Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating controls

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

2011 wrote: »
    My concern is that all trades are being dumbed down.
    That's certainly a problem with anyone presenting themselves as having a higher qualification than they have. It dumbs down the meaning of the trade/title.
    gary71 wrote:
    I never thought twice about the term until I moved to Ireland where I met people like yourself (usually in pubs)who seem to put a lot of effort in to being offended by myself using the term engineer when I don't even have a briefcase:eek.
    I've never met anyone that has been a huge issue for. Nor am I in any way offended.
    There are children starving in Africa - does that mean we can't discuss technicalities here and should focus on these children instead? Of course not.
    Where not in those countries, where in one where people and ideas are commonly interchanging between here and the UK.
    I don't see why we have to be in those countries to discuss how they do things. A broadening of the mind can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Three points and I'll then drop out of this tread.

(1) In 30 years I've never been asked to produce my qualifications (which I'm proud of) to a customer or on a site, big or small, here or in the UK ( But that was 25 years ago )
    Makes me feel that qualifications are not worth the paper there written on.....
    Once asked for a copy if insurance.

(2) Recently asked new insurance Co. to include electrical cover wording for my trade P&H + boiler servicing.
    Cover came worded for me been plumbing and electrical contractor.
    No qualifications asked for.
    OMG that's scary.

(3) Ye two could get a job as typest anyday !!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

scudo2 wrote: »
    (1) In 30 years I've never been asked to produce my qualifications (which I'm proud of) to a customer or on a site, big or small, here or in the UK ( But that was 25 years ago )

I had to produce paperwork to prove that I was a qualified electrician to the TEEU so that I could join.
    An employer of mine (a large electrical contractor) insisted on seeing you union card as a condition of employment.
    When I was a REC and I took on my first apprentice Fás insisted that I prove that I had the necessary qualifications to do so.
    I though that this was a bit strange because they issued them to me :)
    So in that way my paperwork was checked twice.

However I accept your point that paperwork should be checked routinely.
    Makes me feel that qualifications are not worth the paper there written on.....

Why, do you not feel that you received good training?
    Cover came worded for me been plumbing and electrical contractor.
    No qualifications asked for.
    OMG that's scary.

Insurance is based on trust.
    When a person takes out insurance it is incumbent on them to disclose all material information to the insurance company.
    Failure to do so provides the insurance company with an option to decide that a policy is null & void in the event of a claim.
    Believe me if a large claim is being made against an insurance company they will investigate the case throughly.
    If there is a way that they can avoid paying out they will.

BTW, I do not recall ever showing an Irish insurance company my driving license.

".......Paper its written on."
    I've quite a few, like most good guys here. + I'm very proud to have them.
    Just wish it was normal practice to have to produce them, like a RGII card.
    But never asked for with oil servicing and plumbing.

Insurance Co should ask for them before cover, example been that I could wave my insurance cert as an electrical contractor to prove to a customer I'm a bonafied electrican ! (which I'm NOT )
    The good guys wouldn't do that but it leaves a opening for those who would and couldn't care about the conasquents .

My van and car insurance company's wanted/asked/got a copy of my drivers licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

back in the day many plumbers and the like joined ecssa

even some of the inspectors had no formal qualifications

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

even some of the inspectors had no formal qualifications

I would be very suprised if this was true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I would be very suprised if this was true.

reci and ecssa was a freeforall for years

i was there from the beginning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its 1 - 0 to the plumbers (engineers) here.

When is half time ref?

Bruthal wrote: »
    When is half time ref?

Ahhh Fck.
    Only
    399 more posts to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Go in peace my son, you have been forgiven for your sins once you say three Hail Marys :D

and no Our Father:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement