Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating controls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gary71 wrote: »
    Yes as it's my industry standard not to require a IR test.

As a professional engineer working with a methane (a Group IIA gas) and a lethal voltage (230VAC) you no doubt you have an in-depth understanding of all aspects of heating controls and therefore can rationalise why it is the "industry standard" (not to carry out an insulation resistance test on these cables). Please explain this to me.

With your training I am sure you a better reason not to carry out these tests other than simply copying what others do and referring to it as an industry standard. I am of course referring to installations were there are extensive heating controls.

Personally I can see no logical reason that these cables should be exempt from any of the electrical tests that the cables for the sockets, lights and cooker circuits are subjected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Bruthal wrote: »
    So you believe if a drill works in a socket, that that socket is properly installed?

I never said that is my approach to testing, dont be twisting my posts now please.
    No surprise then that you wouldn't think tests needed on a heating circuit, once it works...

irrelevant due to you twisting words.

2011 wrote: »
    This is not a sound argument for not carrying out tests.
    If something were to go horribly wrong do you think a judge would accept that as an answer?

I cannot interpret your post, I don't know what you want me to answer here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I never said that is my approach to testing, dont be twisting my posts now please.

irrelevant due to you twisting words.

I asked you if 99 percent don't do tests, and one percent do, who is correct.

You reply saying if lights and sockets work, then the 99 percent are correct.

No twisting there.

Edit: I see you said the 990 think they are correct.

However, that was no what I asked.

I asked who is correct......

I asked you if 99 percent don't do tests, and one percent do, who is correct.

You reply saying if lights and sockets work, then the 99 percent are correct.

No twisting there.

I answered you in relation to the people who do not do electrical testing, i think you will find you are twisting my words.

• Advertisement

I answered you in relation to the people who do not do electrical testing, i think you will find you are twisting my words.

Yes I mis-read your reply,,, but you did not actually answer what was asked.

I asked who is correct.

I did not ask who thinks they are correct.

A fair "twist" in your answer in fairness.

I asked who is correct.

What is your definition of correct?

What is your definition of correct?

You said in an earlier post that if I'm not 100 percent sure a cable I pulled in is undamaged, I should improve my installation methods.

This again suggested you feel above the need for testing. And again shows why you agree with no need of testing.

So your definition of "correct" differs from mine.

You said in an earlier post that if I'm not 100 percent sure a cable I pulled in is undamaged, I should improve my installation methods.

This again suggested you feel above the need for testing. And again shows why you agree with no need of testing.

Right ok lets establish an example. To wire a shower in a bungalow, open attic pull cable across top of joices, terminate into fb and dp switch and shower. Do you think its necessary to do an ir test on this?
    So your definition of "correct" differs from mine.

Give me your definition of correct?

How many have you heard of in a full house wiring job?
    Are you suggesting then that no ir tests are needed in a full wiring job?

I'v wired lots of heating installations and certified them to a given standard, I am happy the installation were safe.

To argue against extra testing would make me look a dick, I don't think it would be a hardship for me or any heating engineer If IR testing was obligatory.
    I don't think I ever seen a problem show in meggaring of domestic circuits. I have in industrial though.

So that means domestic ir tests are not needed so.

That's what the CER say in the case of domestic gas heating wiring.

• Advertisement

Right ok lets establish an example. To wire a shower in a bungalow, open attic pull cable across top of joices, terminate into fb and dp switch and shower. Do you think its necessary to do an ir test on this?
    Well clearly you don't.

But its probably not necessary on 99 percent of occasions. But that's only known after the test shows its clear.

I test to confirm stuff, not because the law says this or that.
    Give me your definition of correct?

1 + 1 = 3.....incorrect
    1 + 1 = 2 ...correct

Well clearly you don't.

Where did i say for a shower installation i dont do an ir test? Is there any point having a debate with you since you think your one step above the law?

Where did i say for a shower installation i dont do an ir test?
    Where did I say you don't test them?????? You are getting confused there.
    Is there any point having a debate with you since you think your one step above the law?
    Any chance of showing where I suggest I'm above the law? breaking a law doesn't mean you think your above the law

Where did I say you don't test them?????? You are getting confused there.

breaking a law doesn't mean you think your above the law

You suggested it.
    Any chance of showing where I suggest I'm above the law?

You said you connected into your own fuseboard, you broke the law here, your quote.
    I connected my shed to dB a few months ago, and lost no sleep about it.

Unless there is a huge twist and you say you are a rec.

As a professional engineer working with a methane (a Group IIA gas) and a lethal voltage (230VAC) you no doubt you have an in-depth understanding of all aspects of heating controls and therefore can rationalise why it is the "industry standard" (not to carry out an insulation resistance test on these cables). Please explain this to me.

Doing a IP test was never part of the requirement for domestic heating wiring and for many years I was happy my wiring installs were safe but since the introduction of Part P(UK) and heating engineers/plumbers now carrying meggers as a given I'm sure it'll become more common place.

I worked in a environment that's heavily scrutinised especially in the UK.

When a incident occurs the powers that be respond very quickly to investigate the reasons for the incident they then publish their findings and as gas fitters we are informed also any findings are quickly adapted into British standards or gas regs.

I am happy to work to standards that are that in depth and I believe if the lack of a IP test resulted in a incident of any kind IP testing would be mandatory pretty much over night in the UK
    With your training I am sure you a better reason not to carry out these tests other than simply copying what others do and referring to it as an industry standard. I am of course referring to installations were there are extensive heating controls.

Personally I can see no logical reason that these cables should be exempt from any of the electrical tests that the cables for the sockets, lights and cooker circuits are subjected to.

Although RGIs can wire large installation I know of very very few that will do it, it is left to the sparks, the argument about RGIis wiring big installs is similar to the argument made by plumbers complaining about sparks becoming RGIs and taking their work,in reality very very few sparks become RGIs and it's hardly worth mentioning.

In general I find 2/3 zone S plans are 90% of what is being wired and most of those by sparks.

If I was wiring heating system today I would properly use a megger as I like gizmo gadgets but that doesn't mean that the years of working without one left a installation any less safe.

You suggested it.
    Not even close. You asked if I thought it test was necessary on shower circuit. I said clearly you don't.......you know,,,,, clearly you don't think it necessary.

You said you connected into your own fuseboard, you broke the law here, your quote.

Unless there is a huge twist and you say you are a rec.

Yes I connected into my own dB. Ever break a law yourself?

I'm guessing no, never ever:)

You're clutching at straws now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I cannot interpret your post, I don't know what you want me to answer here?

Ok, I will try to provide a clearer reply to this post:
    In the last certification and verfication course i did of the 15 contractors 5 of them had dead batteries in their meters, others had not all the leads. I can safetly say if half REC do testing it is a believable figure.
    And as for them being qualified well of the 15 that day 2 of them have no electrical qualifications what so ever.

I am disappointed by this but not surprised.

However this changes nothing, for those that behave in a professional manner.
    You will find that professional consientious trades people will still follow best practice regardless of what others do.

Although many do not test an electrical installation properly (or in some cases at all) this will be of no benefit to a defendant in court if a situation were to "go legal".

Yes, and record it on the test record sheet.
    This value should be checked against Table 61A in ET101:2008
    Have a look at slide 39 on this link:

http://www.airm.ie/system/download_images/44/original/Electrical%20safety%20-%20RECI%20presentation.pdf?1358438070

Example of a test record sheet is on slide 55.

Yes I connected into my own dB. Ever break a law yourself?

I'm guessing no, never ever:)

Not a law relevant to electrical or gas works, keep relevant here.
    You're clutching at straws now.

I dont think so.

Like I said earlier you are carrying a chip on your shoulder and you should embrace the cer with it.

Not a law relevant to electrical or gas works, keep relevant here.
    O but it is relevant. You based part of you're argument on my being "above the law".

So if you are using that as a basis for debate etc, then show me that you have broken no laws, because if you have, then by you're own criteria, you do think you are above the law. You can't just specify one law, and say the rest are OK to break.

I dont think so.
    Yea, I broke a law, there for you can't continue debate.

O yes, Arthur also broke laws, but not electrical ones, = grasping at straws.
    Like I said earlier you are carrying a chip on your shoulder
    Once the cer didn't say it, I'm OK though:)
    and you should embrace the cer with it.
    I think you should have a go at thinking independently for yourself.

• Advertisement

O but it is relevant. You based part of you're argument on my being "above the law".

So if you are using that as a basis for debate etc, then show me that you have broken no laws, because if you have, then by you're own criteria, you do think you are above the law. You can't just specify one law, and say the rest are OK to break.

I was referring to law breaking in electrical terms, if we were posting in the motors section about drink driving the law of drink driving would be relevant there.
    Its none of my business or your business what other laws we may or may not have broken in other aspects of law. Keep relevant to the point and topic. If you are going to keep going off topic this conversation is pointless.
    I think you should have a go at thinking independently for yourself.

At law breaking is it, don't fancy having a criminal record thanks.

MOD WARNING

So far no posts on this thread have been edited or deleted (apart from an accidental duplicate post).
    I want it to continue that way so please do not get personal and keep it civil.
    Thanks.

I was referring to law breaking in electrical terms, if we were posting in the motors section about drink driving the law of drink driving would be relevant there.
    If you accuse someone who drank and drove home, of thinking they are above the law, then your own law breaking activities would be fair game for examination.
    Its none of my business or your business what other laws we may or may not have broken in other aspects of law.
    Yes o great law abiding arthur.
    Keep relevant to the point and topic. If you are going to keep going off topic this conversation is pointless.
    You brought my connecting a cable into the dB as rendering me into believing I'm above the law. But the truth is, you will do the same if the need arises. But you can lie here of course. Plenty on boards talk unrealistic bs simply to try to strengthen their point.

You believe heating 230v heating control wiring should be exempt from testing.
    I believe it is as much a part of house wiring as any other 230v circuit wiring.

Dress it up how you like.

MOD WARNING

So far no posts on this thread have been edited or deleted (apart from an accidental duplicate post).
    I want it to continue that way so please do not get personal and keep it civil.
    Thanks.
    I'm out anyway, so its grand now.

So I'll leave it at that.

This post suggests to me that you do not realise that to comply with ET101 this test must be carried out on all final circuits before they are energised.
    This is captured in section 613 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations.
    Doing a IP test was never part of the requirement for domestic heating wiring and for many years I was happy my wiring installs were safe but since the introduction of Part P(UK) and heating engineers/plumbers now carrying meggers as a given I'm sure it'll become more common place.

I assume that you mean IR (as in Insulation Resistance) test and not IP.
    As we are in Ireland Registered Electrical Contractors are obliged to comply with ET101:2008

To comply with these rules an REC would carry out the following tests/ checks on all final circuits electrical installation:

● Continuity of bonding conductors
    ● Insulation resistance test
    ● Continuity of final ring circuits
    ● Separation of circuits (SELV / PELV) - Often referred to as segregation
    ● Earthing & equipotential bonding checks
    ● Polarity checks and phase rotation (when applicable)
    ● Volt drop
    ● Earth fault loop impedance test
    ● Verification of operation of RCDs

I would be interested in knowing which of the above tests do RGIs are obliged carry out (if any)?
    I worked in a environment that's heavily scrutinised especially in the UK.

Your experience working in the UK and the course you completed is not relevant (no offence intended) to the discussion about RGI wiring heating controls.
    This is personalising the debate.
    I am sure you can do a great job (although I disagree with you for not carrying out an IR test) because your qualification is superior to the minimum qualification that is required to become an RGI.
    This is about RGIs wiring heating controls in Ireland and carrying out less tests (if any) than what are expected from a Registered Electrical Contractor.
    I am happy to work to standards that are that in depth and I believe if the lack of a IP test resulted in a incident of any kind IP testing would be mandatory pretty much over night in the UK

Any experienced electrician with testing experience will tell you that they have experienced cables failing an insulation resistance test. It is impossible to calculate how may incidents / accidents have been prevented by this test being carried out. In some cases a failure in the integrity of the insulation may cause a fire or cause a problem many years later. There have been plenty of electrical fires over the years and I think it would be fair to say that some would not have happened if all of the electrical tests were carried out.

I would love to know: Which insulation tests do you think should be carried out in a domestic electrical installation and why?

How can you be confident that nobody on site will ever damage your cabling?
    Over 99% of the time it will probably be ok, but is that enough for you?
    Although RGIs can wire large installation I know of very very few that will do it, it is left to the sparks

That is not the point.
    The point is that I strongly disagree with is this remark that you made:

As a heating engineer I think only RGIs should be wiring heating systems not because i'v a inbuilt hatred for sparks but if one person does the job then over time you learn how the controls interact with each other and become better at designing a heating system that will get the best out of the plumbing and wiring.

It now appears from what you are saying that RGIs are not expected to test the electrical work that they do to the same level that we know an REC is expected to.
    Are they expected to do any electrical tests at all?
    the argument about RGIis wiring big installs is similar to the argument made by plumbers complaining about sparks becoming RGIs and taking their work,in reality very very few sparks become RGIs and it's hardly worth mentioning.

Not really a fair comparison, the difference is no electrician has gone onto the plumbing and suggested this (this idea has not even been floated on the electrical forum).
    I would consider this to be a very provocative action but perhaps not as provocative as posting this on an electrical forum :D:
    Forgive me I meant Part L, Part P is for the UK and allows plumbers to transfer their skills to work as electricians as it's easy to train up plumbers to be sparks.

In Ireland there is no shortcut to becoming a qualified electrician.
    Despite the issues we admittedly have with some cowboy electricians Ireland produces some world class electricians. As a country we punch above our weight in the World Skills Competition on a regular basis. I have seen evidence of the ability of Irish electricians when I worked abroad on very large E & I projects and all/most of the senior staff were irish sparks.
    It will take a plumber that wants to qualify as an electrician four years to qualify, and rightly so. The inverse also applies.
    The parallels with plumbing are so minimal that they are almost irrelevant.
    The most useful transferable skill that I can think of coney comes into play when installing steel conduit.

As I have already acknowledged I agree with you that many electricians do not wire heating controls properly and training in this area would be very beneficial. Like many on this forum I disagree strongly with self certification and I have been disappointed by RECI inspectors and RECs ignoring ET101 when it suits. That does not mean that the solution is to get RGIs to wire heating controls.

I would have no issue with an RGI:
    1) Instructing an electrician how the heating system should function.
    2) Commissioning the entire heating system including testing the controls.
    3) Refusing to sign off on a system on the basis that the electrical controls are not installed correctly.

These trades need to work more closely together.

This post suggests to me that you do not realise that to comply with ET101 this test must be carried out on all final circuits before they are energised.
    This is captured in section 613 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations.

You made a post earlier saying and i quote,
    For me it is when it is not possible to visually inspect all of the cable

In my example you can see all the cable, i get the suggestion that you do not realise that to comply with ET101 this test must be carried out on all final circuits before they are energised either.

You made a post earlier saying and i quote,
    For me it is when it is not possible to visually inspect all of the cable
    (In reference to not carrying out an IR test)

Out of context, it was in response to your reply to my previous post #182 which was:
    I'm sure you worked out that my point is that the cabling can be hundreds of meters in some cases regardless of how you name the components
    So faced with a situation such as I have described would you carry out an IR test on not?

I did however provide an example of a cable that I would not see the need for an IR test on in post #178 :
    Let me put it his way, if you can you put forward an argument for not carrying out an insulation resistance test on cabling then perhaps it is not required.
    An example would be the flex to a motorised valve, why? Because it is 6" long, you can clearly see that there is no damage on the cable, it is brand new, double insulated and CE marked.

I assume that you mean IR (as in Insulation Resistance) test and not IP.
    As we are in Ireland Registered Electrical Contractors are obliged to comply with ET101:2008

I do
    I would be interested in knowing which of the above tests do RGIs are obliged carry out (if any)?

Appliance specific and including external controls:

Resistance to earth:
    Earth continuity test:
    Short circuit
    Mains voltage and polarity tests
    Your experience working in the UK and the course you completed is not relevant (no offence intended) to the discussion about RGI wiring heating controls.
    This is personalising the debate.
    I am sure you can do a great job (although I disagree with you for not carrying out an IR test) because your qualification is superior to the minimum qualification that is required to become an RGI.
    This is about RGIs wiring heating controls in Ireland and carrying out less tests (if any) than what are expected from a Registered Electrical Contractor.

RGI work and certify their own work as per the CER.

I would love to know: Which insulation tests do you think should be carried out in a domestic electrical installation and why?

How can you be confident that nobody on site will ever damage your cabling?
    Over 99% of the time it will probably be ok, but is that enough for you?

I have been involved in domestic heating wiring all my working life I am happy the installs I did and any rewires were safe, I also worked for British Gas that employed thousands of gas engineers like myself so working in a environment where safety was paramount I am happy if not doing a IR test resulted in a issue my working practises would of changed over night.

Now I know a bit more I would be happy to see IR testing of heating wiring as a given but at the moment the CER don't see a need for it and your own electricians don't do it very often( i'v never seen it done)
    That is not the point.
    The point is that I strongly disagree with is this remark that you made:

As a heating engineer I think only RGIs should be wiring heating systems not because i'v a inbuilt hatred for sparks but if one person does the job then over time you learn how the controls interact with each other and become better at designing a heating system that will get the best out of the plumbing and wiring.

If you're job was to follow up on heating installation issues you would understand why that comment was made, electricians in general don't take ownership of heating as it's not their cert, how does a sparks learn how heating controls interact if they don't understand heating, a heating engineer learns from trial and error what works best and where to poisition it, how many electricians understand they are putting lives at risk(depending on the boiler) by putting 230v on the auxiliary or bringing a switch live back to the boiler instead of using the 230v from the other side of the link in the boiler.

I think by not understand heating control or the individual characteristics of boilers right now is a bigger issue due to the problems it causes than the very very RGIs not doing a IR test.

Not really a fair comparison, the difference is no electrician has gone onto the plumbing and suggested this (this idea has not even been floated on the electrical forum).
    I would consider this to be a very provocative action but perhaps not as provocative as posting this on an electrical forum :D:

Forgive me, it was more of a indication that the level of complaints raised may sometimes not match the reality of the situation at hand ie very few RGIs are or want to or will ever do wiring.
    In Ireland there is no shortcut to becoming a qualified electrician.
    Despite the issues we admittedly have with some cowboy electricians Ireland produces some world class electricians. As a country we punch above our weight in the World Skills Competition on a regular basis. I have seen evidence of the ability of Irish electricians when I worked abroad on very large E & I projects and all/most of the senior staff were irish sparks.
    It will take a plumber that wants to qualify as an electrician four years to qualify, and rightly so. The inverse also applies.
    The parallels with plumbing are so minimal that they are almost irrelevant.
    The most useful transferable skill that I can think of coney comes into play when installing steel conduit.

Your understanding of plumbing and gas fitting has you at a disadvantage, it is well known and fairly evident that having a similar mindset allows plumbers(or electricians with grasping heating design) to grasp the principles of electrical testing or design quite quickly when the training incorporates already used testing procesdures

If you have a understanding of logic and work in a technical environment learning new skills isn't rocket science.

Also are you aware that electricans don't even have good working practise for the most basic of electrical components, the switchable fused spur is always wired as the starting point of a installation and is sited within arms length of the appliance, the position and type of spur is dependant on each electrican and I give a big thumbs up to those electricians who go to the effort of doing it right, thank you.

As I have already acknowledged I agree with you that many electricians do not wire heating controls properly and training in this area would be very beneficial. Like many on this forum I disagree strongly with self certification and I have been disappointed by RECI inspectors and RECs ignoring ET101 when it suits. That does not mean that the solution is to get RGIs to wire heating controls.

I would have no issue with an RGI:
    1) Instructing an electrician how the heating system should function.
    2) Commissioning the entire heating system including testing the controls.
    3) Refusing to sign off on a system on the basis that the electrical controls are not installed correctly.

These trades need to work more closely together.

Training, training and more training.

Understanding gas boilers and their funkiness isn't rocket science, electricians have transferable skills and could be made to sit a competency paper to prove they understand what their wiring and how to get the most out of the installation.

Right now it isn't working and no one is interested in fixing it, what's the point of having all the gear if you have no idea, why does the idea of RGI doing wiring generate more posts than the level of wiring being done right now, the OPs wiring problems are not unique I'm sorry to say.

I am more than happy for sparks to wire but my wish for one trade to install domestic heating is purely to do away with the day to day problems I incounter which at times is pure silliness, what's the point in having high end boilers with state if the art controllability if it's wired like we're in the 60s?

I got called to a big site a few years ago where there was agro between the sparks and the plumbers, I turned out and found nether side were talking but were ready to throw a few shapes, the problem was no hot water, the spark said "I wired it right it's not my problem" the plumbers said "I plumbed it right it's not my problem" it turned out there was air in the coil and that was the problem, so again I will my point isn't about only RGIs should wire it's about what will it take to get the quality of heating installs people I paying for and from my own experience it's much easyier to train a plumber to check his wires than to train a electrican to pipe a heating system.

Right I think I'll leave it there I do have a personal(albeit boring) agenda which is trying to improve heating wiring design and controllability so I don't want to take up any more of your forum, but one more thing if in doubt ring the manufactures you'll find us more than happy to give a sparks a dig out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I do

Appliance specific and including external controls:

Resistance to earth:
    Earth continuity test:
    Short circuit
    Mains voltage and polarity tests
    are those tests from the from the boiler fault finder webpage

those tests are a joke

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I do

Also are you aware that electricans don't even have good working practise for the most basic of electrical components, the switchable fused spur is always wired as the starting point of a installation and is sited within arms length of the appliance, the position and type of spur is dependant on each electrican and I give a big thumbs up to those electricians who go to the effort of doing it right, thank you.

and have you got a link for that?

you made this claim before and weren't able to back it up with any facts

i have worked on all types of heating systems sporadically

and i'm not aware of any regulation that says a fused spur beside the boiler must be the starting point of the heating installation

Advertisement