Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 avnol

Roquentin wrote: »
    People i think believe that once they achieve they will be happy. So a man may say that once he has the degree and the family, it will all come together. It may and it may not, nothing is certain. Like you say, you have to be happy within yourself. If you dont accept yourself, then no matter what you do, it will not be good enough.

Freud said love and work, but you have to be comfortable in both environments. You must understand your own limitations and ask yourself can i do this or that. If you are in a job, where you are struggling with anxiety for a while, well then you may have to accept that this isnt the job for you. The same with relationships.

You must find your equilibrium/comfortable zone in life and that comes from accepting who you are. What you can do and cannot do. We are all human and all have strong points and weak points. And if it means perhaps settling for a life of lower value in the eyes of others, then so be it. It is your life, not theirs.

You know finally at age 29 I can see only for the first time that a lot of why I've never been truly happy was I was trying to live my life the way other people wanted me too. Say for example my parents, they pushed and pushed so hard for me to study, be the prettiest, be successful that all I tried to do for all those years was to try please them. No matter what size I was or how good I looked I never felt it. No matter how much I stressed myself out and got my degrees it didn't make me feel any better about myself. I was living my life through my parents eyes. I now know this was a huge mistake and have tried so hard to make a significant change to do things that make me happy. I'm trying to figure out who I really am what makes me tick something I should have figured out along time ago but only realising it now. I think many of us live our lives through other peoples ideals be it parents, media, peers. I think happiness only comes when you discover who you really are and to do things for yourself. It is amazing the bad patterns we pick up and how we always want to please others

The hard thing when your in a job that makes you unhappy is that you know bills need to be paid and it's a way to a means. It is hard when you have that financial pressure and carrying your other half is they aren't working

Ye Hugo the past can be a b***h alright. Especially as past hurt can leave you very shaky with trusting others and taking chances. You feel you always want to protect yourself so you always take the safe option. I'm a creature of habit and tend to sit in the same place, do things a certain way. If you try change that and say sit somewhere differently or do something different it will change your perspective. It's like that change makes your brain wake up again and notice instead of going auto pilot and doing the same motions the same way day in day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Maybe a change in perspective will also affect the autopilot settings. Perhaps one has gotta to be in the mood for change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Im going around in what I can only descibe is a fog.
    Forgetting the simplest of things. Most probably lack of sleep.
    Very withdrawn though.

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    People i think believe that once they achieve they will be happy. So a man may say that once he has the degree and the family, it will all come together. It may and it may not, nothing is certain. Like you say, you have to be happy within yourself. If you dont accept yourself, then no matter what you do, it will not be good enough.

Freud said love and work, but you have to be comfortable in both environments. You must understand your own limitations and ask yourself can i do this or that. If you are in a job, where you are struggling with anxiety for a while, well then you may have to accept that this isnt the job for you. The same with relationships.

You must find you're found equilibrium/comfortable zone in life and that comes from accepting who you are. What you can do and cannot do. We are all human and all have strong points and weak points. And if it means perhaps settling for a life of lower value in the eyes of others, then so be it. It is your life, not theirs.
    handbagmad wrote: »
    Im going around in what I can only descibe is a fog.
    Forgetting the simplest of things. Most probably lack of sleep.
    Very withdrawn though.

Yes thats perfectly normal with this illness I'm afraid. I never had it before until this very bad bought. I went through horrendous insomnia sometimes lucky to get an hrs sleep a night. My mind felt constantly foggy too and my concentration completely gone. I learnt to go with the flow and not take on too much especially cause my body was going through the mill. I literally slowed my pace down. In work I just took things bit by bit. It definitely took me a lot longer to do my tasks. Don't beat yourself up your completely exhausted. I know when I started to get help and my meds got increased that after a few weeks I found it starting to ease. Don't try take too much on watch a little light hearted tv and get plenty of rest and most definitely get some sunshine. Vit d absorption helps in regulating the sleep cycle and actually makes you feel tired for bed. I know it sucks but please avail of all the help resources out there and bear with it. I promise it does get better. Baby steps all the way. Be kind to yourself and do things that make you happy

thanks avnol
    Trying not to think too much n just rest. Even if its watching a movie instead of sleep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

thanks avnol
    Trying not to think too much n just rest. Even if its watching a movie instead of sleep.

Not sleeping again? :-( hope it doesn't last too long..

Not sleeping again? :-( hope it doesn't last too long..

me either x really affecting me now...

Don't like taking them but might ger a few sleeping pills Monday.

Thank god for sky tv eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I've suffered with depression on and off for about 10 years. Opening up to people and being around more people has helped a lot.

Just an idea, how about the depressed folks on here meet up with each other in real life, the support could make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

me either x really affecting me now...

Don't like taking them but might ger a few sleeping pills Monday.

Thank god for sky tv eh?

It's not a bad idea as a temporary and I know that's what you do since you are quite sensible here.. Go for it..

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I've suffered with depression on and off for about 10 years. Opening up to people and being around more people has helped a lot.

Just an idea, how about the depressed folks on here meet up with each other in real life, the support could make a huge difference.

A meet up has been suggested once or twice before - I couldn't do it I think, the anxiety part of things would inhibit me majorly I believe.

Welcome to the thread though, it'll probably eventually happen..

Out of nowhere a crash in mood.. I need to get home out of here and let dog drag me for a walk..

Afternoon all how's everyone today?. Best thing I ever did was get a dog, they are fantastic listeners :). My dog also jumps up to lick away my tears when I cry and also knows when I'm having those bad days he clings onto me. The sleep thing is so frustrating alright. I'm lucky I can sleep most nights now. I think that's due to keeping myself in a routine and working a few hours during the day. If your tired the next day try not to cat nap I know it's so hard but it just enforcing a vicious cycle. I feel your pain though. Sending you all happy wishes for today :)

thanks avnol

I know what you mean I literally got through the majority of films on Netflix at one stage. Make sure your not watching anything too heavy though. Modern family is a great lighthearted series to watch. Love criminal minds etc but had to stop watching it as it didn't make me relax at all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NightOwl88

I agree about not turning this into a thread about big pharma,just do feel that certain medications are hugely beneficial,not just alone but as part of the process,and yet doctors seem to have tunnel vision about what they will prescribe. Although with all due respect to doctors the level of abuse of prescription medicines is very much on the rise,so maybe it's a case of unneedy junkies complicating matters for actual patients with actual problems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Maybe a change in perspective will also affect the autopilot settings. Perhaps one has gotta to be in the mood for change.
    3 years ago i finished the foundation course for counseling and psychotherapy at PCI, nd one of the strangest things I've heard there is that change is easy.
    few months ago I was also reading the book (brainoverbinge.com) on eating disorders (as I suffer from one of those two) from a recovered bulimic and her suggestion was - just stop acting on your urges.. somehow now for the moment those two (approaches) seemed connected..
    A meet up has been suggested once or twice before - I couldn't do it I think, the anxiety part of things would inhibit me majorly I believe.
    Welcome to the thread though, it'll probably eventually happen..
    you are right about the anxiety part, at least as I am concerned. lately - for this last year I do want to meet people and make arrangements, and often am cancelling prior to that due to rise in the anxiety. Home seems like a place where i am most comfortable at the moment, but am pushing myself to meet with people from time to time....
    avnol wrote: »
    I know what you mean I literally got through the majority of films on Netflix at one stage. Make sure your not watching anything too heavy though. Modern family is a great lighthearted series to watch. Love criminal minds etc but had to stop watching it as it didn't make me relax at all lol
    last June i watched all episodes of Braking bad, then Bones all 9 seasons, then veronica mars, then I cannot even remember. It was the only thing I could actually do. Sometimes few days would pass without me even getting out of the bed.. recently I re-watched all of the Bones episodes. they make me feel really good, make me laugh, forget on myself for the time being and i genuinely feel love for these people :)). I am nt sure they are aware how difficult is to wait for their new episodes (season 10 starts in end of September..) but i am so thankful to them however this may sound :d)).......

Joya wrote: »
    3 years ago i finished the foundation course for counseling and psychotherapy at PCI, nd one of the strangest things I've heard there is that change is easy.
    few months ago I was also reading the book (brainoverbinge.com) on eating disorders (as I suffer from one of those two) from a recovered bulimic and her suggestion was - just stop acting on your urges.. somehow now for the moment those two (approaches) seemed connected..

Homer: Marge, I want you to admit you have a gambling problem.
    Marge: You know, you're right, Homer. Maybe I should get some professional help.
    Homer: No, no, that's too expensive. Just don't do it anymore.

Just

yes, sounds like a magic word to me :D

One of my most loved things in this universe is most deffo my dog.
    Right now he's lying on my chest looking into my face making sure im ok xxx

Great therapy are animals. Unconditional love

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

This might sound so silly but I've been suffering with it for well over 15 years and just a few weeks ago I got lepicol and Dr udos probioctics and have seen a massive improvement in my behavior. I didn't even buy this stuff for these symptoms but strangely enough, its been a god send!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone else have really bad physical symptoms? I've had an increase in physical anxiety symptoms over the past few months. Weird feelings running through my extremities, numbness, racing heart, inability to sit still, can't sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours a night, feeling like I'm going to faint and a million other things. I can't sit down but can't move around either. I literally don't know what to do with myself at all. Can't even watch a film right through. I need this to stop before I go back to college or I won't be able to continue to go!

duckcfc wrote: »
    This might sound so silly but I've been suffering with it for well over 15 years and just a few weeks ago I got lepicol and Dr udos probioctics and have seen a massive improvement in my behavior. I didn't even buy this stuff for these symptoms but strangely enough, its been a god send!

Glad for you Duck, not that I've a clue what those things are. Must Google at some point.

Does anyone else have really bad physical symptoms? I've had an increase in physical anxiety symptoms over the past few months. Weird feelings running through my extremities, numbness, racing heart, inability to sit still, can't sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours a night, feeling like I'm going to faint and a million other things. I can't sit down but can't move around either. I literally don't know what to do with myself at all. Can't even watch a film right through. I need this to stop before I go back to college or I won't be able to continue to go!

I get some tics and muscle spasms plus concentration has been pretty shot.. You try keeping brain muscle "trained" by doing puzzles like crosswords or memory tests? It's very frustrating at first I admit but it helps. Sometimes of course you can be too anxious for that so you might need to meditate or use mindfulness to help your brain stop spinning too fast..

Does anyone else have really bad physical symptoms? I've had an increase in physical anxiety symptoms over the past few months. Weird feelings running through my extremities, numbness, racing heart, inability to sit still, can't sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours a night, feeling like I'm going to faint and a million other things. I can't sit down but can't move around either. I literally don't know what to do with myself at all. Can't even watch a film right through. I need this to stop before I go back to college or I won't be able to continue to go![/quote

I do and am in that phase now. Have naff all concentration. Iritable, nervous energy, body exhaustion but little sleep.

My body showing it too, sore gums,cold sore and joint pain.

Its horrible, just going with it. Normally evens out after a few days

Before my exams and thesis I was in bits. I was on sleeping tablets before the thesis (most people want the opposite :pac: ) and mentally I was pretty hectic but physically I was in bits. Constant shaking and headrushes, couldn't go half an hour without a smoke. Before the exams I was on ADs and mentally felt alright but was so drained and nervous it was unreal. There was one exam went worse than anyone thought possible (that's what happens when ya question hunt kids!) and I spent the first half hour sweating, pretty sure it was because I wasn't able to cry. :P Everyone in my course said I seemed completely fine the whole time other than right before the thesis so I dunno how much of it was psychosomatic or whatever.

On another note, it's amazing how little it can take to perk me up at times. :pac: Unfortunately my mind is absolutely racing so I know deep down I'm just setting myself up for a bump in the not too distant future. :P

What I would really really like now is one hug from my best friend.. And she's not even in the same country. :'( Loneliness getting to me again. I mean I'm really grateful for boards and the people that communicate with me here, but phone no does hugs..

but phone no does hugs..

wanna bet? :)

btw I had really bad dreams last night.. woke up few times, but then next one would be as strange as previous one..

i don't like when i have some kind of 'nightmares' cause they are disturbing, and thank God I do not have these often..

so just wondering what my soul is trying to tell me by those, perhaps the unresolved conflicts are trying to crawl their way up to my consciousness...

:unsure:

• Advertisement

What I would really really like now is one hug from my best friend.. And she's not even in the same country. :'( Loneliness getting to me again. I mean I'm really grateful for boards and the people that communicate with me here, but phone no does hugs..

biggest virtual hug my friend x
    I hear you loud n clear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement