Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hey everyone. Time difference is a pain in the arse so I've not been posting so much. Just wanted to say hi and wish everyone well. Also to thank people for help during the past year. Things are a but weird right now, being away from home sure was strange, but I didnt feel massively Christmassy to begin with so meh. Am kinda glad I never made it home for the enforced fun, and began some new traditions. Also glad that by not going home it set some boundaries that I can't just hop on a plane whenever.

Got up early and did some exercise today and that helped a lot, then I had to go to work for a little while so that was grand too, nice to have a bit of breathing space and time to myself. Can sit on the couch and not feel too lazy now either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What's the time difference for you? I work nights so am about a good bit.

I've recovered a bit after my wobble last night. I just wish I wasn't so many people..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Felt a bit restless earlier. Like cabin fever or something. I had to get out so I just took a 5 minute drive around the block. Usually I'm grand with being at home for days at a time. I'm a shutin for Christ sake.

That's just what I'm gonna do. Haven't been out since Christmas Eve. Gonna drop the father to the pub and drive around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Has anyone here with anxiety ever had a sudden jolt of lightening pain in their foot so bad they almost let out an involuntary scream? It almost creeps up to the chest also.. It comes then when you move your foot it disappears straight away (I didn't hang about in doing this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

fr336 wrote: »
    Has anyone here with anxiety ever had a sudden jolt of lightening pain in their foot so bad they almost let out an involuntary scream? It almost creeps up to the chest also.. It comes then when you move your foot it disappears straight away (I didn't hang about in doing this)

YES!! Although I was told it's related to low levels of potassium. I wake up during the night with these pains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

more potassium in your diet :) bananas are a good source :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I ended up buying a book that was recommended by my therapist today. It is clearly the book she uses a lot as the worksheets in it are the ones we work on. It is actually good to see what these worksheets are meant to do and how they helped others get better. I was beginning to find them rubbish. I think I wasn't putting enough effort in though.

YES!! Although I was told it's related to low levels of potassium. I wake up during the night with these pains.

Thanks for the reply :) I'll do research myself but for now what types of basic things would I need for potassium intake do you think? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I ended up buying a book that was recommended by my therapist today. It is clearly the book she uses a lot as the worksheets in it are the ones we work on. It is actually good to see what these worksheets are meant to do and how they helped others get better. I was beginning to find them rubbish. I think I wasn't putting enough effort in though.

What book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

CZ 453 wrote: »
    What book?

Mind over mood. It's about changing the way you think so you can make improvements in your life.

• Advertisement

Sounds a bit like the book I linked here before. Mindfulness and Acceptance-Anxiety Workbook, Forsyth. Excellent book.

fr336 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply :) I'll do research myself but for now what types of basic things would I need for potassium intake do you think? Thanks again.

As pudzey101 said; bananas. Also avocados, natural yogurts, fish and spinach etc
    Hope it gradually subsides for you :)

As pudzey101 said; bananas. Also avocados, natural yogurts, fish and spinach etc
    Hope it gradually subsides for you :)

Many thanks that's smashing :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Aswell as potassium, lack of quinine can cause cramping - I drink some tonic water as it seems easiest for me..

pudzey101 wrote: »
    more potassium in your diet :) bananas are a good source :)

Thanks! :) I didn't have bananna's for ages then they gave me this weird thing in my chest that I guess could be heartburn but it felt more serious..not sure if I've ever had heartburn or the like but it came and went, came and went again..hmm

Aswell as potassium, lack of quinine can cause cramping - I drink some tonic water as it seems easiest for me..

As naive as I sound, I don't know what quinine is/does?

Neither do I, but a small glass of tonic water a week or so has helped me no end. I made sure it doesn't react with my medication first. Haven't had leg or foot cramp anywhere as severe as I used to.. only takes a small amount as apparently it's dangerous enough in high doses.

That's used to treat malaria.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    That's used to treat malaria.

jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

I hate holidays. I have too much time to think, which is always dangerous for me and I end up in a really bad place, and I can never seem to spend my time effectively which makes me feel worse. I have about a million things to do right now for school but I just can't concentrate on anything. I really just want to cry and sleep forever or get on a bus to Dublin where no one knows me and spend all night wandering around.

Frigating wrote: »
    I hate holidays. I have too much time to think, which is always dangerous for me and I end up in a really bad place, and I can never seem to spend my time effectively which makes me feel worse. I have about a million things to do right now for school but I just can't concentrate on anything. I really just want to cry and sleep forever or get on a bus to Dublin where no one knows me and spend all night wandering around.

Leaving Cert too?

Yeah. My DCG project is destroying me, and I just can't see the point in trying to do well in the exams. Whatever college course and eventual job I end up in I'm going to be unhappy anyway.

Yeah. My DCG project is destroying me, and I just can't see the point in trying to do well in the exams. Whatever college course and eventual job I end up in I'm going to be unhappy anyway.

PM me if you want, I'm doing my LC too, maybe I could help you out someway. A problem shared is a problem halved :) Also I heard that torch project is a load of ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

george-carlin-quotes-life.jpg

thats life man. kind of just have to go with the flow.

Roquentin wrote: »

thats life man. kind of just have to go with the flow.

Forgive me if I sound pessimistic (if? ha) but what's the point in living if everybody's just going to go around being miserable all the time? Part of me just wants to end it now, but I'm a coward.

Can extreme anxiety / worrying more than usual wipe out memories in the short term? There is a lot I have to really struggle to remember, and a few things I can't remember at all e.g. someone's name! Not someone close, or whom I reguarly see, but something that could be easily recalled before :(

If it does then that explains a lot for me :o

If it does then that explains a lot for me :o

If so, don't let it slip any more...get this sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Forgive me if I sound pessimistic (if? ha) but what's the point in living if everybody's just going to go around being miserable all the time? Part of me just wants to end it now, but I'm a coward.

its not all doom and gloom (I was joking with the quote of george carlin) but nobody dates the perfect partner or finds the perfect job or lives the perfect life. We all must compromise in some way or form. I wouldnt be too down about it. Life isnt perfect but its better than nothing.

the thing is some people think they are happy. They say oh ive got the husband or wife, ive got the good career, or the nice house and they convince themselves that they are happy because they measure happiness in terms of materialism. I dont ascribe to that ideal. In my book regardless of what you have or have not in life, or what you have done or not done, one either gets out of bed happy with themselves or they do not.

i would follow the buddhist methodology of thought. the dalai lama has some great quotes about life. You dont need wealth or the model life to be happy. One can be happy with just nothing so long as they are happy to just be alive.

i wouldnt be too down about it. everyone is very lucky to exist so we may as well make the best of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement