Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

PP granted for the co-living redevelopment of the shopping centre. I think this is good news for whatever ancillary stuff comes along in terms of any public space, retail, cafes etc, between that and the redevelopment of Dalymount it'll make a massive difference to the village. On the negative side, construction for 2 years.

And further on the negative side, no homes for young couples to buy...more high rents to enslave the population...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Zipppy wrote: »
    And further on the negative side, no homes for young couples to buy...more high rents to enslave the population...

Supply is supply. If people weren't renting in this new development, they'd be living elsewhere. Overall rent costs decrease as demand is met. Attractiveness for being a landlord also reduces. Properties are sold.

Similar arguments are made when expensive apartments are built, but again it frees up supply elsewhere. It's a slow process, but you've got to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

cgcsb wrote: »
    But is Tesco not still blocking any development here?

It was my understanding that this redevelopment won't affect the ground floor during construction so the redevelopment won't close Tesco temporarily. That would be a shame because that Tesco is a complete kip as is the ground floor area along there.

I'm no fan of co-living but the reality is this was planned before that ban. This is attached to the Dalymount Park redevelopment and will be an overall major plus for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We need supply, supply, supply. There were never going to be homes for young couples to buy above a Tesco. If this development is full of people who'd be otherwise house-sharing then there is a house for a young couple to buy. I just cannot understand why people object to a development because it is X instead of Y, when the actual alternatives are build X or build nothing, what does building nothing do for anyone? The argument has become completely emotive rather than evidence based. If people want to live in co-living then let them, it is not a negative. Young families aren't the only people who need somewhere to live.

We need supply, supply, supply. There were never going to be homes for young couples to buy above a Tesco. If this development is full of people who'd be otherwise house-sharing then there is a house for a young couple to buy. I just cannot understand why people object to a development because it is X instead of Y, when the actual alternatives are build X or build nothing, what does building nothing do for anyone? The argument has become completely emotive rather than evidence based. If people want to live in co-living then let them, it is not a negative. Young families aren't the only people who need somewhere to live.

A big argument from people who are against this development is that the apartments would be occupied by "transient" renters. That suggests to me that these people just aren't welcome by society despite contributing hugely to the economy.

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    A big argument from people who are against this development is that the apartments would be occupied by "transient" renters. That suggests to me that these people just aren't welcome by society despite contributing hugely to the economy.

I've heard that from the likes of Joe Costello and my response is a great big "so-what"? I would like him to explain to me where the likes of young professionals are supposed to live exactly? I live in the area, I would fit the young family definition, and I would 10000% have these unwelcome transient renters than a great big black hole (because that's what it is at the moment effectively) in the middle of Phibsborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

We'll just have to wait till 2025 to change that at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Supply is supply. If people weren't renting in this new development, they'd be living elsewhere. Overall rent costs decrease as demand is met. Attractiveness for being a landlord also reduces. Properties are sold.

Similar arguments are made when expensive apartments are built, but again it frees up supply elsewhere. It's a slow process, but you've got to start somewhere.

The starting point is the problem, that's determined by maximum profit under the current corrupt model. Also there's no incentive to move away from that starting point because co-living and hotel building is more profitable than home building.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yep, and for example most doctors in the Mater hospital would be "transient" workers, as they switch hospitals every few months. But they shouldn't have a place to live in Phibsboro, they're not the sorts wanted...

Are there any co-living developments actually built and in use in Dublin/the country yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

The rooms are 12sqm for single and 18sqm for double including the bathroom.

I agree something is better than nothing but this is not the only viable housing, I hope no more of these get through the system but I hope the Quinns one ends in other housing and not a derelict site for a long time and if the mill one doesn't get through I hope it does not remain derelict also.

dev_ire wrote: »
    The rooms are 12sqm for single and 18sqm for double including the bathroom.

What's wrong with that? I've stayed in smaller in my early days of renting and had more than enough space for what I needed.

What's wrong with that? I've stayed in smaller in my early days of renting and had more than enough space for what I needed.

Are you saying you stayed in smaller than that where it was one room only and where you were sharing the kitchen with 5 other people in a building with 100s of other people or you stayed in a private or semi private bedsit or in a house with less than a dozen other people with its own kitchen and some sort of living room? Huge difference between those two things not to mention the price these new co-living will be and also not to mention the licencee arrangements.

dev_ire wrote: »
    Are you saying you stayed in smaller than that where it was one room only and where you were sharing the kitchen with 5 other people in a building with 100s of other people or you stayed in a private or semi private bedsit or in a house with less than a dozen other people with its own kitchen and some sort of living room? Huge difference between those two things not to mention the price these new co-living will be and also not to mention the licencee arrangements.

In college I shared with 5 other people in student accommodation and enjoyed it. After college I shared with 4 others in a private rented house. No one bothered using the living room and spent most of their free time either in the kitchen or in their bedroom. Very similar arrangement to co-living and would suit a good chunk of people in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Unrelated from the housing topic, but nifty new coffee van after poppin up across the road from Woodstock/Moncks - turns out there's a beer garden at the back of 'McGeoughs' at the corner and it's hidden in there. They've deadly Bojack Horseman cups.

Also spotted that the place beside Kung Fu buffet gone vacant again, feel like that place is cursed. Leo Burdocks, Smokin' Bones, Pizza/Taco/Korean Chicken place. What's next?

Are there any co-living developments actually built and in use in Dublin/the country yet?

https://www.daft.ie/share/the-residence-broomfiled-house-whitehall-dublin-9/2946636

Starting from 819 a month sharing with 4 people, this is also further out of town so the one in Phibsborough will be pricier I would imagine. One of the pictures is two beds in a room so quite crammed but possibly this one os the double bedroom. It is not clear as states "from as little as" so not sure if double is more or not but probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Amirani wrote: »
    Yep, and for example most doctors in the Mater hospital would be "transient" workers, as they switch hospitals every few months. But they shouldn't have a place to live in Phibsboro, they're not the sorts wanted...
    No, what is needed in locations close to where the jobs are is housing for people who would prefer not to work at all. Then the people working in those areas could commute for an hour, it would give them a chance to wake up before starting their shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Shlippery wrote: »
    Unrelated from the housing topic, but nifty new coffee van after poppin up across the road from Woodstock/Moncks - turns out there's a beer garden at the back of 'McGeoughs' at the corner and it's hidden in there. They've deadly Bojack Horseman cups.

Also spotted that the place beside Kung Fu buffet gone vacant again, feel like that place is cursed. Leo Burdocks, Smokin' Bones, Pizza/Taco/Korean Chicken place. What's next?

I was hoping the Mexican would weather C19 to open up properly. The fare was terrific..
    As to the curse - yes. If you check the 1887-1913 OSI maps, you can see that the site has been built on an old Indian burial ground.

I am intensely curious to see the planning application go up for the State cinema site. The synchronised purchase of it on NCR & Tony Murray displays on Phibs road suggests one buyer has picked up a truly massive site..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

pmcc1 wrote: »
    The synchronised purchase of it on NCR & Tony Murray displays on Phibs road
    This was a single site sold in one lot.

This was a single site sold in one lot.

Is there a map or anything showing the site? Didn't realise this at all. Hope it goes to good use.

• Advertisement

Is there a map or anything showing the site? Didn't realise this at all. Hope it goes to good use.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Have been keeping an eye on houses that go up for sale in Phibsborough/D7 and this one seems a bit mad. It's a nice house and all but the asking is absolutely nuts. Seems way above asking for similar places.

Sale agreed above asking price according to a Sherry Fitz flyer.

To be fair, its in fab condition, has a large extension and is pristine condition...still a lot of money though.
    Has a northern facing rear garden..I'll stick with my nearby southern facing garden :).

Saw it had gone sale agreed alright, can't wait to see the PPR!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I saw a twitter thread over the weekend between Gary Gannon, Danny from BangBang and Bohs and a couple of other folks in the know asking what it was going to be turned into - so clearly even those in the know are not totally sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Many pubs around reopen for outdoors? Brian Boru and GBS have some seating available but not sure of many other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Many pubs around reopen for outdoors? Brian Boru and GBS have some seating available but not sure of many other places?

Just saw The Bohemian has reopened with outdoor seating out the back.

Cross Guns/Bald Eagle and mcGowans have outdoor drinking..
    Tolka House too
    Homestead in Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Does the Brian Boru have TVs set up for the Euros?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

raheny red wrote: »
    Does the Brian Boru have TVs set up for the Euros?

No, no TVs outside I believe

Advertisement