Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I agree with roquentin, when i did the personality test for my therapist it came up i had traits of 4 different personality disorders, along with depression, dysthimia and ptsd. My own idea on it is i may have ptsd or borderline, but yeah its not an exact science.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Hey guys, just a few questions.

So I've been referred by my GP to see the psychiatrist that works in the health centre where my GP is based every 2 weeks or so. Do you know how long it normally takes to get your appointment? I know it probably varies, but just generally.

Also, I have health insurance but didn't mention this to my doctor. Does that mean that if I were to go privately to a psychiatrist that it would be free also? Is there an advantage over going privately over publicly? Does my GP still make the referral if I decide to go privately?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hey guys, just a few questions.

So I've been referred by my GP to see the psychiatrist that works in the health centre where my GP is based every 2 weeks or so. Do you know how long it normally takes to get your appointment? I know it probably varies, but just generally.

Also, I have health insurance but didn't mention this to my doctor. Does that mean that if I were to go privately to a psychiatrist that it would be free also? Is there an advantage over going privately over publicly? Does my GP still make the referral if I decide to go privately?

Thank you :)

Hi.
    The advantage of going private is that you can select the Psych Doc that you see-So if for example you have PTSD then you can go to a Psych Doc that specializes in that.

I couldn't tell ya if your insurance covers you for it as policies differ. Generally you pay a bit extra for it.

Privately-It took 3 weeks from when my GP referred me to be seen by the Psychiatrist. After that I could simply ring up and book in as soon as there was a free slot.

The public clinics waiting times vary depending on where you are. I've heard of 9 month waiting times in some parts to 2 weeks.(sorry now, I know that doesn't really help)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hi guys

Am looking for opinions here.

I'm thinking of getting my OH one of those SAD lamps as an early Christmas present?? As I've stated before, she suffers with depression, and hates the winter(dark nights etc).

Would this be a good purchase, or would it backfire??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Does anyone know if you can feel the depressing effect of alcohol without actually getting a hangover?

I had a couple of drinks the other day (not even enough for a hangover) and I feel really depressed right now to the point of having very strong suicide ideation and suicidal thoughts. I can't think of any other reason apart from the alcohol but it was only during the daytime and I didn't get a hangover the next day.

• Advertisement

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Hi.
    The advantage of going private is that you can select the Psych Doc that you see-So if for example you have PTSD then you can go to a Psych Doc that specializes in that.

I couldn't tell ya if your insurance covers you for it as policies differ. Generally you pay a bit extra for it.

Privately-It took 3 weeks from when my GP referred me to be seen by the Psychiatrist. After that I could simply ring up and book in as soon as there was a free slot.

The public clinics waiting times vary depending on where you are. I've heard of 9 month waiting times in some parts to 2 weeks.(sorry now, I know that doesn't really help)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting my OH one of those SAD lamps as an early Christmas present?? As I've stated before, she suffers with depression, and hates the winter(dark nights etc).

Was talking to my GP about light boxes a while back. She recommended Lumie ones. They're quite expensive though. There's a website called rentbrightlight.ie where you can rent a light box for a month, maybe that would be a good idea first to see if your girlfriend finds it useful? Think that's what I'm going to do.

How long does it generally take for the community mental health services to get in touch with you after you're referred? The psychologist I'm seeing in college said I should look for a referral so I've made an appointment with the doctor to get a referral. The app's not until next week though... I'm just worrying a bit cause I've heard about it taking ages, but feel like I need the support now cause I'm finding it hard to cope at the minute :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gary gary

Suas11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can feel the depressing effect of alcohol without actually getting a hangover?

I had a couple of drinks the other day (not even enough for a hangover) and I feel really depressed right now to the point of having very strong suicide ideation and suicidal thoughts. I can't think of any other reason apart from the alcohol but it was only during the daytime and I didn't get a hangover the next day.

Yes, the alcohol could be to blame.I had 4 pints sunday night and spent the last 2 days in crushing hopelessness over it without any hangover.

Keep in mind im not actually diagnosed with depression but i think i suffer slightly from it.I had a very very traumatic experience during the summer which amplified it and its starting to get the point where ill have to admit it and get help. So i dont know how similar our situations are, but i think its safe to assume it was alcohol that caused you to feel so low like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

gary gary wrote: »
    Yes, the alcohol could be to blame.I had 4 pints sunday night and spent the last 2 days in crushing hopelessness over it without any hangover.

Keep in mind im not actually diagnosed with depression but i think i suffer slightly from it.I had a very very traumatic experience during the summer which amplified it and its starting to get the point where ill have to admit it and get help. So i dont know how similar our situations are, but i think its safe to assume it was alcohol that caused you to feel so low like that.

Yeah, I'm thinking that it must be. If you haven't before, you should definitely try to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Freezing!!

Can I just ask a question...

How common are suicidal thoughts, amongst (a) those suffering from depression and (b) the general population? Obviously I'm not looking for figures, but I really don't have a clue. I've had them for so long now that I've never even contemplated, until recently, that maybe it's not normal behaviour to have them on a daily basis. Starting to think that maybe it's just something I'll always have to try my best to distract myself from, I'm very worried about what will happen the next time I get very stressed out, I've quit college because the stress was affecting me so much, even minor things are pushing me quite close to the edge recently.. :(

• Advertisement

Freezing!! wrote: »

How common are suicidal thoughts, amongst (a) those suffering from depression and (b) the general population? Obviously I'm not looking for figures, but I really don't have a clue. I've had them for so long now that I've never even contemplated, until recently, that maybe it's not normal behaviour to have them on a daily basis. Starting to think that maybe it's just something I'll always have to try my best to distract myself from, I'm very worried about what will happen the next time I get very stressed out, I've quit college because the stress was affecting me so much, even minor things are pushing me quite close to the edge recently.. :(

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time. Have you spoken to anyone about how you're feeling? Are you aware of the resources available to you?(eg.Samaritans, college counselling service(if you're still registered), your GP, here, family and friends)

Suicide and mental health is getting so much coverage at the moment and rightly so. It has been ignored for so long. The problem with the figures for suicide linked to depression before was that a lot of people never talked about their depression to others or even their GP. So a lot of suicides came as a complete shock to families and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Freezing!! wrote: »

I think suicidal thoughts amoungst the general population are quite common. These would just be scenarios that your mind plays out.

Being suicidal is different (I think). For me I actually develop physical symptoms (start sweating and go all white) in certain scenarios. Usually if I'm high up. Say in Dundrum shopping centro or going to t2 in Dublin airport.
    I usually have to stay away from the barriers. Its quite scary.
    I once was in an apt on my own for a few hours that was 7 stories high. It got so bad I had to lock the patio door and break the key off.

Alcohol of course plays a big role as well, for me at least.

Quote from Margin Call....'You know, the feeling that people experience when they stand on the edge like this isn't the fear of falling - it's the fear that they might jump'

Hope you're feeling better today

What's the role of a psychologist in the whole treatment process of someone? I understand the role of a psychiatrist and the therapist but where does the psychologist come into things?

What's the role of a psychologist in the whole treatment process of someone? I understand the role of a psychiatrist and the therapist but where does the psychologist come into things?

http://psychology.about.com/od/psychotherapy/f/psychvspsych.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I've been taking Valdoxan (25mg) for two weeks and everything was progressively getting better until two days ago when I was hit with a wave of fairly severe depression (by my standards). It's a bit much to handle.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I've been taking Valdoxan (25mg) for two weeks and everything was progressively getting better until two days ago when I was hit with a wave of fairly severe depression (by my standards). It's a bit much to handle.

Sorry to hear this.

Common side effects. Give it another 2-4 weeks and it should go away.

I know it's awful but if you stick it out you should be fine. If it doesn't change after 4 weeks you'll need to change meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Dermighty wrote: »

Hope you're feeling better there now friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

muhammad-ali-quotes-vrawdopest-29102.jpg

Hi guys

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Freezing!!

Anybody?

It sounds like a thoughtful gift in my opinion, could be very useful.

• Advertisement

Anybody?

SAD is a condition.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

and light therapy does relieve it, so why not. Its waking up on those dark mornings that probably get people down.

Nice gift, and if you can find one for not very expensive post here cos I want to get one as well.

I take it these lamps differ from the Sunbed lamps?

I take it these lamps differ from the Sunbed lamps?

as in a tanning bed light? SAD lamps try to mimic the effect of waking up on a bright sunny morning.
    Or more like mimic the effect of the sun rising - it gradually gets brighter

A friend of mine says that it might not be a good idea getting her something like this!?

He said that she may take offence considering that depression is such a sensitive subject....??

A friend of mine says that it might not be a good idea getting her something like this!?

He said that she may take offence considering that depression is such a sensitive subject....??

I'll be honest and say that I think I agree with him. It might be better to just suggest it first rather than buying it as a Christmas present. We're all still kids at Christmas time.

I'll be honest and say that I think I agree with him. It might be better to just suggest it first rather than buying it as a Christmas present. We're all still kids at Christmas time.

She herself did say that she hates the long nights & dark mornings, which got me thinking about this......?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

starting to be quite suspicious/paranoid of my boss and people in authority over me. Anyone relate to that ? Get really anxious when I feel someone "has control" or that I don't have control over my life or what i'm doing.
    Sick of having mental health problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Delete

1st time poster in this thread.

For the past 4 years i have been battling depression like for me in comes and gos in stages and i am on notting for it as i refuse to take anything.

Basically the last year has been hell for me anything that could go wrong gos wrong for me. Like must days i put on a brave face but some days i just won't to give up over stuff. Like over the years i have put on cocky front to hide the fact what is wrong in my life as anyone i try talk to basically tells me to go away.

But over the past 2 weeks i have probably been the lowest i have been in years. I was seeing a girl for a few weeks and said some extremely hurtful stuff to me and i Havant been the same since and all my mind has been going for the past 2 weeks is that i am useless at basically everything in the bedroom and she only used me for that. Then my housemate also went off on one at me saying i was also useless and a waster and all i do is sit around all day playing video games while i have been looking for a job in witch i got.

Now i will be starting a job in less then 10 days in the area that i have been wonting to work in with my degree but my mind is going i am going to be useless at it and i won't last a week in it and i am not able to do it. I am nearly thinking twice about saying no to the job as i just think i will be useless for it.

Like i have been trying my best to get my mind out of this by trying to think positive about stuff that might happen but i just think more and more bad stuff will happen to me.

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it. You're one lucky dude though. Talk about a blessing. That girl sounds like someone no one would want in their life.

What business is it of your housemates what you do with your life? I take it you pay your way and you don't hog the tv, kitchen and toilet?

What's your degree in? Have you worked with it before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it. You're one lucky dude though. Talk about a blessing. That girl sounds like someone no one would want in their life.

What business is it of your housemates what you do with your life? I take it you pay your way and you don't hog the tv, kitchen and toilet?

What's your degree in? Have you worked with it before?

Thats what i have been thinking with the girl i got out while i can but she massaged me there after i ended it with her insulting me over all the same stuff again and its just been sitting in my mind again that i am useless.

I pay my way on everything there and i am in my room 90% of the time. The other night was the 1st time i told her to f off and leave me alone as she told me this is her kingdom and my freedom is limited to what i do in it and she started to insult my mother as well by saying she made a waster and she's a bad mother for that.

In Computers and i kind of done something like this job before on my work placement last year in college and there wasn't really that much work to be doing and i was in a office by myself all day with no interaction with anyone for hours and i just don't won't that to happen again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement