Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Went over Broombridge earlier for the first time since it opened. It's a single lane bridge and cars are apparently only allowed over from the Cabra side towards Finglas, but there was a queue of cars waiting to come the other way. Are there no buses that use it yet, or is it just people ignoring the rules?

I think that was one way for years? I may or may not know someone who came up to it and had to cross, got lost from drumcondra on way to cabra with all the one ways in place so short of going further than broombridge or doubling back there is not a lot of options. That area needs a second bridge as I assume broombridge is protected so can't be widened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

dev_ire wrote: »
    I think that was one way for years? I may or may not know someone who came up to it and had to cross, got lost from drumcondra on way to cabra with all the one ways in place so short of going further than broombridge or doubling back there is not a lot of options. That area needs a second bridge as I assume broombridge is protected so can't be widened.

There's lights on either side of the bridge now to control traffic, so while it is one lane you can cross from either side, but coming from the Finglas side apparently only buses and bikes are allowed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Beersmith wrote: »
    I think most would just use Daft.ie way better than looking through windows

Exactly. With a bit of luck (and advancements in medical science) I'll be living in Phibsboro for at least another 150 years. If I set foot inside SherryFitz's door once in that time I'd be surprised.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

deep_dish wrote: »
    Exactly. With a bit of luck (and advancements in medical science) I'll be living in Phibsboro for at least another 150 years. If I set foot inside SherryFitz's door once in that time I'd be surprised.

Fair play to ya.

Other people likely will use it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭ooter

Went over Broombridge earlier for the first time since it opened. It's a single lane bridge and cars are apparently only allowed over from the Cabra side towards Finglas, but there was a queue of cars waiting to come the other way. Are there no buses that use it yet, or is it just people ignoring the rules?

Could be wrong but I think you can turn left on the finglas side on to that road but then can only turn left in to the industrial estate. You definitely can't drive all the way up over the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ongarboy wrote: »

I get why they only want one lane in each direction through Doyles Corner. But the problem with that is the whole idea of Bus Connects is buses have a dedicated continous bus lane so they dont get stuck in traffic. Having them share a lane with cars through Phibsboro is only going to result in longer journey times, thus defeating the purpose of Bus Connects.

Its one of those situations where there is no clear answer because aside from CPOing and knocking buildings there just isnt the space there to make footpaths wider. While the desire for less traffic through Doyles Corner is understandable the other problem is it is a national primary route into the city and thats not changing anytime soon. All that traffic has to get into the city somehow, it cant just be diverted down residential streets to make the village quieter. Perhaps with Bus Connects and eventually the Luas extension car journey times will go up and more commuters living further out than Phibsboro may switch mode from car to bus or tram, that would be a good result for Phibsboro overall but its some way away yet.

Any recommendations for primary schools in the area? Have been thinking about St Peters and the Educate Together in Stoneybatter/Smithfield, any thoughts on those or other schools? I'm not a million miles from the shopping centre so ideally would like to be in walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Any recommendations for primary schools in the area? Have been thinking about St Peters and the Educate Together in Stoneybatter/Smithfield, any thoughts on those or other schools? I'm not a million miles from the shopping centre so ideally would like to be in walking distance.

Theres an Educate together on Broombridge road in Cabra.

Also St Finbarrs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The old 6 storey office block above Tesco (or tower as people who've never seen a skyscraper before refer to it as)looks set to be converted to co-living apartments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/developer-in-late-bid-for-co-living-scheme-on-phibsborough-shopping-centre-site-1.4449345

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

ongarboy wrote: »
    The old 6 storey office block above Tesco (or tower as people who've never seen a skyscraper before refer to it as)looks set to be converted to co-living apartments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/developer-in-late-bid-for-co-living-scheme-on-phibsborough-shopping-centre-site-1.4449345

I was devastated they don't put up the mad wall of yellow christmas lights on em this year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think I'm one of the few people that likes that building. If they refurbed it and done it up it would look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

I don’t mind the building too tbh. My issue is with the poor quality of most shops in that complex and probably an improvement is only possible with the redevelopment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"Any recommendations for primary schools in the area? Have been thinking about St Peters and the Educate Together in Stoneybatter/Smithfield"

Have one in St Peters and its great. Cant speak highly enough about it.

"Any recommendations for primary schools in the area? Have been thinking about St Peters and the Educate Together in Stoneybatter/Smithfield"

Have one in St Peters and its great. Cant speak highly enough about it.

Cool thanks. That's the closest one to us so would be very handy.

I think I'm one of the few people that likes that building. If they refurbed it and done it up it would look great.

I don't really care about the tower itself but everything around it is pretty awful, which is why for me this is for sure what I care most about:
    A civic space linking Phibsborough Road to the North Circular Road with access to Dalymount Park football stadium would also be created as part of the development. Dublin City Council, which owns Dalymount, plans a €20 million upgrade to convert it to a 10,000-seater stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes being able to see Bohs in a decent stadium one day would be nice, before I did. Seems like it's been talked about since I'm a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes being able to see Bohs in a decent stadium one day would be nice, before I did. Seems like it's been talked about since I'm a child.

Every time they try and get that going something happens, recessions, covid etc....

Construction was due to begin shortly I believe with 2023 as the completion date, I’d say that’s more like ‘24 now. Open to correction but....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

Strumms wrote: »
    Every time they try and get that going something happens, recessions, covid etc....

Construction was due to begin shortly I believe with 2023 as the completion date, I’d say that’s more like ‘24 now. Open to correction but....

has the dispute MM/Tesco been resolved finally and officially ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an altered access plan that keeps Tesco on-side now, apparently.

Have been keeping an eye on houses that go up for sale in Phibsborough/D7 and this one seems a bit mad. It's a nice house and all but the asking is absolutely nuts. Seems way above asking for similar places.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

That's a super road,would say the house is too- not sure about the price but houses like that have their own appeal & will probably go for close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Have been keeping an eye on houses that go up for sale in Phibsborough/D7 and this one seems a bit mad. It's a nice house and all but the asking is absolutely nuts. Seems way above asking for similar places.

Eye watering price but you could just move right in.Nothing needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

dubstarr wrote: »
    Eye watering price but you could just move right in.Nothing needs doing.

Exactly.

Only thing I'd do is replace the tiles in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

A bit pricey, but looks like up to 200k spent on it. Attic room also looks like it's properly done with fire-stopped door, but that's a guess from the photo, hard to be sure -- otherwise it's just a storeroom and can't be used as a room.
    A good location either way, and may not be dear compared to buying a fixer-upper.

That is a lovely house, and Shandon is a lovely area, but renovations or not that is a crazy price for a home in Phibsboro.

Just on the above, I wasn't suggesting it wasn't a nice house or nice road, it is just unbelievably expensive and way beyond what I've seen market watching over the last few years. If they find a buyer for that price, good luck to them.

I also just found out today there's plans/an application in for a pile of apartments basically between the canal and Leinster St on that derelict site. Sounds like a good idea to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I thought it seemed like a good use of the space but I said I'd hold off on making my mind up until the crew from Bang Bang shared their views as I knew they would delve a bit deeper into it and, as I suspected, the day after the announcement they shared this on Facebook;

Plans for the old mill just beside the shop....atrocious altogether with 205 apartments 12 stories high and NOT ONE FOR SALE....
    All lease only and €1750 for a 1 bed...surely this stuff has to stop...Dublin is being destroyed by those who profit from housing...

Build homes people can buy/afford and keep the (Palestinian) flag ����

*55 Studios
    *85 One Bed
    *65 Two Bed

As part of the application the developer has provided indicative market rents of €1,400 for the studio apartment and €1,750 for the one bed apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Great to see the new Filo café doing well. Queues are out the door most lunch times.

Good coffee and lovely pastries although the latter are perhaps a bit over priced.

deep_dish wrote: »
    I thought it seemed like a good use of the space but I said I'd hold off on making my mind up until the crew from Bang Bang shared their views as I knew they would delve a bit deeper into it and, as I suspected, the day after the announcement they shared this on Facebook;

Plans for the old mill just beside the shop....atrocious altogether with 205 apartments 12 stories high and NOT ONE FOR SALE....
    All lease only and €1750 for a 1 bed...surely this stuff has to stop...Dublin is being destroyed by those who profit from housing...

Build homes people can buy/afford and keep the (Palestinian) flag ����

*55 Studios
    *85 One Bed
    *65 Two Bed

As part of the application the developer has provided indicative market rents of €1,400 for the studio apartment and €1,750 for the one bed apartments.

I don't want to turn this into the housing crisis thread but I have become convinced it not the Govt or DCC but the citizenry of Dublin who are the ultimate cause of our woes by objecting to every bloody development going. People object, local and national reps row in behind because they want votes, nothing gets done. We need supply, supply, supply. I'm fairly sick of Bang Bang tbh. Happy enough to speak to Pascal Donohoe when they want Dalymount redeveloped I'm sure.
    smeal wrote: »
    Great to see the new Filo café doing well. Queues are out the door most lunch times.

Good coffee and lovely pastries although the latter are perhaps a bit over priced.

I was in earlier actually, 2x pastries and 2x coffees was over 13 quid which isn't cheap but everything was nice. Wouldn't be getting it every day but the odd treat. Also glad to see it doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

smeal wrote: »

Yes, great to see and seem to have a lovely selection. My main issue though is the queue as it means going out on to the road to avoid people. Would be great if they could queue around the corner so then I don't get hit by a bus or taxi. Road surface there shocking also.

Advertisement