Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

893bet wrote: »
    Hard to predict tomorrow.

If it’s an expensive watch then the arse could potentially fall from the market in the next 3 months. I would wait.

This defo.

There will be huge reductions and availability of watches over the next few months I would imagine. It's not nice that someone will gain from another's pain but that's life unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Can anyone advise me on what I should pay for Omega speedmaster moonwatch ?Im looking for new on near new in a full set.Ive found one on chrono new from a seller in Spain for €3750 which seems good value but have noticed that second hand here are similar prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

scwazrh wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me on what I should pay for Omega speedmaster moonwatch ?Im looking for new on near new in a full set.Ive found one on chrono new from a seller in Spain for €3750 which seems good value but have noticed that second hand here are similar prices

Its like a test for me this question, I get given out to by nasty forum snipers for talking on this topic. But the answer is.

If its a "big display box" one, moonwatch hesalite - second hand price is around 3k for very new barely worn, maybe 3,200 for brand new. A few years old around 2800-3k.

If its a moonwatch but not the big display box version take about 300 euro off.

Reduced - Sub 2k.

For some indication you can rock into an AD where the RRP on one is 4800. Instant 20% discount - 3840 euro - push harder and you can get 30% or 35% dropping it to 3200 brand new from an AD. Are there chaps paying that second hand in Ireland...it would appear so. Do they have rocks in their heads...it would appear so. Dont be like them, get over to TZ.co.uk and get one second hand there, in Ireland lads do tend to overvalue their watches, or buyers tend to be lazy I cannot figure out which.

Good watch, and they shift second hand, always in demand. An excellent choice, and a easy flip if you dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Cheers Fitz,
    It’s the big display box hesalite that I’m looking for . Anywhere you would recommend me to look for a new one at the prices mentioned?

Cheers Fitz,
    It’s the big display box hesalite that I’m looking for . Anywhere you would recommend me to look for a new one at the prices mentioned?

Tz.co.uk but you need 50 posts to access the for sale section. Chrono also, the private sales. The odd irish one pops up at a reasonable price too but they are soon gone. Maybe approach people on this forum that have them and ask if they are thinking of selling...us watch idiots always do be buying and do be selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

Think there is one on TZ a month old for 2700 sterling.

2900-3200 euro seems about right and that’s over priced IMO given how easy discounts are.

Is it worth the 500 more for a new one? Up to the individual. I personally would need a little more off the second hand price to have a big enough gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Is anything actually moving at the moment?

I was going to advertise some cheap stuff, just to liquidate some pieces as I'm laid off, but there does not seem to be much activity.

People are not meeting, or not willing to spend cash.

What's people's sense of the market?

I'd say many are holding fire for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Is anything actually moving at the moment?

I was going to advertise some cheap stuff, just to liquidate some pieces as I'm laid off, but there does not seem to be much activity.

People are not meeting, or not willing to spend cash.

What's people's sense of the market?

I'd say many are holding fire for now.

Yup, I sold my Longines last night. To one of the regulars in here. I'd say stuff moves fine, but maybe not at the prices that were normal a few weeks ago.

What you selling? The link in your boards profile to adverts is not working.

I would say if its priced right it will shift. People are doing a lot of online window shopping at the moment. There is a perception I would guess that there should be bargains to be had, so if your offering them then you will be grand for sales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's a buyer's market at the moment. They have the choice of making an offer or waiting to fall further. I wouldn't like to be trying to sell a Rolex atm.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

gerfmurphy wrote:
    thinking of shifting my steinhart ocean 1 vintage chrono white, not weraing it much and seen something nice i would like to try cost me about 680 so hoping to get that back.

Taking offers on this it seems a bit slow to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's a buyer's market at the moment. They have the choice of making an offer or waiting to fall further. I wouldn't like to be trying to sell a Rolex atm.

Lets see how it is in 3 months. Arse is falling out of the stock market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

gerfmurphy wrote: »

Have a look at sold auction prices on ebay, it'll give you a rough idea what they're making. Another good site I came across is https://watchcharts.com/ but you have to sign up for it.

One anomaly with it is that it doesn't take account of what's in the deal for a particular model of watch. What I mean is bracelets are usually worth more than straps, especially for a Damasko where a flippin bracelet could cost €4-600 approx:eek:

The really good thing about watch chart is that you can see on a graph the difference between sold and unsold prices. However if there isn't enough data on a watch there are no results, and vintage watches are generally not covered.

But everything is topsy turvy this week with c19. It's easy send money but posting a watch might be a different ballgame.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

gerfmurphy wrote: »

I was close a few times this week to making an offer on this but the depth put me off as I wanted something for under a shirt.

Someone will get a great watch at a decent price on this one. Good luck with sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

How tight do you guys wear your sleeves on shirts?! Honest question. Each one of my watches could fit under a shirt sleeve, and i've got some tall ones! Never got the need for it to fit under a cuff. Maybe i'm wearing my shirts wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

unkel wrote: »
    Yup, I sold my Longines last night. To one of the regulars in here. I'd say stuff moves fine, but maybe not at the prices that were normal a few weeks ago.

What you selling? The link in your boards profile to adverts is not working.

Not put anything up yet, was just assessing to the possibility.

I could do with a bit of extra cash right now.

I have the likes of a Citizen Eco Drive Chrono on a mesh, a standard SKX009K, Poljot Blue Angels 3133 on a bracelet (Poljot24.de) and a few fixer uppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Put up some ads with realistic prices. And if you want to sell, expect to have to accept even more realistic offers...

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Citizen Eco Drive Chrono on a mesh, a standard SKX009K, Poljot Blue Angels 3133 on a bracelet (Poljot24.de) .

The EcoDrive will sell but need a deep discount.
    The SKX will fly out, easy sale at a anywhere near reasonable price.
    The Poljot will be a hard sell no matter the price so maybe stick it up for whatever and wait for the right buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

How tight do you guys wear your sleeves on shirts?! Honest question. Each one of my watches could fit under a shirt sleeve, and i've got some tall ones! Never got the need for it to fit under a cuff. Maybe i'm wearing my shirts wrong!

I can fit 14mm watches under my shirt cuffs no problems (and I like to give the watch bracelet a little slack too).

Now most of my shirt cuffs are pretty loose (using cufflinks) but even the button ones fit a speedmaster or pelagos (both 14.3mm) no problems. Never tried one of the 9300 Omegas though - they seem too thick for my puny wrists never mind what shirt I've got on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Anybody here every bought a couple of watches from Adverts and not collected them in person. It ll be a good few quid 2k and im not sure i fancy sending it first before receipt. Does anyone use a escrow service or something?

• Advertisement

aidankkk wrote: »
    Anybody here every bought a couple of watches from Adverts and not collected them in person. It ll be a good few quid 2k and im not sure i fancy sending it first before receipt. Does anyone use a escrow service or something?

Buy the seller. Link to the watch?

Alternatively send a small deposit and hold collection until after travel restrictions have lifted.

Speaking personally for something like 2k I'd definitely want to collect in person (which may not be possible currently of course) if the buyer is in Ireland.

Only exception would potentially be if the person was very well known on this forum or I know personally already. Or if I've done plenty of background reading into history of seller etc.

I've bought watches from overseas of course - US/Singapore etc. and it wasn't possible to collect in person - had to bite the bullet and send on the cash in blind faith - of course having done due diligence on the seller first (how long has the person been active on Watchuseek - do they usually sell these pieces or are they are dabbler in G-Shocks and suddenly want to sell a Patek etc., are the pieces I'm buying coming with full certificates or if not, why not? Are the pieces I'm interested in easily faked or are they esoteric pieces that wouldn't be high up on list of fake watches?)

Rule 1 is buy the seller :) - when I'm selling if I see there's someone genuinely interested in buying my watch for more than a potato I'm happy to discuss the watch in detail, history, quirks etc. I remember when selling my Pelagos you'd get these crazy offers (think €1,000) - if I thought they were being genuine with their budget I'd suggest a Longines Hydroconquest or something similar - some people appreciated the other diver suggestion, some didn't :pac:

893bet wrote: »
    Buy the seller. Link to the watch?

Alternatively send a small deposit and hold collection until after travel restrictions have lifted.

The same seller has that monaco and a longines heritage, im going to try a do a deal. Not done yet but im sure something can be done.

Seem to have good feedback, but im looking into some kind of escrow service with a courier or something.

I would go collect personally. Cost of escrow and courier could easily be 100 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not sure I'd risk it at the moment...

Eoin wrote: »
    Not sure I'd risk it at the moment...

I wouldn't rate it as an essential journey right now either.

Maybe think of it as if the seller will wait until after all this is over then it was "meant to be" - and if someone was willing to buy/accept it by post before that it just wasn't "the one" for you :)

Watches will come around again but the health of oneself and society at large is more important right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Use PayPal and you’re covered

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,529 ✭✭✭micks_address

OmegaGene wrote: »

You'd couldn't send friends and family or gift and you'd have to or receiver would have to pay fees?

OmegaGene wrote: »

If thats the case ill got for it i have pay pal and so does he. I'm currently getting a copy of papers sent to email.

• Advertisement

If thats the case ill got for it i have pay pal and so does he. I'm currently getting a copy of papers sent to email.

Anyone with better knowledge than me like to have a look at papers when i get them. :rolleyes:

Advertisement