Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There was a regular poster here a few years back who was obsessed with that series. Even went so far as to hunt down and buy up all of the laser discs related to it.

I'm a big fan of Metal Black myself, which was meant to be a Darius game but eventually was deemed too dark for the series.

I've a lovely PCB, but unfortunately the sound went the last time I played it and I've yet to have a go at sorting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Edit: got mixed up with boards there, oops. Not the same modules on your metal black.

All good games though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Darius is great! I got the Cozmic Collection for the Switch when I went to Japan in 2019. Ah... travel! I tried to buy Darius Gaiden and an F3 mob on UKVAC before Christmas, but the dude was **** at responding to PMs.

Nothing new retro for me lately. Most of my purchases are caught up in portal systems but my wife is pregnant with my first, due in June. Another one for A&R Jr in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm a big fan of the Darius series myself. I think i have at least 2 copies of each game on each system at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    There was a regular poster here a few years back who was obsessed with that series. Even went so far as to hunt down and buy up all of the laser discs related

• Advertisement

In other news should be a Judge Dredd pinball on the way to me soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Gradius wrote: »
    Yeah minature humans are great and all, but 'tis no Sony Trinitron, sailor!

Won't be able to get this up and going for a while, but I'll grab some rgb cables and see how it looks eventually. Really just got it for the sega Saturn. No pvm's or bvm's until I find one in a bin somewhere, but this'll do for now :)

IMG-20210114-WA0001.jpg

Is that one of those 29" Neutron Star models? I thought I remember reading something a few days ago about the Earth spinning faster...

Master of the Universe

Thanks for sorting that for me, I'll have a van waiting outside your house the moment it arrives :D
    Inviere wrote: »
    Is that one of those 29" Neutron Star models? I thought I remember reading something a few days ago about the Earth spinning faster...

Everyone was worried about the Large Hadron Collider forming a singularity when they should have in fact been focused on too many 29 inch Sony Trinitrons conglomerating in the one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So I think (and I could be wrong - it happened once before) that one of the scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider was getting a bad mobile phone signal and so they hooked up their phone to the LHC as a signal booster. That caused a ripple in the 5G continuum and as a result we got coronavirus. And the Neutron Star TVs are acting as local boosters, distributed around the world, for that 5G signal also.
    Simples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone was worried about the Large Hadron Collider forming a singularity when they should have in fact been focused on too many 29 inch Sony Trinitrons conglomerating in the one spot.

Be glad the plan to collect every OG Panasonic 3DO in that location too, reckon the space-time would have contorted to such an extent that a new universe would have budded off, just like ours but there Trip Hawkins is God/Emperor.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Be glad the plan to collect every OG Panasonic 3DO in that location too, reckon the space-time would have contorted to such an extent that a new universe would have budded off, just like ours but there Trip Hawkins is God/Emperor.

My office is the gateway to such a universe:)

tuu35Yt.jpg

If you get stopped while transporting it, and the guards tell you you're breaking the law, you know EXACTLY what to say....:p

After the disappointment of the Otaku SCART switch I decided to order a Hydra2 REVISED from Lotharek. It shipped yesterday evening from Poland and arrived at 9am this morning(the joys of UPS and ordering from Euroland and not Japan/US/UK).
    I've yet to give it a good test but the build quality is way ahead of the Otaku switch and more or less on par with the gwscart. He's fixed a lot of bugs since the Hydra and Hydra2, so hopefully it works well.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=290

CDeMlpi.jpg

C1WbCyx.jpg

Next to the Otaku switch.
    FLEJxX9.jpg
    Fully automatic SCART switch with full galvanic inputs separation

(bold - new features comparing to HYDRA2)

8 scart inputs ( RGB, s-video, composite) - easily expandable to 16 or 24 inputs with HYDRA HEADS device
    2 scart ouput - now, You can connect Your 2 ouput devices !!
    "Knight rider" style active scart detection
    full ROHS
    expandable with 2 additional HYDRA HEADS devices to offer outstanding 24inputs scart functionality
    AVR controller with firmware future updates
    HQ plexi transparent ( made by me ;-) at my laser machine)
    STEREO RCA audio output
    IR controlled
    Improved signal detection histerisis / all cables shall work now/
    3 independant audio buffers for each audio output
    SYNC ON GREEN mode for scart input 2 (SW7 - SOG SWITCH)
    RGB ONLY / AUTO mode for scart input 8 (SW8 )

fully compatible with HYDRA2 firmware
    manual/automatic mode
    MICRO USB power supply (regular mobile phone charger 5V will do the job - please, use sth decent - approx 1A)
    Dedicted remote sold separately - soon; thus You can always use any NEC/ENEC compatible one You may already have - Please, check FAQ tab above
    DUAL POWER INPUT : REGULAR MICRO USB MOBILE CHARGER (preffered) or power supply:
    2.1 / 5.1 barrel jack
    7.5V-9V AC/DC
    DC polarity independant
    9V suggested ( REMEMBER - more voltage You supply, more heat hydra will produce)
    TTL SYNC can be switch on on both outputs the same time, even if one receiver is 75ohm capable only
    added extra protection at SCART INPUTS to protects NCS chips

Inviere wrote: »

I've been stuck in it's orbit for days now, spinning round and round. I've been working on a Heinz beans strategy to effect the necessary extra propulsion to reach escape velocity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have four of the Bandridge scart adaptors, looks like I should sell them all for millions and buy some of those Polish devices to replace them!

IMG-20210115-141329-7.jpg

Another delayed delivery from Christmas, sent by DHL, arrives via man-in-a-van, seems to be the way :) the progenitor of the Dreamcast joypad. Putting these aside until I get the TV set up. Interesting that it was sold for 149 deutschmarks

Gradius wrote: »
    If you get stopped while transporting it, and the guards tell you you're breaking the law, you know EXACTLY what to say....:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve X2 wrote: »
    My office is the gateway to such a universe:)

tuu35Yt.jpg

Three 3DO's

One for each game worth playing on the system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Three 3DO's

200w.gif

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Three 3DO's

Now now...
    No trolling the regulars...
    Save that for the n00bs!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah now, the 3DO does have one great use, you can put it under an N64 and pretend you have a DD :D

Ah now, the 3DO does have one great use, you can put it under an N64 and pretend you have a DD :D

True, its ok as long as the DD is working. No point in having a faulty one out on show :D

Actually, joking aside, did you ever get that DD working?

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    True, its ok as long as the DD is working. No point in having a faulty one out on show :D

Actually, joking aside, did you ever get that DD working?

Ziiiiing! :D

It powers on alright. Just can't get it to read disks.

Given there are bugger all games for it, I think I'm probably already getting about 90% of the DD experience by just seeing mario run around the logo in the bios screen!

Master of the Universe

Bought a little steal cabinet with drawers from Ikea to sit my 14 inch PVM on vertically. You can see it to the right of the BVM.

To make it even better though, the drawers fit all of my controllers! It's an insanely visually gratifying thing, makes the whole setup look so neat - not a controller in sight!

They can almost fit an arcade stick, just a couple of cm off vertically. (might fit one if you remove the balltop)

Will be sitting another monitor on top of it tomorrow, just didn't have the heart for all the wire chasing on a Friday evening :pac:

IMG-20210115-191342960.jpg

I have the same unit in red. It's lovely with a pvm on top. Little 9 inch sonys fit perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ziiiiing! :D

It powers on alright. Just can't get it to read disks.

Given there are bugger all games for it, I think I'm probably already getting about 90% of the DD experience by just seeing mario run around the logo in the bios screen!
    Had a notion just there of "it would be interesting to get one of those which might have the same issue with the idea to fix it"...and then I saw the price they are going for, MADNESS! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

image.png

Sometimes I forget I'm subscribed to that magazine - it takes so long for copies to get to my house. I still have a couple of back issues I need to get. The problem is that once they're gone from the official website, it's up to the community from then on.

I also received a near-pristine copy of Blur for Xbox 360 (the disc holder's teeth was snapped, probably happened during transit as it was loose in the box when I opened it). Nearly annoyed that my text notification said "your Asendia UK parcel is arriving today" when I thought it was another certain Asendia parcel that I've been anxiously waiting for since before Christmas (and it was pre ordered in May)

Anyway. Woo-hoo. Stuff!

Blur, I know it was supposed to be amazingly amazing and poor old Bizarre Creations went under as result of not enough people embracing that amazing-ness, but I really didn't like the mix of real cars and Mario Kart weapons.
    Now, I'm not a snob, but I just didn't get it.
    By that token, I really really liked, and still do like, Split Second, another explodey racing game.
    Of course, both games are pure masterpieces compared to that godawful Ridge Racer Unbounded, why Edge loved it I will never know, the driving model is awful, I had no fun with it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blur, I know it was supposed to be amazingly amazing and poor old Bizarre Creations went under as result of not enough people embracing that amazing-ness, but I really didn't like the mix of real cars and Mario Kart weapons.

It's was an unmarketable tonal mess.

Where mario kart succeeded was it was cartoony wacky racers racing with a wacky cartoon aesthetic.

Blur was wacky cartoon racing with a serious race sim aesthetic that no matter how good failed to appeal to anyone.

The likes of burnout or split second on the other hand where just silly over the top boy racer wet dreams and never pretended to be anything but.
    Of course, both games are pure masterpieces compared to that godawful Ridge Racer Unbounded, why Edge loved it I will never know, the driving model is awful, I had no fun with it at all.

An Edge review with a baffling review score! Say it ain't so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Now, I'm not a snob, but I just didn't get it.
    By that token, I really really liked, and still do like, Split Second, another explodey racing game.

I'll always remember directly comparing it to Split/Second. I dunno what turned me away from Blur because I remember having a lot of fun with it. Probably because I got both games around the same time.

Split/Second was on another level. I played it a few months ago and it's still ridiculously fun. Blur was surprisingly pricey. I dunno why it was the price it was. I paid about €30 CIB.

I played the demo of RR Unbounded and all I remember from it was a Skrillex track I particularly enjoyed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement