Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I get counselling through the mental health services. I was still waiting nearly three months for it to start though. First I was referred to the mental health services for my area. Then I had a consultation with the psychiatrist and they recommended cbt to me. The pyschiatrist told me it might take a few months for the therapy to start but it only took a few weeks. That route may be an option. Especially if this is taking over your life.

I really want an experts opinion on my situation more than anything. I would like to ask questions and see if they think i'm depressed aswell as the anxiety issue. No way I could wait 9 months+ for that though.. The system must have a crazy waiting list for the service :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Fair play to you, it helps to empty your mind like this. For what's it's worth, my advice is to print out what you have just written and take it to your GP, or a different GP. All the best with it
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I see what you mean about an expert opinion. Is it a counsellor that gives you the therapy that you are on the waiting list for? I don't think counsellors can diagnose you. I think it has to be a doctor. Have you brought up these question with your GP?

I think waiting lists vary depending on where you live. Maybe they hope people will go off and fund it themselves :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Calibos wrote:
    Someone mentioned atypical depression a while back. Looked it up and its me to a tee. Rejection sensitivity is one of the main diagnostic checkboxes for it.

That was me. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with it a few months back - hadn't heard of it at all before that, but it is me in a nutshell.

Idontlikefig - I'm not going to quote your post because of the length. You poor thing, sounds like you've had a tough couple of years. You say that you're still going to school despite it all, so that's something you should be proud of. Is there a teacher you could feel comfortable talking to about how you're feeling? The guidance counsellor maybe? They might be able to help talk about this with your parents if you decided that's what you wanted to. Also, your parents might end up being a lot more understanding than you expect - I know mine were. I hope things work out for you.

I see what you mean about an expert opinion. Is it a counsellor that gives you the therapy that you are on the waiting list for? I don't think counsellors can diagnose you. I think it has to be a doctor. Have you brought up these question with your GP?

I think waiting lists vary depending on where you live. Maybe they hope people will go off and fund it themselves :confused:

I told the gp i wanted an official assessment and diagnosis and she said waiting for a psychiatrist would take forever and even getting on a waiting list is difficult so there'd be no point.

In my experience the GP only wants to hand out pills.

she referred me to a councellor and that's what i'm waiting on right now..

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    I told the gp i wanted an official assessment and diagnosis and she said waiting for a psychiatrist would take forever and even getting on a waiting list is difficult so there'd be no point.

In my experience the GP only wants to hand out pills.

she referred me to a councellor and that's what i'm waiting on right now..

Would you go to another doctor for a second opinion. Even then it may some time to actually get an appointment.

I really don't even know what to say. Nine months is far too long. Medication can only do so much.

It comes across as the doctor is kinda dismissive and is trying to fob you off

Would you go to another doctor for a second opinion. Even then it may some time to actually get an appointment.

I really don't even know what to say. Nine months is far too long. Medication can only do so much.

It comes across as the doctor is kinda dismissive and is trying to fob you off

I think that's the way Doctors are now. They know the system is generally screwed so I think she may have been honest with me.

I've needed to have a surgery and the hospital have cancelled it 3 times so far. the doctor warned me that'd happen so they defo know what's going on.

Never really occoured to me to go see another Doctor but even then the waiting list would be so long there wouldnt be much point. i'm all over the place atm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

carzony wrote: »
    I really want an experts opinion on my situation more than anything. I would like to ask questions and see if they think i'm depressed aswell as the anxiety issue. No way I could wait 9 months+ for that though.. The system must have a crazy waiting list for the service :eek:

Im on a 9 month waiting list for CBT therapy. Had to wait 6 months for an appointment with Psychologist. Its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rainbowmoose

The first time I was referred for counselling I had to wait 9 months. Went to the doc in early January and only got a call in late September after going to the doctor again and inquiring why I hadn't heard anything.
    A year later I had to go back to my GP in June as I wasn't able to cope. Eventually got a call from a counselor in January.
    Actually forgot I had been re-referred the second time - was in such a state that I was considering going to Pieta House and was so shocked when the Counselling in Primary Care actually called.
    Is it because I'm from a small county? Three months would have been a dream!

Shocking stuff though.

I am one of the lucky ones so. I don't know if it is because I am from an area which has a very efficient system or that I was bad enough to require an appointment quickly. Either way that doesn't help you guys. I couldn't of waited 9 months for an appointment. I can see why people give out about the mental health services in this country. It is shameful.

• Advertisement

Social anxiety kinda sucks. Last night i went training. Today in my mind I am analysing everything that I felt was wrong. I am meant to do it for cbt. But I don't have therapy for another 2 weeks. So I'm wondering will I be able to manage next week training better. I know it's so silly but I just feel so unsatisfied.
    Everyone else is way better than me. The trainer had to take 2 of us aside as we weren't ready for what the others were doing. The fact I have missed a good few sessions seems to be irrelevant to me. I just feel they get on so much better with each other as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Had a couple of minor awkward situations earlier today and I can't just seem to shake either of them off. It'll pass by tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

FFS, me nerves just settled after a no cause bout of anxiety edginess and taking a Xanax for it earlier and just before we close an aggressive drunk comes in. Dealt with him but am gonna need to take another Xanax at this point.

Calibos wrote: »
    FFS, me nerves just settled after a no cause bout of anxiety edginess and taking a Xanax for it earlier and just before we close an aggressive drunk comes in. Dealt with him but am gonna need to take another Xanax at this point.

Sorry to hear that C :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I was stuck in a dream for ages, hours today. Went to bed about six and i'd say it started shortly after, even woke a few times and it stayed happening when i went back to sleep. I'm a bit shook now as it was ugly though won't go into it much due to possible triggers.. Take a while to shake it off today i think and mood is very low now.

I was stuck in a dream for ages, hours today. Went to bed about six and i'd say it started shortly after, even woke a few times and it stayed happening when i went back to sleep. I'm a bit shook now as it was ugly though won't go into it much due to possible triggers.. Take a while to shake it off today i think and mood is very low now.

*hugs*

Hope this all passes for you soon G.

Oh I'm liking this bit of sun were having right now..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks Hugo I haven't had as intense and lucid a dream in a few months.. Really drained me, though a bit of a stroll with the dog before work has helped a little.. How are you?

Carzony, it is nice out. The sun will usually take the edge off for a lot of us..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Hi guys, never posted in this forum before *waves*.

Does anyone have any tips on getting by in shared accommodation with social anxiety? I'm really struggling. I share a room with my fiance, and basically I haven't left my room in nearly a month except to use the bathroom. I can just always hear one of my housemates or I'm just always aware that there's others in the house and I feel like I can't breathe, I can barely sleep because I'm stressing out so much. i feel like I can't relax knowing there's others in the house. I've been to my doctor and I'm taking antidepressants (Venlablue) but I just feel anxious and stressed constantly. Any tips on how to relax myself? I've started doing yoga in my room but I don't think that's doing much...

Hi Rawn, welcome to the thread.. I am guessing the house share is with people you don't really know?. It is indeed very hard in those circumstances to calm your nerves.. If you can concentrate enough you're on to a good idea with the yoga - check youtube for meditation type stuff maybe also?. Would your fiance be able to accompany you for a few hours each day to the living area?. If you develop a habit of coming down for a particular activity or TV show you may help yourself that way. More drastically you could see if you have some people you know who are looking for a house share. Moving is a nightmare but could be better in the long run. Sorry for the rambly reply. :o

Hi Rawn, welcome to the thread.. I am guessing the house share is with people you don't really know?. It is indeed very hard in those circumstances to calm your nerves.. If you can concentrate enough you're on to a good idea with the yoga - check youtube for meditation type stuff maybe also?. Would your fiance be able to accompany you for a few hours each day to the living area?. If you develop a habit of coming down for a particular activity or TV show you may help yourself that way. More drastically you could see if you have some people you know who are looking for a house share. Moving is a nightmare but could be better in the long run. Sorry for the rambly reply. :o

The thing is my housemates are a couple I've been friends with for years! That's why I thought I could handle the living situation before I moved in but it's strangely worse than when I shared with strangers before. I feel like, with strangers it's acceptable to walk past your housemate without stopping to talk, but with friends there's an expectation for me to converse with them. Before moving in with them, I only saw them on social occasions (birthdays etc) and I would so happen to be drinking on these occasions. I'm better in social situations with a drink in me. But I feel like I have lost control of when and where I have to be social and when I get to be alone. Being home no longer makes me feel relaxed because I no longer feel like I'm ever "alone", and cos being home stresses me so much I wan't even less to go out for any social situations at all. In fact, it made it so difficult I had to drop out of college as I can't face it. Ideally we'd move back to my dads (not an option unfortunately) or find our own place (can't afford it) so I am well and truly stuck, which only adds to it. My OH accompanies me downstairs usually but lately I can't even do that without getting panic attacks. I'm still waiting for an appointment with my college counselor (over a month now). They don't know I've dropped out btw as I am still out with a doctor's note, I haven't told them I'm not returning.

I'm not even sure what kind of tips I'm looking for really, I think I just really needed to unload! :(:(

Welcome to the thread Rawn.

Oh unload away you're in the right spot!. Have you contacted the counselling service again to see what the story is?. It can be more awkward with friends for the reasons you just shared there. And although there's no onus on you to speak to them I can guess that the anxiety has dug it's heels in on that one so it will be difficult to convince yourself otherwise. You might not be the closest friends ever but would you consider telling them what your current situation is?. People can be a lot more understanding than we give them credit for - I learnt that personally and experienced it more than once..

Rawn that sounds like a stressful living situation. If I had to live with non family people I would feel like you as well. I understand the pressure you feel about having to speak to them. Could you move back to your dad's on you own. Even for a few days to take this stress off yourself and give you a break.

Rawn that sounds like a stressful living situation. If I had to live with non family people I would feel like you as well. I understand the pressure you feel about having to speak to them. Could you move back to your dad's on you own. Even for a few days to take this stress off yourself and give you a break.

I think I will have to do that :( it'll kill me being away from my OH so much (he'll be super busy with college work and exams) but at least he'll be finishing up college in a month so he'll have more time. I wish I could just learn to relax my own mind, I feel like a deer in the headlights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Hope all you guys are having a good easter weekend. I been working night shifts the last few months and i think its having a detrimental impact on my mental health. Just with been awake all night and then sleeping 4 or 5 hours during the day, i dont think its helping. Only problem is the money is good and the reason i do nights is because theres a lot less people around. Oh well.

I work nights too. Have you got your sleep routine optimised - I have black out blinds and some cast iron rules. Not that I don't mess up here and there but I give myself a great chance to get a decent rest.. Down to leaving phone offline and computer in sitting room.. I used to call bs on it all but it's definitely helped me.. Think you can look it up too. Sleep hygiene was the term afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Don't know if anyone has posted this link before and if so my apologies but this is a brilliant lecture on depression from a Stanford University professor. Should be required viewing for anyone who thinks depression is not a genuine illness and also a catastrophic problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement