Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I work nights too. Have you got your sleep routine optimised - I have black out blinds and some cast iron rules. Not that I don't mess up here and there but I give myself a great chance to get a decent rest.. Down to leaving phone offline and computer in sitting room.. I used to call bs on it all but it's definitely helped me.. Think you can look it up too. Sleep hygiene was the term afaik.

Ya i think i know the term allright. And tbh its something i could be better at. Leaving the phone and labtop outside the bedroom is a good idea. But still i think i dont get the same quality of sleep during the day and that could be affecting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Feeling a little anxious tonight. I don't really know why. Which is more annoying. Because it makes me think that it must be something obvious and I'm just subconsciously ignoring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Feeling a little anxious tonight. I don't really know why. Which is more annoying. Because it makes me think that it must be something obvious and I'm just subconsciously ignoring it.

Hope it passes for you soon there LID.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I know the feeling - I can sometimes make myself more anxious because I can't think what I'm anxious about and get worried it's important. It would nearly be funny if it wasn't true.. There's almost always someone floating about to talk to here though.. Thinking of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

probably the sunday blues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/13/sunday-night-blues_n_4086390.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

ok i forgot tomorrow is a Bank holiday. the sunday blues wouldnt apply today because one is off tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Roquentin wrote: »
    ok i forgot tomorrow is a Bank holiday. the sunday blues wouldnt apply today because one is off tomorrow

I'm off regardless.. I hate seeing everyone else off work and college:p:p I feel a little less free for some reason.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Meanwhile I'm just started work!!

Meanwhile I'm just started work!!

Give 'em Hell, Grem! :D

Night off for most of them here so less frustrating for me.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

carzony wrote: »
    I'm off regardless.. I hate seeing everyone else off work and college:p:p I feel a little less free for some reason.......

I only go to college part time but I'm so happy to be off for 2 weeks. I love feeling really free. Even though I have to study it's so good knowing I don't have anything else I have to do. I think it's probably due to the depression and anxiety. They can feel very overpowering at times so the tiniest responsibility can set me over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

So flat inside and achy that even a friend noticed it and asked if I was ok.

Ah well... tomorrow is a new day and all that jazz :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

frozen. fcuked.

Hey there you two. Either want to talk about what's bothering ye?. Can pm if you would like, I'm here for the night.

Hey there you two. Either want to talk about what's bothering ye?. Can pm if you would like, I'm here for the night.

Thanks, that's really nice of you :)

Honestly not sure what is bothering me though... which makes it a bit harder sometimes if you know what I mean.

But taking the approach tonight of trying not to analyse it and just trying to do some nice stuff instead... to hopefully fight the bad feelings... gonna jump into the shower, get into PJSs and not sure what then... but something nice... I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

feel like I'm going to die and deserve to. better all round. waste of a life, waste of opportunities. not sad about it, just fearful but strangely calm.

Thanks, that's really nice of you :)

Honestly not sure what is bothering me though... which makes it a bit harder sometimes if you know what I mean.

But taking the approach tonight of trying not to analyse it and just trying to do some nice stuff instead... to hopefully fight the bad feelings... gonna jump into the shower, get into PJSs and not sure what then... but something nice... I dunno...

Good ideas there. Be nice to yourself, it's key. I'm trying to incorporate that into my day to day life but it's so hard breaking my old habit of being self-critical first. Also, sounds like you've a good friend there. Most people don't want to ask if anything is wrong for fear they might get the real answer!. I'm on nightshift so if you've any problems later I'll be here..

feel like I'm going to die and deserve to. better all round. waste of a life, waste of opportunities. not sad about it, just fearful but strangely calm.

That's a horrible place to be Scrim, I know right now the darkness seems impenetrable, but as we tend to repeat to ourselves on this thread "this too shall pass" I know it sounds like bs when you're this low but a mantra like it to cling on to may help a little.. I'm here for the night if you need to talk, ok?. Mind you.

Good ideas there. Be nice to yourself, it's key. I'm trying to incorporate that into my day to day life but it's so hard breaking my old habit of being self-critical first. Also, sounds like you've a good friend there. Most people don't want to ask if anything is wrong for fear they might get the real answer!. I'm on nightshift so if you've any problems later I'll be here..

Really kind of you, thank you.

And yep, my friend works in the care sector, but also soon after I met her I discovered she's experienced some similar issues herself. Not as extreme, but enough for her to 'get it'. I like friends where I can just be myself, and say I'm not ok, and just acknowledge that, but not need to talk about it.

Just be myself.

An example friday a couple of weeks back, I organised a night out, that she was at but was late. Most of the others I didn't know as well as her (I run a meet-up group, so they're not all really friends as she is). When she arrived, she already knew I'd had a bit of a meltdown after therapy the previous day, but I felt comfortable enough to tell her that cos I was struggling so much that morning I'd been in touch with the mental health team and agreed tactic was to take a couple of meds that calm me down - but that they make me super sleepy, and that I was struggling with feeling so sluggish, but had come along for a while cos I'd organised the night out.

It was lovely to be able to just even acknowledge that to someone, and just have them accept it and still just see me as me.

And yes, the being nice to self is key... but so, so hard to do.

I kinda also feel like I should try to write, as I've a long wait between therapy sessions this time so am meant to write and try to work stuff out a bit through writing between sessions, as I'm good at that and it helps. But tonight I just wanna focus on winding down and on trying to replace the bad feelings with some ever so slightly better ones through being nice to myself, rather than doing things that make me realise how bad I feel, if that makes sense.

I find when I write it's very easy to fall into writing about feeling down or something from long ago that might bring me further down.. I usually write the following day in one burst and that might go to the therapist. Do you read or would you watch a movie maybe? If you can keep concentration a movie could be good, I like children's ones - Monsters Inc is a personal favourite (ssh)

• Advertisement

Really kind of you, thank you.

And yep, my friend works in the care sector, but also soon after I met her I discovered she's experienced some similar issues herself. Not as extreme, but enough for her to 'get it'. I like friends where I can just be myself, and say I'm not ok, and just acknowledge that, but not need to talk about it.

Just be myself.

An example friday a couple of weeks back, I organised a night out, that she was at but was late. Most of the others I didn't know as well as her (I run a meet-up group, so they're not all really friends as she is). When she arrived, she already knew I'd had a bit of a meltdown after therapy the previous day, but I felt comfortable enough to tell her that cos I was struggling so much that morning I'd been in touch with the mental health team and agreed tactic was to take a couple of meds that calm me down - but that they make me super sleepy, and that I was struggling with feeling so sluggish, but had come along for a while cos I'd organised the night out.

It was lovely to be able to just even acknowledge that to someone, and just have them accept it and still just see me as me.

And yes, the being nice to self is key... but so, so hard to do.

I kinda also feel like I should try to write, as I've a long wait between therapy sessions this time so am meant to write and try to work stuff out a bit through writing between sessions, as I'm good at that and it helps. But tonight I just wanna focus on winding down and on trying to replace the bad feelings with some ever so slightly better ones through being nice to myself, rather than doing things that make me realise how bad I feel, if that makes sense.

I sometimes write in a notebook between therapy sessions as well. It is good as I can note down my mood and thoughts more accurately. However I don't do it if I think it will make me feel worse. Do something nice for yourself tonight. Like read a nice book, watch something on netflix, pamper yourself.

I pigged out this evening but it didn't give me any joy or comfort. Not too sure how to process that.

I pigged out this evening but it didn't give me any joy or comfort. Not too sure how to process that.

Easy for me to say, I know, but what's done is done and all that... there must have been some need within you that made you do it - doesn't sound like the need was met if it didn't give any joy or comfort... but guess the key thing is moving on from it, etc... rather than making yourself feel worse about it, if possible.

It's just not what you needed today. Try not to be too hard on yourself.. Sit back and chat if you can.

Easy for me to say, I know, but what's done is done and all that... there must have been some need within you that made you do it - doesn't sound like the need was met if it didn't give any joy or comfort... but guess the key thing is moving on from it, etc... rather than making yourself feel worse about it, if possible.

I'm not down or anything (at least, I don't think I am). Just a bit empty. Could just be a bit of funk though maybe.

I'm not down or anything (at least, I don't think I am). Just a bit empty. Could just be a bit of funk though maybe.

yep, the emptiness makes a lot of sense... and trying to fill that emptiness...

what is funk? ;)

Sorry to hear Hugo. Sometimes even chocolate cant ease negative feelings.

I'm good, thanks guys.

How are ye all this evening?

Im not too bad. Didnt eat many easter eggs as chocolate gives me terrible heartburn. Got a bit of exercise in today which helps. How about you guys?

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Im not too bad. Didnt eat many easter eggs as chocolate gives me terrible heartburn. Got a bit of exercise in today which helps. How about you guys?

I ate loads of chocolate today. To my disappointment I'm too full to eat anymore. I got some exercise today as well. It was such a lovely day to get some fresh air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement