Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am attaching this pic of a small border in my garden to show what can be grown in shade. It faces NNW and has the house on the west side so it never gets any sun at all - which is why the pic is a bit dull looking. And yes, I know the concrete path needs a wash!

left to right is Brunnera/Siberian forgetmenot, a fern that is barely visible, three heucheras and a pink flowered climbing hydrangea - it is just coming into flower. At the right hand side a fern with new growth that is copper coloured. They have been in about 18 months, autumn 2021, and seem very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Lidl/Aldi RHododendron 10yrs on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

Wildflower area

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beautiful setting sun, haze over the fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ShadowSA

Recent picture of our garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Wow, makes me so envious of all the space you have. We have a tiny front garden and the back is not much bigger although we do have a bit more than a lot of newer properties. Most newer houses seem to have no front gardens, just parking spaces. You are lucky - great garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I’m moving house later this Summer so I’ve no garden to call home. Everything has been planted into pots ready for the move. So I’ll just have to make do - potted garden it is then.

Those look lovely. What is the purple flower at the top of the second picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

• Advertisement

That's the beautiful plant Thalictrum aquilegiifolium. I think this one is called Thunder Cloud.

Thank you, one to investigate!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant take any credit as I only got the house last month but this rose bush is absolutely bursting with flowers and covered in bees and bumblebees all day, seems to have added bulk every day aswell even with no rain:

Id like to encourage it to take up the whole fence to the left and right as far as the trees, can I take a big cutting off it and start a whole new plant or what would be the best way to do it? Is this the time of year for that kind of project?

It probably won't want to know about growing any closer to the trees on the right, you might be able to persuade a couple of branches to head in that direction with some wires or ties, though the fence looks as though it is about to fall down.

You can take cuttings, roses usually take well from cuttings, but not 'big' cuttings, just normal size ones in pots and look after them for a couple of seasons. I'd suggest to just enjoy it for the moment till you have had time to decide what you are going to do with the garden.

Loads ready to bloom in the back garden at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

I planted two new apple trees from pots today. I noticed some bad trimmings on both.

One tree looks like it has a cancelled trim, as there are cut marks. Plus another unclean cut with a tail left.

Another has a wound where it has been trimmed. I can see the white inside.

Do these branches have any hope ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Things are shooting alright.

Not much colour yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sunflower Velvet Queen

Some plants have taken off. Hope they all survive the move to the new house & garden and don’t get too bashed about in the lorry.

When your plants & flowers mimic the same colour as the late evening sky. Incredible evening light and wish I had a really good camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 LukeChain

Such an inspiring thread, wow

How’s everyone’s garden doing in this change of weather? I’ve moved a lot of pots into sheltered areas, away from the strong winds. Got a bit of sun in the garden today and started to plan a new perennial border. Some plants here are new, while others I split from older plants.

Here is a suggestion for a butterfly and insect magnet - Inula Hookeri (I think its Hookeri, could be one of the others). This came with the garden so is well established, its always covered with insects and butterflies.

This pot of soil that I was keeping behind the shed in a pile of other junk while I looked for something to plant in it decided to put out a carnation by itself:

There are hedgehogs living in the trees at the bottom of the garden but this one comes up to eat any leftovers I leave out on the deck (Excuse the 1990s deckchairs Im waiting for the ones I want to come back into stock in Jysk):

Thanks for that Ill be making a thread soon about a load of overgrown raised seedbeds the previous owners were using for vegetables but I have no interest in that so was hoping to turn them into low maintenance butterfly gardens. Was looking for ideas about what to plant in the autumn (or could I start now with Inula Hookeri?)

You can start now with pretty much anything provided it is potted. Buddleia would be good for butterflies too, you can chop it down to a few inches high in early spring each year and it will grow new branches in time to flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I had a dozen or so butterflies on one of the buddleias this evening.

The only thing cheering me up with the on and off weather is the colour in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

@Thargor . May I ask what you use on your decking boards? looks really good.

• Advertisement

Thanks, just bought the place a couple of months ago so I haven't a clue sorry, some kind of plastic anyway not varnished wood, absolutely lethal slippy when wet!

Advertisement