Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014 **use spoiler tags til midnight**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I can't remove the spoiler tags on an iPad. Anyone know how?

If you tap them. On android at least, they clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

serious,serious riding outta froome.

"If people want the entertainment value of riders attacking each other, stopping, attacking each other again and again then go back to 'old cycling', which will give you the capability to do that. If you want clean sport and clean cycling, then it's going to be different. You can't have it both ways"

Dave brailsford

"If people want the entertainment value of riders attacking each other, stopping, attacking each other again and again then go back to 'old cycling', which will give you the capability to do that. If you want clean sport and clean cycling, then it's going to be different. You can't have it both ways" -Dave brailsford 2013

To be fair Froome was hardly Bjarne Riis on Hautacam today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Inquitus wrote: »
    To be fair Froome was hardly Bjarne Riis on Hautacam today.

He was better than Riis IMO....and given that he has asthma he is a brilliant climber/TTer

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

MPFG wrote: »
    He was better than Riis IMO....and given that he has asthma he is a brilliant climber/TTer

ah come on. he only put a few seconds in to a 23 year old who just rode the giro and couldnt shake his nearest rival... not how i remember Riis's attack.

Froome looked shocked when he turned around to see Bertie still on the wheel after his first attack. I did chuckle

* thought Kelderman was fantastic today btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was surprised at how poor nibali looked...for a man who is geared solely for the tour this year he has struggled for form and problems with astana...a podium in paris is definitely not a given

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Commentary grated greatly on me today, not sure why. Perhaps all the references to 'Froomey'. What happened to the great monikers of old? The Badger! The Tashkent Terror! The Eagle of Toledo! Il Pirata! I suppose we still have El Pistolero and Purito (where's that come from again?).

I like his racing, but we need something more imaginative than 'Froomey'.

See also: Wiggo.

I am annoyed by Froomey too - not just the name but the familiar way Brian Smith talks about him....and then Kirby too ...too biased in commentary towards SKY...obvious who they want to win ....(besides Netapp)

Need to be a bit more impartial in commentary

(and I am not a SKY hater)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Jesus that commentary today for the final few km's did my head in. I can just about stand Kirby 50% of the time but today tipped me over the edge.

Yesterday I wanted to kick my TV into next week. I only need to hear about the wonderful tunnel and it's lights once, not every time a rider enters the damn thing.:mad:

Yesterday I wanted to kick my TV into next week.

ever thought you might ave anger issues :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

ever thought you might ave anger issues :D

LOL....everyone has their tipping point. I came close to mine.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The chummy Froomey stuff is irritating all right. Kelly's no bull commentary definitely a serious blessing. Thank goodness his standing is so huge, the only reason he'd leave is personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am annoyed by Froomey too - not just the name but the familiar way Brian Smith talks about him....and then Kirby too ...too biased in commentary towards SKY...obvious who they want to win ....(besides Netapp)

Need to be a bit more impartial in commentary

(and I am not a SKY hater)
    It is British Eurosport. Why should they be impartial?

(I find it equally irritating, fwiw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Nibali looks like a rider who has had a long training block at altitude and only finished yesterday. Fair play to him for coming back to the wheels though once or twice. Of all the big guns he's my favourite.

Nibali looks like a rider who has had a long training block at altitude and only finished yesterday. Fair play to him for coming back to the wheels though once or twice. Of all the big guns he's my favourite.

I like Nibbles, but if Froome and Contador had ridden together he would have lost big big time. He looks to me like he will struggle to podium in the Tour and has little chance of being in the mix for the win.

I love Nibali & his attitude but unfortunately he doesn't seem to have any real spark in his legs all season. Could be a very cruel TdF for him.

Lumen wrote: »
    It is British Eurosport. Why should they be impartial?

(I find it equally irritating, fwiw)

The same way Kelly isn't all over the Irish riders, "Come on Rochey" etc. The same way Tony Ward and the chummy versions of the Irish rugby players is irritating. It doesn't become good when it's for your own country's riders 'benefiting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pelevin wrote: »
    The same way Kelly isn't all over the Irish riders
    Kelly works for British Eurosport. If he worked for Setanta I'm sure his commentary would be more partial.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Chris froome is so skinny its scary. His arms on this photo compared to contador are just weird.

It really can't be healthy that. As well as really ugly.

Chris froome is so skinny its scary. His arms on this photo compared to contador are just weird.

But it is effective ...he used to be 72 Kilos racing weight
    Went down to 65kg and took off

BTW his missus is unbelievable on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

He does look unwell alright but it works for him. He has unbelievable muscle power when you consider the size of his legs and body. I think the only reason he looks so unwell is because he is so tall when compared to Contador.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't worry too much about Nibali yet. His coach said in advance he wouldn't be competitive with Froome and Contador because of the schedule they're following. We'll see come the Tour whether he's right.

chawlk it down man, just coz they're pro's don't make em healthy.

I wouldn't worry too much about Nibali yet. His coach said in advance he wouldn't be competitive with Froome and Contador because of the schedule they're following. We'll see come the Tour whether he's right.

ya, true, he talked about the amount of climbing he did, hours in the saddle. I think he could have had too much media duty though during the winter. he had trips over and back to Astana and I guess that all adds up and takes away from training time. can see him moving teams.

Meanwhile Betencur is still missing in action

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Meanwhile Betencur is still missing in action

I read the article yesterday. What's he up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is it just me, or is there a photo being referred to here that is not showing up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

retalivity wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is there a photo being referred to here that is not showing up?

Probably this one

33ngpqs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

sky bots all on the front again today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

godtabh wrote: »
    Probably this one

33ngpqs.jpg

Bloody scary. Not something to aim towards. One day riders a much better look.

Advertisement