Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Same, I planted a load last year and usually only return home every second week.

Great to see life in the garden again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Came across a rather nice Mimosa today, unreal fragrance from the flowers was evident from 30metres away!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's rather spectacular, I didn't realise they could grow that big here.

First time this camellia has flowered, I am delighted with it. Lots more flowers to come. Its in an area that not a lot is willing to grow in so its particularly satisfying to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

That is one healthy Camellia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not what my lovely Pluot tree wanted to see..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some snowy pictures..

Pink Camelia

Gooseberry bush

Peregrine Peach Blossom

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LukeChain

So many gorgeous pics here 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Raised beds in our garden were in urgent need of overhauling. Despite being made of pre-treated timber and a lot (really - A LOT) of other stuff like decking oil etc. applied they all were rotten and started to fall apart. Lasted approx 10 years.

Went online to search more reliable material for rebuild. First idea came to use composite decking, but more googling brought cheaper and IMO easier solution - recycled plastic. Another good thing was it's made locally - there's family run business near Castlebar recycling plastic, so went there, bought what we needed and few days ago we built that:

We built two of them. First one took approx. 4 hours, second one less than 2 hours (experience matters ;-) ). I have 4 more raised beds to replace asap and 3 more probably couple of years later. Will definately use the same material.

I bet these recycled ones would last decades (if not longer) and they're maintenance free.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Looks really nice. I need something like that, would you mind sharing how much it would cost? (you can PM me if you like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I got a price from them a few months ago, only getting around to starting a few projects with the tidy towns.

Unregistered Users

Thank you.

Sorry for late reply, couldn't locate paperwork.

Now, raised bed with dimensions of 2400x400x300 mm (L x W x H) needed 5 boards and 1 square post.

Tongue and groove board 2400x150x22 mm brown - 17.08 + VAT each.

Square grey post 2400x50x50 mm - 12.50 + VAT each.

A box (100) of stainless screws 6x70 - 20.65 + VAT.

We built 2 beds, so total cost (10 boards + 2 posts + box of screws) was 266.23 euro, including VAT, excluding our labour.

Thanks a lot, that's not a bad price at all.

I kinda wish I had gone with recycled plastic for my outdoor furniture instead of the synthetic rattan that is clogging up my shed most of the year.

Unregistered Users

Not bad price indeed. :-)

These guys also build and sell garden furniture in loads of sizes, colours and shapes, taking custom orders as well. These yokes are not cheap, but they're really well made and will last forever.

Quick internet lookup and comparison - 6 person timber picnic table vs plastic one shows plastic one is roughly two times dearer. Knowing from my own experience, spent hundreds of euros for timber treatment stuff, spent an awful lot of time applying it and my picnic table rot to pieces after 12 years despite my efforts. Plastic ones need no treatment whatsoever, will more than likely last 100 or more years. Oh, and all screws and bolts are made of stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

My springtime pots starting to bloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ShadowSA

Taken last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Does anyone else have a rough corner of their garden with a few bits and bobs growing about?

Dan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Despite the crazy weather the spring bulbs did okay this year. I really didn’t expect some of the tulips to come up because the winter had been so wet with the ground saturated for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Any suggestions of plants to fill this area up with? Nothing too tall growing or high maintenance. Sun facing, alkaline, rocky soil. I currently have some lavender and fuscia there. We have young heather plants growing on the bank to the left side of this photo but looking for some variety. My gardening time is unfortunately quite restricted but want to get some more bee friendly growth in.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Rosemary, Lamb's ear plant, thyme, sage, curry plant and Nepeta would be some that I would consider for that sort of area.

Happy gardening!

Cytisus (broom); cystus - both the little rock rose and the larger white one; saponaria - rock soapwart. Sedum; persicaria, though it can be a bit vigorous, you will probably have to cull it occasionally. Hardy geranium.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I finally have all of my tulips in a pot blooming - can you spot the imposter? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

There are some diascia plugs out at the moment for a few euro at most. Appleblossom and pink diascia are very pretty and compact. They flower from Summer through the Autumn (one of mine has a few flowers already). They stay evergreen in Winter and seem fairly hardy, mine seemed completely unharmed by minus seven temps this winter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I adore diascia, esp. the deep red variety. They produce a cascade of flowers that will make you think it's impossible a single plant could produce such an abundance. The shape of the flowers reminds me of nemesia.

Unfortunately my own plant only lasted a year, I'll have to see if I can find seeds or a replacement plant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The garden is starting to look well

Advertisement