Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating controls

Options

Comments

2011 wrote: »
    It suggests to me that as per my previous post the real issue is policing & enforcement.
    Once we have that it place the system works.

You already have that with the SEI grant scheme but although the controls are fitted better little is done with interacting with the advanced control ability of boilers.

Here is an idea:
    Let the electrician be responsible for all electrical work and the RGI be responsible for the installation of the boiler & associated pipework.
    That is a very clear divesion of labour that works perfectly in commercial and industrial installations.

It's very hard to get a electrician to listen to other trades because you don't recognise other trades input when wiring is concerned:eek:, my conversations can often be heated due to the anger of the sparks when he/she has wired for 240v switching but the boiler is volt free DOH....

Bearing in mind the installations are already split in to two trades it hasn't worked and there are issues that never occur when one trade does both, the real answer I feel is to make training readily available at night school with training courses that give a decent qualification relevant to the areas they are working in, should a plumber who has done a four year apprenticeship and has technical knowledge from fault finding electrical faults on heating installations have to sit a further 4 years to be a electrician if all he wants is to wire, test and repair S plans?

Domestic installations are not commercial and have no overseer or plans with a understanding of both trades to maximise the overall heating and hot water requirements of individual domestic homes, room stats are often positioned for ease of wiring and not for how they'll best perform, Sparks get very little feed back on how the placement of the controls impact on the overall performance of there installs so you can't learn by your mistakes as I did when I wired, commissioned and repaired heating systems .

...and how long do you think it would take to train an electrician how to do this (bearing in mind that the RGI course is 10 days)?

A electrician who wishes to wire gas domestic home heating systems would only require training on the aspects that concern their working environment.

So a week or two should do it(but you can never have to much training:D)

anything substantial you need separate trades with full apprenticeships in each discipline,preferably all under the one contract to prevent all the interface and commissioning issues which arise

the work is too complicated to have someone crossover into both disciplines with a short training course

maybe for "small "domestic gas jobs there can be a one-person solution with sufficient training

Now we're sucking diesel:D

A common sense approach, with the right training and standards enforcement it's the home owner who wins as they will get a relevant up to date heating system that just works as it should.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gary71 wrote: »
    It's very hard to get a electrician to listen to other trades because you don't recognise other trades input when wiring is concerned:eek:

So your position is that the domestic electricians are unable to cooperate in the way that the industrial / commercial are.

Back to my earlier points:
    Policing & enforcement required - Refuse to sign off and report to ECSSA / RECI if this does not work go to CER.

You never addressed this:

"Lets see how that would work in reverse:
    I see appalling plumbing standards all of the time.
    If electricians completed a 10 day training course to fix this work and install boilers I think that many plumbers would be very annoyed.
    Obviously the plumbers were not capable as there are numerous leaks in the system and rads are falling off the walls.
    They had their crack at this work already and failed miserably.
    I am not being serious, just playing devil's advocate here.
    But I guess you can see my point?"

A electrician who wishes to wire gas domestic home heating systems would only require training on the aspects that concern their working environment.

So a week or two should do it(but you can never have to much training:D)

Maths problem here:

2 weeks is 10 days of training, the RGI course is for plumbers only 10 days long!

In theory plumbers learn enough about heating controls to install them as part of this course. Based on the fact that electricians already have 4 years of electrical training how could it possibly take them longer than the plumbers to learn enough about heating controls to install them? As you said electricians "only require training on the aspects that concern their working environment".

frankmul wrote: »
    Could you define what is involved in wiring heating systems,
    Design the control strategy, identifying the position for stats/sensors, first fixing, second fixing, commissioning of the controls.
    How much of this would you see a non electrical heating engineer able to complete.
    I think that wiring a heating system may have different meaning to different people

Wiring a heating system for me isn't just knowing about the integrity and safety of the boiler and heating components wired but also the impact the positioning of room stats, spurs, can have added with what extra signals the boiler can cope with to make the overall installation as good as possible.

As a end user of heating systems wired by sparks the lack of uniformity can make my job harder compered to systems wired by heating engineers, even the approach to wiring a S plan can lack the simplicity of a having a wiring centre where all the wires are uniform no matter which heating engineer wired it so that those following him can easily identify what wire does what or not in the event of fault finding.

I'm sure there are aspects of your job that have good working practises and all sparks do it the same way, heating systems have the same good working practises developed by trial and error, the things that are lacking I find are basic but still important ie.. You will notice zone valves are often positioned behind the cylinders or in other positions where access is limited but heating engineers will plumb them in front of a cylinder giving easy access, the other major difference is if I fit a boiler I will start by reading the MI to see how they want the boiler wired to determine the core and if I have to split it taking into account induction and whether the hot water demand is split.

Positioning of room stats is very important in how a overall heating system works but who takes ownership of positioning that room stat and wiring the neutral for the anticipator(when required), this can make a massive difference to the home owner.

I'm not going to pretend it's really difficult er.... I can do it, it's just working in a specific way based on years of doing the same job and being taught by those who spent years also doing the same job.

But anything ye do is based on the ability of the individual which leads to mixed results.

If a electrician wires a heating system it will be fantastic in respect of safety testing but does that same electrician ask himself how has my work impacted on the overall performance of the heating and is there anything I can do to make it better by fitting further electrical controls or sensors usually it's about getting the installation wired and tested then good luck good bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

Wiring a heating system for me isn't just knowing about the integrity and safety of the boiler and heating components wired but also the impact the positioning of room stats, spurs, can have added with what extra signals the boiler can cope with to make the overall installation as good as possible.

As a end user of heating systems wired by sparks the lack of uniformity can make my job harder compered to systems wired by heating engineers, even the approach to wiring a S plan can lack the simplicity of a having a wiring centre where all the wires are uniform no matter which heating engineer wired it so that those following him can easily identify what wire does what or not in the event of fault finding.

I'm sure there are aspects of your job that have good working practises and all sparks do it the same way, heating systems have the same good working practises developed by trial and error, the things that are lacking I find are basic but still important ie.. You will notice zone valves are often positioned behind the cylinders or in other positions where access is limited but heating engineers will plumb them in front of a cylinder giving easy access, the other major difference is if I fit a boiler I will start by reading the MI to see how they want the boiler wired to determine the core and if I have to split it taking into account induction and whether the hot water demand is split.

Positioning of room stats is very important in how a overall heating system works but who takes ownership of positioning that room stat and wiring the neutral for the anticipator(when required), this can make a massive difference to the home owner.

I'm not going to pretend it's really difficult er.... I can do it, it's just working in a specific way based on years of doing the same job and being taught by those who spent years also doing the same job.

But anything ye do is based on the ability of the individual which leads to mixed results.

If a electrician wires a heating system it will be fantastic in respect of safety testing but does that same electrician ask himself how has my work impacted on the overall performance of the heating and is there anything I can do to make it better by fitting further electrical controls or sensors usually it's about getting the installation wired and tested then good luck good bye.
    While I appreciate what your saying, I was asking a different question. Where do you see a non electrical heating engineer's work starting and finishing. They would be the best at specing the job and commissioning it. Do they chase wall, drill joists, run conduit and cables and terminated cables.

• Advertisement

So your position is that the domestic electricians are unable to cooperate in the way that the industrial / commercial are.

I'm a domestic gas service engineer I have very little commercial experience it's others who say how well it can work, what I like is the pipework, wiring etc... Is to a higher standard than I see domestically at times.

Also one of the hardiest things about my job is talking to electricians as they can have closed minds on heating wiring and can try to make the boiler work using their idea of how it should be rather than read the manual and wire it as it is but bear in mind I only get called to troublesome jobs and not the ones wired properly.
    Back to my earlier points:
    Policing & enforcement required - Refuse to sign off and report to ECSSA / RECI if this does not work go to CER.

I find nobody really cares it's those who come afterwards who have the job of tiding up, I would like to see the regulating body's enforcing better standards across the board and routing out those who shouldn't be working in a given trade.

You never addressed this:

"Lets see how that would work in reverse:
    I see appalling plumbing standards all of the time.
    If electricians completed a 10 day training course to fix this work and install boilers I think that many plumbers would be very annoyed.
    Obviously the plumbers were not capable as there are numerous leaks in the system and rads are falling off the walls.
    They had their crack at this work already and failed miserably.
    I am not being serious, just playing devil's advocate here.
    But I guess you can see my point?"

Training can be used to improve knowledge in areas a tradesman is already working closely in and not necessarily a green light to do the work their not competent to do.

Also I think sparks who want to wire a heating system should know more, this will make for a better heating system assist and make sure the customer gets what they paid for.
    Maths problem here:

2 weeks is 10 days of training, the RGI course is for plumbers only 10 days long!

In theory plumbers learn enough about heating controls to install them as part of this course. Based on the fact that electricians already have 4 years of electrical training how could it possibly take them longer than the plumbers to learn enough about heating controls to install them? As you said electricians "only require training on the aspects that concern their working environment".

No problem with my maths you asked me a question, I answered it, I'm not here to represent the RGI courses.

Plumbers from my understanding get the same training on heating controls during their apprenticeship as electricians but a plumber will have to answer that as I'm out of my depth on that.

While I appreciate what your saying, I was asking a different question. Where do you see a non electrical heating engineer's work starting and finishing. They would be the best at specing the job and commissioning it. Do they chase wall, drill joists, run conduit and cables and terminated cables.

Forgive me, with the right training yes to all the above but I wouldn't want anybody doing something that they weren't competent in.

A heating engineer is qualified to install all aspects of a heating install.

If your talking about RGIs then they should do as much as their competent to but very very few RGIs choose to wire their own heating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Hortsmann would be my preferred choice.

Wired by a sparks of course.;)

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    Wired by a sparks of course.;)

Advised by a plumber:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

Advised by a plumber:D

do you not mean heating engineer!

Nope, a heating engineer would just fit it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

As a slight aside, but I would expect an engineer to have at least a Level 7 degree, or they should not be calling themselves one.
    That's something I would imagine very few "heating engineers" have.

cast_iron wrote: »
    As a slight aside, but I would expect an engineer to have at least a Level 7 degree, or they should not be calling themselves one.
    That's something I would imagine very few "heating engineers" have.

Wow i'v not heard that before:eek:.

I do love the qualification snobbery that appears when the term engineer is used in this country like people have run out of much more important things to get their knickers in a twist over, I really don't get it:confused:.

I am a blue collar worker:cool: and proud to be so, gas engineer, heating engineer, oil engineer, train engineer, photo copier engineer, telephone engineer, lift engineer there's loads, the idea of going up to one while wagging a finger and needing to mention "your not a real engineers you know" is laughable:pac::pac:.

There's enough spoofers in this country pretending to have qualifications without picking on those who's qualifications you just don't understand.

Er... Just to clarify(for the concerned masses)heating engineers are not the same as engineers who are much much better at spelling, maths and stuff.

Doh....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

the idea of going up to one while wagging a finger and needing to mention "your not a real engineers you know" is laughable:pac::pac:.
    I would agree, but that wasn't my point really.
    There's enough spoofers in this country pretending to have qualifications without picking on those who's qualifications you just don't understand.
    That's more what I mean.
    You get architectural technicians often passing themselves off as architects despite not having done the 5 years in college to become an architect.
    You get the pretty handy handy-man passing himself off as a plumber/electrician despite not having done the 4 year apprenticeship.
    You get the completely unqualified Joe-Soap passing himself off as a painter/mechanic etc despite not an ounce of training.
    You have tv installers calling themselves engineers without a day's training ever.
    Er... Just to clarify(for the concerned masses)heating engineers are not the same as engineers who are much much better at spelling, maths and stuff.
    Very few people give a toss, but that doesn't mean it should be completely ignored. It is a fairly minor point anyway. It does beg the question as to why these people call themselves engineers when generally, they are not, though, does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

the idea of going up to one while wagging a finger and needing to mention "your not a real engineers you know" is laughable

Where do ya get this stuff....gold.

Have you a book "funny sayings bout other trades that don't offend" by Gary.

It does beg the question as to why these people call themselves engineers when generally, they are not, though, does it not?

Really who cares:confused: I call myself a engineer because it's what it said on my City and Guilds trade cert after my four year apprenticeship and 65 million other people understand it quite happily with not a hint of confusion and never a finger wagged.

I never thought twice about the term until I moved to Ireland where I met people like yourself (usually in pubs)who seem to put a lot of effort in to being offended by myself using the term engineer when I don't even have a briefcase:eek.

What we have here is a cultural difference with a lack of any interest in understanding those differences.

Now it's always nice when I meet others who can through dialogue at least have the ability to understand those cultural differences(even if they don't agree) but those who wish to wag a finger can wag off;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

You have summarised there who has the edge and overall compentancy of constructing and completing heating systems, things like exact locations of room stats, the types of ones most are happy with i.e the standard one which is wired with the twin brown t&e but the ones with the anticipator are without question the way to go in terms of energy saving and more accurate temperature control of the room, Shane also mentioned it previously here too.
    Tank stats are another classic one as you say, to have a heating system working to its full potential one needs all these different aspects of the system working 100%.
    The conversation got too cought up in systems having vast mains wiring where in reality systems don't. Many systems that get upgraded often have wireless stats due to it being inpratical to run a service to it. Wiring centres are becoming the focal point in most modern heating systems and low voltage being used in a huge percentage of the installation, more and more auxillary equipment is becoming low voltage to marry together as one package.
    Its 1 - 0 to the plumbers (engineers) here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That's more what I mean.
    You get architectural technicians often passing themselves off as architects despite not having done the 5 years in college to become an architect.
    You get the pretty handy handy-man passing himself off as a plumber/electrician despite not having done the 4 year apprenticeship.
    You get the completely unqualified Joe-Soap passing himself off as a painter/mechanic etc despite not an ounce of training.
    You have tv installers calling themselves engineers without a day's training ever.

Agreed.
    We had a guy come to our office to fix the coffee machine, he called himself an engineer too, I guess he was a "coffee engineer" :D

I would agree that people that have completed the City and Guilds trade cert as part of four year apprenticeship (that Gary did) have the adequate training to do this work.
    However as people with this trade simply do not exist in this country there is no point in pretending that employing these people to do this work is a solution.

Nobody can deny that the standard of plumbing evident is so many Celtic Tiger homes is appalling.
    At present one of the plumbers that contributed to this mess can become a RGI in just 10 days and wire an unlimited amount of heating controls at mains voltage :eek:
    In my view this is madness.
    If they can't plumb a simple home after a four year apprenticeship for the love of God don't let them near electricity!

That is not to say that there are not some excellent plumbers out there, because there are.
    However I imagine that they would take exception to electricians completing a 10 day course and suggesting that they can do aspects plumbing work to a higher standard than plumbers.

My concern is that all trades are being dumbed down.
    The highly skilled "old school" tradesmen are being lost and are not being replaced.
    We have people that are like Swiss Army knives: They can do a little of everything, but nothing right :D
    The result is that we all end up settling for mediocrity with everything.
    There was a time when a home was plumbed in copper piping with soldered joints, now it is badly installed Qualpex thrown around the place with push together joints that leak.
    Woodwork throughout a home was completed by skilled carpenters, now it is completed by labourers using countless tubes of filler.
    Even painting was a trade. There are not many qualified painters anymore and the results are there to be seen.
    People with no real qualifications became builders.
    Regulations ignored everywhere.
    All of this contributed to situations such as Priory Hall.

I never thought twice about the term until I moved to Ireland where I met people like yourself (usually in pubs)who seem to put a lot of effort in to being offended by myself using the term engineer when I don't even have a briefcase

You should not be offended by this.
    IMHO the professionalism and skill required for a tradesman is no less than that required for an engineer.

To me engineers do not work as on their tools as tradesmen, their primary role is generally a technical design role.
    This is not to say that one role is better or more highly skilled than the other, just different.
    Most of my experience has been on large industrial projects in Europe.
    All of the successful projects have the same winning combination, skilled craftsmen completing work that was designed by competent engineers.
    One is useless without the other.
    Successful project delivery requires a coordinated approach from both, not a p!ssing contest :)
    I never thought twice about the term until I moved to Ireland where I met people like yourself (usually in pubs)who seem to put a lot of effort in to being offended by myself using the term engineer when I don't even have a briefcase:eek.

I think you are taking offence to this when it is not intended.
    In the UK there seem to be some sort cuts to getting recognised as qualified in certain trades. We don't have that here so many tend take qualifications a bit more seriously, so for example if someone claims to be a plumber this implies that they have completed all four years of the appropriate apprenticeship and achieved the qualification.

Speaking as a qualified electrician I do not agree when an acquaintance of mine who a self trained satellite TV installer refers to himself as an "electrician".
    I don't say anything, but to me he is misrepresenting himself :)

In some countries where "engineer" is a protected title.
    To refer to oneself as an engineer in these countries without having the required qualifications is would be akin to pretending to be a doctor.
    If you worked with people from these countries you may have a different view.

However as people with this trade simply do not exist in this country there is no point in pretending that employing these people to do this work is a solution.

It only requires training and if you don't wish to have specific training how would you propose meeting the same standard of domestic installs.
    Nobody can deny that the standard of plumbing evident is so many Celtic Tiger homes is appalling.
    At present one of the plumbers that contributed to this mess can become a RGI in just 10 days and wire an unlimited amount of heating controls at mains voltage :eek:
    In my view this is madness.
    If they can't plumb a simple home after a four year apprenticeship for the love of God don't let them near electricity!

A standard should be set and met irrespective of the trade, there are a lot of spoofers in Ireland and with the correct policing of standards they could and should be a thing of the past, to talk about work done by those representing a trade are pointless unless there is quality control on that trade.

Also this is a electrical form where my comments are electrically based come over to the P&H forum for the balance in plumbing bitching:D
    That is not to say that there are not some excellent plumbers out there, because there are.
    However I imagine that they would take exception to electricians completing a 10 day course and suggesting that they can do aspects plumbing work to a higher standard than plumbers.

Do you think a sparks who's had extra training would be a help or hinderance to the plumber?

As for working to a higher standard when it comes to wiring, to say I or any RGI runs, wires and tests cable better than a sparks would be a nonsense, I am not a electrician and more than happy to be the sparks bitch when wiring is concerned but when it comes to domestic heating controls and how they interact with a home and heat source that's where my experience kicks in.

Your argument isn't a representation of what is happening, I don't believe there are many tradesmen who will jump ship and become a apprentice again when they are experts of their own trade, very very few RGIs do their own wiring(when they can if they want to) and I can't see many sparks choosing to plumb.

My concern is that all trades are being dumbed down.
    The highly skilled "old school" tradesmen are being lost and are not being replaced.
    We have people that are like Swiss Army knives: They can do a little of everything, but nothing right :D
    The result is that we all end up settling for mediocrity with everything.
    There was a time when a home was plumbed in copper piping with soldered joints, now it is badly installed Qualpex thrown around the place with push together joints that leak.
    Woodwork throughout a home was completed by skilled carpenters, now it is completed by labourers using countless tubes of filler.
    Even painting was a trade. There are not many qualified painters anymore and the results are there to be seen.
    People with no real qualifications became builders.
    Regulations ignored everywhere.
    All of this contributed to situations such as Priory Hall.

I only work on domestic installations and see a lot of installs and although your generalisation has some merit there are enough good RGIs that any standard set could be met tomorrow as they are already working to a high standard, the Issue with RGIs is the only requirement for a long time to becoming a RGI was a heartbeat and in some cases they didn't even have that:eek:

You should not be offended by this.
    IMHO the professionalism and skill required for a tradesman is no less than that required for an engineer.

I'm not offended, there was a time where people threw their fresh poo at me in a attempt to show their displeasure in me, so I'm perfectly ok with being told I'm not a really a engineer, I just don't know why it's so important to some, don't they have Garth brooks tickets or something to be worrying about.
    To me engineers do not work as on their tools as tradesmen, their primary role is generally a technical design role.
    This is not to say that one role is better or more highly skilled than the other, just different.
    Most of my experience has been on large industrial projects in Europe.
    All of the successful projects have the same winning combination, skilled craftsmen completing work that was designed by competent engineers.
    One is useless without the other.
    Successful project delivery requires a coordinated approach from both, not a p!ssing contest :)

You have that winning combination now and it can produce well plumbed, well wired installations but nobody takes ownership on controllability and performance of the two together.

I think you are taking offence to this when it is not intended.
    In the UK there seem to be some sort cuts to getting recognised as qualified in certain trades. We don't have that here so many tend take qualifications a bit more seriously, so for example if someone claims to be a plumber this implies that they have completed all four years of the appropriate apprenticeship and achieved the qualification.

Errr..... Having engineer in a job title is not a indication of a short cut and are you really telling me as a country ye take qualifications seriously, when ye only require 10 days to do the same job that took me years.

Although you have well trained tradesmen I find this is the land of the spoofers where the more you shout the less you say and being qualified isn't always as important as having a family member or friend who can get you in the door.

You have plumbers trained to a very high standard but that is meaningless as ye keep believing anyone who comes and claims to be a plumber:confused:
    Speaking as a qualified electrician I do not agree when an acquaintance of mine who a self trained satellite TV installer refers to himself as an "electrician".
    I don't say anything, but to me he is misrepresenting himself :)
    And he is that's completely different to a qualified tradesman that has a given title to help identify his trade, this works very successfully in the UK.
    In some countries where "engineer" is a protected title.
    To refer to oneself as an engineer in these countries without having the required qualifications is would be akin to pretending to be a doctor.
    If you worked with people from these countries you may have a different view.

Where not in those countries, where in one where people and ideas are commonly interchanging between here and the UK.

And again who cares.

It only requires training and if you don't wish to have specific training how would you propose meeting the same standard of domestic installs.

I agree with you 100%
    But if the decision is to solve this problem by training people to have you qualification it will take too long as your apprentiship is 4 years.
    By your own estimation it takes one to two weeks to train an electrician to wire the controls.
    So let's be honest here, a four year C & G qualification is not a viable solution in the short term.
    I would agree that it is the best long term solution, but to be honest I don't see it happening.
    If I wanted a boiler installed you would be the first person I would contact.
    Do you think a sparks who's had extra training would be a help or hinderance to the plumber?

If sparks had training that resulted in them doing plumbing work and suggesting that they were doing it to a higher standard than plumber I think cooperation would suffer.

If the sparks had training that meant that the electrical controls complement the heating install then it could only be a positive.
    As for working to a higher standard when it comes to wiring, to say I or any RGI runs, wires and tests cable better than a sparks would be a nonsense

Agreed.
    when it comes to domestic heating controls and how they interact with a home and heat source that's where my experience kicks in.

Again we are back to you and not RGIs.
    I have no doubt that you can do this but we do not have people with this qualification in Ireland.
    Your argument isn't a representation of what is happening, I don't believe there are many tradesmen who will jump ship and become a apprentice again when they are experts of their own trade

I agree and never suggested otherwise.
    the Issue with RGIs is the only requirement for a long time to becoming a RGI was a heartbeat and in some cases they didn't even have that:eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Even I would not go that far, but you have made my argument by this statement alone.
    Why would you want a person to carry out electrical work at a lethal voltage if they are as poorly trained as you suggest?
    My argument has never been about people with your level of training doing this work.

I'm perfectly ok with being told I'm not a really a engineer, I just don't know why it's so important to some

An engineer that I know has a masters and is now studying for a PhD was a bit but out by the gentleman that was fixing the coffee machine referring to himself as an engineer :)
    Can you see why?
    I just thought it was a little sad, but would not make a big deal about it.
    I guess it is the same feeling you get if you are told you are no more qualified than a RGI.
    But as you say, who cares?
    You have that winning combination now and it can produce well plumbed, well wired installations but nobody takes ownership on controllability and performance of the two together.

In industrial projects we have engineers and crafts and very complex heating systems.
    Engineers design, coordinate, programme, and commission.
    Crafts in the form of fitters, electricians and instrumentation technicians install and assist with commissioning.

Guess what? It works!
    Errr..... Having engineer in a job title is not a indication of a short cut

You have misread my post.
    I am not suggesting that a four year apprenticeship is a short cut.
    I am suggesting that working as an electrician without having completed a four year apprenticeship is.
    You mentioned to me that in the UK there was an equivalent qualification to that of an electrician and I explained that in Ireland there is no equivalent. It takes us four years, no short cuts.
    are you really telling me as a country ye take qualifications seriously, when ye only require 10 days to do the same job that took me years.

No I am not.
    I have consistently told you in this thread that there is no comparison between your qualification and the RGI qualification.
    My position has remained unchanged.
    Although you have well trained tradesmen I find this is the land of the spoofers where the more you shout the less you say and being qualified isn't always as important as having a family member or friend who can get you in the door.

That has not been my experience.
    Perhaps there was a time when knowing the right person could open doors, but in these difficult times few companies can afford to employ a person just because off their connections.

All of the engineers that I have worked with or under (I have been in this game full time since 1990) have been a minimum of degree qualified.

You have plumbers trained to a very high standard but that is meaningless as ye keep believing anyone who comes and claims to be a plumber:confused:
    Where not in those countries

....and we are not in the UK either.
    We are in Ireland, a country that does not have people with your qualification regardless of what you call it, so it is not a solution and regardless of what we do it will not be a solution in the near future either.

But we are in a country where "chartered engineer" is a protected title and due to the fact that the term engineer has been diluted so much many engineers are now applying for chartered status.

I agree with you 100%
    But if the decision is to solve this problem by training people to have you qualification it will take too long as your apprentiship is 4 years.
    By your own estimation it takes one to two weeks to train an electrician to wire the controls.
    So let's be honest here, a four year C & G qualification is not a viable solution in the short term.
    I would agree that it is the best long term solution, but to be honest I don't see it happening.

It's common for trades in the UK to go to night school for a year or two to archive real qualifications.

As I have a understanding of the skill set required to achieve better installs, with the right training it wouldn't take a plumber four years to up skill.

Your right It wouldn't take long for a sparks to learn from a decent controls course which I feel will happen by 2016.

Why would you want a person to carry out electrical work at a lethal voltage if they are as poorly trained as you suggest?

I wouldn't but your missing the point that there are lots of competent RGIs who are judged by the work of others.

I wouldn't but your missing the point that there are lots of competent RGIs who are judged by the work of others.

So now you agree that these particular RGIs should not be wiring heating controls.
    This means that finally we are in complete agreement. :)

It is a long way from your previous position which was:
    As a heating engineer I think only RGIs should be wiring heating systems
    As stated by you earlier in the thread here.
    This would have meant that even the best of electricians would not be permitted to wire heating controls.
    I see this as a major shift in from your initial position.

I am still can't get over this remark of yours:
    the Issue with RGIs is the only requirement for a long time to becoming a RGI was a heartbeat and in some cases they didn't even have that

Personally I think it is too harsh, but I admit that boiler installation is more your area of expertise than mine so I won't argue.

By the way this is the short cut to working as an electrician that I was referring to.
    As previously stated this short cut does not exist in Ireland and rightly so in my opinion.

Now that we agree, lets call it a day :)

An engineer that I know has a masters and is now studying for a PhD was a bit but out by the gentleman that was fixing the coffee machine referring to himself as an engineer :)
    Can you see why?
    I just thought it was a little sad, but would not make a big deal about it.
    I guess it is the same feeling you get if you are told you are no more qualified than a RGI.
    But as you say, who cares?
    I fully appreciate that the use of the word engineer could annoy a real engineer, but it's my given job title and I have no control over it, it's the accepted norm in the UK, I don't think any blue collar work believes they're misrepresenting themselves when they have the term engineer in their job title.

In industrial projects we have engineers and crafts and very complex heating systems.
    Engineers design, coordinate, programme, and commission.
    Crafts in the form of fitters, electricians and instrumentation technicians install and assist with commissioning.

Guess what? It works!

Again I am happy it works but domestically it doesn't.
    I am not suggesting that a four year apprenticeship is a short cut.
    I am suggesting that working as an electrician without having completed a four year apprenticeship is.
    You mentioned to me that in the UK there was an equivalent qualification to that of an electrician and I explained that in Ireland there is no equivalent. It takes us four years, no short cuts.

Forgive me:o but that's the joy of text:D

No I am not.
    I have consistently told you in this thread that there is no comparison between your qualification and the RGI qualification.
    My position has remained unchanged.
    See above

That has not been my experience.
    Perhaps there was a time when knowing the right person could open doors, but in these difficult times few companies can afford to employ a person just because off their connections.

All of the engineers that I have worked with or under (I have been in this game full time since 1990) have been a minimum of degree qualified.

I meet a lot of spoofers in the gas industry from the RGI who has all the gear and no idea but talks a good game to those further up who are more interested in their own sound bites than improving standards but that's for a different thread and I'd have to change my name.

Nobody ever checks to see if the tradesman coming in the door is really qualified, what's the point of having highly trained plumbers who are all singing, all dancing if anybody and their mother is allowed to do plumbing.

....and we are not in the UK either.
    We are in Ireland, a country that does not have people with your qualification regardless of what you call it, so it is not a solution and regardless of what we do it will not be a solution in the near future either.
    No but should me living here cause such a stir when I use the "E" word.
    But we are in a country where "chartered engineer" is a protected title and due to the fact that the term engineer has been diluted so much many engineers are now applying for chartered status.
    I can understand that I'm sure they must be very fed up getting phone calls all the time from people with broken coffee machines :D

Now for the sake of all the sparks who've had enough of me I'll drop out:D

• Advertisement

Now for the sake of all the sparks who've had enough of me I'll drop out:D

Go in peace my son, you have been forgiven for your sins once you say three Hail Marys :D

Advertisement