Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Interesting, ps1 games, what do they play like?
    What are side scrollers like
    Eg. Wonderboy, GNG, RType?

PS stuff doesn't appear to be the target software, couldn't run the examples Kerb had installed.
    It might be the case though that they are unlikely to run well, though they are considered "available" because they do open, or should at least.

But the other arcade titles work very well.
    I was playing some Progear and In The Hunt, both of which worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loved Conflict Desert Storm at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Thargor wrote: »
    Loved Conflict Desert Storm at the time.

I played it with my cousin so many times 15 years ago. Very janky nowadays but I can still fly through it alone as if I played it last week. Class game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was janky the day it was released tbh, had a feel of those generic €10 pc games that used to be on racks in newsagents but the gameplay was absolutely brilliant, some proper firefights in it.

Thargor wrote: »
    It was janky the day it was released tbh, had a feel of those generic €10 pc games that used to be on racks in newsagents but the gameplay was absolutely brilliant, some proper firefights in it.

I had a very blissful ignorance to the quality of games back then. It could run at 15fps and I would not have cared. Nowadays if it's not a very stable fps, I'll struggle to avoid a headache

Conflict is worth the headache imho :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Not quite retro but it facilitates retro!

IMG-20181017-214235.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Not quite retro but it facilitates retro!

IMG-20181017-214235.jpg

Is this for the PSP?

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah, happened to get one today myself in the post aswell as one of the new Vita adapters.

Vita now has 128GB of storage :cool:

Same here! :cool:

I actually have a spare sd2vita adapter if anyone ones to buy it from me. It's the latest and better black and red adapter, not those nasty bare circuit board versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Doge wrote: »
    Is this for the PSP?

Yeah, exactly that.
    I went with a 32gb card as there was a time the psp was limited to that size. Possible that cfw removed that cap but didn't want to take the chance.

32gb should be more than enough to hold a Top 25 games say.

IxKwWmjh.jpg?1
    Shut up, this is a man's game.

:pac:

In all fairness I loved this growing up. I bought it purely for nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I actually have a spare sd2vita adapter if anyone ones to buy it from me. It's the latest and better black and red adapter, not those nasty bare circuit board versions.

Do I need CFW installed to use one of these?
    If not I'll take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Do I need CFW installed to use one of these?
    If not I'll take it!

The one for the Vita you do.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Went to ebay to get a cheapo HDMI multi switcher. Decided to see if there was a high quality broadcast/production option instead as I'm a freak for that stuff. :D

Of course there is! Extron make them. And by the looks of things you're talking £100+.

I did however find a seller selling EXTRON MPS 409 units for £35 each (has three left, yes I bought one)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRON-MPS-409-Presentation-Switcher/132468086355?hash=item1ed7b69653:g:begAAOSwPOhaWQNl:rk:1:pf:0

Has the following features;

- 3x1 HDMI switcher
    - 2x1 DVI switcher
    - 2x1 VGA/HDTV component video switcher
    - 2x1 composite video switcher
    - 9x1 analog stereo audio switcher

Seems like a really cool unit and a bit of a bargain.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Went to ebay to get a cheapo HDMI multi switcher. Decided to see if there was a high quality broadcast/production option instead as I'm a freak for that stuff. :D

Of course there is! Extron make them. And by the looks of things you're talking £100+.

I did however find a seller selling EXTRON MPS 409 units for £35 each (has three left, yes I bought one)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRON-MPS-409-Presentation-Switcher/132468086355?hash=item1ed7b69653:g:begAAOSwPOhaWQNl:rk:1:pf:0

Has the following features;

- 3x1 HDMI switcher
    - 2x1 DVI switcher
    - 2x1 VGA/HDTV component video switcher
    - 2x1 composite video switcher
    - 9x1 analog stereo audio switcher

Seems like a really cool unit and a bit of a bargain.

Might check if my plasma also takes a VGA input, in which case I might pick one up.
    That display is about to get busier as I'll have the 360, PS3 and the PS2 all hooked up via HDMI and, potentially, the DC via the VGA port... assuming it has one.

Master of the Universe

I've been reading up a bit on these, they can actually do a lot more than I'd initially thought.

As well as SDI video out, it also has HDMI out and 3.5mm audio out.

So you could actually have this hooked up to a standard TV with a HDMI port, as well as a production monitor that does SDI. No adapters needed.

You can also switch between multiple audio sources and have them all going to one hifi.

You can basically pair up any audio with any picture across all connections and display it to several different video outputs simultaneously.

In your above scenario, you could run your Dreamcasts VGA into the Extron and display it out over a HDMI cable to your tv.

Edit - damn, I don't think that VGA to HDMI idea would work as it doesn't have an inbuilt scaler (manual says the output video format will be the same as the input).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'll take this if Cidey doesn't want it. I've a Vita on 3.60 sitting in its box in the attic, it could do with a pal :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

vOMUn05.jpg

So I managed to get another of those tiny Sony pvms for cheap.....and I currently have 2 more enroute to me (with flight cases :))

I want to make a mini video wall. I asked on collective and I got some good suggestions, just wondering if anyone here had any ideas. I want to have a quarter of the image on each screen. Someone suggested Daisy chaining composite cables but I'm not sure. I think regardlessly I'll have to get 4 scart to pvm cables and run them through this

http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=206

Link to the Facebook post as well for anyone to see what the other lads suggested. With a screen that size I'm not too fussy over using RGB scart.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/444560212348840?view=permalink&id=1200672746737579

Master of the Universe

Really cool idea and something I've wanted to try for a while too.

The stuff you've posted links to would just give you the same image on all screens. As would chaining composite cables.

You need some sort of processor/software to split the image up into 4 parts and then to output each part as separate video signal. The monitors themselves are dumb in this whole process, they'll just be receiving the signal and looking pretty.

There's a raspberry Pi solution, but this looks to be more for digital video unfortunately.

Yeah I'm afraid you could be right. Might be a pipedream. The image duplicated on 4 screen would be pretty cool all the same.

I've looked at some of those professional boxes for splitting the signal....they are silly money for what I want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I would have never thought of doing that. I'll keep that in mind if I pickup a PSP.

Had a 2GB card back then, could barely hold 1-2 games and the UMD drive broke on both of my model 1000s!

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    I'll take this if Cidey doesn't want it. I've a Vita on 3.60 sitting in its box in the attic, it could do with a pal :o

Probably worth it alright for the flawless PS1 & PSP (hardware) emulation on the device!

Sure send me a PM and I can arrange something.

Master of the Universe

Having the same video on multiple screens is a really simple to do and should be done with anyone who has multiple PVMs :D

Composite on those monitors uses BNC, but you can get RCA to BNC connectors for really cheap;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pack-BNC-MALE-TO-RCA-PHONO-FEMALE-CONNECTOR-ADAPTOR-CCTV/290746791669?hash=item43b1dbf6f5:m:m3K-1BJtzvZBliREtcp1Ggw:rk:7:pf:0

i bought a bag of them a few years ago, have come in really handy.

Just chain them all together with standard composite cables connecting to those above adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Probably worth it alright for the flawless PS1 & PSP (hardware) emulation on the device!

Sure send me a PM and I can arrange something.

I'll wait for the go ahead from Cidey, thanks man :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I havent a clue about these monitors, they look cool though, where are you guys buying them from?

Master of the Universe

Ah there's nothing too complicated about them, they're basically just high end CRTs. Main difference between them and your usual CRT from a usage point of view is they have BNC connectors rather than scart sockets. You just get a BNC to Scart adapter and you're good to go.

PVMs tend to come with a mono speaker, so you're best routing sound to a hifi instead.

As where to get them, it's just pot luck really! 9 inch monitors can make it okay in the post if you ever see them on ebay or the likes..as long as they're packed well or better yet, in a flight case.

Anything bigger than that and you start running the risk of damage.

There's actually a website called Northern Ireland broadcast that has a few listed for sale too under their monitor section.

https://www.nibroadcast.co.uk/store/Monitors-c23226410?offset=20

For a 9 inch PVM you should be looking to spend 50-70.

And also Oisín posted a seller in Germany for the BVM models which can go from 9" to 20":

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=bvm&submit_search=

You can create a stock notification email on the product page, the 14" BVMs come into stock every month or 2 before being snapped up.

Oisín, Dinorex and myself bought a 14", Oisín and Dinorex' monitors arrived unscathed.

However mine came with some cosmetic damage, the bezel is still loose so the power buttons is alway switched on and the handles are broken.

They refunded me €50 though so it was well worth it for minor cosmetic damage.

More on that issue here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106552596&postcount=6974

Cool thanks guys, some of them are pricey and some are around 60, whats the important stuff to look out for? other than screen burn etc, is there a preferred brand etc?

Eg this sony one is 60. anything here that would put you off buying it?

https://www.nibroadcast.co.uk/store/Sony-PVM-9042QM-9inch-colour-monitors-with-4-3-and-16-9-composit-and-YUV-RGB-p83338012

edit, is there a difference between pvm and bvm or is it just model types?

That Sony one looks great.

For comparison I bought my second one for £30 and the 2 other ones I have on the way we're £60 each but have their own flight cases and seem to be in great nick

Is that off ebay or those sites above? Delivery from that first site (not the NI one) is 40 quid, that sound right?

• Advertisement

I used eBay and messaging sellers looking for shipping.

I've gotten one shipped to my house from England for 25 for 40 is a bit steep

Actually one of my monitors says "HR Trinitron" where the others just say Trinitron, is there actually any difference?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement