Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pbermo

Any idea what’s happening to the empty building beside the Bernard Shaw? Looks like there’s a refurb going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

pbermo wrote: »
    Any idea what’s happening to the empty building beside the Bernard Shaw? Looks like there’s a refurb going on.

To the left as you're looking at it? Was an estate agent until recently enough, not sure what's happening now but presume it's just turning over.

Another thing I noticed, the site of the old car wash at the corner of Connaught St/Shandon Crescent is being leveled, anyone know what's happening there? Did I hear apartments at some point in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

To the left as you're looking at it? Was an estate agent until recently enough, not sure what's happening now but presume it's just turning over.

Another thing I noticed, the site of the old car wash at the corner of Connaught St/Shandon Crescent is being leveled, anyone know what's happening there? Did I hear apartments at some point in the past?

Yep, apartments are being built on the site of the old car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

A new medical clinic I believe with apartment above.

Looks like the Prospect Medical Centre a few doors up the road relocating I'm guessing.

Edit: Planning Cover Letter

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Medical clinic going in.

• Advertisement

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    A new medical clinic I believe with apartment above.

Looks like the Prospect Medical Centre a few doors up the road relocating I'm guessing.

Edit: Planning Cover Letter

Yeah the doctors in Prospect are Kennedy so must be them alright. I bring my kids to that surgery, it's barely fit for purpose tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

I see the Des Kelly site is sold, any rumours about the buyer?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The proposed metrolink line had a station at the Des Kelly site, could be related?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    The proposed metrolink line had a station at the Des Kelly site, could be related?

I think that's at the existing Des Kelly showroom - it's the former showroom (and cinema) on the North Circular Road that's been sold. Huge site, with massive potential

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/former-des-kelly-showrooms-in-phibsboro-guiding-at-5m-1.4309002

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hinfeyg2

Where did you see it marked as sold?

• Advertisement

hinfeyg2 wrote: »
    Where did you see it marked as sold?

I walked past it this morning and the sold sign is up!

Would be brilliant if they did something that added to Phibsborough there, it's just a huge big chunk of dead space at the moment. I'd even take a hotel/student accommodation, at least it would make the spot feel lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

tropple wrote: »
    I think that's at the existing Des Kelly showroom - it's the former showroom (and cinema) on the North Circular Road that's been sold. Huge site, with massive potential

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/former-des-kelly-showrooms-in-phibsboro-guiding-at-5m-1.4309002

Was an ice rink too for people of a certain vintage !

Was an ice rink too for people of a certain vintage !

What year would the ice rink have opened/closed? I'm a blow in to Phibsborough but I have a distinct memory of going ice skating when I was a kid on a school trip, wonder if it was to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2000 I'm sure. We went there in September/October 1999 in school.

Thanks both, might have been to there, definitely would have been before 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The ice rink was definitely there in summer 2000. I brought some American friends there that summer on their only ever trip to Ireland (and my last visit ever to any ice rink after falling badly twice on that same visit!). I think Des Kellys furniture took it over very soon after that, either late 2000 or 2001. Still have a cheap pull out cot bed I purchased from there around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

The Ramones amongst others played in the State cinema back in the day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 just_nosy

Anyone knows what the plans for Tolka Park Stadium are once the Dalymount Park development is completed and FC Shelbourne moves there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Housing you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

just_nosy wrote: »
    Anyone knows what the plans for Tolka Park Stadium are once the Dalymount Park development is completed and FC Shelbourne moves there?

There was talk at one stage of building a bridge across from there to open up access to land across the river which the Archbishop was donating for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

tropple wrote: »
    I walked past it this morning and the sold sign is up!

Would be a great Lidl or Aldi...
    I know there's no parking but another supermarket is badly needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Zipppy wrote: »
    Would be a great Lidl or Aldi...
    I know there's no parking but another supermarket is badly needed...

Brunswick St and George's st lidl don't have any parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

cgcsb wrote: »
    Brunswick St and George's st lidl don't have any parking.

Agree - I was actually thinking of Parnell St Aldi with no parking but yes thee are lots so no reason to not put a supermarket here..the local Tesco is a dump..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

Jackben75 wrote: »
    The Ramones amongst others played in the State cinema back in the day:)

I remember going to see the film Piranha there, must have been in the late 70's. the main attraction was a live Piranha in a tank in the foyer. Long way from the Amazon.

PP granted for the co-living redevelopment of the shopping centre. I think this is good news for whatever ancillary stuff comes along in terms of any public space, retail, cafes etc, between that and the redevelopment of Dalymount it'll make a massive difference to the village. On the negative side, construction for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

But is Tesco not still blocking any development here?

cgcsb wrote: »
    But is Tesco not still blocking any development here?

There's no mention of it in the IT piece, which also says construction to start early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I believe tesco stuff sorted when they were all forced to sit down and talk it out - Have heard of a couple of local councilers and one TD try and take credit :)

But yea, great for the area.

Advertisement