Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Son0vagun wrote: »
    He gets engulfed in Furnace Wind, not fire, and only notices his hand is on fire when he sees it, he doesn't feel it.

You should google the theory.

But he begins to scream, so surely he does feel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

There's no way GRRM would introduce a new character like Quentyn just to kill him off. He's the second head of the dragon.

The Quentyn theory is worth a read. As is the Dorne Conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He only begins to scream after he sees that he is on fire, a possible implication being that he doesn't actually feel the flame.
    Its a curiously constructed sentence by GRRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

And Targaryens can get burnt, but Dragon fire is magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Very worried about these changes.

I felt that some things have really started to wobble a bit in the last couple of seasons but doing a complete rewrite of the entire story is taking it a bit far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Gbear wrote: »
    Very worried about these changes.

I felt that some things have really started to wobble a bit in the last couple of seasons but doing a complete rewrite of the entire story is taking it a bit far.

I don't think it's complete rewrite. I think they're rewriting in an attempt to speed things up. They've only got two seasons left after this one and it's pretty clear in the books that
    Tyrion and Dany will meet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't think it's complete rewrite. I think they're rewriting in an attempt to speed things up. They've only got two seasons left after this one and it's pretty clear in the books that
    Tyrion and Dany will meet

According to the photographs they
    already have them meeting in the coming season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

duploelabs wrote: »
    According to the photographs they
    already have them meeting in the coming season

That's what he means, they're speeding that up because of time constraints.

I don't mind any of the changes really, the series needs a good fcuking editing truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I can't unsee the leaked pics of
    Daenery's wedding
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Season 5 starts on April 12th.

Seems about 2 weeks later than normal but I presume Easter falls the week before.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/08/game-of-thrones-season-5-premiere-date-announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Season 5 trailer:

Taken from the IMAX screenings of Season 4 Episode 9 and 10. Decent quality and definitely worth a look.

Don't like the Bowie song, completely jars for me. But the rest looks fúcking amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Oh Gods, I can't wait!!

That looks spectacular!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

There is a lot going on in that trailer.

Hard to tell exactly what each scene is, watching it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I liked the song. A bit obvious perhaps (we could be heroes, c'mon..) but Bowie was always 'otherworldly' so why not try him out in Westeros/Essos?? But the music is so irrelevant compared to that teaser. Varys and Tyrion always had a great on screen dynamic and I always thought Tyrion became less likeable after landing in Essos so keeping them together is a masterstroke..

This is Daenerys' season (and to a slightly lesser extent, Jon's, Ice and Fire!!!) and from pictures that have been leaked I can say we're all in for a treat. Dany haters might start changing their minds...

Two and a bit months now folks, let the speculation begin.

GerB40 wrote: »
    This is Daenerys' season....

I was hoping it might be time for Stannis to have a good season. No more Stannis the villain. Probably too much to hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Will have a look at lunch! :D

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I was hoping it might be time for Stannis to have a good season. No more Stannis the villain. Probably too much to hope for.

Well a lot of Stannis' scenes are shot in Belfast and very little leaks come from there so there could very well be a lot of Stan the man this season. I'd rather him than Dany on screen to be honest but there's far more Essos material so I doubt we'll be seeing the Siege of Winterfell this season, though I hope I'm wrong on that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Has anyone heard anything about Wyman Manderley? I'll very grudgingly accept it if Brian Blessed doesn't get the role but excluding the character is not so forgivable. It all hinges on what they plan on doing with Davos and if they'll keep him with Stannis or what they're going to do with Rickon and Osha.

He was one of the very best things about A Dance with Dragons for me.

Has anyone heard anything about Wyman Manderley?

Nearly sure he is cut.

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything about Wyman Manderley? I'll very grudgingly accept it if Brian Blessed doesn't get the role but excluding the character is not so forgivable. It all hinges on what they plan on doing with Davos and if they'll keep him with Stannis or what they're going to do with Rickon and Osha.

Well if, like I said above, the Siege of Winterfell doesn't happen this season then there's no urgent need to have Wyman Manderley in S5. What we could have is some massive lad who looks like he couldn't sit ahorse in the background of some scenes and have a big name actor cast for S6.

Frey pie is amazing but would probably be too hard to convey on screen without coming right out and saying "THERE'S FREYS IN THAT PIE!!!". The best part of that is the mystery of whether or not there is actually Freys in the pie.

Wyman and Davos down in the cells on the other hand is a deal breaker. It would be criminal not to show that scene. "The north remembers Ser Davos, The north remembers and the mummers farce is almost done".

Leaving out Lady Stoneheart was one thing but leaving out Wyman Manderley would be unforgivable....

If they cut the Greyjoys, they will have no problem cutting Wyman Manderley.

He is not in season 5 anyways. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they cut Manderley and send Davos straight after Rickon some how. (or send Davos somewhere else completely unrelated (fecking Dorne!)).

I honestly don't know what they are going to show in S5 for some things, as I think they are going to divert from the books so much.

This season could cram most of the plot from Books 4 and 5 and bits of the Winds of Winter, and any bits we are unfamiliar with, we won't know if its from the next book or made up for the show.

It looks like they've completely thrown in the towel with trying to match the show's scale - no Aegon + Jon Con, no Stoneheart, radically different storylines in Dorne and Slavers Bay, no Iron Born, trimmed storylines at the wall and with Bran (by killing off a lot of characters) and so forth.

They're condensing about 2000 pages of Feast and Dance into 1 series.

So they're taking the main characters and getting them from where they were at the start and getting them to where they are in the books at the end, passing book checkpoints if possible, but first and foremost creating 1 tight 10 hour production.

It simply can't be done in the time frame they're going for and I think it's probably a necessary compromise but maybe one they didn't account for when they took this project on.
    They're book fans themselves so I'm sure they'd love to do all this as faithfully as possible, but in the end of the day, they need to make a show that works, has a budget and doesn't take 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Wow trailer is amazing. They are deviating away from the books in a big way as Martin has clearly said. It's a separate entity now ladies and gents we just need to accept it or stop watching it.

Gbear wrote: »
    They're book fans themselves so I'm sure they'd love to do all this as faithfully as possible....

Are they book fans?
    I never got that vibe off them.

Like some of the cuts are great book moments, and some of the sh1te they waste screen time with instead has been brutal.

Eg. Jamie and Tyrion. Not mentioning Tysha, but told us all about those beetles.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Are they book fans?
    I never got that vibe off them.

Like some of the cuts are great book moments, and some of the sh1te they waste screen time with instead has been brutal.

Eg. Jamie and Tyrion. Not mentioning Tysha, but told us all about those beetles.

Well, they read the books and then drove this entire process themselves.

They weren't some guns for hire that Gurm found when he wanted to make the TV series.

They had virtually no experience prior to GoT. They made it because they loved the story. I don't think it was ever just a job.

I could be wrong but wasn't Davos sent off by Stannis to find Rickon at the end of last season?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but wasn't Davos sent off by Stannis to find Rickon at the end of last season?

Not exactly. It was actually Wyman Manderley who sent Davos after Rickon, promising to support Stannis if a Stark returned to Winterfell. Stannis doesn't know whether Davos is alive or dead.

GerB40 wrote: »
    Not exactly. It was actually Wyman Manderley who sent Davos after Rickon, promising to support Stannis if a Stark returned to Winterfell. Stannis doesn't know whether Davos is alive or dead.

We just didn't see Wyman, is that it? Did Davos link up with Osha or did I imagine that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cerseis walk of shame should be fun :D

Advertisement