saying his actions on the day and since are probably clouded by a lot of emotion, and I'm not holding him to the same standards I would another player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Honestly? I think anything to do with the incident is going to be warped in his mind. It was a very tough occasion and he needs to take responsibility for what he did. But given the tragedy of the week I can appreciate if he can't come to terms with his actions and feels the need to divorce himself somewhat from responsibility. I don't know if that will ever change. He made a mistake on the day, it was dangerous but not intentional. Had he not done that interview he would get the benefit of the doubt.

If he got a red this weekend he would get no benefit of the doubt. I'm just saying his actions on the day and since are probably clouded by a lot of emotion, and I'm not holding him to the same standards I would another player.

Fair enough.
    We'll differ on that though. 4-5 weeks after the offence I would certainly be holding him to the standards of every other player.

Edit: just to clarify, it's the interview in the independent that I'm discussing, not the sending off itself.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38240575

Brown's response to Earls remarks. Think he has it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep he's right there. Even more disappointing to see it was "put to bed" between them and then Earl's drags it back up again.
    As someone has said and as Fraser himself says, the tackle can be excused, the response since definitely can not be.

Not that it's worth anything and it won't make him lose sleep but he's definitely gone down in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Earls has behaved like a 'knob' over this incident from minute one ....... no excuses for me.

Displayed a distinct lack of class.

Few comments from Gatland regarding George North.

“There’s a couple of things I find a bit strange at the moment.” Gatland said.

“One, he passed the HIA, so that’s a little bit confusing.

“There is a little bit of confusion over the process they went through.

“They said they didn’t see the clip. He’s passed an HIA test, so from a coaching point of view you just assume that the process has been followed.

“I absolutely understand it is concerning. He’s had a few knocks in the past and you just want to make sure they go through the right process to make sure if he does play again he is fully fit and recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Earls has behaved like a 'knob' over this incident from minute one ....... no excuses for me.

Displayed a distinct lack of class.

I was disappointed by his reaction on the day, but given the context of it I can forgive that. The recent interview is altogether different though and I can't forgive that. It's not what I want to see from players I support and it sends out a really terrible message to younger fans of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lake1989 wrote: »

They're planning on continuing as a semi-pro club, so they're not "no more"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i think hes an incredibly over rated player who wouldnt be where he is without his massive form

Anyone who watched super rugby (such as yourself syd) knows he's also a thug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Bazzo wrote: »
    Craig Joubert is retiring from refereeing to take up a role with World Rugby.

won't be missed.

his call to hand the waratahs the super 15 against the crusaders was an absolute shocker.

not to mention his performance in the 2011 RWC final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

won't be missed.

his call to hand the waratahs the super 15 against the crusaders was an absolute shocker.

and the call at the end of the scotland australia quarter final last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

won't be missed.

100% correct. He handed NZ a WC they didn't deserve, completely screwed the French team. I'd say that was a far bigger shocker than any super rugby mistake.

Zzippy wrote: »
    100% correct. He handed NZ a WC they didn't deserve, completely screwed the French team. I'd say that was a far bigger shocker than any super rugby mistake.
    On a par with Bryce Lawrence's diabolical refereeing of the OZ/SA QF.

SA robbed that day ..... they'd have knocked NZ out in the SF too had they got there .........

As I mentioned on another thread .... a sad day.

Turned out for them a few times in the 80's myself. Played against them as well.

Far cry from the glory days ... 7 players on the 71 Lions tour ..... 5 in the test team. Some achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Zzippy wrote: »

and didn't send rougerie off for trying to pull mccaws eyes out. a shocker all round.

the super 15 call was glaring in that it was a penalty on the hooter that decided the game. and he got it completely wrong.

and didn't send rougerie off for trying to pull mccaws eyes out. a shocker all round.

the super 15 call was glaring in that it was a penalty on the hooter that decided the game. and he got it completely wrong.

Imagine match officals and citing officers not doing anything about fingers in or near eyes :rolleyes:

owen-franks-fingers-douglas.jpg

Few comments from Gatland regarding George North.

“There’s a couple of things I find a bit strange at the moment.” Gatland said.

“One, he passed the HIA, so that’s a little bit confusing.

“There is a little bit of confusion over the process they went through.

“They said they didn’t see the clip. He’s passed an HIA test, so from a coaching point of view you just assume that the process has been followed.

“I absolutely understand it is concerning. He’s had a few knocks in the past and you just want to make sure they go through the right process to make sure if he does play again he is fully fit and recovered.

Not sure Gatty can say too much about this either way when Wales allowed North back onto the pitch twice after being unconscious twice.

Not sure Gatty can say too much about this either way when Wales allowed North back onto the pitch twice after being unconscious twice.

I think the newer guidelines to ensure there is TV replays available came in as a result of that one though. IIRC Wales didnt have any replays available in the bench area at all

• Advertisement

I think the newer guidelines to ensure there is TV replays available came in as a result of that one though. IIRC Wales didnt have any replays available in the bench area at all

Not arguing a point here or anything but would Gatland, or someone else up in the coaching box not have had access to the replays at the time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement