Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News - Steven Colvert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Just completed a law degree, so he must be book smart at very least..

As others have said, better off walking away and getting on with his life IMHO

Funnily enough two of our most high profile dopers also have law degrees!

He does seem adamant that there was some sort of mistake/mix up. Regards the DNA test, I can't imagine that it should be too expensive. Surely he could offer to pay for that to be done if the authorities refuse to pay the cost themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Regards the DNA test, I can't imagine that it should be too expensive. Surely he could offer to pay for that to be done if the authorities refuse to pay the cost themselves

From google
    Urine is not considered an ideal source of DNA due to the low concentration of nucleated cells present in human urine. The nucleated cells found in urine are typically white blood cells and epithelial cells. There are large differences between the amount of epithelial cells present in male and female urine.

emerald007 wrote: »
    From google

May not be an ideal source but is still useable. There are even specific DNA purification kits available so it should be routine enough! Worse case is they don't manage to extract any DNA.

Colvert will be on today fm with Matt cooper in a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Colvert will be on today fm with Matt cooper in a minute.

Know very little about this athlete or this case, but that interview was very unconvincing.

I would have assumed that someone on national radio proclaiming their innocence after a failed drug test would sound a little bit more emotionally engaged and passionate.

Perhaps he was nervous but his constant mantra of 'dopers are naughty' was pretty lame imho

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »

Perhaps he was nervous but his constant mantra of 'dopers are naughty' was pretty lame imho

Wasn't great from either side. Cooper's research team obviously hand't done their homework and Colvert didn't exactly explain what the perceived anomaly was!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It was a bizzare few minutes of radio.....sounded like a very awkward blind date where neither party knew what to say or what exactly they wanted at the end of it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/i-felt-let-down-by-the-system-it-put-me-in-a-bad-place-a-very-bad-place-irish-sprinter-says-doping-system-is-a-farce-35126629.html

Interesting development in this case.

Edit : can't post links, can someone fix please?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If he is found to be not guilty and the system is flawed, he will take them to the cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Murph_D wrote: »
    For what it's worth. The thrust of the Newsweek article, as I understand it, seems to be that a scientist used a 'subjective' interpretation of an initial test to justify doing a second test, which produced more damning results.

The idea that WADA can effectively say that we're the experts and no one else can verify our findings because they're not experts is deeply worrying. Mostly though, it seems that if Colvert had had enough money he would probably have been able to successfully challenge this ban. If money is the determining factor as to whether someone gets a ban or not we're in a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The idea that someone can stand in front of a disciplinary panel and say "...that Colvert’s emphatic denials of ever having taken banned performance-enhancing drugs were evidence of his guilt" is completely absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

EPO doesn't really make sense for a sprinter, maybe as a recovery aid(??).

His best path would be to sue the sports council if his evidence is better than the testers. Balance of probability would win the case, if it's beyond doubt he could sue for lost earnings, damages defamation etc. Going on radio won't do anything for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

EPO doesn't really make sense for a sprinter, maybe as a recovery aid(??).

His best path would be to sue the sports council if his evidence is better than the testers. Balance of probability would win the case, if it's beyond doubt he could sue for lost earnings, damages defamation etc. Going on radio won't do anything for him.

EPO would definitely help for sprinters in winter. Doesn't make a lot of sense to be taking it in summer though, which was when he tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Steven Colvert interview on Newstalk's Off The Ball now

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Liamo51

He's a victim of poor testing standards. Should never have been banned. Not enough evidence. Miscarriage of justice. How many more have been victimised by WADA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Doped,got caught,grasped at straws and blames the system:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

johnruns wrote: »

Have you read the news?

johnruns wrote: »

I hope you"ll be man enough to apogise from your cowardly anonimity when it is proved inconclusively that he is totally innocent. I hope you never find yourself in the nightmare that he has. Have a wonderful life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Liamo51 wrote: »
    I hope you"ll be man enough to apogise from your cowardly anonimity when it is proved inconclusively that he is totally innocent. I hope you never find yourself in the nightmare that he has. Have a wonderful life.

No problem with any of that,when is his appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I hope you"ll be man enough to apogise from your cowardly anonimity when it is proved inconclusively that he is totally innocent. .

Unfortunately that is the problem - it will always be inconclusive as the original samples are not longer available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

Clearlier wrote: »
    The idea that WADA can effectively say that we're the experts
    I would have expected that WADA would have a requirement, for a positive test result to be given, is that it must be beyond a reasonable doubt so as to ensure that innocent athletes are not failed. The articles referenced in an earlier posting suggest that the positive test result included subjectivity and inconsistency rather than absolutely clear evidence from the samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

This study sounds rather worrying for an accepted test carried out by accredited labs :eek:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080626100921.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

There's definitely something wrong here. I know nothing about doping but I am a scientist who has performed some of those tests before and I'm stunned by those two papers.
    There was a huge discrepancy between the two tests performed yet it was never flagged. A large volume of urine is unaccounted for which means the tests can't be repeated and the lab claim they can't supply the original gel photos! Any molecular biology student knows you have to keep the original photos as software can totally change the results.
    The accreditation sounds like a mess too. If two labs can't get the same results then there's something seriously wrong with the technique or the labs.
    It's an awful shame that an athletes career can be ruined by bad science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This being covered quite prominently in LetsRun.com

http://www.letsrun.com/

At a time when our sports administrators are under a serious cloud, it would be a good time for the Sports Council to act swiftly and re-examine this case; instead of just keeping the head down and hoping it goes away.

It is not going away. He is innocent and was abandoned by Ath. Ireland and the Sports Council to fight this on his own.I hope they keep away from him now when he proves the system wrong and not be playing heroes in the media with their pin striped suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It is not going away. He is innocent and was abandoned by Ath. Ireland and the Sports Council to fight this on his own.I hope they keep away from him now when he proves the system wrong and not be playing heroes in the media with their pin striped suits.

Will he return to running after it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Interesting article about this case by sports scientist Ross Tucker:

http://sportsscientists.com/2016/10/steven-colvert-case-anti-doping-quality-control/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I suspect that the difficulty with revisiting (and hence the reluctance to revisit) the Steven Colvert case is not his case in particular but the broader ramifications it would have for other positive tests.

I simply don't know what the ramifications are but if there are any then I imagine that would cause the doping authorities to hesitate to investigate the Norwegian analysis. That's not right of course but it might help if you're seeking to understand why his case hasn't quickly been re-opened.

Advertisement