Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,493 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Had a notion just there of "it would be interesting to get one of those which might have the same issue with the idea to fix it"...and then I saw the price they are going for, MADNESS! :D

Yeah there's not a chance I'd ever have paid ebay prices for a curio like that, I see they're actually selling at around 500 pounds for one that won't read disks!

I paid an almighty 20 pounds for mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah there's not a chance I'd ever have paid ebay prices for a curio like that, I see they're actually selling at around 500 pounds for one that won't read disks!

I paid an almighty 20 pounds for mine :D
    Should you ever want to depart company with it to someone who might have a go fixing :) let me know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

More Vectrex goodness
    A pair of overlays, one for the mighty Vectorblade and the other for YASI (Yet Another Space Invader)
    With the addition of the overlay YASI is essentially an arcade perfect Space Invaders.
    Plus it comes with a great version of Defender called "Protector" as well.
    I have it on the multicart but must get the physical cart.
    539938.jpg

Master of the Universe

So after rewiring 10 consoles to all be good and ready to go with the flip of a switch, my 14 inch PVM was ready for it's new podium - perfect fit!

The wheels are super handy, can roll it out from where it is over to the sofa.

pvm-1.jpg
    pvm-2.jpg

Have the GDEMU Dreamcast and Fenrir Saturn running to it, so mountains of shmups to get through.

PVM-4.jpg
    PVM-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I waited 8 months for this. I'm so happy.

20210120-120558.jpg
    image.png
    image.png

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Wow! I'm not normally into special editions, but that's something else!

The street chicken/turkey really makes it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

qzy8jrq.jpg

This arrived today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry O1s, but all I can see with your PVMs new home is Holly in Red Dwarf: Queeg

red_dwarf_queeg_003.jpg

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sorry O1s, but all I can see with your PVMs new home is Holly in Red Dwarf: Queeg

Haha! In a mad coincidence, I was showing a friend of mine how I'd figured out how to stream content in 4:3 onto my CRTs and sent him this photo yesterday:

Red-Dwarf.jpg

Master of the Universe

This arrived today

Time to close the thread! Clearly have a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

qzy8jrq.jpg

This arrived today

Cool stuff :) I always liked judge dredd. The judge Anderson from that latest film was quite tasty, I'd patrol megacity with her any day :p

Streets of rage 4 was a genuinely good time beating it on 3 player, difficulty spikes for the last level but enjoyable. Hope they do another.

Barring the paint job, I got the last little bit for the Nintendo unisystem this evening, the instruction cards. You can see how someone would place a drink on too then it would dribble down across the marquee leeching the colour. Nice sparkly red that matches the paint colour of the machine, though I doubt it comes out in pictures. Looking at the paint job ahead ahead, I was surprised to see that the official shade used is "Nintendo Red". Easy to remember anyway.

And a close up of Simon Belmont because I'm bored out of my tats

IMG-20210120-175728-8.jpg

IMG-20210120-184733-9.jpg

IMG-20210120-183150-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

image.png

Sometimes I forget I'm subscribed to that magazine - it takes so long for copies to get to my house. I still have a couple of back issues I need to get. The problem is that once they're gone from the official website, it's up to the community from then on.

I also received a near-pristine copy of Blur for Xbox 360 (the disc holder's teeth was snapped, probably happened during transit as it was loose in the box when I opened it). Nearly annoyed that my text notification said "your Asendia UK parcel is arriving today" when I thought it was another certain Asendia parcel that I've been anxiously waiting for since before Christmas (and it was pre ordered in May)

Anyway. Woo-hoo. Stuff!

Ok I need to jump in here and stop the Blur bashing. I adored this game, its a crime that it died on its official release but that was down to the timing of its release more then anything. It and split second cannibalised each others sales and both were left in the wake of Red Dead Redemption. IMO It got the closest to Mario Kart that any arcade racer has gotten in terms of satisfying arcade/weaponised gameplay.

The games online was incredible and addictive with huge variety of modes, loads of unlockables, you could create custom challenges and send them to friends and then constantly 1up each others results. It had a solid arcade single player and 4 player local split screen. It was even ahead of its time in terms of social media integration. The variety and combinations of objectives really did a great job of compelling you to have just 1 more race.

Its a real shame that because of the situation with Bizarre Creations going under we'll never see it on the Xbox Series X backwards compatibility program but I implore anyone who dismissed it first time around to go back and give it a try with fresh eyes. There is a lot of good fun to had with this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Parawind wrote: »
    Ok I need to jump in here and stop the Blur bashing. I adored this game, its a crime that it died on its official release but that was down to the timing of its release more then anything. It and split second cannibalised each others sales and both were left in the wake of Red Dead Redemption. IMO It got the closest to Mario Kart that any arcade racer has gotten in terms of satisfying arcade/weaponised gameplay.

The games online was incredible and addictive with huge variety of modes, loads of unlockables, you could create custom challenges and send them to friends and then constantly 1up each others results. It had a solid arcade single player and 4 player local split screen. It was even ahead of its time in terms of social media integration. The variety and combinations of objectives really did a great job of compelling you to have just 1 more race.

Its a real shame that because of the situation with Bizarre Creations going under we'll never see it on the Xbox Series X backwards compatibility program but I implore anyone who dismissed it first time around to go back and give it a try with fresh eyes. There is a lot of good fun to had with this game.

I was playing it all day a couple of days ago and I couldn't put the controller down. It was a lot more fun than I remember. Trying to get all 50 points per "chapter" gets really addictive really quick
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow! I'm not normally into special editions, but that's something else!

The street chicken/turkey really makes it :D

It's made of soft foam, I hate the feel of it

>.<

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I feel like Blur came out when there was just a crap ton of games out. Blur and Split/Second came and went, as did the likes of Bulletstorm, Brink, Alpha Protocol etc. I'm surprised I didn't play Blur or Split/Second since I had every Dirt, Grid, Forza, Burnout, NFS and PGR on the system.

Doesn't help the yearly CoD releases started 2007 onwards. I was also busy with a steady stream of Rockstar releases with GTA IV, Max Payne 3, Midnight Club, Red Dead, Bully, LA Noire and GTA V!

It seems nowadays my Playstation friend list are playing a handful of the same games but back then everyone would be playing a completely different game.

I don't wanna know how many new IPs and hidden gems I missed out on for the 360 by sinking a silly amount of hours in Forza 2, 3, 4 etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Parawind wrote: »

I wasn't bashing it. I said I'm just not surprised it sold really poorly. It's a Mario Kart game dressed up as a po-faced racer. So it alienates the mario kart crowd as it looks boring and the racing crowd who want a more realistic game. I have discovered it's a great racer but the aesthetic just puts me off it as well.

Even at the time when I saw the great reviews coming in I was thinking to myself who is going to buy it and that it could be a big problem for bizarre creations if it flopped.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a Mario Kart game dressed up as a po-faced racer.

It was a different time back then, I suppose it was during that brown period of games alright. :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a Mario Kart game dressed up as a po-faced racer. So it alienates the mario kart crowd as it looks boring and the racing crowd who want a more realistic game. I have discovered it's a great racer but the aesthetic just puts me off it as well.

Even at the time when I saw the great reviews coming in I was thinking to myself who is going to buy it and that it could be a big problem for bizarre creations if it flopped.

No I get that and its completely valid, but that's why I feel like many people still to this day dismiss it out of hand when most never even tried it. I think their advertising campaign was going for the teenage boy racer crowd but I think they were too late to the party for that oversaturated market.

I still did enjoy the ad they ran though, still gives me a chuckle.

I also think they gave away too much in the open beta, you basically could play the entire online multiplayer on 360 for several months pre-release, so when it came to release a lot of people who had put 100+ hours into the multiplayer didn't feel like paying for it.

I was bashing it, I really didn't like it and had no idea why anyone would want to shoot energy bolts from a Ford Focus!
    Split/Second on the other hand... just outstanding!
    In fact, that game really is something that would work as an arcade cabinet, maybe a multiplayer linked effort, just spectacular

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was bashing it, I really didn't like it and had no idea why anyone would want to shoot energy bolts from a Ford Focus!
    Split/Second on the other hand... just outstanding!
    In fact, that game really is something that would work as an arcade cabinet, maybe a multiplayer linked effort, just spectacular

I picked up Split Second at the same time as Blur and because I was so hooked on Blur at the time (from the beta), it been sitting unplayed in my backlog all this time. I was always planning to go back to it and since gamestop are finally sending me an Xbox Series X next week, I am really excited to see how well it runs on the backwards compatibility. I always enjoyed the terraforming mechanic from excite truck, so I suspect I am really going to like it.

I'd say forget about Blur's weird hybrid style and give it a 2nd chance, just think of it as any combat kart racer and you'll find it a lot more enjoyable. The weapon mechanics are actually a lot of fun and there is a really well balanced risk reward aspect to the gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Assorted orders in limbo over Christmas showed up this week.

540272.jpeg

Dammit I want one of those Snes Jr.s!
    Also, I want a NES Jr too!
    Damn you fate, send me Ninty awesomeness in the post, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My Amiga 600 Furia v3 accelerator arrived today from Poland. I'm upgrading an A600 to be used as my main Amiga games machine(whdload, external Gotek and physical disks). I play mostly non AGA games when not on the CD32, so this makes sense(my A1200 machines look nice on the shelf, but aren't hooked up all the time :))

3TgLpw6.jpg

Sn9T7Yi.jpg

f5qyz8x.png

Its a nice boost from the stock 7MHz 68000 to a 37.70MHz 68020 processor(with a 68882 FPU).
    Plenty of memory as well (for an Amiga) with 9.5MB Fast RAM that I've split into 8MB fast/1MB fast/512KB slow as well as enabling the somewhat weirdly secret/hidden extra 1.5MB on the card. There's also an old trapdoor RAM expansion board inside this A600, but I have a modern replacement on the way as this one is old and I don't trust it 100%.

I went with a new SD card interface as the performance/compatibility is a lot better with the Furia than CF cards.
    I've got one of those fancy modern power supplies with the OLED display on the way as well. Much smaller and the internals are meant to be top notch(will see next week).

In case anyone ever needs it, here's the furiatune script I added to the Amiga start-up sequence to enable/set everything properly on boot(took a good few tries to get everything working just right)
    C:furiatune >RAM:furiatune.log status 
    C:Search >NIL: RAM:furiatune.log "no furia"
    If WARN
         C:Search >NIL: RAM:furiatune.log "ShadowROM is active" 
         If WARN
    	   C:furiatune >NIL: shadowrom reboot
         EndIf
         C:furiatune >NIL: addmem
    EndIf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭Inviere

RMC did a really enjoyable 3 part piece on the A600 recently, and it makes a lot more sense that it was never meant to be a successor to the 500, and was originally supposed to be named the 300 (a cut down, more affordable 500 model). After watching it, seeing it being upgraded, and having some more background on it, I've come around to it as a machine, and there's no reason at all it can't stand tall alongside the 1200 if it has the right upgrades, as in Steve's case here.

Edit - Videos embedded if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Never really understood why folks didn't like the A600 - seemed like a 'I have a A500 so the A500 is better' type thing.

The built in IDE interface is the main benefit over say a A500+ (or that and the additional built in 512k RAM over the A500).
    Other benefit back in the day was a built in RF modulator over the external one for the A500 models.
    I do remember needing to use relokick to use kickstart 1.3 for some software on the A500+/600?

Inviere wrote: »
    RMC did a really enjoyable 3 part piece on the A600 recently, and it makes a lot more sense that it was never meant to be a successor to the 500, and was originally supposed to be named the 300 (a cut down, more affordable 500 model). After watching it, seeing it being upgraded, and having some more background on it, I've come around to it as a machine, and there's no reason at all it can't stand tall alongside the 1200 if it has the right upgrades, as in Steve's case here.

Edit - Videos embedded if anyone is interested

It was his videos that put me on to the new power supply with the OLED.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭Inviere

Steve X2 wrote: »
    It was his videos that put me on to the new power supply with the OLED.

I like his content, it's all very well put together, presented well, and enjoyable to nerd out with. His new space looks fantastic, great to see it coming together.

His MISter videos have made me want to get one, and have a dedicated crt option here. He also has me half wanting to build a retro pc a 486 core on a Mister too, there's something very nostalgic about pc games of yore, played on a crt at a desk.

But yeah, I enjoyed his 600 piece, loved the upgrades he put in, and the end result. Lovely little machine

Inviere wrote: »
    I like his content, it's all very well put together, presented well, and enjoyable to nerd out with. His new space looks fantastic, great to see it coming together.

His MISter videos have made me want to get one, and have a dedicated crt option here. He also has me half wanting to build a retro pc a 486 core on a Mister too, there's something very nostalgic about pc games of yore, played on a crt at a desk.

But yeah, I enjoyed his 600 piece, loved the upgrades he put in, and the end result. Lovely little machine

The Furia board really makes it a powerful little machine I must say. Not bad for less than €100 and probably the best bang for buck out there for an Amiga. Its nice to see the cold boot time to Workbench go from 30-40 seconds to 3-5 seconds(warm reset is about 2 seconds) :)

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Never really understood why folks didn't like the A600 - seemed like a 'I have a A500 so the A500 is better' type thing.

The built in IDE interface is the main benefit over say a A500+ (or that and the additional built in 512k RAM over the A500).
    Other benefit back in the day was a built in RF modulator over the external one for the A500 models.
    I do remember needing to use relokick to use kickstart 1.3 for some software on the A500+/600?

I always preferred the A600 myself over the A500, it was just a much neater machine to have around.
    The A500 is just so massive(even without the rf modulator or hdd addon).

a2jhSa2.jpg

MKPHpdL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Most of the hatred for the A600 seems from how it was (mis)launched, people quickly realised it wasn't much of an upgrade from the A500+, in fact with the buggy 2.0 Kickstart it was a downgrade it terms of compatibility with some software. The IDE didn't matter to a lot of people given the cost of harddrives at the time.

Personally I prefer the A500, no reason other than its what I knew first. Comparing the sizes isn't really fair given the differences in manufacturing technologies between the two, A600 is all smd. The candy-bar 68000 in the A500 is probably the same size as all the ICs in the A600 combined.

My A600 rarely gets used, its been upgraded and perfect for whdload but the A1200 is always setup so is first choice. Actually going to convert it to a Mister host, someone designed a bunch of 3d printable brackets that make fitting the Mister, usb hubs etc all seamless and completely reversible so I won't feel guilty doing this mod.

Most of the hatred for the A600 seems from how it was (mis)launched, people quickly realised it wasn't much of an upgrade from the A500+, in fact with the buggy 2.0 Kickstart it was a downgrade it terms of compatibility with some software. The IDE didn't matter to a lot of people given the cost of harddrives at the time.

Personally I prefer the A500, no reason other than its what I knew first. Comparing the sizes isn't really fair given the differences in manufacturing technologies between the two, A600 is all smd. The candy-bar 68000 in the A500 is probably the same size as all the ICs in the A600 combined.

My A600 rarely gets used, its been upgraded and perfect for whdload but the A1200 is always setup so is first choice. Actually going to convert it to a Mister host, someone designed a bunch of 3d printable brackets that make fitting the Mister, usb hubs etc all seamless and completely reversible so I won't feel guilty doing this mod.

While I definitely see your point, by the time I was getting an Amiga as a kid(1992 I think) the A500+ and A600 where available in Ireland(they were still selling new A500+ machines in Naas anyway:)). So it was a matter of comparing both and going with the one that suited best.
    One thing I really wish they had done with the A600 was include the numpad as a function of the standard keys. That and maybe boost the build quality, as its lacking on that front for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I forgot to share some of the pressies I got for Christmas

ErndEpJXMAAzZSQ?format=jpg&name=small

Ernddt1XcAEkTgB?format=jpg&name=small

Ernd5iLXcAA-Cvs?format=jpg&name=900x900

ErneQo_W8AACgbw?format=jpg&name=small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement