Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

TheStook wrote: »
    Still yet to find anything pre ps1 in a charity shop but these are still better than the usual fifa ****e. The lady had no idea what nintendo/sega/gameboy games were and figured they were the same as ps2 games except they had "sega" or "nintendo" on the top but she still asked for my number and said she'd ring me if she got anything like that in so hopefully something turns up.

€2 each for these isn't bad anyway.

I asked in an charity shop one time if they had any older games, Sega, Nintendo etc.

The nice old lady told me to come back the next day as they had a box full of Sega games out the back somewhere but she had to do a bit of digging.

Of course I thought I hit the jackpot as she was so sure that they were really old games.

I came back the next day and was shown a tatty box of PC games. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Some car booty from the weekend.

duemX67.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    In the instance of boxed Megadrive stuff, I generally tend to find them tucked in the VHS shelves/bins. Found some GBA carts chucked into a toy basket once and am about 70% sure the whole thing ended up getting tipped, which unnerves me to no end.

Oh yeah she genuinely told me that they usually dump all the old games they get in and she's "delighted" that someone might actually make use of them.

The thoughts of all those games dumped whilst she has about 20 Fifa 2005's on the shelf makes me sick but hopefully she'll ring me whenever she gets stuff in from now on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Myrddin wrote: »
    Few bits I've picked up over the last while

Some N64 muck. But all being NTSC & the lot for a tenner, why not

2zoksxg.jpg
    that F1 game isn't bad, framerate is dreadful, might be better in NTSC.
    Picked these up too, for the price I couldn't say no(fiver for both)

5kezq8.jpg
    I didn't know that they were both on the Xbox.
    Must complete the set.
    The quest for all things Zelda continues. Also heard Dead Space Extraction was a decent on rails shooter so why not.

25s07lt.jpg
    Dead Space Extraction is brilliant to be honest, a clever way of getting a then current gen game onto previous gen silicon with minimal visual and audio compromises by making it a rail shooter.

Have these on Steam, but hey, what's a collector to do. I loved the Max Payne games back in the day when I seen them for €6 for both I think it was, I couldn't pass them up!

2u61ah5.jpg
    The loading times, especially in the sequel, are awful in the PS2, imho .
    Cult classic

2vjwifm.jpg
    Just fecking brilliant.
    I know the resolution is higher on the PS3 but the game is really something to experience, much like Flower or Journey, Limbo or Braid were a generation later.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

It'd be tempting to go with original hardware version, but play through the PS3 version if you can! It's the same game, just with higher resolution etc... so you'll be playing it as intended... just in HD :)

Improvements aren't quite as radical as SotC though... that PS2 framerate :eek:

Are there any advantages to playing the original ps2 version? Would it look better on an RGB CRT for example?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Donatron wrote: »
    Are there any advantages to playing the original ps2 version? Would it look better on an RGB CRT for example?

Can't imagine there are many advantages TBH, unless you really like the look of PS2 art assets (although ICO is still a beautiful game despite comparatively primitive technology). The HD remake is just a lick of paint as opposed to anything major. If you have your PS3 hooked up to a HDTV, then I'd say go with that. Although playing the original on a good CRT would be perfectly acceptable too.

Shadow of the Colossus, on the other hand, there is really no good reason to stick with the original any more. Protect the precious art cards and stick with the high, stable frame rate of the HD version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That Amiga 7800 is super, the games looks minty fresh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    That Amiga 7800 is super, the games looks minty fresh!

Cough... Atari... cough....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Picked this up, this has to be my last game for a while I've really gone overboard with spending lately :o I had this on the Snes back in the day, & after watching the 16bit Gems review of it...the Megadrive/Genesis version is the one to have. The Snes version is just broken with silly difficulty.

20i6mbq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Cough... Atari... cough....

Schoolboy error, I'll get my coat......

• Advertisement

So,
    Neither Arcade or Retro this time.

Made the jump
    Pulled the trigger
    Kicked Bishop Brennan in the @rse

And finally bought a PS4.
    Got a good deal.
    €350 for it, with Fifa and COD:Ghosts.
    Went straight to CEX.
    Traded in Fifa and COD:Ghosts.
    Got Shadowfall and Watchdogs instead, as well as a copy of Super Princess Peach (for the DS, not the PS4, you n00b!) with the credit value, and a spare bit of change.
    Then to Gamestop in the Pavilion in Swords, I got a voucher for the Mall so spent it on Need for Speed: Rivals, Assassins Creed IV and a €10 PSN voucher.
    So not a bad run there at all.

Can't wait to play Peach, the rest can wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

You left out the bit where you went into Tesco.

You left out the bit where you went into Tesco.

No, this was a Tesco free games shopping trip.
    Also discovered, on hooking in up, that I have a load of titles awaiting download, Resogun and the rest, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And finally bought a PS4.
    Got a good deal.
    €350 for it, with Fifa and COD:Ghosts.

Adverts, was it? Great deal.

I'm getting the Last of Us bundle on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

PS4 meh...

I got me one of these :)

toshimsx.jpg

PS4 meh...

toshimsx.jpg

Ah, the official PS4 keyboard. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

PS4 meh...

toshimsx.jpg

Git! Is that a MSX2+?

Edit: Hmm looks groovy! http://www.msx.org/wiki/Toshiba_HX-10

Pow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Git! Is that a MSX2+?

Edit: Hmm looks groovy! http://www.msx.org/wiki/Toshiba_HX-10

Nope its an older MSX, pretty bog standard one but got it cheap so couldn't say no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Great Pyramid of Giza, The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The Temple of Artemis, The Statue of Zeus at Olympia, The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, The Colossus of Rhodes.. The AGS 101.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Great Pyramid of Giza, The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, The Temple of Artemis, The Statue of Zeus at Olympia, The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, The Colossus of Rhodes.. The AGS 101.

It's really that good, isn't it?
    Especially the smile you have, from ear to ear, as you go through your GB and GBC collection, it's like you are playing them for the first time.
    Reminds me of a eye-surgery charidee advert, when some poor soul finally has cataract surgery and sees her children for the first time.

"My glob, is that Super Mario Land 2!?! It's so beautiful! Sob, sob"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm currently on a bus with a 101 and no games but I can tell you one thing, I've never watched the GBA boot logo so many times consecutively!

Its like that moment when you buy your first RGB scart cable... can't wait to get home and crack into some actual games!

Thanks again Marko93, if you do actually develop kid Icarus claw hand syndrome, I am not to be held liable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I'm glad you're enjoying the start up screen so much. I checked out KI and OOT to make sure all problem free (there was no doubts they would be, just a habit), the bummer being I can't play them till tonight, because studying for repeats is waaaaay better

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Bought my childhood SNES back from my cousin at the weekend. It's currently off with Myrddin getting the (pretty much manditory!) region/60Hz mods done!

Games wise, think they traded off/lost some of the games, so got the following that I'll most likely keep, mostly for nostalgia reasons!

Killer Instinct
    Super Mario World
    Jurassic Park
    NBA Jam
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Donkey Kong Country
    Super Game Boy

And the following which I'll possibly swap/sell off.

Mario Paint
    Super Tennis
    ISS
    Brett Hull Hockey
    FIFA
    Bubsy

And never played this one, so I'll probably want to try it out before deciding what to do with it:

TMHT Tournament Fighters

Keep Super Tennis!
    It's, erm... Super!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

TMHT Tournament Fighters

Good thing you didnt get the American Ninja turtles version. That ninja word would just be too much for us Europeans!

Possibly the most confusion censorship I've ever come across

marko93 wrote: »
    I'm glad you're enjoying the start up screen so much. I checked out KI and OOT to make sure all problem free (there was no doubts they would be, just a habit), the bummer being I can't play them till tonight, because studying for repeats is waaaaay better

You may want a nice collection of AR cards to go with Kid Icarus! ;)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057251493/1/#post91430887

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I've always thought that since the cartoon came out and I first heard that it was "Ninja" instead of "Hero"

Yeah, I've always thought that since the cartoon came out and I first heard that it was "Ninja" instead of "Hero"

The original, proper comic books were amazing. Absolutely nothing like what was to follow...

Personally I really enjoyed TMNT TF. Though the two arcade games will always trump it, it's still a darn good game that cashed in nicely on the SF2 craze that was just starting to come to the boil back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    You may want a nice collection of AR cards to go with Kid Icarus! ;)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057251493/1/#post91430887

No idea what the cards are for :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement