Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Tulips still holding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The last of the daffodils. I actually thought they were all more or less done then these popped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Planted lots of late flowering tulips to bridge the gap between spring and summer plants. These is the last of the tulips hanging on in this heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Perks

Getting great joy from this false shamrock. Pink Wood Sorrel, (Oxalis crassipes ‘Rosea’).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Hi all. I would like to get some advice as to what to plant in front of the wall here. There is a housing estate being built behind the wall and I'd like to plant something that will provide a bit of privacy be it some trees or shrubs. For information: the wall is about 2 meters high and I'd like something to go at least a meter further in height. The front of the house here is west facing so this area will get plenty of sunlight in the summer in the afternoon and evening. I'm looking for coverage between the 2 pillars but would be happy to continue planting further along the wall and to the side of the house if something would grow in the shade there. TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not sure this qualifies as a gardening photo 😁, but first question, what will you do to achieve soil to plant in? If you are thinking planters or pots you will be quite restricted, but can/would you penetrate the concrete/paving to plant in the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭macraignil

Most trees and shrubs prefer to grow in soil. Are you going to take up an area of those paving bricks? If so you will have to allow for the wall foundation which will mean an area close the wall will be occupied below ground by a block of concrete which also will be of little benefit to what you decide to plant. You will need to avoid something that wants to grow too fast to a large size as it could end up causing the wall to crack but something that is not very vigorous may just fail due to the difficult conditions in the ground dominated by paving that would surround whatever are of brick you decide to take out. If you don't mind keeping it trimmed back then Cotoneaster franchetii might be an option and if you would prefer to have something more slow growing then Osmanthus burkwoodii might be a better option.

Happy gardening!

First of my David Austin's to flower.

Rose persica eyes for you also flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I spend my life fighting weeds, but despite them the early summer flowers are coming out. Roses about to bloom and the yellow Geum I planted late last Summer has really done well. The smell from the dwarf lilac is heavenly. I got a bargain with two lilac trees in Lildl in March and planted them at the edge of the little woodland (swamped in buttercup at the moment).

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

My ground-planted irises flowered in the past week too.

The ones I planted in a deep container haven't come out yet, although I planted them a bit tightly with some oriental lillies.

They look kind of interesting as they start to come up. (Variegated weigela in the smaller pot)

Rhodedendron as it flowered about 10 days ago

• Advertisement

So jealous of the rhododendron. I'd love one but not enough room. We have two wegeilas (planted before we bought our house). Great plants, I love the flowers and bees constantly buzzing round them.

Advertisement