Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

bugsntinas wrote: »
    unusual enough.liking the mk2 transit behind,any pics?

Here you go, it's for sale too. Norn Arsh!

20140901_191117_zps39f98f2a.jpg

20140901_191047_zpsb0d849d3.jpg

Tis a leftie, some strange art work on it as well.

A few more around Kenmare today. The traveller is an every day sight, I think I posted it up before.

imagejpg4_zps3548e544.jpg

20140901_204922_LLS_zps8d82334a.jpg

20140901_134456-1_zpsbc3c66b0.jpg

An unusual flowerpot near Bantry:D

imagejpg1_zpsf10ec12e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^I think they're flowers in the wrong place (weeds).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

somewhere between Cork and Carrigaline

IMG_8787.jpg

Togher, Cork

20140901_150627.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

aujopimur wrote: »
    Is this the ex Ford worker/Lower Rd car that was the subject of a restoration some time back?

That's a 1978 or 79 reg, and being a Consul it must be an early MK1 so probably a UK import then?

mb1725 wrote: »
    IMG_8857.jpg

8089 IF is/was a 2.0 Consul, now it's a Granada Coupe :confused:;)

All coupes were 3Litre Ghias in the UK, I don't think they were ever Consuls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

http://old-barn-motors.com/portfolio/ford-consul-2300-gt-coupe-2/?lang=en
    Consul 2dr saloon and coupe, 4dr saloon, 5dr estate were made

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Between 1972 and 1975 the name "Consul" was used because of Legalis Hassleorum from the Granada Television group. Then they were all called "Granada", they were always the same car whatever the body style or engine.

Capri wrote: »
    http://old-barn-motors.com/portfolio/ford-consul-2300-gt-coupe-2/?lang=en
    Consul 2dr saloon and coupe, 4dr saloon, 5dr estate were made

Yes, but in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Yes, but in Europe.

I think the key point to remember is - "They were the same car"

Ford Consul (Granada MkI based) 1972–1975

The Ford Consul name was revived in April 1972 for the lower priced, lower specification variants of the newly introduced Ford Granada. Developed jointly by Ford Britain and Ford of Germany, the cars were built in Cologne in West Germany and in Dagenham in the United Kingdom. Consul models can be identified by a two panel cross-mesh grille as opposed to the horizontal chrome bar grille of the Granadas.

Consul, Consul L and Consul GT models were offered and were available in 2-door saloon, 4-door saloon, 2-door coupé and 5-door estate bodystyles.[10] Unlike the previous Zephyr Estate, the Consul Estate was produced by Ford rather than by an outside contractor.

1996 cc Essex V4 and 2495 cc Essex V6 power units were offered in the UK. In addition, the Consul GT was powered by the 2994 cc Essex V6 engine providing a claimed 138 brake horsepower (103 kW). Because it was less well equipped than the similarly powered Granada, it was approximately 51 kg lighter and correspondingly quicker. This version has gained cult status due to its regular appearance in the original series of television show The Sweeney. In late 1974 the Essex V4 was replaced by the 2.0L Pinto engine.

In Germany the Consul was offered with a choice of German built Ford engines, starting with the 1680 cc Ford Taunus V4 engine familiar to drivers of the Ford Taunus 17M.[14] The 2.0 litre Straight-4 and a 2.3 litre V6 were also available.

The Consul name was discontinued in late 1975 after the UK Court of Appeal ruled that Granada Group could not prevent Ford registering the name Granada as a trademark. The Granada name was then applied to all models

I'd like one of these with a good V8 in it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_Consul_(1973)_I.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Well strangely enough, I have original Mk1 Ford Granada/Consul sales brochures from Henry Ford & Son Cork that do not mention any two door coupe Consuls on the Irish market in the '70s. That white 'elephant' Consul must have been a personal import I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

mb1725 wrote: »
    Well strangely enough, I have original Mk1 Ford Granada/Consul sales brochures from Henry Ford & Son Cork

Oddly enough, that doesnt surprise me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Both Bunny Carr and Larry Gogan used to have coupes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

I saw a Lancia Aurelia on the way in to work this morning, Bray area, navy blue. Gorgeous looking.
    It was on Belgian plates "55 B 20", I think they're the historic plates - red on white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

tc20 wrote: »
    I saw a Lancia Aurelia on the way in to work this morning, Bray area, navy blue. Gorgeous looking.
    It was on Belgian plates "55 B 20", I think they're the historic plates - red on white.

The plates could also signify that it was a 1955 Aurelia B20.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    The plates could also signify that it was a 1955 Aurelia B20.

I was thinking about that. I was cycling by and saw it waiting to come out of a hotel car park onto the main road, the first thing I saw was the "55..." and thought you beauty :cool:. I kept looking over my shoulder to hopefully see it pass before I turned off. That's when I copped the reg on the front, and a Belgian flag sticker on the rear. Gave the thumbs up as they went by and they acknowledged with a smile

tc20 wrote: »

Must keep a look out for it, but according to Wiki the plate you describe doesn't seem to fit their information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Belgian_plate_for_vintage_cars.jpg

or from the 'DIV' bureau
    Definition of vehicle ancestor
    Vehicle in circulation for over 25 years and registered under a registration plate which group of letters beginning with "O" (no distinction between the types of vehicles from 1 July 2013).

Until the end of June 2013, the use of ancestor plate "O" was limited to testing within 25 kms, between sunrise and sunset, to a duly authorized demonstration, or to go to a duly authorized demonstration.

Since July 2013, the ancestor vehicle can be used day and night on the roads and it is not necessary that it be done in the context of a duly authorized demonstration.

.Prohibited Uses
    Since 07/01/2013, this vehicle can be used for the following purposes:

Commercial use: any use for commercial or personal financial gain,
    Professional use: any use for the exercise of a professional activity or operation of a business,
    Commuting between home and school,
    Paid and free transportation transport treated as paid transportation of persons,
    Machine or tool use as well as for intervention missions.

Any proper Belgian plate will have a crest on it , between the B and the 9 on this plate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Belgian_vehicle_registration_plate_for_temporary_registration_(long-term).jpg

So the jury's out for the moment on Belgian or not - what about the old trade plates , but they never came in that format anyway

55 B 20 is a bit like our setup

the plates were the first type you posted Capri, red on white, and the correct Belgian font. Car came out of the Wilton hotel (was the Ramada) on the southern cross road.
    When I first saw the car I did think it was Irish registered.

• Advertisement

I'll go with Kev1.3s on it being 55 B 20 meaning a 55 B20 , but it's not a Belgian sequence so possibly just show plates, and somebody's got Irish trade plates inside?

Supervalu Togher, Cork

20140906_151209.jpg

20140906_151141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Nice XR3, but I don't think those plates are right for the year (1982/3 ?)

bonzodog2 wrote: »

who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Supervalu Togher, Cork

20140906_151209.jpg

20140906_151141.jpg
    I saw it in Crosshaven this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Came across a small group of enthusiasts out for a run today in a mix of modern and classic metal. First to catch my eye was the Esprit V8 GT, pretty rare beast the only figures I could find online says that only 204 of the V8 GT were produced out of around 1500 V8 engined Esprits.
    IMG_20140906_151919780_HDR_zpscc495817.jpg

IMG_20140906_152121722_HDR_zpse9dfd1cf.jpg

IMG_20140906_152148998_zps7ba563c5.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Diabhalta wrote: »
    who cares?
    bonzodog2 wrote: »

Never mind the pre-73 plates.

LGT 710Y - 09 November 1982

✗ Untaxed - Expired: 01 December 2011
    ✗ No MOT - Expired: 04 December 2011
    and no export marker.

You'd of thought it might have been cleared with the Revenue by now. (Is this a different sort elephant or an 800lb gorilla?)

macplaxton wrote: »
    Never mind the pre-73 plates.

LGT 710Y - 09 November 1982

✗ Untaxed - Expired: 01 December 2011
    ✗ No MOT - Expired: 04 December 2011
    and no export marker.

You'd of thought it might have been cleared with the Revenue by now. (Is this a different sort elephant or an 800lb gorilla?)

A lot of the cars on DD now seem to have UK plates - no sale so return to UK and no tax paid :mad:

Other dealers honestly pay up and register here before putting on DD, reckon the Revenue should go back to seizing stuff wholesale as it's making eejits of those that do follow the rules :mad::mad: ( Tho' I saw the Customs programme on RTE where the Revenue turned up at a dealers and yer man got wind of it and didn't show up - the Revenue just went away again :P

From now on I am deleting all the plates before posting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You're welcome.

Photoshop the UK tax discs out too while you're at it.:P

Advertisement