Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Lake1989 wrote: »
    No aggravating factors? What was Marler doing then to warrant his Yellow card ?

That would be a mitigating factor not an aggravating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Flukey potential try for oz

Edit looks like a knock on

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

George North was apparently knocked out again tonight in the Tigers v Saints game but was allowed to play on after a HIA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lake1989 wrote: »
    George North was apparently knocked out again tonight in the Tigers v Saints game but was allowed to play on after a HIA.

Seriously?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm usually overly cautious on these things, but I kind of buy that he was just worried about his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm usually overly cautious on these things, but I kind of buy that he was just worried about his neck.

He was a bit too quick to get onto twitter and make the point of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He didn't land on his neck, his head bounced off the ground!!!

On the Lake has put up you can see the from the behind angle at about -20 seconds that his head smashes into the ground!

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not sure he's being entirely truthful there, or maybe he's thinks he is. His entire body goes limp the second his head bounces off the surface. Very nasty.

I'm not a fan of the self professed neurologists on the forums at times trying to make decisions for players and medics.

That said I agree with Dog Botherer, it looked awful and he did seem to go limp. You can only take a player at his word however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Mad to think he's still only 24 too. Don't think it'd be unreasonable for him to take a year out to sort his body properly before it ends up costing him his career.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You'd like to think, of all the players at the moment, North would be extremely cautious when it comes to things like this now. If, and it's a massive if, he was unconscious and is now lying about it, well, you'd have to think he, and Northampton, deserve whatever they get.

However, as Venjur says, you can only take a player at his word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

you do have to take the player at his word but equally he didn't land on his neck.

he also went limp after his head whacked the ground the first time, not the second time. he was limp before his body stopped moving from the fall, if that makes sense.

Is there any form of review process for this kind of thing?

Remember against England 2(?) years ago he was unconscious twice on the pitch and was allowed come back on both times. You'd wonder how that was allowed happen, between referees and medical staff, someone should be accountable, you'd think?

I know underage is different but wasn't there a thing during the Leinster schools cup this past year where one of the coaching staff had a fit at the referee because he made a player go off?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CatFromHue wrote: »
    you do have to take the player at his word but equally he didn't land on his neck.

To a degree the whole point of the HIA is to not take a player at his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I haven't seen the incident but would the Northampton medical staff lie about this sort of thing? If it was proved they did could they not be struck off?

If they say he wasn't knocked out then maybe we should take their word for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

You can only take a player at his word however.

No you can't.
    A person that's been hit in the head can't be trusted to make decisions or even to recall events properly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    I haven't seen the incident but would the Northampton medical staff lie about this sort of thing? If it was proved they did could they not be struck off?

Yes they would lose their licenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sure didn't the bloodgate doctor lose her license

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How did the other guy only get a yellow card for it though???

It would depend on how they're watching the match in real time, I suppose. If they're just sitting on the sidelines watching from a distance how can they say if a player was unconscious or not? If he's only out for a few seconds and awake by the time they get across the pitch how can they say he was or wasn't? Going back to the Wales v England game, again, it was clear to anyone watching on TV that he was unconscious twice and yet he was allowed back on twice, and to the best of my knowledge nobody got in trouble for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

So the player is lying, and the docs are lying...or perhaps some people want to see conspiracy's where there are none

Zzippy wrote: »

The ref in conversation with the TJ and TMO said North had jumped at the Tigers player. Watching both the one last night and the 2nd one in the England game a few years ago and his body position ends up the same. He says he was worried bout a neck injury but less then 60 seconds after the incident he was back up on all fours. So either Northamptons medical staff have xray vision or something is very wrong with all of this.

So the player is lying, and the docs are lying...or perhaps some people want to see conspiracy's where there are none

Players who have retired due to repeat concussions have said that they tried to ignore it and at times pushed through it so that they could keep playing and have misled those around them to keep playing.

Medical staff is another issue but players themselves have been known to be casual with certain realities when it comes to concussion. Not the least that taking a hit to the head can innocently confuse you as to what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »

North landed on his side. Had he landed on his head or neck area it would have been a red. It was the correct call.

There's a good quality clip here
    https://www.balls.ie/rugby/george-north-2/353463

He doesn't land on his neck and goes limp as soon as his head smacks the ground so there's plenty to feed this conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There's a good quality clip here
    https://www.balls.ie/rugby/george-north-2/353463

He doesn't land on his neck and goes limp as soon as his head smacks the ground so there's plenty to feed this conspiracy

Thats the first Ive seen of that, certainly looked like he was out immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't believe for a second that he didn't lose consciousness there. The manner in which his head bounces back onto the ground the second time is the movement of someone who has no control whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement