Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl plans Castleknock store

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The 1990s were bad. Feels like it's repeating again.

The opw don't see the park as a commuter route. They want to close more of it off.

If the planner's keep doing stupid things like the lights at castleknock. You can see why the opw don't feel it can be fixed by making the park a main road. I can see their point tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭horse7

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When and why did they ever close Whites gate in the first place? I used to go through the side gate there on a motorbike quite a bit (as lots of bikers do) and that road is as dead as a dodo despite being the most direct way to go to Carpenterstown from the park. Bizarre that they are not using infrastructure that is already there and pushing the main access to Carpenterstown through an already wedged Castleknock village. Re-opening that gate would be a huge relief for the traffic in Castleknock so it defies belief that it remains closed. Did they close it just to make Farmleigh House into a cul de sac or something?

Good point, you can still drive a motorcycle through there , I've seen a few during the week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Whites Gate was closed in the late 1980s as part of a much wider closing off of through roads through the Phoenix Park by the OPW.

It badly needs to be reopened to take the pressure of Castleknock.

That's just sweeping the problem elsewhere though.

The solution is as with so many things discourage people driving in single occupancy vehicles, improve public transport, encourage cycling (it's 30 mins to city centre by bike from castleknock), encourage ride sharing / car pooling.

That road wasnt exactly designed for the type of volume it would then get, people who do there would be boxed in, you would have a farcical situation of people trying to go through it 2 ways when it will only fit 1 and create other delays. Of course you could put in lights, but the park is better off without having even more brought in to ruin it

horse7 wrote: »
    Good point, you can still drive a motorcycle through there , I've seen a few during the week.

Main route for lots of cyclists too. I would be very against losing that to cars.

About time they ran a bus through the park 7:30_8:30 and 16:30 to 17:30 to alleviate the main commute for the working public, the OPW give the impression they own the park.

• Advertisement

About time they ran a bus through the park 7:30_8:30 and 16:30 to 17:30 to alleviate the main commute for the working public, the OPW give the impression they own the park.

Tried it before. Didn't work. Got stuck in the commuter car traffic constantly.

That said my memory is fuzzy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

The OPW are the Statuary Public Body within the Dept of The Taoiseach, who are in charge of the Phoenix Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

beauf wrote: »
    I'm not the one derailing a thread blithering on about a shopping centre 3km away.
    There is no place called the town centre its "Blanchardstown Town Centre" it's just a commercial name for shopping centre/retail park.
    The OP is now Off topic in his ire! ;)
    They never built any civic spaces for events etc. Really put no thought into creating a focus point for the community. But that ship is sailed.
    Confusing paragraph as the OP doesn’t accurately state where.
    It's rare there isn't heavy traffic and grid lock at the centre. It's so badly designed and planned.
    Yet further confusion from the OP, as to which “centre”?
    The issue in this thread is they approved yet more development in castleknock and ignored anyone pointing out the obvious traffic issues.
    OP appears to return “to topic”.

Get down of your High Horse, there Buddy and stop throwing out sweeping off topic rambling and confusing statements about other areas you clearly have very little regard for or knowledge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Castleknock is completely gone off my commuter route but it also means I don't order takeaway from any of the places in Castleknock because the delivery guys get stuck in traffic and food gets cold. Suspect I'm not the only one

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The OP is now Off topic in his ire! ;)....

Except...I'm not the OP of this thread...
    >>On internet forums and message boards, OP is short for original poster, or the person who started the thread....

• Advertisement

Probably time to call a halt to this thread ,Lidl is up and running for nearly a year.

This thread is 5yrs old and it's great to see the priory commercial interests got, and the success it was in creating more traffic and congestion.

In that same time we have minimal progress in any proposed improvements in the trains or cycling.

Though its a lovely shop in fairness. Rarely been in it as I like worse I usually avoid the village.

Probably time to call a halt to this thread ,Lidl is up and running for nearly a year.

It's just interesting to see how it worked out.

As you say this ship and sailed. No fixing it now.

Bye all,unfollowing the thread,see you all on D15 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I think the new development is great and hasn’t really increased traffic much at all. Traffic has always been bad around here.
    Castleknock village was pretty pathetic in its offerings before and I rarely used it. Now I use it regularly because of the Lidl. Not a brand I would have used in the past but I find it great. I also now use the local shops here too like the pharmacy, the Chinese takeaway and the lovely new coffee shop recently opened as part of the development.

I completely disagree with people suggesting opening the other gates for commuters. We should not be encouraging more cars to be using the park. It would ruin the place. Even as it is we have too many cars in the park. Although I would be open to it being used for public transport if thought viable.

Well I disagree about the traffic but yeah or will be nice to have more choice in the village..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The traffic situation is so bad in Castleknock that reopening White's Gate should at the very least given serious consideration as an interim short term measure.

Of course what is really needed is hugely improved high capacity rail based public transport - for over 25 years Dublin 15 has been campaigning for a full DART service to be provided and as yet no actual provision for what has been the fastest growing part of suburban Dublin during this time period.

Dedicated cycle infrastructure as is the norm in Holland and Scandinavia would also be of great benefit to D15 and Castleknock.

Metro West - first planned nearly 20 years ago - us also very much needed to properly serve the transport needs D15 and also help take pressure off the overburdened M50. Improved bus services would also help of course but where would the busses go?

And back on topic - the new Lidl is superb. A flagship store more on a par with the best SuperValus compared to the first wave of Lidl supermarkets.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The traffic situation is so bad in Castleknock that reopening White's Gate should at the very least given serious consideration as an interim short term measure...

Why would it be short term. They are doing nothing to fix it. If anything they are deliberately making it worse. There are no planned improvements. All you'd be doing is ruining another road for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I don't think the Lidl has made the traffic congestion all that much worse but it has made the junction a lot more dangerous. It's difficult to get in and out of Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

One of the big objections was from people who didn’t believe the traffic data from the Lidl planning application, this suggested the junction was below capacity. As it turned out the planners accepted the data and approved planning.

I don’t blame Lidl here and the centre is a great addition however the junction is a farce and the planners are completely unaccountable to anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement