Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl plans Castleknock store

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most places are an easy cycle. Yet very few do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Depends on your definition of easy. The area surrounding Blanchardstown shopping centre is anything but easy for cyclists and indeed pedestrians.

The crazy manoeuvres cars take to overtake cyclists on the bridge over the canal and railway line at Castleknock train station... :(

The traffic calming measures in Delwood - not so relevant to the thread I know - are an invitation for a bike/vehicle crash.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder where could be described as an easy cycle? Even the Grand canal pathways become impossible to cycle after the M50 heading into D15.

I mean its a easy cycling distance.

The cycle paths in the area are disfunctional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The crazy manoeuvres cars take to overtake cyclists on the bridge over the canal and railway line at Castleknock train station... :(

If it suits use the pedestrian and cycle only bridge that connects between the 12th Lock and the tennis club, it's much more pleasant.

I commute into the city center on bike (though not much recently). its a 28k round trip. The worst part of it is the D.15 part. Drivers are much faster, more aggressive and give far less room for cyclists than the busiest parts of the city center. I get cut up far more in D.15 than anywhere else.

The design of the roads is so much poorer as'well. In terms of making cyclists less welcome, less part of the system. They've put a lot of money in changing the roads too. But it consistently seems poorly thought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭horse7

Any more news about the Lidl store, I saw a group of workers inside the proposed area just before Christmas,they had paperwork with them and surveyed behind the dentist and beside the flower shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

horse7 wrote: »
    Any more news about the Lidl store, I saw a group of workers inside the proposed area just before Christmas,they had paperwork with them and surveyed behind the dentist and beside the flower shop?

There’s a high court case pending which is challenging An Bórd Pleanala’s decision to grant permission as they may have not considered the Strategic development for the village

It nice to see they don't have space for a badly need cycle lane.

But can add a commercial development which will add more traffic and problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

beauf wrote: »
    It nice to see they don't have space for a badly need cycle lane.

Wouldn't be much of a lane if it's in a particular square plot of land.... :confused:

Wouldn't be much of a lane if it's in a particular square plot of land.... :confused:

They won't need access to the road then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

They won't need access to the road then :rolleyes:

The plot of land backs onto the already existing shopping Centre, would it not make more sense for just shop frontage out onto the road and a vehicle entrance at the back of the shopping centre. This would move the traffic further down the road and not on top of the junction and would give space for a cycle lane.

It would make sense not to add more traffic where there is already a problem with it...

My point is they think there is more enough room and capacity to add more cars and traffic but none for a cycle lane. Certain irony to it no.

....and yes I know of the existing proposal for the cycle lanes in the village.

The reality is the developer and car is king...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Whats the point of another cycle lane around Dublin 15 / Ongar if everyone that i have recorded on my dashcam are on the main road,like a normal vehicle and then,as a pedestrian at the next traffic lights !??

Its for the people you don't record who do use cycle lanes where they are useful to use....

Maybe you want me to ask what's the point of traffic lights for all those motorists who break them, or some other such drivel...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Let's not turn a thread about a supermarket into one of those interminable Motorists vs. Cyclists arguments please folks. There are plenty of other places on Boards you can argue the toss about this if you so choose. Thank you.

Why the bold print.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because I was posting an instruction as a forum mod

Ooch

As for the Lidl in Castleknock, one would hope there's fewer trips made by car in the first place if there's a convenient shop that people can walk to.

• Advertisement

Its not a convenience shop. Its a supermarket. People tend to buy a lot of stuff in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Its not a convenience shop. Its a supermarket. People tend to buy a lot of stuff in one go.

And this people ;) tends to call in for a few items on the way by his local Lidl as well. :)

It has already done what inappropriate developments in small locations do, Castlenock Flowers (a landmark in the village) has shut it’s shop after almost 30 years as their building is on the redevelopment site.

If anyone thinks that Lidl was ever going to do anything for Castlenock then perhaps a rethink is in order. This follows the relocation of Castlenock Mermorials (headstones) who also did not have their lease renewed by Lidl.

There is zero chance this would have got permission in Malahide for example where Fingal pay a disproportionate amount of attention. The only thing I see Fingal doing is producing a glossy plan and doing f-all about it....

For the cyclists here they also make big undelivered promises too (not trying to reopen that can of worms but it’s relevant to the plan below), I’m a car person but God I wince when I see dangers the two wheelers have to put up with

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Castleknock%20Urban%20Centre%20Strategy%20Text.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Is there not a plan for Aldi to go in on the land behind the Travelodge?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On the cycling front, unless it's a very quiet time of day I always avoid the village by using the pedestrian bridge at the 12th Lock and Auburn Avenue.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    And this people ;) tends to call in for a few items on the way by his local Lidl as well. :)

Walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Walking?

Good God NO, I stop off in my Diesel guzzling, Particulate emitting, 2.0 litre 4x4 ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Rosser wrote: »
    It has already done what inappropriate developments in small locations do, Castlenock Flowers (a landmark in the village) has shut it’s shop after almost 30 years as their building is on the redevelopment site.

If anyone thinks that Lidl was ever going to do anything for Castlenock then perhaps a rethink is in order. This follows the relocation of Castlenock Mermorials (headstones) who also did not have their lease renewed by Lidl.

There is zero chance this would have got permission in Malahide for example where Fingal pay a disproportionate amount of attention. The only thing I see Fingal doing is producing a glossy plan and doing f-all about it....

Fingal initially refused it. Their eventual permission was endorsed by Bord Pleanala so this is nonsense.

People just don't want development of any kind. I understand why but it's not realistic.

Fingal initially refused it. Their eventual permission was endorsed by Bord Pleanala so this is nonsense.

People just don't want development of any kind. I understand why but it's not realistic.

Sorry now what part of it is nonsense? Fingal’s track record on planning isn’t anything to be proud of, they designated the zoning of the site so as long as you met that you were quids in.

Lidl had more ‘pre planning’ meetings with Fingal than I’ve had hot dinners so you’d want to be one dumb architect not to tick the boxes.

Put a supermarket in a congested village is nonsense.

Houses, mixed use development, small retail appropriate to the site that’s not nonsense.

• Advertisement

Why is it nonsense to have a supermarket in/near a "village" anyway? Sure there's only a few thousand people living within 10 mins walk of it...

Looking at Blanchardstown for instance, the Supervalu doesn't seem to be a significant imposition on the village centre or indeed add all that much traffic.

Advertisement