Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News - Steven Colvert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

drquirky wrote: »
    I will point out- if he wasn't Irish and was say....American- he would be getting crucified already on this thread.

MERICA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I think that may be based on your browser search history. Doesn't show in my browser. ;)
    You should probably run some anti-spyware/advert tools.

No I informed them and they fixed it.
    That my story and I'm sticking to it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

rom wrote: »
    Michelle Smith
    Cathal Lombard

How about this for a name: Straw Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I will point out- if he wasn't Irish and was say....American- he would be getting crucified already on this thread.

Agreed there does always seem to be a tendency to give more of a benefit of the doubt when it comes to athletes of your home country which is quite hypocritical, however there is a recent enough precedence in Gareth Turnbull to perhaps allow people to reserve right of judgement until it has been further investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

True that. I think the fact that people may know him, see him around etc makes him more visible to us, leading to more benefit of doubt being given initially. Not saying this is right or wrong, just sort of how it goes.

An American living in America caught wind of this story, and posted the link on my Facebook, assuming pure guilt already, so it works both ways. He told me to stop talking about my opinions of systematic doping in Spain, Turkey etc until we Irish get our own house in order. Laughable tbh.

• Advertisement

How about this for a name: Straw Man.
    :rolleyes:

rom wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Why won't you engage in discussion and address the point I made in my post instead of misrepresenting what I said and then ducking an actual response when I pointed it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Take it to the Spat thread

Ah now. We were only having a friendly chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

What date is his B sample due?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

B sample results to be given to him yesterday from what I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

roseybear wrote: »
    B sample results to be given to him yesterday from what I hear

I can't wait for yesterday to come. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Any idea of results ?I'm waiting with bated breath !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The silence is deafening!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

He is going on Monday to get the B sample tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Was the results of the B sample ever made public lads?

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Was the results of the B sample ever made public lads?

Don't think so, not that I heard anyway. I take it that means it was also positive. 2 year ban if that's the case I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Does a doping ban in Ireland mean he can still train? Can he compete in domestic competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

would have expected an announcement either way on test results

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

It would be a bit mad if he was on a 2 year ban and running for Crusaders in the national league...

Assume its a ban all official competition, remember lance armstrong cannot even ride or swim in charity events with his ban? [but maybe his is different]

• Advertisement

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Does a doping ban in Ireland mean he can still train? Can he compete in domestic competitions?

No competition allowed but of course he can train. How would you even try to stop someone training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

No competition allowed but of course he can train. How would you even try to stop someone training?

He can train but not with a club. Must be on his own.

Deano7788 wrote: »

Any chance you have a link to the rules? I wasn't aware that was the case, I thought it was just a ban from all forms of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Any chance you have a link to the rules? I wasn't aware that was the case, I thought it was just a ban from all forms of competition.

This is from Wada 2015 Model rules which are effective from 1 Jan 2015, but the sanctions are the same
    10.12 Status During Ineligibility

10.12.1 Prohibition Against Participation During Ineligibility

No Athlete or other Person who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, participate in any capacity in a Competition or activity (other than authorized anti-doping education or rehabilitation programs) authorized or organized by [IF] or any National Federation or a club or other member organization of [IF] or any National Federation, or in Competitions authorized or organized by any professional league or any international or national level Event organization or any elite or national-level sporting activity funded by a governmental agency.

An Athlete or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility longer than four years may, after completing four years of the period of Ineligibility, participate as an Athlete in local sport events not sanctioned or otherwise under the jurisdiction of a Code Signatory or member of a Code Signatory, but only so long as the local sport event is not at a level that could otherwise qualify such Athlete or other Person directly or indirectly to compete in (or accumulate points toward) a national championship or International Event, and does not involve the Athlete or other Person working in any capacity with Minors.

An Athlete or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility shall remain subject to Testing.

[Comment to Article 10.12.1: For example, subject to Article 10.12.2 below, an Ineligible Athlete cannot participate in a training camp, exhibition or practice organized by his or her National Federation or a club which is a member of that National Federation or which is funded by a governmental agency. Further, an Ineligible Athlete may not compete in a non-Signatory professional league (e.g., the National Hockey League, the National Basketball Association, etc.), Events organized by a non-Signatory International Event organization or a non-Signatory national-level event organization without triggering the Consequences set forth in Article 10.12.3. The term “activity” also includes, for example, administrative activities, such as serving as an official, director, officer, employee, or volunteer of the organization described in this Article. Ineligibility imposed in one sport shall also be recognized by other sports (see Article 15.1, Mutual Recognition).]

10.12.2 Return to Training

As an exception to Article 10.12.1, an Athlete may return to train with a team or to use the facilities of a club or other member organization of [IF]’s member organization during the shorter of: (1) the last two months of the Athlete’s period of Ineligibility, or (2) the last one-quarter of the period of Ineligibility imposed.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/resources/search?f[0]=field_resource_collections%3A29

He's only allowed train with a club during either the last 2 months of the suspension or the last quarter, whichever is shorter.

There was a Scottish U20 rugby player that was banned last year who did an interview (his father is a former Lion). He's not even allowed train in the gym with a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Deano7788 wrote: »

So a Suarez type ban :rolleyes:

IAAF have a list of all athletes currently serving doping bans
    Colvert doesn't appear on the list. I presume this means the B sample is still being tested or he is in the middle of an appeal.

RayCun wrote: »
    Colvert doesn't appear on the list. I presume this means the B sample is still being tested or he is in the middle of an appeal.

Interestingly Uslu Binnaz who got silver in the 2010 euro XC was banned in 2011 for life for a 2nd doping offense. Fionnuala Britton was 4th in 2010. If you get banned for life then all your results should be wiped IMHO. If its good enough for Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So he doesn't appear on the list, but is he allow to compete at the moment?

So he doesn't appear on the list, but is he allow to compete at the moment?

I'm only guessing, but I think the fact that he isn't on the list means that they haven't finished testing the B sample and he is allowed to compete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm only guessing, but I think the fact that he isn't on the list means that they haven't finished testing the B sample and he is allowed to compete?

Aye, just seems a strange system, as was drop from the Irish Team when results came out first?

Advertisement